A *Magical* Anniversary by SpECial SpICe



Summary: It's Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding anniversary, but Aladdin put it off until the last minute. When he finds Jasmine the perfect gift, something goes wrong and Jasmine starts to act strange...and it really turns into a magical anniversary.
Rating: G starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Rajah, Other, Aladdin, Carpet, Cassim, Genie, Iago, Jasmine, Mozenrath, Sultan
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 06/19/05
Updated: 06/25/05


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

It was a regular, normal, nothing new day for the people of Agrabah. Shopping in the marketplace, buying, selling and trading. The average normal day, but up in the palace it wasn't so average. Today was Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding anniversary, and Aladdin had no clue what to get Jasmine.
"Flowers!" Genie shouted.
"No, I get her flowers on a regular basis, Genie," Aladdin said depressingly as he lay surround in pillows.
"Let's see, let's see...um...clothes!" Genie suggested.
Aladdin looked up at Genie with a "you have to be kidding me" look.
Genie paced the room thinking some more.
"Okay, ummm...ooooh! I know! I know!" Genie exclaimed with the enthusiasm of a child. "How bout you cook for her!" Genie suddenly transformed into a big french chef. "Some escargot maybe? Zsay are quite good with zee ketchup, no?" Genie hinted holding the escargot plate with one hand and smothering them with ketchup in the other.
"Cook?" Aladdin looked up at Genie as if he had gone insane (which usually was the case).
"Cook? Genie, I can't even boil water without burning it. I can't believe I waited so long to *start* deciding on an anniversary gift," Aladdin said as he gazed up at the ceiling.
"Okay so the options of flowers, clothes and cooking are definitely out," Genie said changing back into his regular form.
"Well what do you wanna get her, Al?" Genie asked scratching his head.
"I don't know, Genie," Aladdin said with an exasperated sigh.
"Hmm, alrighty then, let's check the "I-Forgot-My-Wedding-Anniversary-Gift-And-Now-I-Can't-Think-Of-Anything-To-Get-My-Wife-Because-I-Put-Off-Getting-Her-Gift-Until-The-Last-Minute-So-I'm-Using-This-Book-To-Get-An-Idea-So-I-Won't-Be-Sleeping-Outside-For-The-Next-Two-Months-Big-Book-Of-Wedding-Anniversary-Gifts," the title was so long it almost lulled Aladdin to sleep, even though it explained his entire situation.
"Why didn't you look in that in the first place?"
"I dunno, I guess I forgot I had it." Genie said with nervous laugh as he thumbed through the books pages. "Let's see how about...perfume?"
"Nah, she's got hundreds of bottles in her vanity drawer,"
"Okay, a teddy bear and a rose?"
"I gave her that last week. I should have saved that one,"
"An old fashioned love quilt?"
"Next!"
"Jewelry, treasure, riches!," a voice screamed, it didn't take long to figure out that it was good ol' Iago.
"Well, if it isn't ol' loud mouth! How are ya, pal?!" Genie said as he took the parrot in his arms and gave him a big bear hug...literally!
Iago squirmed for breath and he finally managed to wiggle free and mutter, "Jerk" under his breath.
"It's good to see you again, Iago. How've you been?"
"Forget the small talk! I'm talking and thinking big! I'm talking rare jewels, money...and ahh gold!"
"Oh boy, another crazed treasure hunt right, Al?" Genie said as he jokingly nudged his friend, only to find that Aladdin had that mischievious grin on his face.
"Al? Helloooo! Earth to Al?"
"Jewelry! That's it! The one thing Jasmine can't get enough of,"
"Forget the princess! What about ME!? What about MY treasure! MY happiness?" flapped over to Aladdin and made wild gesticulations.
"Iago!" a sudden deep voice cried.
"Aaaah! Rasoul! I'm uh-who are you?" Iago shivered in his place, trying to play the amnesia bit, thinking it was Rasoul. After all it was illegal for him to be in Agrabah.
"Iago, it's me Cassim," the man said as he strolled toward the group. He smirked at Iago and then turned to his son and opened his arms.
Aladdin got up and embraced his father.
"Dad, how did you get passed the guards? What are you doing here?"
"Can't a father come and visit his son, especially since it's since his wedding anniversary?" Cassim replied slyly as he pulled out a small wrapped box, Aladdin took it graciously even though it didn't show on his face. "Now what's this about jewelry? As loud as Iago was I'm surprised the guards didn't hear or at least catch him,"
"It's going to be Jasmine's gift, I sort of put it off until now" Aladdin said as he flushed a bit.
"Tsk, tsk, tsk, Aladdin," Cassim said waving his index finger. "So do you plan to go down to the marketplace and-"
"Not unless Genie knows a place,"
"Ah ha! Raven's Forbidden Oasis!" Genie said, his eyes focused into the book.
"Huh?" Aladdin, Cassim and Iago asked in unison.
"RFO, it's a mysterious oasis that's said to have jewelry to fit any woman's fantasies, but...uh oh there's a page missing, looks like Fido got a hold of it!" Genie said holding a broken leash and making a blue dog identical to Pluto appear next to him.
"Perfect! Do you have a map to this place?"
"Yep! Got it right here!" exclaimed Genie reaching into his belt. But what he pulled out wasn't a map it was a fishing pole. "Uh-yep got it right here!" this time he pulled out a tacky polka dotted dress.
"Leave it to the big blue jerk to find a special gift!" Iago said as he landed softly on Cassim's shoulder.
Finally by the what seemed to be forever try Genie finally managed to grab the map.
"Ok, let's go," Aladdin whistled for Carpet and always Carpet was ready on hand.
As Cassim boarded he muttered, "I was and still am a little uneasy about this thing,"
"Before we go, I have to make up an excuse to tell Jasmine. If she finds out I put our anniversary off until the last minute I'll be sleeping with Rajah for quiet a while,"

As he arrived at their bedroom Aladdin took a deep breath hoping he could make up a good "exaggeration".
He opened the door slowly, "Jasmine?" he asked causiously and walked in the same.
Aladdin jumped as he felt two arms wrap around his waist from behind.
"Hello, my handsome prince,"
Aladdin laughed nervously praying he could pull this off.
"Uh-Jasmine, me and the guys are going to be gone for a couple of hours so I-mmmm-" before he could finish his sentence he was caught in a liplock with Jasmine. She slowly slipped her arms around his neck and he slipped his arms around her waist. This kiss had brought back the memory of their first.
When they finally pulled away, Jasmine stepped back and smiled. "Do you like my new lipgloss?"
Aladdin was speechless, the kiss took him by surprise but it made him feel guilty at the same time. All he could manage to say was "It's...nice,"
"I thought you would like it. After all today is very special, I know you haven't forgotten," she said signaling towards Rajah, who perked his head up and licked his lips.
Aladdin gulped and thought to himself, 'It had to be a tiger!'
"No, no, no, of course not you know I would *never* forget our wedding anniversary,"
"Now what were you about to tell me?"
"That I love you and I'm going to gone for a couple of hours," he started to back towards the door ",well gotta go the guys are waiting for me so we can set up the surprise par...whoops said too much already, bye!" and with that he slipped out into the hallway.
"Surprise, huh?" Jasmine said slyly, "We can work with that...right, Rajah," Rajah in return nodded yes and fell back sleep.

Aladdin met back up with the guys in the spare guest room.
"Alright guys, I managed to get away, she thinks there's a surprise party we're planning, let's go!" he announced and soon they were on their way to finding Raven's Forbidden Oasis.

"It should be...*here!" Genie said to everybody as he read the map.
"Are you sure Genie? Looks like a swamp to me," Aladdin replied with chills. The place seemed hollow and desperately lonely.
"Yep, it's one of those optical illooosions, to keep people away," Genie said with reassurance as part of him turned into a glass of water and the other part a pencil. Showing the group the illusion of a broken pencil.
"If you say so, take us down Carpet,"
"Now where's this cave or treasure trove or wherever this jewelry is kept?" Aladdin said looking around the environment.
The island had dead and dying trees and animal sounds that seemed out of this world. The water was grey and had algae spread across it like a thick blanket.
"Optical illusion, huh? Still looks like a swamp to me," Cassim said flatly picking up a dead root that turned to dust in his hand.
"Ya' can't blame a guy if he's wrong once in a while, right?" as he pulled some shovels out of his belt. "Now let's start digging, gentlemen," Genie said turning into a miner, singing a happy tune.
Even though Genie was ninety-six percent right most of the time,Aladdin still had his doubts about this jewelry. 'Rajah, here I come,' he thought to himself


Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Back in Agrabah, Jasmine sat in front of her mirror practicing being surprised. She had been there for a while now.
"Oh my! A surprise party for me? How sweet!" she said excitedly with wide eyes. She turned to Rajah and asked for his opinion. "What about that one, Rajah?"
Rajah twisted his face to show his disliking.
"Oh well, if at first you don't succeed try and try again, right?"
Before she could attempt to make another surprised face her father waddled in the same childish smile on his face.
"Hello, dearest. What are you doing?" he asked baffled.
"Preparing for the surprise party that Aladdin planned for...oops! Father please don't tell Aladdin I know," she begged.
"But dearest, Aladdin has nothing planned for this occasion, if he had I would surely know about it, unless there's something else, there's no planned party,"
Jasmine was confused and yet furious at the same time, she didn't want her father to see it though.
"Oh, okay thanks father," she said smiling through gritted teeth. Soon after the Sultan left, Jasmine began to talk to herself.
"How could he...I mean...no I'm sure I misunderstood him, he wouldn't lie to me, not after we promised there would be no secrets. It's just a misunderstanding that's all," she said through tears. "Just a misunderstanding,"

"Genie it's been over 2 hours, we might as well head back! I told Jasmine that I would be gone for a couple of hours," Aladdin said with defeat. His pants and shirt were splashed with decaying soil and mud. His hair was drenched in sweat and he was panting heavily.
"No, no, Al just a few more minutes," Genie had persisted that excuse for the past few hours. He had taken many forms to find the jewelry, a gopher, a ground hog, a dog and now a meer cat.
"Aladdin, don't give up yet, we might find this jewelry, besides-"
"Forget it, Dad, I might as well face my doom,"
The swampy oasis was potted with gigantic holes were Genie had continually dug.
A horn went off which startled everybody, it was Genie.
"ALLL! I found it!" Genie shouted with excitement.
The gang ran over to see the long awaited treasure.
"Thanks Genie, I owe you big time!"
Genie turned into Goofy and began to twist and blush, "Awww, garsh! A-huckle-yuck!" he tossed the box out of the hole and into Aladdin's hands.
"Looks like the big lug finally did something right!" Iago said.
Aladdin examined the box as everyone crowded. On top of the box was engraved the name, Raven in gold. Thinking nothing of it, he opened it and inside were the most beautiful pieces of jewelry he had ever seen.
In the center of the necklace was a white diamond, in the shape of an oval, that looked to have a silvery mist in it, on the sides of the diamond were smaller ones, and the finest gold rimmed the neck, as did the earrings, ring and bracelet. This was sure to be the perfect gift, for Jasmine.
"We've got it, let's go guys!"
The gang was headed back to Agrabah, with a very happy and relieved Aladdin on board. Though happy as he was he couldn't let down his shields yet, after when he left he said a couple of hours and he happened to be two hours late. 'Please be in a good mood, Jas, please be in a good mood.' he thought silently to himself.

On the way in Aladdin had to make sure that his father and Iago got in discretely. As Carpet approached a window, the gang heard a guard cry and jumped slightly.
"Rasoul! Rasoul! What is that?"
The group quickly dashed through the window hoping they were not seen. Thankfully the guard was talking about Rasoul's lunch and neither guard noticed a thing.
"Whew!" Genie said with relief as he turned into a camouflage outfit with a gun strapped to his back. "Good thinkin' men! The enemy is all around us!"
On his way to the bed chambers Aladdin dropped Genie and the guys off in one of the numerous guest rooms in the palace.
"Good luck, son" Cassim said as he collapsed on a fainting couch.
"Thanks, Dad...I'll need it,"

As Aladdin approached the bedroom, he prepped himself up, for *whatever* was in store for him. He slowly opened the door and peaked his head through, only to find Jasmine sitting on the bed, a look of concentration on her face.
Somehow she knew he was there, because she said in a solemn tone, "So you finally decided to come home,"
"Jas-I can explain," Aladdin walked towards her trying to play the puppy dog face plea.
"How could you lie to me? We promised...there's no party, I know,"
"Jasmine, listen to me-"
"I'm waiting, in fact that's exactly what I have been doing all day, waiting for you, for an explanation,"
"Okay, if you won't listen will you at least look?" he asked with a hint of sadness.
"Look? At what?" suddenly her anger at him turned to complete curiosity.
"This," Aladdin pulled the Raven engraved box out of his pocket then slowly opened it, to reveal the prize inside.
"Aladdin, it's-I-I mean-"
"Happy Anniversary, Jasmine," Aladdin got down on one knee, took the ring out of the box and slipped it on her ring finger.
"It's beautiful," she choked a sob and began to cry, ",and here I was doubting you."
Without notice Aladdin kissed Jasmine, tears or not, he didn't care and neither did Jasmine.
When they finally pulled away, Jasmine apologized for what she had said.
"Oh, before I forget let me give you your gift," she walked towards her vanity and pulled out a box as well and gladly passed it to him.
Inside was a gold compass that opened into a locket, on one side there was a picture of Aladdin and the gang and on the other was their wedding picture.
"Thank you Jasmine, I'll cherish it forever,"
"And I'll cherish mine," she took the remaining jewelry and proceeded to put them on in front of the mirror.
After she had put everything on she began to model it, causing them both to laugh.
"Arabia's Next Top Model," Aladdin joked.
"You think so? Maybe-" before she could finish her sentence a sudden jolt rushed through her body and then her eyes turned completely black.
'Finally, I'm back and my powers have been returned to me' a cold voice boomed, ranted and raved inside Jasmine's head.
"Jasmine? So what do you think of it?" Aladdin asked a bit warily.
Jasmine's eyes turned back to normal and she turned from her mirror to him, "Who are..." she began. 'Go along with it! It will all pay off soon enough.'
"Oh, I mean, uh, do you...do you mean the jewelry?" she asked questioning herself as well.
"Yeah,"
"It's perfect, gorgeous, fantastic, I mean what else could I say?" she said holding her hand up to her face admiring her ring.
Aladdin got up off of the bed and walked to her, wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her close.
"Great. I'm going to go check on the guys to see what they are up to...and then I'll be back and we can have the rest of the evening to ourselves," he said his lips almost touching hers.
"That sounds wonderful,"
He stole another passionate kiss from her and left the room, thanking Allah that he made it out alive.
As soon as he left the innocence left Jasmine's face and her eyes became pitch black once more. A twister like wind started to encircle Jasmine and she began to laugh maniacly.
"Fool, he may be handsome but he has no clue of what I shall soon do! My city was taken from me and now I want it back. I wonder what this frail body can do, it looks weak, oh well, this will have to do. I must talk him into taking me to my city but how? Oh I'll find way, he seems quite taken with this person. Hahahahaha!"

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Just before Aladdin opened the doors the the occupied guest room, Genie bursted out of them dressed as Sherlock Holmes, with a large magnifying glass, followed by Cassim and Iago. With Genie's best Sherlock accent he stated, "Elemental, my dear Al! Elemental magic that is! I detect a disturbance in the palace and my guess is that Mozy is up to something. I suggest we check it out," looking through his magnifying glass he then added, "Oooh! Tsk, tsk, someone hasn't been doing a good job of cleaning those curtains. Write that down Watson!" then suddenly a mini Genie appeared, seeming to be Watson.
"Right, sir. Good observation, sir,"
"Just when I try to get some peace and quiet, here we go on another life threatening adventure!"
"For once, I agree with you, Iago. Do we have to go now? I promised Jasmine that we would have the whole evening to ourselves tonight." Aladdin gave an exasperated sigh "What's next?"
Aladdin felt light tap on his shoulder, he turned around to find Jasmine smiling flirtaciously at him.
"Umm, uh, sweetheart, I was thinking-"
"Sorry interupt, Al, but there's no telling what Mozenrath is planning for Agrabah, I felt a powerful rush of magic in the palace...he could be up to something deadly."
"Genie, I already promised Jasmine and-"
'This Mozenrath sounds like some kind of sorcerer, maybe he knows of my city,' Jasmine thought to herself.
She automatically chimed into the conversation.
"What harm could it do just to look? After all it is better to be safe than sorry. Now let's go,"
"Are you sure? You actually *want* to go to Mozenrath's Citadel?" Aladdin asked confused.
"Well, you know, uh...why waste time talking? The people of um this city will be in more danger if we don't get a move on!" she said changing the subject to avoid suspicion.

'When are we going to get to this Mozenrath? I can't wait much longer!'
As Jasmine finished her thoughts they were face to face with Mozenrath's cold, lonely Citadel.
"Genie, you and Carpet will have to stay back, those magic detectors could alert Mozenrath we're here." Aladdin commanded as they landed.
"Got it, Al!"
Causiously, the remaining crew crept through the abandoned city.
"For Allah's sake! Why not just go in, instead of going through all of this nonsense? This is-"
She stopped her ranting and raving when she saw the surprised looks of everyone staring at her.
"This is all the excitement talking," she quickly covered her tracks, although she knew they suspected something, especially Aladdin.
"So who is this Mozenrath character, son?"
"Let's just say we have a *lot* of history, Dad."
"Yeah, this guy almost made Al history several times over," Iago whispered over to Cassim. Aladdin shot a glare back to Iago. "You ever heard of parrot shish-kabobs, Dad. I hear it's quite a delacacy in most places,"
"Hey, no need to get touchy!"
When they reached the entrance, standing in front of the massive doors, Jasmine's thoughts got the best of her again.
"Finally I thought we'd never reach the bloody city," she muttered under her breath as she looked around it, she touched the doors gently and suddenly realized something.
'This is it! This is my city! The wonderful beginning and disasterous end, but nothing will come between us again...nothing.' These peculiar thoughts were interuppted again when Aladdin said "I wonder what Mozenrath could be up to this time,"
"Oh once I get what I deserve back, he'll be more than-I mean me, too."
"Jasmine, maybe you should stay back with Genie and Carpet, you're acting very strange,"
The doors opened before Jasmine could make up an excuse to stay, and she was the first to walk in. "No time to waste, come on."
"Women," muttered Cassim.
Still wondering what got into her everyone entered. It was just as Aladdin remembered it, cold and bleak. But there were some great battles fought in that place, Aladdin had to admit. The doors closed with curdling screech, causing Iago to grab hold of Cassim's neck nearly choking him.
"Look, little one, if you're scared then squeeze my hand not my neck!" Cassim said through a silent gasping breath.
"Scared? Me? Please! This place doesn't scare me the least little bit!"
Another jolt rushed again through Jasmine, this one was not physically visible but she did feel it.
'I'm so close, I can taste it. My energy levels are getting stronger. I will finally have what belongs to me after all of these years!'
Walking through the hallways, there was no trace of a Mamluck, which was surprisingly odd.
"I think Mozenrath's undead servant are out of practice. We've been here for a while and there's no sign of them."
Not long after Aladdin's observation, here came the Mamlucks...it was an ambush! At least twenty came charging, swords in there cold dead hands.
'That Mozenrath character has turned my babies into horrid sculptures of natrue! He'll pay!'
A mamluck came towards her and with one punch to the stomach he fell to pieces.
"This is no competition or protection, for that matter. I might as well..." here came another mamluck and once again she tore it apart like tissue.
Cassim did a somersault and landed on top of the mamluck Aladdin was preparing to fight, decapitating its head.
"I've faced many things in my life, most of them gory...but never anything like this." Cassim confessed as he and Aladdin prepped up to fight another of the undead, while Iago flew around screaming.
"I know what you mean, Dad. No matter how many times I fight these guys it never stops being disgusting."
"I knew I should've stayed home! I had another chance to stay with the Genie and the rug, but no I had to come with you dare devils!"
Suddenly from them all came a black bliding flash and after the smoke lifted the mamlucks had been sliced. Body parts were everywhere!
Aladdin, Cassim and Iago exchanged looks then at Jasmine, who just shrugged her shoulders, like a child trying to clear their name, in return.
Stepping over the sliced bodies they continued their search.'I wonder what caused that blast,' Aladdin thought, he then looked over to Jasmine wondering if she knew anything about it.
Shortly after their battle they were materialized in Mozenrath's supposed throne room.
"Well, well, well look who decided to pay me a visit after all this time. My favortie arch rival, Aladdin...and you've brought company,too." Mozenrath raved as he stroked Xerces.
"Yeah company...heh heh heh"
"Mozenrath, long time no see. What are eyou up to now? Flooding the city? Mezmerizing the Sultan into giving you Agrabah? When are you going to realize that you can't win, not as long as I have anything to say about it," Aladdin said proudly in his 'hero' voice.
"Why Aladdin those are all magnificent ideas but I have no idea what you are talking about," Mozenrath declared as he arose from his throne and stretched his arms. "I have nothing planned for your useless city. But since you traveled all of this way, why should I disappoint you? If it's trouble you're looking for then it's trouble you've got!" Mozenrath gloated as he polished his gauntlet and fired it up towards Aladdin, but his glory was short lived.
"So, *you're* Mozenrath!" Jasmine blurted out. "Look what you have done to my city! It's just wretched, broken, and down trodden! I swore to keep the honor of my city and that's a promise I intend to keep. Face my wrath, boy!" Jasmine lifted her arm and a sudden blast of black power came from her petite hand, knocking Mozenrath and his eel hard into the wall.
He moaned a bit and tried to stand, but was very weak.
Jasmine sighed like she was trying to retain her breath. "My throne room! It's hideous have you no sense of fashion? You had no right to interfere with my land, my city, my life!"
"Jasmine screamed as she lifted Mozenrath up and blasted him into another corner.
"You deserve life in shakals and chains," with her magic she lifted him nad put him in the shakals in chains attached to the wall.
Jasmine snickered at his amazement, she felt a warm hand touch her shoulder and she turned around startled.
"Jasmine? What's happened to you? You're-"
Jasmine caressed his cheek lovingly, "Look, I know you have feelings for this Jasmine girl, I can sense it. But, I can't take the chance of your betrayal to me, not you or your little friends, sorry." she said it so coldly as if the words meant nothing to her.
With just a wave of her hand she sent Aladdin, Cassim and Iago hurtling back into the wall and put them in the same situation as Mozenrath.
"I've waited too long for this moment to come and now it will not be wasted. Although, I can see why this Jasmine married you, you're kind of cute."
"Who or what are you and what have you done with Jasmine?!"
'Jasmine' walked over to him and put a finger to his lips and said in a mellow tone "Shh, shh, before I answer, let me turn this wretched dump back to its luscious beauty,"
With a stomp of her foot a baby blue glow was released in waves, the once dark and disturbing home into a portrait filled Citadel sparkling unfamiliar blue symbols in the floor and ceiling.
"Nooo! Stop! what are you doing?!" Mozenrath screamed with fury.
"I'm taking back what is mine! You shouldn't have gotten so attached! Oh I almost forgot," with a few claps of her hands her normal turquoise outfit changed into a simple long sleeve off the shoulder black top with the pants to match. The pants had several chains hooked to them, and her shoes were black stilettos with the name Raven engraved into them.
And all the mamlucks in the room turned into deadly leopards, growling from hunger, while Xerces transformed into a graceful raven and whooshed over to his new master and sat patiently on her shoulder.
"Oh and to answer your question, Aladdin, I am Raven, Princess of Azcha. This was my kingdom, until the unfortunate disaster. But come now, its a happy occasion, well for me anyway, no need to dwell in the past," Raven suggested.
"How did you take over Jasmine's body, Raven?" Cassim asked struggling a little against the chains.
"To be honest, it was the jewelry that Aladdin gave her, the jewelry possesses, me. My energy and my spirit ran through her body and here I am!" Raven said with the ultimate pride.
"Well, Aladdin, now we know why the oasis is called Raven's Forbidden, that's probably what was on the missing page." Iago said rolling his eyes.
"Oh well I'm here now, I thank you, Aladdin. Now I can put my kingdom back into perspective." Raven said while stroking her pet. "Now if you will excuse me I have a kingdom to restore and the Seven Deserts to conquer!" and with another one of her maniacle laughs Raven exited leaving five leopards behind to guard her prisoners.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=611