Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Does Jasmine make money for disney?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Jasmine make money for disney?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaddaya mean, she doesn't have a logo?

Lessee... they did manage to market her sleep theme well enough, methinks. I still have the doll that, when you touched her eyes with warm water, would appear to close and then do the reverse with cold water.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Her lotus comb would work just as well - of course, I think they realized that, as there's a doll coming out that comes with a lotus comb.

Yeah, I have a doll upstairs that has a comb for me to brush my hair. That thing is too tiny Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would SO imagine! Very Happy As it is, we probably have more hair than most little girls. My own hair is very long, so it requires a brush with some backbone, LOL.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to any possible Aurora lovers, but I don't know why she's marketed at all. In books and posters with other princesses, she's all enlarged in the middle and Jas is all tiny in the back. Snow White is not exactly girl power, but she was the first original Disney princess. Ariel at least had a series. Cinderella is classic and was one of Walt's favorites. Belle is a good role model. Most little girls you ask about their favorite princesses would probably say Jasmine. Esmerelda gets way more coverage than Pocahontas, who is an actual princess. Out of all these princesses, why is Aurora given so much attention? She was dead half her movie! Or semi-dead...nearly-dead...or...never mind. Embarassed Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's not as loud as some of the other princesses, but there's a quiet elegance about her that makes me like her so much. She's just as sweet and kind as anyone else and has a lot of heart and spirit. She doesn't have to be characterized to one word in order to really stand out. I like how she has a sneaky little personality about her too--"I fooled them" Laughing. Yes, she was sleep for part of the movie, but yeah it's called Sleeping Beauty Laughing. She reminds me a lot of Jasmine in the sense that neither one of them are too happy about that whole arranged marriage thing and would have been super depressed if they would have been forced into that.
Spike
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArabianPrincessKim wrote:
No offense to any possible Aurora lovers, but I don't know why she's marketed at all. In books and posters with other princesses, she's all enlarged in the middle and Jas is all tiny in the back. Snow White is not exactly girl power, but she was the first original Disney princess. Ariel at least had a series. Cinderella is classic and was one of Walt's favorites. Belle is a good role model. Most little girls you ask about their favorite princesses would probably say Jasmine. Esmerelda gets way more coverage than Pocahontas, who is an actual princess. Out of all these princesses, why is Aurora given so much attention? She was dead half her movie! Or semi-dead...nearly-dead...or...never mind. Embarassed Laughing

yea i agree with you..plus that she never had any charizma,her voice is sooo opera, they could have put someone with a catchy voice like ariel or belle instead of putting a very opera voice that would make u feel that the voice doesnt match the character...i would put her in the same list that has the girl in the black cauldren and Nala lion king... Confused Ariel and Jasmine should be 2 main princess not only they had wonderfull movies but series episodes too! as people got to know and come closer to them..i would put snow white the 3rd since she's the first disney classic and then comes pocahontas and belle.
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it would be like if Snow White or Aurora had their own series Laughing
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera, the lack-of-simple definition is exactly a huge part of why Jasmine isn't always featured, and sadly, yes, another reason is the lack-of-Western-style-poofy-gown. They can't sum up Jasmine's whole story or character with one symbol or action. Snow White can have an apple; we know it'll put her into a sleeping death until true love's first kiss. Cinderella can have her pumpkin or her glass slipper. Aurora can go to sleep, or they can just sell her as the stereotypical "princess with long blonde hair, a crown, and a pink dress." *resists urge to rant about the overuse of the pink dress* Ariel has a fish tail; that's rather distinctive enough. Belle can read, although it seems that lately they prefer to market her as "princess with the biggest dress of all!!!!" than someone with any shred of intelligence, so they hand her a rose instead of a book, which is silly because the rose belongs to the Beast, but hey. I flat out refuse to go into the at-length discussions that I can have about the annoying-ness of Disney Princess: The Brand. Because, oh, can I ever...

Umm...Cinderella and Aurora aren't going anywhere (nor do I think that they should). Actually, this strikes me as very interesting, but since I work at WDW, I ask tons of little girls every single day who their favourite princesses are, and Cinderella, Aurora, and JASMINE leave Snow White, Ariel, and Belle in the dust. I hear Cinderella, Aurora, and Jasmine about equally, and all three of them darned often. It proves the motto of this fandom that we don't NEED merchandise for the love of our characters to prevail. (Oh, by the same token, I see little girls DRESSED as Cinderella, Aurora, and Jasmine more than the other princesses.)

So...the Princess line, which at least SOMETIMES includes Jasmine, makes SCORES of money for Disney, and Jasmine...well, at least $60 times however many costumes get sold. She very well could/would make more if Disney would just use her.
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree. Wake up Disney and start paying attention to Jasmine. Although, I did love Belle's poofy gown. Razz
Husse
Genie of da Pibb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in a sense, they already have. Almost all the Princess stuff my sister has collected has Jasmine on it. (It's her favorite,) and it's never in short supply. I don't think they've had too much trouble with it as of yet.

NO YOU CAN'T!

YES I CAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be Disney leaves Jasmine behind because she's not the leading character like the rest of the girls?
As for a symbol I was thinking about a jasmine flower tieing in with her name.
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
She does, but a little bird named Ellen *coughDisneyPrincesscough Laughing * told me after she came from a meeting over the modern Disney princesses that the reason she is not on as much merchandise is because the company really has no real way to represent her. Everyone of the princesses has a symbol that represents them or their movie:

Cinderella-Glass slipper
Aurora-Sleeping
Belle-Books or a rose
Ariel-Anything dealing with the sea or singing
Snow White-Apple
Jasmine-?!?!?

All the symbols for our movie (lamp, carpet, etc) all belong to Aladdin, but you do sometimes see that with her as well on stuff. That's what happens when you don't have the movie centered around you Razz . Although, they do beat that "Jasmine is a caged bird" irony over our heads, the first thought that comes to most people's minds is usually "Aw, she has a bird" not "Oh, that bird represents the movie Aladdin because it is free just as the characters are now". And I don't know about you, but her carrying around a bird cage just wouldn't look cool. Laughing
I'm sure Ellen can tell you more than I can.

Maybe the white flower that Aladdin gave her. She has white lilies on her night stand.
persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasmine's symbol could be a jasmine, couldn't it?
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariposa79 wrote:
Maybe the white flower that Aladdin gave her. She has white lilies on her night stand.

persian85033 wrote:
Jasmine's symbol could be a jasmine, couldn't it?

I think the flower Aladdin gave her was a jasmine, actually. Shocked

I would have thought the problem would be that since she doesn't have a big dress like the other princesses that when you try to put her on stuff with the rest of them it would look lopsided.
persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it was. That's why I'm thinking her symbol could be a jasmine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum