Welcome Home Tamir by Karen



Summary: The Sequel To "Little Orphan Sandy" and "The Last Lullaby". An unusual story, with a twist, following the adventures of Sadira and Mozenrath as they conquer their pasts... and build their own future...
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Original Characters, Aladdin, Jasmine, Mozenrath, Sadira
Genres: Dark/Angst, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 12/05/04
Updated: 12/05/04


Index

Chapter 1: Prologue: Somewhere Down the Road
Chapter 2: Chapter 1: Look Through Heaven's Eyes
Chapter 3: Chapter 2: River Lullaby
Chapter 4: Chapter 3: Please Be the One
Chapter 5: Chapter 4: You are My Light
Chapter 6: Chapter 5: I Will Be There For You
Chapter 7: Chapter 6: Stay With Me
Chapter 8: Epilogue: When You Believe


Chapter 1: Prologue: Somewhere Down the Road

Welcome Home Tamir

Sequel To "Little Orphan Sandy" And "The Last Lullaby"

By Karen

Prologue

Somewhere Down The Road

With my head lowered sadly, I walked the dark, dimly lit streets of Agrabah, making my way home. "Home?" Now why did I call it that?. I have never had a real home, and I doubted that I ever would. The old underground ruins I was living in now were really no different then the orphanage I had left behind as a child. It was not home, just a building.

The grand banquet celebrating the engagement of the princess Jasmine to her fiancee, Aladdin, had been nothing less then spectacular. There was delicious exotic foods and delicacies from faraway lands, extravagant decorations throughout the royal palace, and the guests had been wearing the finest silk and linen, sporting dazzling gold and silver jewelry, with the largest baubles and finest cut stones I had ever seen... So why was I feeling so miserable? And why had I left that wonderful party just to walk the filthy streets on my way back to that cold, underground tomb I so jokingly called my home?... Bad memories perhaps, or maybe envy... It might even be both...

It had all happened so fast... My meeting Aladdin, developing that silly school girl crush on him, discovering the ancient secrets of the Witches of the Sand, and trying to use them and my newfound powers to make Aladdin fall in love with me instead of Jasmine... But I finally gave up once I realized that even with my powers which were slowly developing and becoming stronger, and even with my childish stubbornness that has helped me to survive all those years on the streets, I could never change the fact that he would always love her... This became easier to accept once I admitted to myself that I only wanted Aladdin out of loneliness, and not love...

I don't know why I was deluding myself in the first place. Jasmine is the princess of Agrabah, with pure royal blood flowing in her veins, and I am only a worthless orphaned street rat. She is beautiful and well dressed, while I am plain, homely, and wear ragged hand me down boy's clothes. She is intelligent as well as educated, and I don't know anything but what I've been taught on the streets and what I've read in the ancient scrolls of the witches of the sand. Before Jasmine was engaged to Aladdin, she was considered a prize, and sought after by many handsome and wealthy young suitors, most of them princes. I on the other hand, am also considered a prize... by the authorities!. And so far, the only men chasing after me are the sultan's guards!. Of course anyone in their right mind would loose their heart to Jasmine immediately!. What was I thinking, trying to get Aladdin to love me instead of her?. Love, I had come to learn, was a privilege reserved only for a special few who earned it. It was for dashing, legendary heroes like Aladdin, or beautiful, perfect princesses like Jasmine. No, love was not for me, and noone was ever going to want to love me. Those were lessons I should have learned a long time ago when my mother abandoned me at the orphanage. Thank goodness that this whole business with Aladdin has helped to remind me!.

Despite what I had done to them in the past, Aladdin and Jasmine had told me that I could always be their friend. Friend, that was all. Sometimes they visited me, bringing their friends the genie, carpet, Abu and Iago with them, and once or twice they had invited me to the palace for special occasions, such as the engagement banquet, but I was never a part of their lives like their other friends were. I was just someone they remembered once in a while.

Of course the happy couple spoke to me during the banquet, but I could tell from the way they were holding hands, and staring dreamily into each other's eyes, that I never really had their full attention. They were so in love, and seemed so lost in their own happiness. I remembered gazing around the banquet hall at the guests. It looked like everyone there had brought someone with them, a husband, a wife, a lover. I found myself looking enviously at the wealthy families that had been invited. Some of them had even brought their children with them to the banquet. Smiling children, loving parents, devoted husbands and wives, lovers, they all seemed so happy and content with their lives. Perhaps that's why I left the party early... to get away from all of those happy, content, smiling people that made me feel so alone...

"Now, that's enough!," I scolded myself. "Stop feeling sorry for yourself, girl. At least you have their friendship, and at least you're not in the dungeon for what you've tried to do to them."

I turned a corner, and headed down into the underground palace... Lighting a torch, I made my way through the ruins, entering a small room... I had an oven propped up, a small table and a few ragged pillows. On some handmade shelves there were a number of scrolls, some containing simple recipes for food, others containing magical spells and incantations. I had found these scrolls when I came upon this place. They were the ancient teachings of the Witches of the Sand. I had used some of these spells in the past, and they had worked to a certain degree... but, as time went by, I realized that I wanted little to do with magic, spells, or witchcraft anymore...

I gazed around the room... So much had happened to me since I had found this place... There were so many bad memories here... Sadly, I wandered over to the corner of the room where I kept a half a dozen or so ragged pillows for my bed. I laid down, hoping that some sleep might separate me from my unhappiness for a while. Instead I just lay there, staring at nothing, tears running down my cheeks as I struggled not to remember my past. But those memories where always there, and they were haunting me more then ever tonight... My mother probably didn't want a child, just another unwelcome mouth to feed, so she left me to the mercies of that witch who called herself an orphanage director, condemning me to this life of loneliness, to this never ending search for love, which of course was just a childish dream... When I was close to thirteen, I ran away from the orphanage to escape being taken to some rich man's harem and losing what little pride and dignity I still had left... Little did I know that I would cause the death of the one friend I had there, a sickly little girl named Aisha, and to this day I still hate myself for it... When I arrived in Agrabah, I was sure that things would go better for me... But my life here was little better then it had been at the orphanage. Still I was forced to steal food and money from other people to keep myself alive, still I had noone who cared two dinari about me, or even noticed me. No, that was not entirely true. Aladdin and Jasmine noticed me once in a blue moon, and they have helped me a number of times... Once, when I was still new in Agrabah, I was captured by a wicked man and taken to his kingdom to be a slave to his apprentice... I don't remember much about him except that he was only a few years older then me, hardly more then a young boy... I thought he might alert his master when I managed to run away from that place, but he didn't. In fact he all but helped me to escape, in a way... And then there was Aisha of course...

But Aladdin and Jasmine were formally engaged now, and would probably want nothing to do with me once they were married and ruling the kingdom... That mysterious boy was far away, and in a place that existed only in my memories and nightmares... I wasn't even sure if he had been real, or just some dream... And Aisha... poor little Aisha... She was gone, gone! Because of my stupidity and selfishness!.

Shaking my head, I sat up, unable to sleep. Remembering that I was still wearing the silken pink and white dress that Jasmine had leant me for the banquet, I slipped out of it and changed into my ragged shirt, vest and trousers. There was something familiar, and even comforting, about these old, worn out clothes, I thought...

Taking an old feather pen, I snatched up a blank scroll and began to write...

Aladdin And Jasmine

Thanks for inviting me to your engagement banquet tonight. I'm sorry to have left so early. Hope you're not offended, it really had nothing to do with you.

By the time you read this, I'll probably have already left Agrabah. I've got allot of reasons I can't explain. I just want to apologize for everything. For lying to your faces, going behind your backs, and mostly for trying to split you up.

I'm also returning that dress you lent me. I know you said I could keep it, but I don't like to take charity. Thanks anyway though.

I'm leaving Agrabah tonight. I don't belong here anymore, but I'll never forget you and how nice you both were to me. Maybe I'll see you all again someday. Congratulations again on your engagement. I'm glad I wasn't able to stop it with all the trouble I've caused you.

Your friend, always,

Sadira

I looked the letter over, satisfied that my decision to leave Agrabah was the right one. I carefully folded up Jasmine's dress and left the letter on top of it. I knew they wouldn't be to bothered by my leaving, in fact I was sure that they would be as glad as I was. After all, what woman could honestly say she was comfortable being chummy with the same girl who had tried on several occasions to take her beloved fiancee away from her?. And what man could possibly be at ease around the same girl who had tried to gain control over him and his emotions?.

Grabbing an old traveling cloak that I had found in the alleyway one time and washed up, I made my way out of the palace ruins and out into the night... As I walked through the city I gazed around at the familiar buildings, hovels and alleyways that made up the larger part of Agrabah... It seemed like ages since I had been a stranger on these streets... As I left the city and started into the desert, a sudden rush of fear crept over me. What if I couldn't find a place to stay and live? What if I couldn't find anyone who would show me the same consideration as Aladdin and Jasmine had done? What if this was all just a big mistake?... Maybe I should go back...

"No," I finally decided. "There's no back... Only forward."


The rain had stopped and the clouds slowly rolled away, revealing the stars and the radiant crescent moon, washed clean by the recent shower... Lifting my head, I gazed up at them, forgetting that the reason I had hid my face in the first place was to conceal the fact that I was on the verge of showing tears, something I had done only once before...

"Master crying?..." came a hoarse, but sympathetic voice...

"No, Xerxes," I hissed through clenched teeth. "I never cry!."

"But master lose his power... Thought master always cried when lose things?... Like when he lose sister..."

"Shut up!," I screamed, grabbing him by his mouth and throwing him roughly to the cold ground. "I thought I forbade you ever to speak of that, you worm?!."

"Sorry, sorry," the eal murmured, cowering at my raised fist. It might not have any magic left in it, but it could do an awful lot of damage to a creature his size.

"Go away, Xerxes!," I commanded him. "Just go away. I want to be alone now."

Obediently, my familiar scurried away into the ruins of my old home, the citadel... No, it had never really been a home before, but now it looked, and felt, like less of a home, more then ever now...

It had only been two days since everything had been destroyed, thanks to that treacherous spirit in the Book of Khartoum and that insufferable street rat, Aladdin... Aladdin!. Yes, he was the cause of all this. From day one he had been standing in my way of taking over the kingdoms of the seven deserts. This incident was just another example of his meddling, although this time I had lost much more then my pride and my dignity from battling with him... I had lost the most valuable thing I could ever own. I had lost the thing I had sacrificed so much for, the thing that had caused me years of endless suffering and grief... My power!. Almost five years ago I had taken that magic gauntlet, not caring what the consequences would be, not caring that I had to give the flesh off my own right arm for the power. But my arm was a mere trinket compared to what else I had lost that night...

I suppose it ran in the family. When I was an infant, my mother gave her own life to save mine. Years later, my sister, the sister I hardly even got a chance to know before she was taken away from me, like everything else in my life, would make the same kind of sacrifice... But what good were those sacrifices now?. Here I was, cold, hungry, my fine robes in tatters and my kingdom destroyed. My power was gone, and all I had to show for it was... was... I took off the glove... This, I thought as I stared down at my skeletal hand in pure hatred. Without my power, without my kingdom, I had nothing. I was just an ugly freak, condemned to wander the seven deserts, begging and stealing to keep myself alive. Why, now I was no different then that worthless, no account street rat, Aladdin. No, as a matter of fact, I was much worse off. At least Aladdin had his magic carpet and his powerful genie. At least he had his lovely, wealthy princess to see to his every need. I on the other hand, had nothing and nobody. In fact, the only person who had come close to being a part of my life was a little girl... My former master had brought her in from the streets of Agrabah to train as a new servant or apprentice... but I let her escape in the end... I doubted I would ever see her again... and I probably wouldn't even recognize her if I did... By now she was either dead, or, in one way or another, a part of someone else's life... I wasn't even sure if she had been real, or just some dream I had had...

"It's not fair!," I muttered, burying my face in my arms. "I've lost everything!. It's just not fair!."

"No, nothing ever is, I'm afraid."

I spun around, startled at the new voice. Standing almost beside me, was an old, blind man... He looked somewhat familiar...

"I... I remember you," I said. "You're... You're... You're the man I saw the night I conquered The Land Of The Black Sands..."

He nodded. "Yes."

Quickly, I wiped the tear stains off my face, embarrassed. "What do you want, old man?. Unless you can give me my power and my kingdom back, you'd better go away."

He shook his head. "Of course I cannot give you back your power. That was what started you along this self destructive path in the first place. You should be grateful you lost the magic in the glove, for you would not have lasted another year with it."

"Grateful?!," I scoffed. "Grateful for this?!." I revealed my hideous arm. "At least having the gauntlets power made this halfway bearable... but what will I do now?."

"That is your own affair," the old man answered gently. "But I will give you the one kind of help you are still able to receive... Look."

I looked down at myself... and gasped!. For instead of the once fine robes, that had become dirty and tattered from the last battle with Aladdin, I now wore ragged, patched trousers and a faded shirt with a belt, just like common everyday peasants would wear!.

"Huh?." I glared at him. "What's going on?."

He gave no answer, instead he raised his hand... Almost instantly I felt a strange drowsiness come over me... I fell on my hands and knees to the ground...

"By... Allah..." I whispered... It was becoming a struggle just to keep my eyes open... "What's... happening... to..." but I could not even finish my sentence before my world grew dimmer and dimmer, finally becoming a sea of darkness...


Fasir frowned as he looked with pity at the sleeping former sorcerer... Usually he did not choose to interfere in a mortal's life like this, but this time there was no other alternative...

"Poor boy," he said softly. "You have created a dark, cold, and unhappy life here for yourself. Therefore, I have no choice but to give you a chance to start a new life..."

He raised his hand once again, and a glow of light enveloped Mozenrath's unconscious form... Then, in a blinding flash, the young former Lord of The Land Of The Black Sands was gone...

Fasir sighed. "When you wake you will be far away from here. You will have no memories of your past, nor will you remember what happened here. I'm afraid it is the only way..."

"Not so fast, old man," came a jeering voice. "Aren't you forgetting something, a teensy tiny detail perhaps?."

Slowly, Fasir turned to face the mysterious figure standing in the shadows. "And what might that be?."

"Your prophecy, you old fool!. When the boy loses his power, that's where I come in. I am the evil that was reborn from it."

"On the contory," he smiled. "I have not forgotten anything, but I think you have."

"Such as?..."

"My friend, you don't seem to remember the most important part of the prophecy. I never felt the need to explain it to him, but I think you should have known... after all, you are a part of him. You seem to think you can destroy him, just like you have always wanted to, now that he is helpless. But remember, you cannot touch the boy until he gets his memory back... and Allah knows how long it might be until then."

"That's not fair!. You tricked me, old man!," the dark figure whined.

"Perhaps..." Fasir chuckled softly. "Perhaps..."

So much pain and no good reason why
You've cried until the tears run dry
And nothing here can make you understand
The one thing that you held so dear
Is slipping from your hands

And you say...
Why, why, why
Does it go this way?
Why, why, why
And all I can say is...

Somewhere down the road
There'll be answers to your questions
Somewhere down the road
Though we cannot see it now
Somewhere down the road you will find mighty arms reaching for you
And they will hold the answers at the end of the road

Yesterday I thought I'd seen it all
I thought I'd climbed the highest wall
Now I see the learning never ends
And all I know to do is keep on walking
Walking round the bend singing...

Somewhere down the road
There'll be answers to your questions
Somewhere down the road
Though we cannot see it now
Somewhere down the road you will find mighty arms reaching for you
And they will hold the answers at the end of the road

Why, why, why
Does it go this way?
Why, why, why
And all I can say is...

Somewhere down the road
There'll be answers to your questions
Somewhere down the road
Though we cannot see it now
Somewhere down the road you will find mighty arms reaching for you
And they will hold the answers at the end of the road

Why, why, why
Does it go this way?
Why, why, why
And all I can say...
All I know to say now is...

Somewhere down the road
There'll be answers to your questions
Somewhere down the road
Though we cannot see it now
Somewhere down the road you will find mighty arms reaching for you
And they will hold the answers at the end of the road

("Somewhere Down The Road" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Nashville)

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 1: Look Through Heaven's Eyes

Chapter 1

Look Through Heaven's Eyes

Breathing heavily, and stumbling on through the cold and windy desert night, she struggled to fight back the tears that were already welling up in her eyes, making it difficult to see clearly... Finally, she collapsed, exhausted on the ground... It had been almost two days since she had run away from Agrabah, and there was still no sign of any other village or kingdom, nothing to eat, nowhere to sleep... but that was not terribly unusual for her. She had gone hungry before, and she had been cold and uncomfortable before too. Only this time it was different. This time she did not have the meager shelter of an ally or a doorway. This time there was no faint glimmer of hope that she would be able to steal a bite to eat the next morning...

Using her ragged traveling cloak as a blanket, she wrapped it around herself and shut her eyes, trying to squeeze back the tears, but it did no good. They started to flow down her darkly tanned cheeks almost faster then she could wipe them away. What a fool she had been!. First she had run away from the shelter of the orphanage and abandoned her only friend to die, just to wind up on the streets of Agrabah where life was little better. Then, just as she had started to make friends there, she had run away again, only to perhaps die of hunger and exhaustion out here in this Allah forsaken desert!. Why was she so foolish?. Why did she never think before she acted?. If she had been smarter, she could have been back in the ruins of that palace with a warm fire and a little food. She could have settled for being a small part of Aladdin and Jasmines lives, but no! She had to let her bruised ego get in the way of her judgment, as always!. Now here she was, hungry, cold, lonely, and more miserable then she had ever been in her life...

"I may as well just lie down and die right now," she muttered through her tears. "Noone will miss me, that's for sure. Noone will care, or even notice." She gazed up at the starry night sky, remembering another night like this... The night she had learned of Aishas death, and the night she had been reduced from a lonely orphan to a worthless, no account street rat...

Sobbing quietly, she buried her face in her hands, ashamed. "I didn't have much before," she whispered. "But now I have nothing, nothing!. Why was I so stupid and and selfish and pig headed?. I don't deserve to live!."

"Nonsense, child," came an unfamiliar, but gentle, pleasant sounding voice. "Everyone deserves to live, and to be happy doing it."

Quickly, her head shot up and she gasped!. In front of her was another woman. She was dressed plainly, and seemed to be about in her prime, but still quite pretty.

"Who... Who are you?..." she whispered, shocked. She didn't think there would be a sign of human life anywhere in this no man's land.

The woman gave her a patient, gentle smile, the kind a parent gives a beloved child who is a little slow at learning a new skill. "I am one who asks what you are doing here, crying and shivering in the middle of the desert on a night like this, when there is a warm fire, food, and company back at my camp?."

"Camp?." She smiled faintly, relieved at the idea. "You're caravan traders then?."

"In a way. We are Beduins," was the simple reply.

Beduins?. She had heard of these people. They were desert nomads, traveling to wherever there was decent grazing land and water for themselves and their animals. Yet she felt rather uneasy. She remembered hearing how war like they could be, and how it was not unusual for a small village or caravan to be attacked and robbed by one of their tribes... But this woman did not look war like, and she was offering food and shelter for the night...

"Thanks," she whispered, accepting the woman's outstretched hand. "My name's Sadira."

The woman nodded, as if she already knew... "And my name is Nefertari. You are most welcome into my camp, Sadira."

She followed Nefertari over a small dune, and her eyes widened at what she saw. There were at least fifty or more people, men, woman and children, all gathered around a large fire. They were all laughing and talking excitedly, enjoying a generous supply of food that was spread around the middle of their circle.

Once they saw Nefertari, whom Sadira guessed must be their leader, approaching with a stranger, most of the woman and children got to their feet and rushed over to them, asking a dozen questions at a time.

"Who are you?."

"Where did you come from?."

"Where are you going?."

"What were you doing wandering in the desert with no food or water?."

"Easy, easy everybody," Nefertari laughed, raising her hand for momentary silence. "This is Sadira and she has been through a great deal, so until she wishes otherwise this young lady will be staying on with us as a guest. I hope you will all welcome her."

A murmur of agreement passed through the small crowd, then some of the woman took Sadira by the hand and led her over to the fire. There they offered her some food and water. She devoured the food hungrily, as she had not had a thing to eat since she left Agrabah. The water soothed the burning dryness in her parched throat. When she had finished, she turned to Nefertari and her people, who were watching her with expressions of both concern and interest on their faces. "Thanks," she whispered, with a faint, tired smile.

They all nodded, smiling back warmly.

"You must be exhausted," Nefertari said kindly. "I will have another tent put up for you to sleep in tonight. It's no palace suite, but at least it's better then sleeping out in the open on a night like this."

Later that night, Sadira found herself falling asleep in a small Beduin tent, warmer and more comfortable then she had ever remembered being before. For a brief moment, she worried that it might all just be a dream... Then she shook her head. No, it was to real to be a dream. Perhaps she had died out there in the desert after all, and this was Heaven... No, this was nice all right but it didn't seem like Heaven, at least not the Heaven talked about in the Koran... No, this all had to be real. With that thought hanging over her, the young runaway closed her eyes and surrendered herself to a deep, peaceful, dreamless sleep...


A few days later, Sadira was making her way down to the nearby river in the lazy afternoon heat... It had been close to a week since she had been rescued by Nefertari and her tribe, or the Asiyah, as they preferred to call themselves, and she was grateful for their kindness, and for them welcoming her to stay with them as long as she needed. Life here was certainly happier and better then it had been in Agrabah. No filthy alley ways, no rats, no starving, sickly children being beaten if they ever dared to ask anyone for a crumb of food or a coin... Yet, despite her present happiness, she still felt like a small part of her was empty somehow... Everyone here had a family. A husband, a wife, children. Often she watched these families together, and although it was not as painful as it had once been, it still left her with a hollow feeling inside. The worst times were at meals and gatherings, when she would see all the children sitting with their parents, brothers and sisters in a group, while childless couples and lovers sat together holding hands. Sometimes, she would feel that all to familiar pang of envy creep into her heart as she watched them from where she sat on her own... But she would always reproach herself quite sternly afterwards. What right did she have to be even the slightest bit discontent?. For the first time in her life she had a place to stay where she was treated as an equal, and not as some pariah to be pitied and offered a handout every now and again. She wasn't sure how long she would be staying with Nefertari and her people, but she knew that she would never forget them, and how kind they had been to her...

Just then she was distracted from her thoughts by a friendly voice calling to her. "Hello, Sadira!."

"Hey there!," she called back to Nefertari, who was wading almost knee deep in the river. It was an unusually hot day and the cool river water seemed inviting. "What a scorcher it is today, huh?", Sadira smiled. "A real change from that monster sand storm last night."

"Yes," she laughed. "I swear, sometimes the desert weather can be every bit as unpredictable as the ocean."

"You don't mind if I come in too, do you?."

"Of course not, make sure to roll up your trousers though."

Chuckling, she sat down and rolled up her ragged trousers to her knee. Then she made her way into the water, enjoying the relief from the heat... As she strolled through the relaxing coolness her thoughts drifted again... In her childhood she had lived in an orphanage in some old village that she could no longer remember the name of. Then she had run away to live on the streets of Agrabah, where she was stupid enough to develop a crush on a man who was already engaged to a woman whom there was absolutely no chance of competing with, only to try to take him away from her with cheap magic tricks and lies. Of course, she had managed to partly redeem herself eventually... but she knew there was nothing left for her back in Agrabah. And now here she was, a guest of a nomadic desert tribe for Allah knew how long. It was the first place she had even remotely felt she belonged...

"Oh my goodness!. Look, there's something here!," came Nefertari's voice. The leader of the tribe was standing near the shore, looking behind some reeds at something...

"What is it?," Sadira asked making her way over to where she was...

"A man... No... a boy..."

She peered through the reeds too, and sure enough there was a young man laying on the shore...

"Is he?..." Sadira whispered fearfully... The boy's eyes were closed, and she couldn't tell if he was breathing or not...

Nefertari felt his neck and wrist. "No, he is still alive. I can feel a pulse. Poor boy, he must have gotten caught in that sandstorm last night. Here, help me carry him back to camp."

River, oh river, flow gently for me
Such precious cargo you bear
Do you know somewhere he can live free?
River, deliver him there...

("Deliver Us" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Soundtrack)


A few minutes later, Sadira was sitting by the unconscious boy after he was placed on a small bed in her tent... Curious, she studied him. He was certainly not so dashing or as ruggedly handsome as Aladdin was. His face was pale and gaunt, he was so thin he could almost be called scrawny. He had full lips and limp, curly black hair. To add to this, his clothes were even more ragged then her own, and dirty. Yet, she couldn't help but want to look at him again... Although not handsome, he had a rather pleasant face, despite its gauntness...

Then she noticed the glove on his hand... It was ordinary looking enough, but why would he be wearing only one?. Perhaps he had lost the other in the sandstorm last night?. He must have really been through something...

Her curiosity even more aroused, the girl took his limp arm and gently pulled off the glove... It was all she could do to hold back a scream! For instead of a regular human arm, all there was was a hideous skeletal hand, as if the flesh on his arm had been eaten away, clear to the bone!.

Quickly, Sadira put the glove back on him. It wouldn't do for anyone else to know of this. "Poor kid," she thought as she stared at his pale face. "What happened to you?..."


Part of him desperately wanted to wake... Another part of him hurt so badly that he wanted to remain unconscious... But, eventually, his head cleared, and his eyes slowly fluttered open...

He found himself looking into a pair of wide blue green eyes... They were so deep set, so clear, and so breathtakingly beautiful that for a moment he he thought he would lose himself in them, like he was slowly drowning in the middle of a calm blue green sea... As his vision adjusted, he realized that those eyes belonged to a face, the face of a pretty young woman, a woman scarcely out of girlhood... She couldn't have been much more then seventeen or eighteen years old...

She gave him a cheerful grin. "Welcome back," she greeted him in a sweet, clear voice.

"Ooooo..." the boy moaned as he sat up, rubbing his aching forehead. "What happened?... Where... where am I?..." And who am I?, he wanted to add... But he felt rather self conscious about asking her that just yet...

The girl tilted her head. "Don't you remember?. You must have gotten caught in that sandstorm last night. You were lucky though, we found you and brought you back to our camp."

He shook his head. "Camp?... Is that where I am?..."

"Yup," she answered, as if it were obvious. "You're in the camp of the Tribe of Asiyah."

"I... I see..." he nodded.

She looked at him curiously for a moment, then she sat down closer beside him, bringing her arms around her knees. "So, what's your name?," she asked.

"M... m... my name?..." he stuttered uncomfortably. "Well... it's... ummm... that is... it's... er..."

"Yeah?..." She crossed her arms.

"Well... ummm..." he muttered. "This... This is going to sound crazy... but... ummm... I don't remember my name... In fact, I don't even remember anything up to now..."

Her eyes widened. "Really?. You mean to tell me you don't even know who you are?."

"Er... yes..." He gave her a sheepish smile...

"Hmmm," she said thoughtfully. "You must have really been through something."

He smiled ruefully. "I... I... I don't really know... But something tells me I don't want to remember what happened to me last night."

They both grinned at that, and the young girl stood up. "Well then," she smiled. "Since you don't know your real name, we'll just have to make one up for you. Any ideas?."

"Not really," he shook his head.

She looked at him thoughtfully. "Hmmm, you know, you look kind of like a Tamir to me. I think it means something like "rich in date and palm trees" . How about that for a name?."

"Tamir..." He tested the name on his lips. Then he smiled, he rather liked the sound of it. Although he doubted he was, or ever had been, rich in anything, let alone fruit trees. "All right, that's what I'll call myself, for now at least."

"Great," she nodded. "I'll have to talk to everyone here, but I think they'll let you stay on, just like they let me, if you want to. We could always use the extra help. You interested?."

"Of course," the boy agreed. "I'd be glad to... It's not like I have anywhere else to go..." he finished softly...

She patted his arm sympathetically. "Don't worry about it." Then she switched to a cheerful grin. "But in the meantime, you can wash up and change into some fresh clothes. No offense, but you really look terrible."

He looked down at himself in surprise. Yes, she was right. His hands and arms were covered in dirt. The shirt and trousers he wore where soiled and torn. His hair was probably all tangled and messed up. He had to smile, in spite of himself.

"Here," the young woman handed him a towel, some clean trousers, and a plain, fresh shirt. "You can wash up and change into these by the stream outside, everyone's finished there now."

He gratefully accepted the bundle. "Thank you."

"No problem," she smiled. Then she started to make her way out of the small tent. "I'll just go tell everyone about you so they don't freak out when they see a stranger running around here. See you later!."

Tamir watched her as she disappeared behind the flap of the tent... "I just hope everyone else around here is like that," he thought...

As he was about to leave with the towel and clothes, he noticed something on his arm... It was a glove, a plain enough looking one... but there was still something eerie about it... It was brown, and had a black rim on the end...

"Now that's funny," he thought out loud. "I wonder how on earth I got this?..."

Curious, he removed the glove... and let out a horror stricken scream!.

It took all of his strength not to faint... For underneath the glove was nothing but solid dry bone... It was hideous!.

Just then, the young girl burst in through the flap of the tent. "What's wrong?," she asked anxiously, not noticing his bone arm yet. "I heard you scream... Everything all right?."

"Oh... er..." he stuttered, embarrassed. "Ummm... er... nothing... I... I..." He quickly concealed his arm behind his back. "I... I was just startled by something... that's all..."

She gave him a look that told him she wasn't quite buying it.

"It's... It's nothing," he tried again. "I'm fine... Really, I am..."

The girl knelt by him, looking straight into his face. "Does this have something to do with that bone arm of yours?."

Tamir's mouth dropped open in fear and astonishment. "You... You knew all along?..."

"Uh huh... While you were unconscious... I wondered why you were wearing only one glove... so I looked..."

For a minute the two were silent... Neither of them really knew what to say...

"Why..." he finally whispered "Why did you still... I mean... Why did you still help me... even though?..."

"Even though your arm is a little different?." She shook her head. "Believe me, I've seen allot worse then that."

"But look at me!," he demanded. "I'm... I'm a... a freak!," he finally blurted out. Then he bit his lip, trying to hold back the tears of frustration that were starting to well up in his eyes.

"No you're not!," she persisted. "I told you, it's nothing strange to me. Not after what I've been through. Believe me, I could tell you things about myself that would make you cringe."

Tamer's gaze wandered over to his bare arm... What could this girl possibly have done or been through that would cause her to treat something like this so casually?...

"Here," she said, handing him his glove. "Just put this on and noone will even notice."

"I don't know," he answered hesitantly. "Are you sure?... What if someone asks about it?..."

"Then that's easy. Just say your arm's deformed, that's pretty much the truth anyway, and there's nothing to weird about a deformed arm."

"I suppose not... Wait, has anyone else... well... you know..."

She knew what he was asking. "No," she assured him. "I'm the only one who's seen it. You can trust me. I won't tell anyone else."

"Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome."

They looked at each other, and their eyes met... They smiled... Now they had a secret together...


As the sun set over the desert mountains, Tamir had just finished washing himself by the stream, which was a good five minute hike from the camp. He quickly slipped into the trousers and shirt he had been given. It didn't really matter that his boots were dirty, but he washed the dust and mud off of them anyway. Once he was finished, he eyed his reflection in the water... If he ignored his gloved arm and pale, sickly looking skin he thought he might look rather pleasant... Washed, and in clean, ordinary clothes he looked as decent and respectable as anyone...

"If only I didn't have to wear this," he thought as he gazed down at his gauntleted hand. But it couldn't be helped. With a shrug, Tamir made his way back to the camp. He smiled, remembering how friendly the people there had been when he met them earlier as he was coming down to the river. They had smiled at him, asked him how he was, and had agreed to let him stay as long as he wanted once that girl had tactfully explained his current situation... Who was she again?... He wasn't sure if she had even told him her name... As he walked back to where the camp was set up he began to have a strange feeling... The clothes he was wearing now were, of course, comfortable... But they felt somehow... unfamiliar... It was as if he was not used to wearing ordinary clothes made of regular cloth... To him, they should feel like... silk robes?... Now what kind of a ridiculous idea was that?. Here these people had helped him, given him fresh, clean things to wear, and he was thinking of silk robes?. He shook his head in bewilderment. Just what kind of a person had he been before he lost his memory?...

Just then, a sharp, high pitched scream, which must have been a child's, distracted him from his thoughts. Sure enough, he saw three young girls whom he recognized from the camp by an old well. They were struggling to fight off two grown travelers who were obviously not willing to share the water.

"Leave us alone!," one cried. "Let our sheep drink! We were here first!."

But the men just ignored them. They continued to fill up their canteens with the precious water, already they had much more then they needed for such a small group.

"Nefertari is the head of our tribe," another of the girls protested. "You'll be in big trouble!." She took a step towards them with her water bucket in her hand, hoping to get close enough to fill it... But one of the men shoved her roughly away.

"Get out of here, you filthy brats!."

The unfortunate child landed hard on her side, her water jug was smashed into little pieces. The other girls rushed to help her up.

Tamir acted quickly. Sneaking unnoticed up to the men's camels, he silently undid their ropes which were tied to a shrub...

"Hey, you guys!," he called out.

The men spun around, startled, to see a pale young man with an unusual looking glove on his arm grinning mischievously at them, with the ropes to their beasts halters in his hand...

"Aren't these your camels?," he asked innocently...

Before they could reply, the young man had let go of the ropes... Slapping the animals on their flanks he shooed them away... The camels took off towards the mountains with their masters running desperately after them!.

"No no!," they cried to the beasts. "Come back! Come back!."

Tamir smiled to himself as he watched the men chase their camels into the distance. He knew it would take them hours to catch them, and by the time they did these girls would be finished taking care of their sheep and back at camp.

"Oh thank you! Thank you!," the girls cried, rushing over to him.

He smiled. "You're welcome, ladies. Here, let me help you." He drew some water from the well and filed each of their buckets.


"Peta?... Farrah?... Kamil?..."

He turned to see a pleasant looking, middle aged woman approaching, with a worried expression on her face. She was tall and slender, with shoulder length black hair and deeply tanned skin. Her brown eyes were soft and gentle, yet they had an almost exotic looking slant to them. Tamir at once realized that she was of Egyptian descent, although she wore plain cloth robes like the others.

"Here we are, Nefertari," the oldest one called out.

"Girls, I was getting worried about you," she scolded. "You were taking so long. What happened?."

"Some strangers were bothering us," the youngest explained. "They were going to take all our water from the well, but this nice man helped us!."

"So I see," she nodded, turning to Tamir with a friendly smile. "You are the boy who was found this morning."

"Yes, Miss," he answered. "My name is Tamir... and... ummm... that's about all I really know about myself right now... I was told I was found by that river nearby..." His voice trailed off, slightly embarrassed...

"So I have heard." The woman gave him an understanding look. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nefertari, head of the Tribe of Asiyah, and you have already met these three naughty little monkeys, Peta, Farrah, and Kamil," she grinned.

At this, the children giggled and Tamir laughed. "Yes, I have."

"You should not feel as a stranger here," Nefertari smiled. "You know that you are welcome to stay as long as you wish, and tonight you shall be my honored guest."

"Thank you," he said shyly...


That night found Tamir on his own by the river again... How fast everything had happened, he thought... First, to be found unconscious and almost dead, wandering in the desert, for reasons he did not know or remember, then to wake up with a new name and almost no memories of his past, and no knowledge of who he was, only to be welcomed into a camp of strangers... It was overwhelming...

He gazed at his reflection in the water... He saw the face of a young man, pale and gaunt looking, staring back at him, his eyes full of confusion and questions... Just who had that young man been about a day or so ago?. He wasn't sure, but he hoped to find out... someday... His thoughts were soon interrupted by a series of giggles coming behind him. He turned around to see the three little girls he had met earlier approaching him.

"What in Allah's name are you doing here?," the oldest one asked.

"Yeah," the youngest piped up. "You're supposed to be our guest at dinner tonight, you know!."

He gave them a sheepish smile. "Er... sorry..." He really wasn't very hungry, and right now he just wasn't feeling up to much company...

"Come on," the middle child grabbed his hand, attempting to pull him up. "Let's go."

"Ummm, no thank you," he protested. "I'm really not that hungry..."

"Oh, come on!." The other two started to push him. "We want you to join us, besides, it's rude not to come after you've been invited!."

"Pleeeeease?," the middle girl, whose name was Farrah, persisted.

Tamir sighed, knowing that these girls would never give up, and there was no way out of it. They could not understand why he was less then enthusiastic about showing himself to everybody. They did not know of his skeletal arm underneath his glove...

"Oh well," he thought to himself. "Just do as that girl advised you earlier. Just tell them your arm is deformed without actually letting anyone see it, then they probably won't ask any more questions."

"All right! All right!," he laughed, throwing up his hands in mock surrender and getting to his feet. "I'm coming! I'm coming!."

He followed the girls back to camp, where he saw everybody, men, woman, children, and their families, gathered around a large fire, forming something of a circle. Around that circle were baskets and platefuls of bread, meat, some vegetables and fruit. Many of the people smiled and nodded at Tamir and the girls as they approached. The Beduins were a very hospitable and family oriented people, he thought.

Just then, he felt someone touch his hand. He looked down into the smiling face of the young girl who had befriended him earlier.

She patted the ground beside her. "Have a seat," she smiled.

"Thank you." He sat beside her, eyeing the food. He reached out to take a piece of fruit from one of the baskets...

"Psst..."

He turned to her...

"Not yet," she grinned.

"Oh..." He gave her a sheepish smile "Er... Sorry..."

She laughed, and was about to say something when Nefertari entered the middle of the circle, stopping everybody's chatter. He was surprised to see that she was no longer dressed in ordinary peasant's robes, but in a beautiful white linen dress with gold colored sandals, a gold bracelet on each wrist, and a simple gold necklace complete with golden earrings. He would come to learn that she had saved these things from her past, and always wore them for special occasions, such as the welcoming of a new guest.

"My children," she announced. "Let us give thanks for this bountiful food." Then she turned to Tamir with a smile. "And let us also give thanks for the presence of this fine young man whom we honor here tonight."

Everybody clapped and gave out mild, but enthusiastic cheers.

Tamir lowered his eyes. "Please, Miss... I... I wish you wouldn't... I don't really know if I've done anything in my life worth honoring..."

She tilted her head. "You defend these children and you think that is nothing?. It appears you do not know what is worthy of honor."

Tamer's answer was a small, timid smile, as everyone began to start eating. He reached for a pear in one of the fruit baskets and munched on it half heartedly.

Soon after, some of the tribes members took out some fascinatingly shaped instruments and began to play. At the sound of the music, the children sprang to their feet and began to dance wildly around the fire. Gradually, more and more joined in, until nearly everybody had joined hands around the campfire and were doing well known steps to old Beduin group dances.

Just then, one of the younger girls, Kamil, rushed over to him. "Dance with me!," she giggled, tugging on his sleeve.

"No no," he protested, laughing. "I don't know how."

Fortunately, the child's two sisters came and laughingly pulled her back into the dance with them. She waved at him as she returned to dance with Peta and Farrah, and he waved back.

"You're not much of a dancer either, huh?," came a cheerful voice beside him.

He turned to see the pretty young girl with the startling blue green eyes still sitting there.

"No," he shook his head ruefully. "I don't think so."

She nodded understandingly. "Join the club. I'd probably be tripping all over the place, making an even bigger fool out of myself then I already am."

He looked at her, surprised. Those words sounded critical, and even harsh. She certainly didn't seem like a fool to him.

Then he got an idea. "Ummm... Say, it won't be so bad if the two of us went out there would it?... I mean, it might not make you look so terrible if I messed up too..."

A smile spread across her face. "Is that an invitation?."

"Well... ummm... I..." he blushed. "I suppose so... That is... if you want to..."

She gave him a good natured smirk. "Sure, I guess I won't look so bad if there's someone around who's as hopeless a dancer as I am. Let's give it a try..." She started to get up...

"Wait," Tamir said...

She turned to him questioningly...

He grinned at her. "Should I make up a name for you too?," he asked.

The young girl burst out laughing as she realized what he meant. "No," she chuckled. "My name's Sadira." She offered him her hand and he took it... Their eyes met once more, and held...

"Sadira," he smiled. That was a pretty name!. "It's nice to meet you."


A single thread in a tapestry
Though its color brightly shines
Can never see it's purpose
In the pattern of the grand design
And the stone that sits on the very top
Of the mountain's mighty face
Does it think it's more important
Then the stones that form the base?

So how can you see what your life is worth
Or where your value lies?
You can never see through the eyes of man
You must look at your life
Look at your life through Heaven's eyes


A lake of gold in the desert sand
Is less then a cool fresh spring
And to one lost sheep, a shepherd boy
Is greater then the richest king
Should a man lose everything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth?

So how do you measure the worth of a man
In wealth or strength or size?
By how much he gained or how much he gave?
The answer will come
The answer will come to him who tries
To look at his life through Heaven's eyes

And that's why we share all we have with you
Though there's little to be found
When all you've got is nothing
There's allot to go around

No life can escape being blown about
By the winds of change and chance
And though you may never know all the steps
You must learn to join the dance
You must learn to join the dance

So how do you judge what a man is worth
By what he builds or buys?
You can never see with your eyes on earth
Look through Heaven's eyes
Look at your life
Look at your life
Look at your life through Heaven's eyes

("Through Heaven's Eyes" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Soundtrack)

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 2: River Lullaby

Chapter 2

River Lullaby

The sun shone through the flaps of Tamir's tent, forcing him to open his eyes to the new morning. He stretched, threw on his clothes and made his way out, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Once he stepped out of the tent the scent of the fresh morning air awoke him. He breathed it in deeply.

Everyone was just starting to rise now. Already there were people tending to their animals, cooking breakfast for their families and starting the usual tasks which must be done before the end of the day.

"Good morning, Tamir," came Nefertari's pleasant voice. The head of the tribe was by her own tent, fixing a wonderful smelling oat porridge for the children for breakfast.

"Good morning," he smiled.

"Care for some breakfast?," she offered him a bowl.

He accepted it gratefully. "Thank you, I'm starving."

Taking a spoon, he then sat down to eat while Nefertari finished serving everybody. Then she sat down herself and ate.

"So," he started shyly. "Are you really from Egypt?."

"Why, yes," she answered.

"What happened?. How come you left?," he asked, curious. Then he bit his lip. It was not polite to ask a personal question like that.

But Nefertari didn't seem to mind. "My mother was full Egyptian... but... we did not get along... that well..." Her voice trailed off sadly. "It doesn't matter anyway, I suppose. I left her eventually, but I saved some of my belongings as you can see..."

"I... I'm sorry," Tamir said quietly, "I didn't mean to..."

But she just shook her head and handed him a small cup of warm tea. "Here, drink this," she smiled.

"Thank you." He accepted it and slowly breathed in the warm, spicy fragrance. "Tell me, how long have you been in charge of this tribe?."

"For a while, almost twenty years now. These people are mostly my mother's victims, others are refugees from cities and towns that have been destroyed by rulers as heartless and as she is," she added angrily... But then her face softened... "I have been looking after them ever since. Somehow, we've all become a family together, although there were those who have not stayed on with us... such as Amal..."

"Amal?. Who was he?."

"He was another one of my mother's victims..." Nefertari replied. "Fortunately, he managed to escape being destroyed by her... He stayed with us for a short time afterwards, but decided to continue on his own, and good luck to him," she added. "Perhaps one day he will find a place to belong... and a home and family of his own..."

"Family..." he smiled. What must it be like to be have and be part of a family?. Had he a family out there somewhere?... He wasn't sure...

Just then, he spotted Sadira making her way past them out of the camp. As if she felt his eyes on her, she turned around... He smiled at her, and she smiled back... Their eyes met... and held... Then she gave him a friendly wave, and continued on her way...


Later that day, Sadira gazed admiringly at the desert mountains, shining in the distance, with the light of the sun behind them. She had been put in charge of watching over the sheep today, a little ways off from the camp. Beside her was a staff that she had been given.

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted a familiar figure making his way towards her. She smiled as she recognized Tamir. It had been almost a week since he had been found, and during that week she had found herself growing rather attached to him...

"No," she shook her head. "What are you thinking, girl?. Don't you remember what happened the last time you got attached to a guy?."

"Hello, Sadira," he greeted her with a friendly smile.

She gave him a small half smile in return. "Hey, Tamir."

"Mind if I join you?," he asked as he approached the large rock where she was sitting.

"Nope," she answered. She offered him her hand and helped him climb up onto the rock. Together the two of them sat, watching the desert sun climb up just a little higher over the mountains, announcing the arrival of afternoon.

"It's beautiful," he smiled. "I could stay here forever."

"Oh, nothing good lasts forever," Sadira sighed. "Not even this."

Tamir looked at her, surprised by the sudden touch of sadness in her voice.

She gave him a faint smile. "So, you had lunch yet?," she asked, changing the subject.

He shook his head. "No, but Nefertari and the others served us all some porridge for breakfast. They're all so very kind, aren't they?."

She laughed, amused at his so carefully pronounced speech. Perhaps he had been some kind of big shot hoity toity nobleman before he lost his memory.

"They sure are. When I was lost in the desert, with no food, no water, no nothing, they rescued me and let me stay on with them."

"Just like me," Tamir smiled, as he picked up the wooden staff and fiddled with it half heartidly.

Sadira grinned back at him. "Yeah, two ragged, lost orphaned waifs. What a pair huh?."

The two of them laughed out loud together.

"So," he asked, curious. "What were you doing wandering around in the desert?. Where are you from?."

All at once her smile withered and she turned away. "I... I was running away," she said quietly. "I used to live in Agrabah... but I had nothing and noone there... I was what was called a "street rat"..."

Tamir frowned, he was starting to feel almost grateful that he couldn't remember a thing about his own past...

"I... I'm sorry," he apologized rather awkwardly.

But she shook her head. "Don't bother with apologies," she muttered. "It's me who's got all the apologizing to do."

He looked at her with a sort of understanding in his eyes. Sadira was allot like him, he decided, even though she had not lost her own memory. Like him, she had been warmly welcomed as a guest here, but she was still uncertain and lonely... He studied his gloved arm... That feeling seemed all to familiar to him... somehow...

"Well," he finally said. "I'm going back to help get ready for lunch... do you want to come and get something?..."

"Ahh, no thanks," she shook her head slowly. "I'll see you later."

"All right," he said quietly, his voice betraying his disappointment. Then he slid off the rock and started to make his way back to the camp.

Sadira watched him go... A part of her wanted to follow him... and yet, another part of her told her that it was wisest to stay right where she was, for fear she was in danger of making just another mistake that she would regret later...

Her eyes wandered towards the staff beside her that Tamir had been fiddling around with... Then she opened her mouth in surprise when she saw the tiny little blue and white desert flowers he had tied around it... For her?... They were lovely... A soft smile slowly spread across her face as she reached out to touch them...

Just then, a painful cry made her spin around in alarm... She turned to see a group of men in the near distance. They were all dressed in fine robes and wore expensive looking jewelry. They sat on the backs of magnificent horses, decked with the finest adornments. But that was not what she noticed first... For tied to one of the horses saddles was a little child who could not bee more then six or seven years old... She was dirty and ragged, and seemed almost ready to faint from the exhaustion of walking across miles of desert... What angered Sadira the most was the men on horseback carried whips at their sides, and whenever she came close to collapsing they threatened to beat her as a punishment...

"What's going on?," Tamir asked, suddenly appearing beside her.

"I don't know," she muttered. "But I'm going to find out."

The two of them made their way over to the procession...

At that moment, the little girl's knees buckled from under her. She collapsed on the ground, slowing them down.

"Keep moving, brat!," commanded one of the riders.

The child tried to stand up, but once again her legs gave way beneath her.

"I said keep moving!," screamed the rider. He raised his whip, bringing it down hard on the little one's shoulder.

All sorts of rage erupted inside Sadira. She was all to familiar with the punishment of a beating... She remembered a child as frail as that, who had died because of her... She would not let it happen again!.

But, before she could even make a move, Tamir had boldly stepped out in between the cruel man with the whip and the frightened child...

"Excuse me," he demanded. "But that is certainly no way to treat an innocent little girl!."

In spite of her anger, Sadira struggled to fight back a smirk.

"Oh, sure," she thought. "Good manners. Now, that'll really work!."

"This is no affair of yours, desert rat!," barked one of the riders, unaware of Sadira. "This is a captive slave, and our property!."

"I would advise you to move on," growled the other. "Before we tie you up along with her."

Tamir gazed at the child... She looked beaten, broken in spirit and body... He knew she could not stand up for herself... The little girl's soft black eyes met his own, pleading and frightened... His heart went out to her...

"No!," he stated firmly. "Not until you release this child!."

"All right," the largest one growled, as he and the other two made their way towards Tamir. "You'd better say your prayers, desert rat!."

"I don't think so, guys!," came a clear and angry voice behind them...

They spun around to see a furious Sadira gazing calmly at them, but with an expression of pure rage burning in those beautiful blue green eyes. Before they could move, she raised her hand, and to everyone's shock, the sand around the attackers magically rose up from the ground, materializing into hand cuffs on their wrists and ankles. Gags around their mouths soon followed.

Tamir stared at her in shock as she lazily strolled over to the men, who were struggling to break free of their chains.

"Comfortable, boys?," she grinned. "No?... Good!."

"Sadira," Tamir gasped. "How did you?..."

"I'll explain later," she interrupted him. "Right now, lets get this kid loose."

She tossed him a small knife and he started to work on cutting the ropes around the captive's wrists. As soon as the little girl with the soft black eyes was released, she fell into his arms, weeping quietly.

"Oh, thank you!," she whimpered. "Thank you!."

"It's all right." He drew her close to him and gently stroked her tangled black hair. "It's all right, they're not going to hurt you anymore."

Sadira watched them for a moment... The look in her eyes was like she was reliving an old memory...

"Hush hush, it's all right," Tamir continued to comfort the distraught child. He rocked her back and forth, back and forth, until, exhausted from fear and weariness, she fell asleep in his arms...

His eyes widened... What should he do now?... "Umm... Sadira?..." He looked at her in bewilderment.

She smiled. "Just carry her back to camp. She can stay in my tent for tonight."

"All right." He gently lifted the little girl's frail looking body. "Perhaps once she those wounds are taken care of, and she has had a good long rest, then we can find out where she's from and what her name is."

"It is Gabrielle," came a soft voice...

Startled, they turned to see Nefertari approaching them...

"You know this child?," Tamir asked, surprised.

She nodded. "Yes, her mother and father were orphaned refugees from another kingdom which was destroyed years ago when they were children. I took them in, of course, and eventually they married. But her young mother disappeared when the child wasn't even two or three year old."

"What about her dad?," Sadira asked.

Nefertari shook her head sadly. "Poor Gabrielle and her father were captured by these slave traders shortly after. He must have either died or been sold."

Tamir gritted his teeth in anger. "You mean to say that those people can just ride in here and capture little children to sell as slaves whenever they like?."

"Unfortunately, it is still legal," she sighed. "The wealthy always want cheep labor that they don't have to pay for. Thank the gods you have rescued her from that. I don't even want to think of what life would be like for that child as a slave in some rich peacock's harem when she grows older."

"I know the feeling," Sadira growled under her breath...

"Nefertari?," came a faint, small voice. The little one had woken and was gazing around at the three people, confused and frightened.

"Yes, darling," she knelt by her and took the child's frail white hand into hers. "We're right here."

"My papa," she whispered. "He's... He's..." Tears streamed down her face as she struggled to speak. "They beat him... and... and..."

"Shhhh," Tamir stroked her hair again. "Please don't cry, little barakah. It's over. You're home now."


Later that evening, after Gabrielle had been fed, washed, her wounds and sores treated, and dressed in a clean, comfortable nightdress, Tamir had brought her to Sadira's tent so she could rest...

"Is there anything else you need?," he asked, tucking the covers over her and handing her a small cup of warm tea.

She took a sip from the mug and closed her eyes, as if trying to hold back more tears. "No," she whispered, shaking her head slowly. "Thank you. What's your name?."

"It's Tamir," he smiled.

"You have a nice name," she said shyly. "My mama had a nice name too. Her name was Meri."

"Meri," he whispered. It was a beautiful name... and it sounded familiar... Had he heard it before?...

"Do you know any lullabies?," Gabrielle asked.

"No," he answered. "I don't think so."

"My papa used to tell me that my mama would sing lullabys to me all the time," she said softly. "I wish I could remember her..."

Tamir gave her a sad smile. "I wish I could remember mine too."

"You don't remember your mama?." She tilted her head, surprised.

"No... I suppose that makes two of us, right?."

Gabrielle smiled shyly. "Yes, I guess it does. But I know one thing about my mama. My papa used to sing a special lullaby to me. He said that he learned it from her, and that she used to sing it to me when I was a baby."

"Really? I'd love to hear it."

"Okay." She gave him a shy, quiet smile. Then she began to sing a beautiful, almost haunting, melody...

"Hush now, my baby
Be still, love, don't cry
Sleep like you're rocked by the stream
Sleep and remember
My lullaby
And I'll be with you when you dream..."

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 3: Please Be the One

Chapter 3

Please Be The One

"Here it comes! I knew it!. Get ready!."

"Look, there's the head!," Tamir said excitedly.

"Oh my gosh!."

"Hold on... It's on it's way..."

"All right!," Sadira grinned. "We have a little girl!. Isn't she beautiful?."

He nodded, smiling. "Yes... That's a pretty little lamb all right!." He handed the shivering newborn to Sadira and she dried her off with a soft towel.

"Well done," Nefertari smiled. "She should be able to stand as soon as you get her dry."

As soon as the afterbirth had been cleared away and the newborn lamb was dry, Sadira placed her beside her bleating mother so she could nurse. "Isn't that just the sweetest thing you ever saw?."

Smiling, Tamir nodded in agreement.

"What is?," came a soft voice.

They turned to see Gabrielle standing there. Her hands behind her back and her eyes wide with curiosity, giving them her shy, quiet smile.

"Hey, Gabby," Sadira greeted her. "Come and see this cute little lamb!."

Slowly, the child made her way towards them... "It won't bite will it?..."

"No," Nefertari laughed. "No, lambs don't bite."

Giggling softly, she carefully approached the lamb, who was still nursing... Cautiously, Gabrielle reached out to pet her... then she drew back...

"Don't be afraid, little barakah," Tamir chuckled warmly. "Here." He took her hand and gently ran it back and forth across the lamb's back.

A slow smile spread across Gabrielle's young face. "She's soft," she whispered.

"Just wait," Nefertari nodded. "She's going to get even softer as she grows older."

"I have an idea. Let's let Gabrielle pick a name for the new baby," Tamir suggested.

"Can I?." The child's eyes lit up. "I've never gotten to name anything before."

"Of course you can," Nefertari smiled.

"What do you have in mind, kiddo?," Sadira asked.

"I think I'll name her "Lana," she smiled thoughtfully. "It means "Gentle, soft, tender."

"That's a perfect name for a little lamb," Tamir agreed.

"Uh huh," she grinned. "Can I go find Peta, Farrah, and Kamil?. I want to bring them here and show them!."

"Sure, go ahead, kid," Sadira nodded, and with that little Gabrielle trotted back to the camp to seek out her three friends.

"Wow," Tamir smiled. "Is that ever a change from a few days ago."

"I'll say," Sadira agreed. "She used to be to nervous to even look anyone in the eye. I'd just love to get my hands on the creeps who did this to her!," she added angrily.

"That doesn't matter now." Nefertari gave her a patient smile. "What matters is that the child is healing. Thank you both for your help. Gabrielle's emotional recovery would not be coming along nearly as quickly without you."


Later that evening, Tamir was making his way down to the river... He smiled as he watched the sun begin to set, filling the desert sky with brilliant fiery colors of orange, red and yellow... After a few moments, it darkened, and the stars began come out, shining faintly...

"Hey!," came a familiar, friendly voice...

He turned to see Sadira approaching. "Hello!," he smiled broadly. He always felt happiest when she was around. "What are you doing?."

"Just going for a walk," she said. "Care to join me?."

"Of course," Tamir agreed enthusiastically.

Soon the two were making their way along the river bank... The stars were mirrored in the crystal clear water, in the distance the faint songs of crickets could be heard, it gave them a peaceful feeling...

Smiling, Tamir picked up a small stone and tossed it casually into the river. "Sadira?," he asked. "Remember when you saved Gabrielle and I from those slave traders?."

"Well, I wouldn't call it "saving" exactly," she grinned. "But yeah."

"Remember how you used this magic or whatever it is, and how you said you would explain it later?."

"Uh huh."

"Well... ummm..." He smiled sheepishly. "Ummm... could you?..."

She nodded. "Sure. Here, sit down."

He obeyed, and the two of them sat down on the clean desert sand.

Sadira raised her hand over the ground... For a moment there was nothing... Then the sand slowly began to rise... higher and higher... Tamir's mouth opened in astonishment when Sadira raised her hand once again... The sand magically formed into a statue like replica of himself...

"Wow!," he gasped.

Sadira grinned. "Pretty good likeness, huh?."

"It's... It's... It's amazing!," Tamir whispered in awe. "How... How do you do it?."

"Just do what I did," she instructed. "Concentrate as hard as you can."

Obediently, Tamir raised his hand over the ground as he had seen Sadira do... He concentrated on the sand... After a moment the sand slowly rose up... Tamir concentrated as hard as he could on forming the sand into an image of Sadira... but it came up all bent and twisted out of shape...

"Er... Sorry..." He gave her an embarrassed smile. "It... It was supposed to look like you..."

Sadira laughed. "Don't worry about it. I think it looks great!. Anyway, it'll get better with practice."

"Thanks," Tamir chuckled.

"You're welcome. I hope you'll keep this a secret though."

He nodded, understandingly. "I will. After all, you kept my secret..." He glanced down at his glove, shuddering at the thought of the gruesome secret it covered... "You know, sometimes I'd give anything to be just like everybody else, to be normal, to have a home, a family, wouldn't you?."

At this, Sadira's smile faded... "Not really," she answered coolly...

Tamir's eyes widened. He stared at her in surprise.

She looked away, refusing to meet his questioning gaze. "It's... It's just that... everyone I've ever gotten close to before has either died or cared about someone else more then me... People are like that, you know... or have you forgotten that too?."

"Gabrielle and Nefertari aren't like that," Tamir argued. "And... You... You're not like that..."

"How do you know what I'm like?," she demanded quietly, turning to him.

He gave her a warm smile. "All I know is that you're the most amazing person I've ever met..."

A small smile slowly spread across the girl's face...

"Look." Tamir suddenly pointed to the sky...

Sadira glanced up, just in time to see a falling star shooting across the night sky... For a moment it lit up the desert sky with it's celestial light... then it faded... growing dimmer and dimmer... until it was gone...

"Did you know that "Sadira" means "Star?," he said thoughtfully...

"Really?," she smiled. "That's neat!."

"I can't think of anything more fitting," he smiled back, then he took her hand. "Sadira..." he confessed shyly. "When I'm with you... I... I don't feel... so... alone..."

At this, she got up quickly, alarm showing in her eyes. "Sometimes it's better to be alone," she muttered.

"What do you mean?," he asked. How could it possibly be better to be alone?.

Sadira turned away again. "Nobody can hurt you." Slowly, she made her way towards the river... She stared at her reflection in the still waters... She was dark skinned and ugly. She was dressed in rags. What man in his right mind would choose her over a beautiful, wealthy princess?...

Just then, a second image in the water distracted her from her thoughts. She turned to see Tamir standing next to her.

"What do you mean?," he asked. "Another... boy?..."

"Yeah," she crossed her arms with a sigh. "What else is there?. I... I thought I could make him love me... instead of... but... Well... some things just aren't meant to be I guess..."

"Then he didn't deserve you."

"No," the girl shook her head. "It was just a stupid crush anyway."

"Sadira," he said, taking her hand again...

She looked at him... Their eyes met again... Oh, his lips were so close now... and she knew her's were too... No! She quickly pulled back from him. She absolutely refused to let herself get caught in the same trap again!. She wouldn't let herself believe she was in love when she wasn't!.

"I... I... I think we'd better get back now," she said, trying her hardest not to meet his gaze.

"Oh... All right then..." was the soft reply...


Both of them were quiet walking back to camp, each lost in their own thoughts. Sadira glanced at Tamir... He looked back at her... She looked away...

Just then, a frightened cry came from Sadira's tent, breaking the awkward silence.

Tamir and Sadira looked at each other in alarm, "Gabrielle!," they said together.

Fearing she might be in danger, they hurried into the tent... There was the chid, safe in her bed, but she was tossing about and crying in her sleep. "Papa!," she cried out. "Daddy!."

Sadira immediately rushed to her side. "Wake up, Gabby! Wake up!," she soothed, taking the child into her arms. "There there, kiddo. It's okay. It's just a nightmare."

The little one's eyes flew open. "Sadira," she whimpered. "Tamir, I... I... saw... my papa... and... and... they..." her voice trailed off, tears streaming down her cheeks...

"I know, little barakah, I know," Tamir gently stroked her hair. "But it's over now. Everything's all right."

"I... I... I miss my daddy..." she said softly.

"It's okay to miss your daddy," Sadira said gently. "But I know he wouldn't want you to be afraid or sad, especially now that you're home again."

Gabrielle nodded. "I know... I just wish my daddy and mommy were home too..."

Tamir gave her a comforting smile. "I know you wish they were still here with you, little barakah, but remember you still have all of the people here in the tribe for your family, you have your little lamb, and you have us."

"I've got an idea," Sadira said. "Why don't we be your family too, kind of like your aunt and uncle?."

At this, Tamir looked at her in pleasant surprise.

Gabrielle's face brightened. "Really?. I'd like that. I've never had an aunt and uncle before."

Tamir and Sadira smiled at each other.

"All right, it's settled then," Sadira grinned, ruffling up the child's hair, making her giggle. "Now, you'd better get some sleep, kiddo, or else you'll look as bad asI do when I get up in the morning," she joked.

"Okay," Gabrielle smiled as Tamir tucked the covers over her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Goodnight, little barakah."


"That was really nice what you did," Tamir told Sadira as they left the tent. Gabrielle was already fast asleep inside.

She smiled. "It was nothing, really. I'm used to it..." Then her voice trailed off sadly. "I... I used to always watch out for the younger kids back at the orphanage..."

Tamir's eyes widened. "Sadira, you never told me you used to live in an orphanage."

She nodded sadly. "Uh huh, before I lived in Agrabah... I ran away to the city so I wouldn't wind up like poor Gabby in there..."

The boy was shocked. "You mean you were almost... sold... as... a?..."

"Uh huh," she spat out. "And then I ran away to Agrabah... But after a while... well... I decided that I'd better leave that city... just like I did the orphanage..." Here her voice grew softer...

"Sadira, are you all right?," he asked, concerned. Her eyes seemed ready to fill with tears at any moment. "You don't have to talk about this, you know."

"I know, I know," she sighed, not believing she had actually come that close to crying in front of a man, something she had sworn she would never do. "I'm sorry," she apologized.

"Don't be," he shook his head. "I'll bet I've cried lots of times... er... not that I remember any right now though..." He gave her his characteristic sheepish grin and got a little half smile in return from her.

"Goodnight, Sadira," he smiled... Then he leaned over and planted a quick kiss on her cheek...

Sadira's eyes widened and her mouth dropped open, but Tamir didn't see, he was already making his way back to his tent...

As she watched him go, she softly touched her cheek where he had kissed her, a smile slowly spreading across her face... Then she shook her head with a sigh. "What's the matter with me?," she thought out loud. "You'd think a girl would learn..."

This desert lies
It's so unfair
I think there's water everywhere
I'm always fooled just when I think I'm saved
I don't have the strength to do again
What always comes undone
Deliver me
Please be the one

I thought I wasted all those prayers
Then I looked up and you were there
And in your eyes I see there's hope for me
I need your love to finish off what others have begun
Deliver me
Please be the one

Be the one who makes me see
We wander for a reason
Be the one that rescues me
With a love I can believe in

Let it be true that you can do
What noone else has done
Deliver me
Please be the one

Deliver me
Please be the one

("Please Be The One" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Nashville)

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 4: You are My Light

Chapter 4

You Are My Light

"What is this?," Tamir asked, eyeing the note in Nefertari's hand. That morning two men on horseback had arrived in the camp and delivered it. At first Sadira and him had been afraid they might be wealthy slave traders looking for Gabrielle, but, as it turned out, they were only messengers from a nearby kingdom...

"It is a message from Agrabah," she answered after briefly scanning the note.

"Agrabah..." the boy whispered... The name sounded familiar, but not in a pleasant way... It left a bad taste in his mouth...

"You know it?," Nefertari asked.

"Agrabah.." He closed his eyes, trying to remember where he had heard of that place before... but all he could see were faces... blank faces... "No," he finally shook his head. "I don't think so..."

She nodded understandingly. "Just give it time. Memories will come back to you if you are patient enough. In the meantime," she smiled, handing him the message. "You can have a look at this. It seems the Tribe of Asiyah is invited to a royal wedding."

"Really?." He studied the note, curious...

Greetings To The Tribe Of Asiyah,

His Excellency and Most Supreme Majesty, the Sultan of Agrabah cordially invites you to his fair kingdom, in honor of the wedding of his Daughter, Her Royal Highness, The Princess Jasmine, to her most worthy intended Aladdin, the greatest, and most famed hero of the seven deserts.

This blessed event will take place on the night of the next full moon. Gifts are graciously accepted.

The Royal Court Of Agrabah

"Gifts?," Tamir smirked. "They're royalty for Heaven's sake. Don't they have enough already?."

"Hush, silly boy," Nefertari laughed, taking the invitation from him. "You know that it is a tradition for the bride and groom to receive gifts on their wedding, weather they are royalty or not."

He nodded. "I suppose. Does this mean we are going then?."

"Yes, I think so. The next full moon is in a day or two, and we are almost that same distance from Agrabah. It should be no trouble if we start heading out sometime today."

"You mean were packing our belongings and journeying Allah knows how many miles across the desert just to attend a silly wedding?." He crossed his arms. It sounded pretty pointless to him.

As if reading his mind Nefertari answered, "It's not as pointless as it seems. You know my people have always had bad reputations for thievery and violence. But if we attend the wedding of a princess of a very prosperous and stable kingdom, it might help in changing the views many of the people already have of us. Making it that much safer for my tribe. Also, there are certain matters I wish to discuss with this sultan of theirs."

Tamir nodded understandingly. The Tribe of Asiyah had no soldiers, no real weapons. If any strong kingdom decided they were a threat and sent their armies to attack these people had no real defense. The wisest thing was to keep the peace in any way possible.

"Hey, guys, what's up?," came a familiar sweet voice...

"Have a look at this." Tamir handed Sadira the letter.

She read it over... "Aladdin and Jasmine... They're getting married?..."

"You know them?." Tamir's eyes widened.

She nodded. "Uh huh, I used to live in Agrabah, remember?."

"How did you know them Sadira?," he asked, curious.

At his question her face fell and she lowered her eyes slightly. "Well... ummm... Jasmine was a friend of mine... and ummm... Aladdin too... Well, anyway, If we're going to the wedding in Agrabah then I guess I'd better help Gabby get ready," she finished quickly. "I'll see you later," and with that she hurried away.

Tamir and Nefertari looked at each other...

"Did I say something wrong?," the boy asked...

"No," she sighed. "But there are some questions that are better left unasked..."


By the next night the caravan of the Tribe of Asiyah had arrived near the outskirts of Agrabah... To Nefertari and the other's surprise they were told by the guards at the cites entrance that the coming wedding had been postponed for unexplained reasons that they would not say... However, everyone was grateful to have a reason for a day or two of rest before the event... Soon, Tamir, Sadira and Gabrielle were helping Nefertari and the others set up camp for the night outside the city... Exhausted at the end of the day, the Tribe of Asiyah soon retired to their tents...


"Betrayer! You will pay!," came Shakata's sinister voice...

Sadira gasped in fear as the horrible witch grasped her ankle. The realm of mists loomed beneath them. Only another moment and she would lose her grip and fall down into the darkened pit... With the staff of doom in her right hand, she desperately reached for something to grab on to with her left... but it was no use...

"Sadira!," a familiar voice cried.

Her heart leapt with relief as Aladdin reached out his hand to her... She grasped it... But she was slipping... slipping...

"Aladdin!," she cried out in fear... Then his grip grew weaker... weaker... Her hand slipped out of his... "Nooo!!!," she screamed as she fell down, down, down into the darkness... "

Sadira!. Sadira, wake up!," Tamir's anxious voice woke her from her nightmare. She opened her eyes to see her friend by her side, his hands on her shoulders. He had heard her screams and had come into her tent.

She sat up, breathing heavily. Hastily, she roughly wiped the tears from her eyes. "Thanks," she whispered. "I... I dreamed... It... It was him..."

Tamir looked at her with a mixture of understanding and concern. "Who, Sadira?... You mean?..."

She nodded, still shaking. "I... I was falling... And he... he... let go... He let go..." The tears which Sadira had been trying all this time to hold back suddenly started to flow down her face... "He... He let go..." she sobbed, burying her face in her hands, hurt and ashamed...

Tamir looked at her for a moment... Then he gently took her hands in his... She raised her head up to meet his gaze...

"Yes," he said, decisively but gently. "He let go, but I will not!."


The morning sun shone relentlessly over the city streets of Agrabah. Decorations adorned every house, and festive activities were taking place everywhere he looked... But neither that, nor the upcoming wedding this evening, were the first things on his mind today... Since the night he had awoken Sadira from her nightmare, and come all but a few words short of declaring his feelings for her, she had been extremely quiet and withdrawn... Almost as if she was afraid of something, or someone... Could it have something to do with her past?... Or Agrabah?... He shook his head ruefully. It seemed that this city was making both of them feel uncomfortable... Although he wasn't sure just why yet...

Just then, Tamir saw that Gabrielle, who had accompanied him into town this morning, had walked ahead of him, up to a finely decorated food stall... She eyed the fruit hungrily... "Oh, it's almost lunch time, isn't it, little barakah?. You must be hungry," he smiled.

The child nodded slowly. "Yes... but... that's for..."

But, before she could finish her sentence, Tamir had plucked an apple from the stall, assuming this was just like how the meals were served in the tribe. Food spread out so everyone could reach it if they were hungry...

"Here you go." He handed her the apple.

"No," she protested. "You don't understand... It's..."

"You'd better be able to pay for that," growled a strange voice from behind them.

Tamir spun around to see an angry looking man near the fruit stall, who was soon joined by at least three others. They wore uniforms that identified them as official royal guards. Gabrielle shuddered and stepped back in fear, dropping her apple, but Tamir only blinked, confused. "Pay?," he asked. "I'm sorry, sir, but I have no money."

The angry looking head guard quickly seized Tamir's arm. "We do not take kindly to thieves, especially on our princess's wedding day!." He reached for his sword... "Do you know what the penalty is for stealing?!."

Gabrielle gasped and her face turned white.

"Run, little barakah!," Tamir cried. "Hurry!."

"But..." she began to protest. "What about you?..."

"Now!," he repeated. "Please!. Go! Go!."

Shaking, but managing a quick nod, the child fled, somehow managing to avoid being snatched by the other guards.

"Leave her!," commanded the captain. "We'd best take this half wit criminal to the palace dungeons." He than began to drag the struggling Tamir away.

"Let me go!." The boy fought as the huge guard pulled harder on his arm, then with one yank he managed to wrench himself free of the iron grasp... but his protective glove was torn off...

The guards and all who were watching gasped in shock and horror at the sight of Tamir's skeletal arm!. The boy drew back, suddenly terrified and ashamed. He tried to hide his bone arm behind his back, but the captain of the guard seized him.

"I do not believe it!," he said. "It's him, men!. It's him!."

"The princess and Aladdin were certain he was dead!," answered a taller guard.

"What are you talking about?!," sobbed Tamir as he struggled to get away again. "I have done nothing wrong!. Let me go! Let me go!."

The large guard laughed. "Lookie here, men!. He's powerless now!. A frightened little weakling!."

"Is this what we used to be afraid of?!," laughed another guard.

That did it! Tears of humiliation, confusion and fear streaming down his cheeks, Tamir at once gave in to a sudden feeling of uncontrolled rage... "I said let me go!," he screamed. And with that he clenched his fists and gave the captain of the guard a swift punch in the face with his free arm. The guard cried out in pain, releasing him.

The boy stared at his fist in disbelief for a moment... He had never struck anyone before... and yet... yet that anger, that pained rage, though distant, was such a familiar feeling... It was then he saw the other guards making their way towards him, their swords drawn... Regaining his wits, he then fled down the street with them in hot pursuit...

Breathing heavily, and mouthing a silent prayer up to Allah, Tamir sped down a side alley, hoping to divert his pursuers... But soon came to a dead end...

"Now we've got him, men!."

The boy spun around again to see the guards moving menacingly towards him, their swords still drawn...

The captain sneered. "That bone hand should make an interesting trophy!. It's no use trying to escape. You're trapped now, evil one!."

Trembling, Tamir braced himself against the ally wall...

"Wrong, boys!," came a familiar voice. "You're trapped!."

Tamir's heart lifted. "Sadira!," he cried out in surprise and relief.

The guards barely had time to to turn around in shock before girl had raised her hand, and created a sturdy cage of sand around them with her magic...

"Oh ho ho!," the boy chuckled in approval and admiration. "A girl of action!."

"Come on!." She quickly grabbed his hand and the two of them darted out of the alleyway...

"Look!. There he goes!."

"Grab the girl too!. She's with him!."

Tamir gasped as yet another group of guards spotted them.

"Let's get out of here!." Sadira hastily dragged him down the street as he struggled to keep up.

They ran through the streets, down the narrow city alleyways, until finally it looked as if they had lost their pursuers...

Out of breath, Tamir leaned against the ally wall. "What?..." he gasped as he struggled to catch his breath. "What were they talking about?... They... They called me "evil one"... They acted as if they knew me!..."

Sadira shrugged. "I don't know. The guards are pretty crazy sometimes. Believe me, I know... Maybe they thought you were someone else..." Then she took his hand and lead him further down the ally...

"Where is Gabrielle?."

"She came and got me. Don't worry, she's safe with Nefertari and the others now. She's fine."

They entered a deserted ally room, then Tamir followed her through what looked like a endless tunnel of ancient looking passageways and corridors... Finally, they arrived at an old deserted room...

Tamir opened his mouth in astonishment. There were scrolls on dusty shelves, tattered pillows and an old dilapidated table. Across the room there was an ancient cauldron and a pile of old empty bottles and jars.

Sadira smirked. "Welcome to the ruins of the palace of the Witches of the Sand; My old home."

"Is this where you learned your magic?." Tamir gazed around the place in awe...

"Yup," the girl nodded. "I lived here before I left Agrabah. Didn't think I'd see this old place again... but I guess we can hide out here for a while..." She then made her way over to the old jars, boxes and vials by the cauldron. "You like pomegranate juice?. I think I've got some left over here."

Minutes later, Tamir and Sadira were seated at the table, which they had just cleaned, enjoying a small pitcher of pomegranate juice... Both of them were silent, each with their own thoughts... Tamir looked across the small table at Sadira, who lifted her eyes for a moment, but soon turned her gaze away...

Wanting to put her at ease, Tamir smiled. "I want to thank you for saving me," he began. "I... I suppose I have allot to learn about the city..." His smile then turned into an embarrassed grin.

Sadira chuckled. "I guess you do, but it won't matter that much. After the wedding the tribe's heading further north. Nomads, remember?."

"I remember," Tamir laughed, taking another sip from his cup, then he looked at her seriously. "I don't blame you for wanting to leave so soon after the wedding... Bad memories I suppose?..."

At this Sadira stiffened and looked away...

The boy immediately regretted his insensitive comment. "Sadira, I am so sorry. I should never have said that."

"No," she shook her head. "It doesn't matter anyway... He didn't want me... He's marrying her..." Her eyes widened in alarm when she realized what she had just said.

Tamir looked at her in shock. "Him?!... You mean... It was here in Agrabah that?..." Then his expression grew warier as he put the pieces together.... "It was Aladdin, wasn't it?."

Sadira gave no answer, but Tamir could see the pain in her eyes before she looked away again.

"Sadira," he persisted. "You shouldn't let that hurt you so. He couldn't have been worthy of you, and if he's marrying someone else then it's his loss, not yours."

"She's the Princess of Agrabah, Tamir!. Who wouldn't choose her over me?."

"I wouldn't!."

She looked at him in surprise and shock. "What?... What do you mean?..."

His clear black eyes met her blue green ones. "I mean I love you, Sadira. I love you... and I need you."

"Noone needs me," she shook her head and got up from the table. "Noone's ever needed or wanted me for as long as I can remember, not my mother, not Aladdin and Jasmine, not anyone!."

She started to walk away... but did not get very far before her legs gave way and she collapsed to her knees on the floor.

"Sadira!." Tamir quickly got up and ran to her side. She was unhurt, but he could see the tears which were beginning to well up in her eyes. She quickly brushed them away. "Are you all right?," he asked.

She nodded, but turned her face away from him again. "Fine, fine," but her tone of voice told him otherwise.

"Sadira," he said gently. "As unbelievable as it may seem to you, I do love you. I've loved you from the moment I first saw you. It's perfectly all right if you don't feel the same way... I just want you to know that you are loved and needed... Dispite what you think, and whatever may have happened to you in the past..."

For a moment the girl said nothing... Then she turned her face to meet his gaze... A smile slowly spread across her face... "I love you too, Tamir," she said, her once sad eyes shining with happiness...

Overcome with new joy, Tamir reached out lovingly to touch her face... He then drew his hand back, realizing with a pang of horror that it was his bone hand, uncovered, that he had proposed to touch the girl he loved with... But to his relief, Sadira did not seem to notice... He then reached out with his other hand, gently brushing a few stray tendrils of her hair away from her face... She responded by leaning over and giving him a soft kiss, which he returned with equal feeling...

Let the princess and her hero have their wedding, Sadira thought...

Here I stand on the edge of this ocean
With no way to cross it
I am caught and surrounded by these walls of fear
I am out of breath and tired of running
I feel like I've lost it
Guess I'll quit and admit that the end is here
Then you come to me... You stretch out your hand
As the waters part... I see dry land
And I know again that...

You are my light
You are my fire
You are the star that leads me
You are my hope
You are my dreams
You are the hand that feeds me
When I feel the dark of my night
You are my light

Born in sin and destined for sorrow
Without you to save me
I am lost in the darkness of who I am
Who I've been and will be tomorrow
Will always enslave me
That's the cost of me chasing my lonely plan
Still I have this choice... to believe the lies
Or to hear your voice... and open my eyes
And I know again that...

You are my light
You are my fire
You are the star that leads me
You are my hope
You are my dreams
You are the hand that feeds me
When I feel the dark of my night
You are my light

You are my life
You are my strength
You are the joy I cling to
You are the tune
You are the words
You are the song I sing to
When I'm lost in the dark of my night
You are my light

("You Are My Light" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Nashville)

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 5: I Will Be There For You

Chapter 5

I Will Be There For You

Mirage smiled cruelly as she surveyed the ruined kingdom of the Land of the Black Sands. The time was almost at hand... The Tribe of Asiyah was less then one day away from here... and with them was the boy...

"Arise," she commanded, raising her hand. At once an unseen figure emerged from the darkness.

"Ahhhh," she hissed. "Still here I see."

"Of course I am," the figure shot back. "You know I cannot leave this place thanks to that accursed Fasir!."

She bared her fangs at him. "The time to strike is almost at hand and I have given you all the power you need to destroy him. Be patient. You know the prophecy. Once the boy finds this place he also finds his memory... and once he finds his memory then he is yours. I shall have the satisfaction, and you shall have the revenge and the power you seek."

"Revenge... Oooo, I like that part!," came the sinister chuckle. "He is on his way here then?."

Mirage's eyes narrowed and her cruel, icy smile returned... "Yes..."


Tamir could hardly believe his eyes as he followed Nefertari, Sadira and the others towards the site of their new, temporary camp... Ancient looking ruins, just as ancient and dilapidated as Sadira's old home, loomed just ahead of them...

"It's incredible!," he breathed. "What is this place?. We don't even need to set up camp tonight. That old citadel looks large enough for everyone!."

Nefertari put down her water flask to give her camel a drink. "It does," she smiled wisely, "But it would be much safer to stay the night in these abandoned houses... They look far more secure..."

Everyone agreed to this, and within minutes he Tribe of Asiyah had secured their animals in nearby makeshift corrals and had unpacked the caravan and their belongings in the small, but still solid, houses. Tamir, Sadira and Gabrielle decided to share a two room abandoned dwelling.

"Who do you think once lived in that citadel?," the boy asked later that day as he and Sadira shared an afternoon meal. He was still immensely curious about this new place... Something about it... Like Agrabah, he had a feeling he had seen it before, been here before... It was a dark, empty, feeling...

"I don't know," Sadira admitted. "Nefertari said that most of her tribe are refugees from this place though... She called it "The Land of the Black Sands..."

"That's a perfect name," nodded Gabrielle with a grin. "Because there's black sand all around."

Tamir laughed and embraced the child, relieved that their earlier misadventures in that accursed Agrabah had not served to undo all the good he, Sadira, Nefertari and the whole tribe were trying to do for her.

Sadira chuckled as she sipped her tea. Seeing Tamir and Gabrielle together brought her a sense of fulfillment she never thought she could have.... She had not been with them, and The Tribe Of Asiyah for very long, but they were already becoming the family, and the home, she had always wished for, but thought she would never find... She shook her head as she remembered the royal wedding, and how she had expected to feel miserable, regretful, as she watched Aladdin and Jasmine pledge their love... But the truth was, she didn't... She could only feel happiness now that she and Tamir had finally found each other, and now that they had found Gabrielle...


Later that evening, Tamir found himself nearby the old ruins of the citadel... He folded his arms around himself for warmth as he wandered down an empty, musty hallway... Completely shut off from the light, it was cold and dark... It gave him an eerie feeling... like some half remembered nightmare...

Tamir self consciously entered a room that appeared to be nearly completely destroyed... There were books, scrolls, broken remains of what looked like scientific objects and tools... The roof was half gone, and the boy could see the golden desert sunset. It comforted him and gave him enough courage to continue with his exploring... He made his way over to what looked like a rotted shelf/cabinet unit, and opened it... He widened his eyes in surprise... Inside was a small ruined portrait... He took it out to get a better look at it... The face of a beautiful woman smiled back at him. She had pale skin and thick dark hair that formed gentle curls around the peaceful, soft expression on her lovely face, which clashed with the fire and the strength he noted in her clear black eyes... It was the same expression he had often seen on Gabrielle. Despite her outward timidness, there was some spark of fire in the child that refused to be quenched. Nefertari and Sadira had noticed it too... Gabrielle and that woman in the portrait... they resembled each other, he thought...

It was then he felt something at the back of the portrait... He turned it around and saw a bit of paper, yellowed and faded with age, sticking out from between the picture and the tarnished frame. Carefully, he slid it out and found a folded letter... Curious, Tamir began to read the nearly faded writing...

My dearest, darling Basimah,

I painted this portrait of you myself. I know I have very little artistic talent, but I wanted to give you something I have made myself, something from my heart, to celebrate the glorious news. What a joy that we will soon be parents again, and that our precious little Meri will soon have a younger sister or brother. Boy or girl, may it be as sweet and as wonderful as it's mother.

All My Love,

Your Nadim

Tamir looked up from the letter... Basimah... Meri... Nadim... Who were they?... Where were they now?... Judging from the faded letter and the half destroyed portrait, this must have been a very long time ago. He wondered what had happened to them all, and how old the children in the letter, little Meri and the unborn child, would be by this time...

"Meri," he tested the name on his lips... It sounded familiar... Where had he heard it before?... Then he remembered. Gabrielle, on that fateful day Sadira and he had rescued her from the slave traders, had told him that her mother's name was Meri... He shook his head, deciding not to speak a word of this to anyone yet... This awful place confused as well as frightened him... Quickly he shoved the portrait back in the cabinet and got to his feet, eager to leave these dark ruins as fast as he could... Mirage sat back on her throne with a cruel smile of satisfaction as she surveyed the scene before her... The frightened boy running as fast as he could out of the old laboratory... Everything was going according to plan... "His heart is remembering, even if his mind is not..." she thought to herself... It was time now... Time to begin this weakened mortal's destruction... This time noone, not even her treacherous minx of a daughter and her ragtag band of outcast misfits, could prevent it... Once more, he found himself inside the ruins of the citadel... The halls grew darker and shadows filled the empty spaces... The walls and floors were cracked as well as the ceilings...

Shuddering, but forcing himself to move on, the boy entered the ruined former laboratory... It looked the same as it had earlier... Then he noticed that same portrait was on the floor near the cabinet... Now that was odd... Hadn't he put it away after he had found it and read the note?... He picked up the portrait, once more gazing upon the face of that mysterious woman... Was it just his imagination, or had he failed to detect that pained sadness in her eyes before?... Just then, he opened his mouth in shock as tears, real tears, started to trickle slowly from the woman's eyes and down her pale face...

"No!," he screamed, and in his terror he dropped the portrait to the floor and bolted out of the room... He ran down one dark hallway after another, trying to find some way out of this awful place... this place which seemed so full of tragedy and secrets... It was then that he tripped while running down one of the citadel stairways... He scrambled to his feet, dusting himself off... Then something on the wall caught his eye... It was an old, rusted, full length, gold rimmed mirror, cracked in to many places to mention... Tamir looked at it strangely... For staring back at him was not his own reflection, but the pale, gaunt face of an angry looking older man... He wore fine, yet eerie, dark colored robes and a jeweled turban... But the most chilling part of him was his eyes... Dark, cold and empty as this accursed citadel...

Tamir stared at the strange looking reflection in the mirror... Was it real?... Or were his eyes just playing tricks on him?... As if in answer, the man in the mirror narrowed his eyes with an evil smile... Tamir gasped and backed away in fear, but the cruel looking reflection reached out from the mirror, seizing his shoulders roughly... The frightened young boy screamed when he saw it... That same bone arm as he had...

"Let me go!," he sobbed, trying to fight this monster man's strong, bony grip. "Let me go! Please!

But his captor just laughed scornfully. "You'll never escape this place, boy! Never!. This is your home! I am your only family!. The curse! The curse!."

"Tamir! Tamir wake up!," came Sadira's voice.

He opened his eyes, tears streaming down his face. "Sadira!," he gasped, suddenly comforted by the firmness of her hands on his shoulders. He looked around, surprised to find himself just outside the entrance to the ruined city... The moon shone over the black dunes of sand, and the stars were mirrored in the waters of a nearby oasis... "How?... How did I get here?..."

Sadira shrugged. "You must have been sleep walking... When you didn't come back from the citadel I wanted to look for you there. But Nefertari said I should come out here first..." She noticed that Tamir was shivering with both cold and fright, so she took off her shawl and put it around his shoulders, despite his protests. "You were having a nightmare," she said gently. "I heard you scream..."

Pale, wet and exhausted, Tamir wiped the tears off of his face, saying nothing... Sadira's heart ached to see him like this...

"It was the curse," he whispered. "The curse..." His gaze fell upon his hideous bone arm... The same deformity that evil old man in his nightmare had shared... "I keep seeing faces..." he sobbed "So many faces..." He then fell into Sadira's arms, still shivering, the tears still flowing down his cheeks...

In response, Sadira pulled him closer to her. "It was a nightmare," she whispered soothingly. "It's all right. You're safe now."

For a few moments they remained that way, her holding him close and stroking his hair as he cried quietly into her shoulder... Finally, she adjusted her shawl around his shoulders and helped him to his feet...

"Come on," she gave him a kiss on his cheek. "We'd better get back now. It's getting colder out here."

Unnoticed from where she stood on the black sand dune, blending in perfectly with the darkness of the night, Nefertari let out a quiet sigh of relief as she watched Sadira and Tamir make their way back home... They were safe... for the moment...

"Not yet, Mother..." she thought to herself. "Not yet."

"It is never easy..." came a quiet voice from beside her. "It is never easy to resist aiding these people with our powers..."

"Yes... Father..." she smiled, shaking her head sadly. "I just wish I could stop Mirage from doing this to them..."

Fasir gave her a patient smile. "You know you cannot stop your mother, and neither can I... We can help her victims of course... but in the end it is always up to them to determine their own fate."


"Do you want to talk about it?," the girl asked, handing Tamir a warm cup of tea.

The boy glanced at the lighted candles placed about the room for light and warmth, then his gaze shifted towards the window... and the cold desert night outside... The citadel was out there... He shuddered again...

"I was in the ruins of the citadel..." he began, and continued the story all the way up to when he had been attacked by the evil man in the mirror... "He said I couldn't escape this place... He said it was a curse..." Tamir then shook his head with a rueful smile. "I just want to forget all about it. I can't wait until we leave this place."

"Me too, to tell you the truth," Sadira nodded, then a small grin slowly spread across her face. "You know, the first time I saw that citadel I thought it looked like it was haunted or something... I guess maybe it is, in a way..."

Tamir's frightened expression suddenly changed. He smiled and the two of them laughed together.

"Speaking of all that," the boy said. "Gabrielle is all right, isn't she?."

"Uh huh, Nefertari and I put her to bed before I came out looking for you."

Tamir nodded. "Good, I would hate to have her know about all this... Something tells me, the sooner we all get away from The Land of the Black Sands the better..."

"Yeah," the girl agreed. "This place gives me and Gabby the creeps too..." Then she looked at him seriously. "Tamir, you don't think this has something to do with your past do you?... This nightmare of yours?..."

"I... I don't know... I only wish I could remember my past, or weather or not I had a family out there somewhere..." the boy's voice trailed off sadly... Then he smiled. "But at least I have you now, and Gabrielle and Nefertari and the others."

"I feel the same way too," agreed Sadira.. Then she smiled and took his good hand in hers. "Tamir," she said. "I... I know that you can't remember your real family... that you must have lost them somehow... But I... I'd like to be your family... Because... Because I already feel like you and this tribe are mine..."

At this, Tamir's eyes widened, shining with the same happiness and anticipation that mirrored her own... Knowing what she was asking, he answered her question by reaching out lovingly to touch her face... But once again he drew back when he saw the hand he had been going to touch her with... But Sadira only smiled warmly and gently took his bone hand in hers... Then, to his surprise and relief, she lifted his bone hand to her face, unafraid...

Beaming, and with tears of joy streaming down their faces, the two embraced, and shared a tender, loving kiss...

When I lost faith you believed in me
When I stumbled you were right there
For every act of love you've done
I owe you one

There were hard times I know I survived
Just because you stayed by my side
With all I have, with all I am
I promise you, all my life...

Whenever the road is to long
Whenever the wind is to strong
Wherever this journey may lead to
I will be there for you

Through sorrow on the darkest night
When there's heartache deep down inside
Just like a prayer, you will be there
And I promised you, all my life...

Whenever the road is to long
Whenever the wind is to strong
Wherever this journey may lead to
I will be there for you
I will be there for you

("I Will Be There For You" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Nashville)

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 6: Stay With Me

Chapter 6

Stay With Me

The sun's morning rays shone through the window and landed on Tamir's face, waking him from his sleep. The boy smiled, thinking of how overjoyed Gabrielle and Nefertari had been last night when he and Sadira had asked consent for their engagement. He gave a contented sigh. Tomorrow the tribe would leave The Land of the Black Sands for good, and in a few weeks he and Sadira would marry. Nefertari had assured them they would always be welcome among the Asiyah.

He leaned over and kissed Sadira, who lay asleep beside him, gently on the cheek. "Good morning, little star," he whispered. "I love you."

She smiled in her sleep and stirred.

Putting his robe over his shirt and trousers and slipping on his boots, Tamir made his way out of him and Sadira's room and passed Gabrielle's. She was still asleep too. He smiled and tucked the covers over her shoulders, then headed outside of the abandoned dwelling they were using as a temporary shelter.

The fresh new morning greeted him as he walked outside, making his way towards the makeshift paddocks the tribe had made for their animals outside the ruined city last night.

Being the first one up, he was the only one to see Lana, Gabrielle's small lamb, stray away from the rest of the sheep and duck under the paddock ropes.

Shaking his head with a rueful smile, Tamir followed the lamb up into the rockier areas away from the paddock.

"It's to early for this," he muttered to himself as he caught up with Lana... He gently picked up the lamb in his arms and started to head back to the paddock... It was then that he spotted something in the sky heading towards him... As it grew closer, Tamir could just make out two forms, a young man and a woman, close to his own age... riding on a flying carpet?!. Now that was unusual!.

The young man on the flying carpet came closer into view and Tamir recognized him immediately... The future Sultan of Agrabah and newly wedded husband of the princess, who now rode at his side. Tamir remembered seeing them at their wedding, and now he eyed them coolly as they landed. He had only caught a few glances of them, but it was enough for him to know that he did not feel comfortable around them... almost cross in a way... Never the less, he gave a polite bow to then royal couple as they approached.

"Good morning, Your Highnesses," he said quietly, hoping his long sleeve concealed his bone arm completely.

The young woman, Princess Jasmine, forced a smile. "Good morning..." she began awkwardly. "Is this where the Tribe of Asiyah is camped?... We have business here..."

The young men, Aladdin and Tamir, eyed each other coldly, with barely masked contempt... There was an awkward silence between the three of them for a moment... Finally, Tamir nodded politely.

"Yes, I was just bringing this lamb back. We are camped further down. I will show you the way."


Aladdin and Princess Jasmine were warmly welcomed by Nefertari and the others, who invited them to stay for dinner before they made ready to leave the Land of the Black Sands in the morning... All through the evening meal they talked easily with Nefertari, and Sadira was of course glad to see her friends so soon after their marriage... But Gabrielle was rather shy and distrustful of their guests, and Tamir rarely found himself able to speak more then two sentences to them... He could not bring himself to like them as Sadira did... which was strange, because, try as he might, he could not find a single reason to dislike them... As he took a slow sip of his spiced tea, he studied Aladdin... He was handsome, yes, very handsome, and with a winning smile of perfectly flawless straight, white teeth. But there was a feeling of cockiness about him whenever he flashed one of those perfect smiles to the princess... Princess Jasmine was as beautiful as her new husband was handsome, with the same soft brown eyes that he had. She was blessed with thick silky black hair which looked as if it were brushed every minute of her waking hours, and a face and build that could rival a goddess's. Her clothing was all blue silk, and done in a simple, yet elegant, style, and she wore a gold necklace. A tiara with a blue jewel in it completed the effect.

"A jewel has radiant fire..." he thought to himself. "But gives no warmth..."

Just then, he smiled as Sadira entered the room. She had offered to cook dinner tonight and was carrying a pot of steamy hot soup.

"Who wants the first taste?," she asked, setting the soup onto the table.

Aladdin and Jasmine looked at each other...

"After you," Aladdin grinned.

Jasmine just glared at him.

Tamir frowned. "That was very rude," he said.

A worried look appeared on Sadira's face.

Jasmine gave an embarrassed smile. "Oh, we're very sorry... It's just that... well... we know Sadira is not much of a cook..."

"Yeah," Aladdin chuckled. "Remember that time you messed up that soup that turned Iago into an hourglass?."

"I remember," Sadira answered with a rather forced smile. "But... well... my cooking's improved a little since then... Tamir and Nefertari have been helping me..."

"That's right!." Tamir turned to Aladdin angrily. "Look, I know you two are probably used to servants bringing you exotic delicacies on silver and gold platters, but this is not the palace!."

"Tamir!," Nefertari said firmly. "There was no cause for that!."

The boy said nothing. He folded his arms across his chest like a child that had just been scolded.

Nefertari sighed and shook her head. "I think I had better go and see if your bread is ready, Sadira. I will be back in a moment. Come with me, Gabrielle, dear." And with that she left the room with the child, who Aladdin and Jasmine one last dark look before she followed...

There was a heavy and awkward silence between the four remaining people... Then Jasmine decided to break the silence...

"Sadira, I want to talk to you about something," she began. "I... well... We found your note the day after our engagement banquet... We were very worried about you..."

"Worried about her?," Tamir thought angrily. "They were worried about her, and yet it took them this long to bother finding out if she was all right?."

Sadira nodded. "Yeah, I thought you must have found it 'cause I didn't see it there the last time I was in Agrabah for your wedding... But you left the dress for me I see..." A small smile played about her lips...

"You looked beautiful in it," Jasmine said. "And we were glad to see you at our wedding... but..." her voice trailed off... She and Aladdin looked at each other again...

Aladdin then cast a wary glance at Tamir. "Sadira... I... I think we should tell you something..."

"Me first," interrupted Sadira, smiling in anticipation. Then she took Tamir's hand. "Aladdin, Jasmine, it looks like you two aren't the only ones getting married."

The princess and the hero looked at each other...

Beaming, Tamir squeezed Sadira's hand. "Sadira and I just became engaged last night," he announced proudly.

Aladdin and Jasmine's mouths opened in shock and astonishment.

"What?!," the future sultan gasped. "But... But you can't!... I mean... I know you're over that stupid crush on me... but... why did you leave Agrabah that night?... Was it because of him?..." He pointed to Tamir.

The young man's face hardened as he fixed his gaze angrily on Aladdin. "When you turn away a gift, it goes to the next person who will accept it and appreciate it," he answered coldly. "What did you expect her to do, just wait around to be a part of your royal harem, Sultan Aladdin?!. One of your concubines?!."

"Woah! Easy!." Sadira put a restraining hand on his shoulder. "Calm down, Tamir. There's no need to start a war here. Aladdin and Jasmine are my friends you know."

Jasmine looked uncomfortable. "Sadira... I think Aladdin and I need to talk to you for a minute... in private." She looked at Aladdin, and he nodded.

"What about?." Sadira raised her eyebrows.

"Just please come outside with us." Jasmine took Sadira's hand and Aladdin followed.

"I'll be right back," the girl assured Tamir.

He nodded, frowning.

Once Sadira was outside the old abandoned house she pulled free of Jasmine's hand and crossed her arms. "All right, what's the big idea, you two?. What's going on?."

"Sadira," Aladdin began. "Don't you know you're in danger?."

"Danger?. From what?," she demanded. She had never heard of anything so ridiculous!.

"Don't you know?," Jasmine answered. "Tamir... He... He's not who you think he is..."

"What are you talking about?."

"I know him!," Aladdin stated firmly. "He's evil! A creep! No matter what he's done to trick you into thinking he loves you!."

Seeing the shocked and disbelieving expression on Sadira's face, Jasmine spoke again. "Sadira, has Aladdin ever told you about Mozenrath?. He was once the lord of these lands, but he was a terrible, greedy and power hungry monster. More then once he tried to destroy us so he could rule Agrabah, and if it hadn't been for Aladdin he would have succeeded."

"So?," Sadira snapped. "What happened to this Mozenrath guy? And what does this have to do with Tamir?."

"I defeated him," Aladdin said with more then just a hint of cockiness in his tone. "Or I guess you could say he defeated himself, and lost his power and his kingdom in the process... We thought we'd seen the last of him... until a few days ago..."

Sadira narrowed her eyes. "What are you saying?..."

"It was the day before our wedding," Jasmine explained. "The guards told us they had seen a young man fitting Mozenrath's description in the marketplace..." Jasmine's voice trailed off...

"So what?!," she snapped. "Just because Tamir looks a little like this great enemy of yours doesn't mean he is!."

Aladdin and Jasmine looked at each other again... Then Jasmine showed Sadira a familiar object... "Is this Tamir's glove?..."

Sadira gasped... It was that same glove Tamir used to cover his bone arm... He had lost it back in Agrabah...

"Mozenrath's glove was magic... and he traded the flesh off his own arm for the magic, and the power, in that glove... but in the end he lost his power because of his own greed... He was still alive when we saw him last..." Aladdin explained. "And we knew the moment we saw that bone hand Tamir was trying to hide..."

Still refusing to believe that her beloved Tamir was evil and a danger to her, Sadira snatched the glove from Jasmine. "No!," she interrupted Aladdin. "There's no way!. Tamir was found far far away from here, by a river... He doesn't even remember anything before that... He..."

"He's probably been lying to you since you found him, Sadira!," Aladdin persisted. "Weather you believe us or not, that fiancee of yours is dangerous!. Listen to me!. Mozenrath was a magic collector. He's probably just using you so he can get close to the secrets of the Witches of the Sand!. You've got to stay away from him!."

Sadira was about to open her mouth in protest when she heard a muffled gasp behind her... She, Aladdin and Jasmine spun around to see Tamir by the doorway... It was obvious from the hurt and pained expression on his face that he had heard everything...

"I'm... I'm evil?..." he sobbed, tears streaming down his face, then he looked at his hideous deformity, his bone hand... "I'm a monster! A freak!."

"No!," Sadira cried reaching out for him, but he just backed away, shaking his head in confusion and fear.

"You had better not touch me, Sadira," he whispered. "I'm dangerous." And with that he slowly began to dissolve in his tears, sobbing until he had become sand... Then the sand fell into a pile on the ground...

"Tamir!," Sadira cried.

"What?!," gasped Aladdin in shock. "What just happened?!."

Sadira shook her head sadly, tears welling up in her own eyes. "It's sand magic... I've been teaching him stuff like that... He's been getting better at it..."

"What!. Sadira, are you crazy?!. Now Mozenrath will probably use that magic you've taught him to try to gain more power for himself!. I'll bet that's what he's been planning all along!."

At this, Sadira became enraged. She stood up and looked Aladdin full in the face. "Don't you dare talk like that about him!," She growled angrily. Then she snatched her cloak from the doorway. "I'm going after him!. How could you drive him away like that?!."

"Sadira, you're our friend!. We're just trying to protect you," Jasmine insisted. "You don't know Mozenrath like we do!."

Her blue green eyes flashing, Sadira shook off Jasmine's hand from her shoulder. "And you," she said coldly, "You don't know Tamir like I do!. He's sweet, he's honest and he cares way more about me then you guys ever did!." She then darted away from the abandoned house, heading out of the city to the open desert, certain that was where he had gone... The princess and the hero were left behind to stare after her in shock...

As Sadira ran, she tried to forget and block out Aladdin and Jasmine's words. Tamir was not evil!. He could never have been the cruel, power hungry monster they had described!... And yet... something about him... Something about how uneasy the Land of the Black Sands made him, made both of them, sparked a memory... A dark, cold, lifeless city... An evil sorcerer, capturing her and imprisoning her... A pale young boy, purposely allowing her to escape... In her mind she saw that boy's face, pale and unhealthy looking, eyes full of pain... Then it slowly and gradually became another, more familiar, older face... Happy, gentle and loving... Tamir...

Forgive me for the past
For every time I've let you down
For every wrong
Please forgive me
Just no way a man can last
Standing out there all alone
Without a friend, without a home
To call his own

Don't go
Don't leave
Stay with me
You are the key to my heart
I know If you'll stay you'll see
Nothing can tear us apart
Love you forever
Love you for always
Together together

Such a simple thing to make it right
I admit that I've been wrong
Put my pride aside
And carry on
Deep inside you hear a voice
Asking you to make a choice
Before you choose, think of all we've done
And all that we can do

Don't go
Don't leave
Stay with me
You are the key to my heart
I know If you'll stay you'll see
Nothing can tear us apart
Love you forever
Love you for always
Together together

You see because life don't mean nothing
Without you I would die
So the prayer I pray you'll answer today
Is stay by my side

("Stay With Me" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Inspirational)


The dark figure watched the scene from his hiding place in the shadows as the sun began to sink lower into the desert sky... A sly, evil smile spread across his face... The boy had his memory back, he knew of his past... Now it was time to strike...


Blinded by his tears, Tamir ran aimlessly through the streets of the deserted city... Aladdin's words ringing in his ears... Evil, dangerous, greedy, power hungry... Maybe he was right... He turned to look back at the ruined citadel in the distance... Memories were coming back to him every minute... A frightened, lonely little boy... An evil, cruel wizard... A portrait of his long dead mother.... Basimah... That evil sorcerer had caused his mother to die... and then his long lost older sister... Meri... They were both murdered trying to save him... It was then that Gabrielle's face appeared in his mind... Gabrielle was Meri's daughter?!... He then glanced down at his bone arm... Another face haunted his memory... Aladdin... He and Princess Jasmine had been his enemies, destroying his numerous plans to conquer the lands of the seven deserts... uncovering his painful handicap... rescuing Agrabah from him... protecting the innocent from his evil...

"No!," he sobbed, remembering the tyrant, the monster, he had been not so very long ago. "No! No!." He collapsed to his knees, burying his face in his hands... What was the use of this happier existence if he was only going to remember his old life now?... What was the use of this love and peace he now felt if he was only going to remember the hate and the greed of his past?...

Getting to his feet, he made his way over to a nearby stream, in the shade of a few small palm trees... He sat down by the river, folding his arms around his legs...

"Tamir?..." a familiar, soft voice came from behind him...

He turned to see Nefertari approaching him... An expression of worry and concern in her eyes...

"Hello," she smiled gently. "I thought I might find you here."

Tamir gave a halfhearted smile in return. "And why not?... After all, It was by a river that you and Sadira found me..."

"Yes... But we would rather not lose you by a river as well..."

Tamir was silent... This meant that she knew about what Aladdin and Jasmine had told Sadira...

Nefertari sat down beside him... "You know, you should not let it bother you, what the princess and Aladdin said... It makes no difference who or what you were in the past..."

"How can I stay on though?..." the boy demanded. "It's like... everything... everything I thought... everything I am now... is a lie..."

"No, you are one of us now. You belong with us, with Sadira, Gabrielle, and all those here who love you."

Tears were still streaming down Tamir's cheeks... He turned away slowly... but Nefertari touched his face gently and lifted his head up so that his gaze met hers.

"Tamir," she said. "Do you know what my people, the Egyptians, believe about the sun?."

The boy's eyes widened in surprise. "No," he whispered.

She smiled and pointed to the bright, colorful desert sunset in the distance. "It is believed in Egypt," she began, "That the sun has a life of it's own... and every night it sets, sinking into the earth... and dies."

In spite of himself, Tamir had to smirk. "Well... that was quite cheering..."

The Egyptian woman laughed warmly. "Ahhh, but wait. This story has a happier ending... After the sun dies, the night comes... But then, just when the world seems darkest, the sun rises up into the sky again... for it has been reborn."

The boy shook his head with a sad smile. That was a lovely fairy tale, but not at all practical. He didn't see what it had to do with him either.

"I don't deserve what I have now," he sighed. "You should have just left me by that river... Why... Why did you chose me?..."

Nefertari smiled gently. "We didn't... fate did." Then she got to her feet. "Tomorrow the Asiyah leaves the Land of the Black Sands... I know how heartbroken little Gabrielle and Sadira will be if you do not come with us... After all, who else would Sadira teach her magic to?..."

"You... You knew about that?..." the boy gasped.

She nodded, a kindly smile on her face. "Yes, and I know about this as well..." She touched Tamir's sleeve and gently pushed it back to reveal his skeletal hand... "You two needn't have worried, for everyone here has a similar story... All of us, especially Sadira and Gabrielle, wish you to stay, but of course it is your decision..." Then she started to make her way back to the ruined city... Leaving Tamir with his thoughts, his memories and his choices...

This is your home, my son
Here the river brought you
And it is here the river meant
To be your home
Now you know the truth, love
Now forget and be content
When the gods send you a blessing
You don't ask why it was sent...

("All I Ever Wanted" Queen's Rephrase from "The Prince Of Egypt" Soundtrack)


Tamir slowly opened his eyes to find himself still by the river... He remembered falling asleep here as the night was approaching, and now it was here... The moon and stars shone as they had last night, mirrored in the clear water... A cool breeze shifted through the leaves of the palms...

The boy shivered, putting his arms around himself for warmth. Hot tea and a small fire back at camp would be a welcome sight right about now... especially if Sadira and the others were there to share it with... Then he shook his head. How could he go back?. How could he possibly face them?. How could he ever face Sadira again after he had run off like the cowardly weakling?... as bad as... yes... as bad as the boy he once was...

"But I'm not the boy I once was," he thought to himself... He glanced down at his dry, bone arm... Memories still coming back to him... He remembered the night he had lost his arm for the power in that accursed gauntlet... Tears started to run down his face again as he remembered his long lost older sister... Meri... whom he had also lost that night... Her face flashed in front of his eyes... then slowly it became Gabrielle's face... Another face appeared in his mind... A young girl... Dark skin, startling blue green eyes and smoky black hair... Sadira... It was her... the young girl whom Destane had captured, and whom he, Mozenrath, had let escape...

"But I am not Mozenrath anymore," he thought, brushing the tears away from his eyes... Then he went to wash his face in the clear stream... He studied his reflection in the water... "I am Tamir," he smiled to himself. "I know who I am now!. I am Tamir!." He laughed for joy as he dried the cool water off his face. He then looked back the way he had come... Back to the camp... His home, his family, were all there... They would be leaving this place tomorrow... and they were waiting for him...

Just then, he heard a rustling in the reeds by the stream... Startled, he stepped back as a small creature emerged from it's hiding place in the grass... It was an eal... It looked at the boy with a mixture of fear and curiosity on it's face... Then to Tamir's surprise, it flew up to him, studying his face...

"Master?," it croaked...

At once, one more face became clear in the boy's memory... "Xerxes!," he cried. "Have you been here all this time? What happened to you?." Delighted, he reached out to pet his old familiar... but the eal backed away timidly...

"Master not angry?..." he asked, bewildered. "Master look and act different?..."

Tamir gave a wry smile. "Yes, Xerxes, and you don't have to be afraid of me anymore, though Allah knows you have a right to be... I used to take almost everything bad that happened to me in my life out on you, didn't I?..."

Xerxes nodded glumly... "City empty... Citadel destroyed... Xerxes think master dead... Went to live here... Xerxes lonely without master..."

Tamir smiled and petted the eal, who did not pull away this time. "You don't have to be lonely anymore, old friend. I have a family and a new home now. You would be welcome among them," he offered.

At this, Xerxe's face brightened. "Family?... New home?... Mozenrath not lying?..."

"No, Xerxes," the boy laughed. "I'm not lieing, and my name is Tamir now."

Happily, the eal nuzzled his bone hand. "Like that name better!. Like new master better!. We go now?. We go now?."

Tamir chuckled and was about to say yes, when he heard a strange, almost ghostly sounding voice... It seemed to come from all around him...

"Mozenrath..." the voice blended in with the rustling of the palm leaves in the wind...

With a yelp of fear, Xerxes took cover in Tamir's long, thick sleeve, as he used to do in the old days...

"Mozenrath..." the voice came again, as a thick, eerie mist surrounded the oasis...

The boy shuddered, backing away in fright when he saw the strange figure emerging from the darkness... "Who... Who's there?... Who are you?..."

"I think you know, boy," came the chilling reply... And with that the unseen form stepped into the faint light... At first it resembled a hideous zombie... a mamluk... then slowly it began to change shape... becoming a familiar form... Even it's voice began to change as it spoke...

Tamir's mouth opened in shock as he fought back a gasp of fear... The being before him was the one from his nightmare... All at once, the last pieces of his memory, and of his past, fell into place...

"Your lordship," came the all to familiar mocking hiss. "Look at what the years have done to you. You, the great sorcerer and Lord of the Land of the Black Sands, all dressed up like a common, vulgar peasant shepherd boy! What a funny sight!."

"That face..." whispered Tamir...

"Last seen on a night like this one..."

The boy's eyes widened in recognition... "A curse..." He glanced down at his bone arm...

"Followed by a tragic night in the desert... Remember?!."

"I remember you all to clearly," Tamir answered coldly, his fear quickly being replaced by anger. Then he gave the newcomer a mocking bow. "I wondered where you'd gone, not to Hell as I'd hoped. But here, may I be the last to welcome you back to the Land of the Black Sands, my dear uncle, Destane," he sneered, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

"I think you have it wrong, my dear boy. It is I who should be welcoming you back home, after all I have never left this kingdom."

The young man's face hardened. "This is not my home, you old fool. Allah knows, It never was to begin with."

"Ooo, wrong again child," his former master smirked, making his way menacingly towards him. "The Land of the Black Sands is indeed your home... In fact, it is the only home you will ever know..." He then produced a familiar object from his sleeve... "I even have a welcome home present for you... Recognize this?..."

"The gauntlet?... But... But it has no power anymore... All it's been good for is covering my..."

"Stupid boy!," Destane laughed cruelly. "You forget, your master has friends in high places, friends who can restore the power in this glove!. Surely you remember my old acquaintance... Mirage..." As he spoke, he placed the gauntlet on his own skeletal arm...

Tamir's eyes widened as he backed away in horror... He could feel poor Xerxes shivering with fear beneath his sleeve... That familiar bluish black light radiated from the glove and surrounded his evil former master...

Summoning up all of his nerve, the boy clenched his teeth and took a defiant step towards Destane. "I destroyed you once and I can do it again!. I'm not afraid of you!," he yelled, raising his fist.

"I shall remedy that!," sneered the sorcerer, and with that he raised his gauntleted arm...

The earth under Tamir's feet shook and moved... The boy looked down just in time to see the earth separating underneath him... eroding into a deep, bottomless gorge... He just barely managed to save himself by grabbing onto the ledge... He struggled to pull himself up, but he was slipping... slipping...

"Master!," came Xerxe's frantic voice. Tamir looked up with relief as the eal grabbed onto his sleeve and desperately tried to pull him up.

But Destane, furious, roughly slapped the eal away. "Treacherous, no legged lizard!," he snarled, then he turned and grinned menacingly down at the boy who was still struggling to hold onto the edge of the cliff. "Say your prayers, boy!. Noone can save your worthless hide now!."

"Wanna bet!," came an angry voice behind them... Tamir gasped when he saw her... Sadira!... That all to familiar rage burning in those beautiful blue green eyes... She raised her hands, and at once a sandstorm surrounded Destane, throwing him to the ground... Sadira then ran to where Tamir was losing his grip on the ledge. "Give me your hand!," she cried, stretching her own hand out to him...

The boy was grasping the cliff with his good hand, so he had no choice but to reach out with his bone hand. This was no time to be self conscious. He clung to Sadira's hand as she helped him to pull himself up.

"Sadira, you have to get away from here!," he gasped, trying to catch his breath as he climbed back up onto solid ground.

"No!," she snapped, putting her hands on his shoulders to steady him. "I'm not leaving you!."

"Ooo, how enchanting!," hissed the sorcerer as he got to his feet, recovering from Sadira's little sand storm. "So sorry I will have to come between you two!."

The magic light was radiating from the gauntlet once more... Destane raised his gauntleted arm threateningly...

"Look out!," the boy screamed. He and Sadira both leapt away in opposite directions, dodging the fatal blasts...

Enraged, the wizard seized Tamir by the hair, pulling him to his feet and raising his glove once more... "You cannot escape me again, just as your parents and your sister couldn't!. Goodbye, Mozenrath!."

"Get away from him!," Sadira screamed, raising her hands again... This time an even larger sandstorm overtook Destane... The sorcerer was forced to release his hold on Tamir, who was thrown to the ground, unhurt, by the force of the sandstorm... He watched in horror as the enraged wizard's fury was now focused on Sadira...

"You little minx!," Destane snarled, seizing her arm and raising his glowing gauntleted hand. "I've had just about enough of your meddling!."

Quick as a flash, Sadira dissolved into sand, the very same trick she was teaching Tamir... She then reappeared beside the relieved boy...

"You have to catch us first, old man!," Tamir snarled back... Then he and Sadira, grasping each other's hands, both dissolved magically into sand... When they reappeared they were at least a good few miles from the oasis where Destane was...

"Do you see him anywhere?," the girl asked.

"No, I think we've lost him," Tamir said, looking around...

"Think again, boy!," the sorcerer growled, suddenly materializing in front of them.

Tamir at once felt the ground give way beneath his feet... He was going to fall again... He barely managed to grab onto the edge of the cliff, and cast a frightened glance down... There were flames, like those of a great fire down below...

"Tamir!." Sadira quickly leapt to the edge of the man made abyss and grabbed his arm. "Hang on!."

Furious, Destane raised his arm again...

Tamir's and Sadira's eyes widened in horror...

Suddenly, the familiar form of Xerxes flew out from behind a rock and attacked Destane, trying to rip off the glove...

"You stupid fish!," the wizard screeched as he struggled to keep his balance so close to the edge of the cliff... Finally the gauntlet was torn off Destane's arm, revealing the hideous skeleton... The wizard lost his balance in the struggle and toppled over the cliffs edge... But he managed to grasp Tamir's ankle... Pupil and teacher began to slide further and further down the cliff...

"Hold on!," Sadira begged as she struggled to grasp Tamir's bone hand...

The boy glanced down fearfully at Destane, who was leering up at him... pulling him down with his own skeletal hand...

"You'll never escape me, child!. Never!."

"Master!," Xerxes croaked, flying up to Tamir. The boy suddenly felt something thrust into his hand... The glove?...

"My gauntlet!," Destane cried. "Give it to me!."

His fear rapidly being replaced by a calm, silent rage, Tamir raised the glove tauntingly over his old master's head with his free hand...

"Give it back!," the sorcerer screeched again, as he struggled to keep his hold on the boy's ankle while reaching for his prize...

A cold smile spread across Tamir's face... "Goodbye, Master!," he hissed... and with that he dropped the glove into the raging flames...

"Nooo!!!," screamed Destane. Half crazed by rage and fear, he released Tamir's ankle, grabbing for the gauntlet as it fell... But it slipped through his bony fingers... He leapt after it...

Tamir looked away, ignoring his former master's screams as Destane and the glove fell down into the fire below...

Quickly Sadira grabbed a hold of Tamir's other hand and pulled him up... Just as an explosion erupted from the canyon... Sadira and Tamir both leapt away from the cliff, clutching each other as the explosion ceased and the canyon closed...

For a moment all was silent except for the sound of their heavy breathing...

"Are... Are you all right?..." Tamir finally gasped.

The girl nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine," she answered, catching her own breath.

He looked at her with relief. "I... I thought I would never see you again..."

Sadira gave him her characteristic, good natured smirk. "You know you can't get rid of me that easily."

"I've noticed," Tamir grinned as they got to their feet.

"Master all right?!," came a familiar voice. "Girl all right?."

"Yes, Xerxes," Tamir smiled, stroking the eal's head as he emerged from hiding beneath his sleeve.

Sadira raised her eyebrows. "Xerxes?... "

"Yes, this is Xerxes," the boy explained. "It's a rather... er... long story..."

She nodded. "I'd like to hear it..." Her eyes then fixed themselves on his hands...

"Tamir!," she gasped, pointing. "Look!."

He looked down... and nearly cried out in surprise and joy!. His bone arm, his hideous bone arm... It was healed!. Instead of the horrid, skeletal arm there was now only a complete arm of flesh and blood!.

Laughing, and with tears of relief and joy shining in their eyes, the two young people embraced and Xerxes swam about happily.

"Everything's all right now," Sadira smiled. "Come on, we'd better get back to camp if we're going to leave in the morning."

At this Tamir stepped back. "Go back?..." he asked awkwardly. "Aladdin and the princess are still there... aren't they?..."

"I don't know," Sadira answered, holding out her hand to him. "But it doesn't matter, does it?. If they're still there then we'll face them together, right?."

Tamir looked at her for a moment... Then he smiled... "Yes, just like we've faced everything else, together." Then he took her outstretched hand. "Let's go home."

Nefertari smiled as she watched them... unseen from where she was standing nearby... "Well done," she thought to herself. "I am so proud of you. You know, you are, in a sense, both my children... Although, I can see that you are not "children" anymore..."

"Splendid work indeed," came a calmly furious voice from behind her. "I must say, you have allot of nerve ruining my plans like this!."

Not even startled, the middle aged woman turned to face the newcomer... "Hello... Mother..." She gave Mirage a quiet smile.

"Hello, kitten," hissed the cat sorceress. "Still the do gooder as always, I see."

At this Nefertari laughed softly. "Oh no, what just happened was none of my doing. The credit goes to Sadira and Mozenrath... or should I say Sadira and Tamir?."

"I've noticed," Mirage smirked. "Those children, they are about as difficult to crush as that infernal Aladdin and Jasmine!."

"Of course," came the cool reply. "And as you can see, I am not the only one watching out for them... The boy's mother and sister were dear friends of mine, as you will remember..."

"Just like your father!," Mirage growled, even further enraged. "You seem to have made a habit out of befriending and aiding these pathetic mortals!. It's a mystery how we can even share the same blood, kitten!."

"And why not?," her daughter answered calmly. "After all, it was Father who helped young Mozenrath by taking away his memory temporarily..."

"You treacherous little minx!." Mirage clenched her claw like hands in rage. "Have you forgotten who raised you? Who taught you? It certainly wasn't your father! And yet you are following in his own weak, overly merciful footsteps?!."

"You've just answered your own question, Mother, dear."

Mirage's eyes burned with fury at her daughter's calmness... so like Fasir's... "Think well, Nefertari, before you, your father, or any of your band of desert scum, defy me again!," she hissed menacingly.

But Nefertari only smiled at her gently, not the slightest bit intimidated. "Ahh, think well before you risk our defiance again, Mother."

Back to index


Chapter 8: Epilogue: When You Believe

Epilogue

When You Believe

Aladdin and the Princess Jasmine were not there when Tamir and Sadira returned... Tamir at first was worried that they had gone back to Agrabah to send for their armies to hunt them down, but Sadira insisted that despite everything they were still her friends, and would not do a thing like that... Never the less, Tamir and little Gabrielle found themselves in a hurry to help get everyone packed and the caravan moved out of the ruined city...

Later that morning, as Nefertari and the Tribe of Asiyah made their way farther and farther away from the remains of the Land of the Black Sands, in the company of their families, their friends, children and animals, Tamir made a silent promise to himself, to never to look back... He didn't care if he ever saw this horrible place again, and neither did Sadira and Gabrielle...

He smiled as he watched his little niece, talking and laughing with the other children as Lana trotted at her heels and Xerxes flew behind her. The eal and the little girl had struck up a friendship quite quickly.

Gabrielle looked so much like Meri, Tamir thought... and so much like Basimah as well... One day, when he felt she was ready, he would tell the child about her mother and grandmother... But never would he or Sadira speak of their encounter with Destane...

He then felt someone take his newly healed hand, and turned to look into the eyes of his beloved Sadira... She smiled at him and squeezed his hand... He smiled back and kissed her as they walked with the others... heading towards the mountains in the far distance, shining in the light of the rising desert sun...

Remembering Nefertari's words, the young man smiled to himself as he watched the sun rise higher and higher into the desert sky... "The sun is reborn again."

Many nights we've prayed
With no proof anyone could hear
In our hearts a hopeful song we barely understood
Now we are not afraid
Although we know there's much to fear
We were moving mountains long before we knew we could

There can be miracles when you believe
Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles you can achieve
When you believe, somehow you will
You will when you believe

In this time of fear
When prayer so often proved in vain
Hope seemed like the summer birds, to swiftly flown away
Yet, now I'm standing here
With heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say

There can be miracles when you believe
Though hope is frail, It's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles you can achieve
When you believe, somehow you will
You will when you believe

A-shi-ra la-do-ni ki ga-oh- ga-ah
(I will sing to the lord for he has triumphed gloriously)

A-shi-ra la-do-ni ki ga-oh- ga-ah
(I will sing to the lord for he has triumphed gloriously)

Mi-cha- mo-cha ba-elim adoni
(Who is like you o lord among the celestial)

Mi-ka- mo-cha ne-dar- ba-ko-desh
(Who is like you majestic in holiness)

Na-chi-tah v'-chas-d'-cha am zu gal-al-ta
(In your love you lead the people you redeemed)

Na-chi-tah v'-chas-d-cha am zu gal-al-ta
(In your love you lead the people you redeemed)

A-shi-ra, a-shi-ra, a-shi-ra
(I will sing, I will sing, I will sing)

There can be miracles when you believe
Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles you can achieve
When you believe, somehow you will
Now you will
You will when you believe

You will when you believe...

("When You Believe" from "The Prince Of Egypt" Soundtrack)

The End

Dedicated to the memory of Jonathan Brandis (April 13, 1976 - November 12, 2003) who provided the voice of Mozenrath.

The "Aladdin" TV series and it's characters are a copyright of Disney, with the exception of Nefertari, Gabrielle, and the tribe of Asiyah, who are my own creations.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=370