Curse or Blessing? by Cassim fan



Summary: This story is also like 'Together II.' Cassim and Carina have gone to the layer after someone tried to kill Carina.
Rating: G starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Cassim's Adventures and Quests.
Published: 01/16/07
Updated: 03/10/07


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Reluctant Goal Failed and a Weakness Shows
Chapter 6: Chapter 6


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Carina was in the kitchen washing dishes. She stopped for a brief moment when the baby kicked. She placed her hand on her nine month pregant stomach. The baby could be born any day.

After a while she suddenly had a contraction! She stopped. Another one hit, only a little stronger. She dropped the pan she was washing.

"Cassim!"

Cassim came running into the kitchen.

"What is it? Are you okay?"

"It's time."

Cassim carried her into their room and placed her on the cot that he had prepared.

He helped her stay as comfortable as possible durning the contractions, which were getting stronger and more frequent.

Hours later Carina looked at him.

"The baby is moving down."

Right after she said that she screamed in pain. Cassim hurried to the foot of the cot and pushed her dress up to her hips.

"Try to relax. You can do this."

Carina screamed everytime she pushed. After a while she looked at Cassim with a panicked expression.

"Are you okay?"

"It won't move down any farther. It's stuck."

"Push harder."

Carina pushed harder and screamed.

"No good."

Cassim thought quickly.

"Carina, I'm gonna have you stand up a little ways away from the cot, spread your legs apart a little ways, and push as hard as you can."

He helped her to her feet, and they moved a little ways away from the cot. Carina spread her legs apart a little, with Cassim supporting her, and waited for him to tell her when to push.

"Okay. Ready. One,... two,... three,... push!"

Carina pushed as hard as she could and screamed louder than before.

This was one of the few times when Cassim wished he didn't have such good hearing.

Carina let her head fall back on his shoulder.

"It didn't work."

"Try again."

"Cassim,..."

"Try again!"

Carina tried again. She let her head fall back.

"We're going to lose the baby, I just know it."

"Carina, focus! We are *not* going to lose this baby! You have to give it all you've got! To do that you have to focus, so quit talking and push!" Cassim ordered rather fiercely.

Carina did as she was told. This time she looked at Cassim with hope admist the pain in her face and eyes.

"It worked. I can do the rest on the cot."

Cassim put her back on the cot. Once the head was out he let her rest a little while.

"Okay, Carina, listen, you need to give it everything you've got to get the shoulders out. After that everything else will come easily and quickly."

"Alright."

"Okay. Ready. One,... two,... three,... push!"

Carina gave it everything she had and screamed so loud it left Cassim's ears ringing!

"That's it! Come on, Carina! You can do it! Here it comes!"

Cassim caught the baby and quickly cleared its throat.

"We've got a girl."

Just as he finished wrapping the baby in a blanket he heard Carina speak in a voice full of pain.

"Oh, Lord, no."

He turned to her. Before he could ask her what was wrong she screamed in pain!

He put the baby down and rushed to her side.

"What's wrong?"

"We've got twins! This one is stuck too!"

"Oh, for the love of..."

"Cassim, just help me!"

Cassim helped her to her feet and moved a little ways away from the cot. Carina got into position and waited.

"Okay. Ready. One,... two,... three,... push!"

Carina pushed as hard as she could and screamed. She did it ten times! She let her head fall back on Cassim's shoulder.

She was crying from the pain.

"It isn't working."

"Carina, keep trying!"

Carina tried again. When she stopped she was sobbing aloud.

"Oh, Lord, help me." she said between sobs.

"Focus, Carina! Come on! Push!"

Carina pushed with all her might. She screamed so loud Cassim's ears were ringing about as loud as a church bell!

Cassim was shocked and amazed. Carina had been pushing for two minutes straight!

Finally she let her head fall back on his shoulder.

"It's crowning. Hurry."

Cassim quickly put Carina back on the cot.

"C'mon, honey. You can do it. Push!"

Carina gasped in pain as she pushed but couldn't hold back a scream of pain as she began to push the shoulders out.

Cassim caught the baby and cleared its throat.

"We've got another boy."

Cassim wrapped the boy in a blanket, picked up the girl, and handed them both to their mother.

"They have your eyes." he purred in her ear.

"They have your hair."

It was true. Both babies already had a thick head of hair.

"What should we call them?"

"How about Aden for the boy, and Isabel for the girl?"

"Alright. Aden and Isabel."

Carina put Isabel in Cassim's arms. He looked down at the infant.

His head spun at the fact that this beautiful baby girl was *his* daughter!

"She's beautiful, like her mother." he cooed to Carina.

"Aden is the image of his father. In fact, he'll look more like you than Aladdin does."

Cassim looked at Aden. It was clear that baby would grow to look more like his father than brother.

Cassim and Carina went back to the palace and were greeted warmly and happily by the gang.

Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie, and the sultan all took turns holding the twins.

Cassim wouldn't have his life any other way.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

About two years later Carina announced that she was pregnant once again. She and Cassim went to the layer to avoid anymore attempts on Carina's life.

Nine months later she began to go into labor. Cassim put her on the cot and helped her stay as comfortable as possible durning the contractions.

Hours later the baby started to move down.

Both Cassim and Carina prayed it wouldn't get stuck. Yet, it did! Carina realized something as she and Cassim were moving a little ways away from the cot.

"Cassim."

"What?"

"This baby is larger than any other baby of ours."

He looked at her.

"I don't think that's a good thing, is it?"

"No."

Carina got in position and waited.

"Okay. Ready. One,... two,... three,... push!"

Carina pushed with all her might and screamed louder than ever before!

This time the strategy didn't work!

"Cassim, put me back on the cot."

Cassim did as he was told.

"Don't stay at the foot of the cot. I need you to go behind me."

Cassim moved around behind her.

"What do you want me to do?"

"The only way this baby is going to get out is if we work together."

"Okay, you lost me there."

Carina put both his hands on the lower part of his stomach.

"Gently press down with the tips of your fingers."

Cassim obeyed and could feel the baby.

"I still don't know what you want me to do."

"When I push I want you to push just up above the baby, pushing towards it. Hopefully it'll work."

"Are you sure?"

"Cassim, I don't think there's any other way."

"Okay. Whenever you're ready."

Carina began pushing and screamed.

Only the fact of that this could be the only way to get the baby out kept Cassim from stopping and covering his ears!

When Carina stopped Cassim did too.

All of the sudden Carina jerked forward, towards her legs, with a scream!

He gently pulled her back. She began sobbing and screamed again.

There were only a couple moments, if even, between her screams!

Cassim very gently pressed his finger tips on the lower part of her stomach. He suddenly felt the baby kick, quite hard, and at the same time Carina screamed again!

The baby was somehow kicking while still in the birth canal!

Cassim sat back.

"Carina, listen to me! You've got to push!"

"I can't!" she screamed, for the baby had kicked again.

"Yes you can! It's the only way! The baby won't stop! You've got to get it out, now push!"

Carina pushed as hard as she could. She screamed from the pain of her pushing and the pain of the baby kicking!

"Cassim, help me! I need help!" she shrieked.

Casim quickly began doing what she had told him to do earlier.

"Come on! You can do it, Carina!"

"Stop!"

Cassim quickly stopped, putting his hands over his ears.

"I can't push anymore!" she screamed, her screame mixed with the pain of the baby kicking.

"You have to!"

"I can't do it!"

"Carina, come on! You have to! If you don't get this baby out who knows what will happen!"

"I can't push!"

"Yes you can!"

"No! I literally *can't* push!"

"What?"

"I can't push!"

"Then use your hands like you had me do!"

Carina pushed on her stomach, just above the baby, pushing towards it. She screamed as the baby kicked and as it moved farther down the birth canal.

Cassim went to the foot of the cot.

"Come on! It's crowning!"

Carina continued to scream as she pushed.

"The head's out. Take a moment to rest."

Carina let her head fall back. She was crying and sweating.

The baby wasn't kicking anymore.

"Cassim, I can't push it out any farther with my hands, and I still can't push. You have to pull it out."

"I have to what?!"

Cassim nearly jumped off the ground as he spoke!

"You have to pull it out."

"Are you crazy?!"

"Just do it!"

Cassim very carefully took hold of the baby's head, so he wouldn't hurt it as he pulled, and looked at Carina.

She nodded, and he began to slowly pull the baby out.

Carina screamed so loud as the shoulders came out Cassim thought for sure he was going to go partly deaf!

Finally the baby was out.

Carina was breathing heavily and sweating profoundly. She was bleeding a lot more than she should have been!

"Carina."

"What?"

"The baby's gone."

"What do you..."

Carina didn't even need to finish her question. She knew what he meant. It had been a miscarrige! The baby was dead!

"No." she said weakly.

Cassim was now beside her, gently stroking the top of her head.

"Shhh. It's okay. Aden and Isabel are waiting at home."

"Tell them I love them."

Cassim didn't even need to ask her what was wrong or what she meant! Instantly he knew! She had lost so much blood she was dying!

He gripped her hand.

"No. Carina, no. Please."

"Tell Aden, Isabel, Aladdin, Jasmine, and Ali I love them."

"Carina, please. Please no."

"I love you, Cassim."

Tears filled his dark brown eyes.

"I love you too, Carina. Please don't leave me. Please. How am I suppose to tell the others? How am I suppose to tell Aden and Isabel that they won't see their mother again? How am I suppose to raise the twins myself?"

"I know you can do it."

"Please, Carina, don't leave me. Not now. Please. Don't leave me."

"Cassim, this isn't good-bye. It's only good-night. We'll be together again when God calls you home."

"Carina, please don't leave me."

"Good-night, my love."

Carina's eyes closed, her breathing stopped, her head fell to the side, and her heart stopped beating.

"Carina!" Cassim shrieked.

He broke down in a flood of tears. He got up and threw himself against the wall! He slammed both his fists against it. He sank to the floor, pulled his knees, close to his chest, floded his arms over his knees, buried his face in his arms, and sobbed his heart out.

He cried for hours! He cried until he had no tears left to cry!

He went back over to the cot and took Carina's cold, dainty hand in his own warm, large hand.

"Oh, Carina. I never had the courage to tell you this. I don't know if you can hear me up in Heaven. If you do I just want you to know that while I was the King of Thieves I broke my vow to remain faithful to you. I still haven't forgiven myself. I hope you'll forgive me."

Suddenly there was a blinding flash of light! When it was gone Cassim noticed that Carina's hand was warm!

"Carina?"

Her eyes fluttered open.

"Carina!"

She sat up, and he embraced her. They went back to the palace and were standing on the balcony of their bed chambers.

"What did you mean you broke you vow?"

"You heard me?"

"Yes I heard you. What did you mean?"

Cassim told what he had done. Carina became furious!

"Out of my sight you,... you... get out!"

Cassim ran out of the room, frightened by Carina for the first time in his life!

Carina refused to even look at him for the rest of the day!

He went out into the menagerie, sat down, pulled his knees close to his chest, folded his arms over his knees, and buried his face in his arms.

The gang watched a little ways away.

"We have to Mom and Dad back together."

"How?"

"Why don't we just do what we did to you and Al back together?"

"It worked for us. Their true love is stronger than ours, so it should work for them."

(song begins)

IAGO:
Forget about that guy
Forget about the way you fell into his eyes
Forget about his charms
Forget about the way he held you in his arms
Walking on air's obnoxious
The thrill
The chill
Will make you nauseous
And you'll never get enough
Just forget about love

Forget about romance
Forget about the way your heart begins to dance
Then you feel the blush
When he's spouting out some sentimental mush
Love really is revolting
It's even worse than when you're molting
Enough of this fluff
Just forget about love

CARINA:
I had almost forgotten the way it felt
When he held out his hand for mine
My heart all a-flutter

IAGO:
Oh, how I shudder

CARINA:
The first time we kissed

IAGO:
It won't be missed
Forget about 'is touch

CARINA:
I can't forget about his touch

IAGO:
In the scheme of things,
It doesn't matter much

CARINA:
It matters so much

IAGO:
You're better on your own
A meal becomes a banquet
When you eat alone

CARINA:
Hmm-mm-mm-mm

BOTH:
Love's filled with compromises

IAGO:
And don't you hate those big surprises?

CARINA:
A cozy rendezvous

IAGO:
Oh, please!

CARINA:
Candlelight for two

IAGO:
Oh, geez!

CARINA:
Look, you're calling my bluff, I can't

IAGO:
Just

BOTH:
Forget about love!

CARINA:
I can't forget about my heart

CASSIM:
I can't forget about my heart

CARINA:
And how it felt to fall for you right from the start

CASSIM:
I'm still falling

CARINA:
Whatever we may do

CASSIM:
Whatever we may do

CARINA:
You are here for me, and I'll be there for you

CASSIM:
I'll be there

BOTH:
To wish, to want, to wander
To find the sun through rain and thunder

CASSIM:
A cozy rendezvous

CARINA:
Yes, please!

CASSIM:
Candlelight for two

IAGO:
Oh, geez!
Enough is enough!

CASSIM and CARINA:
We can't forget about love!

(song ends)

"It worked! Nice going, Iago."

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

About a year later Carina announced that she was once more pregnant. She and Cassim went back to the layer.

When she went into labor months later both were terrified the baby would get stuck, but this one didn't!

Yet, this was also a miscarriage!

They went back to the palace. That night as they lay in bed, before Cassim blew out the candle, Carina spoke.

"Cassim."

"Yeah?"

"Could we try to have more children?"

Cassim looked at her.

"We have Aladdin, Isabel, and Aden."

"I know."

"The last two times were miscarriages."

"That doesn't mean the next one will be."

"I don't know."

"Please, Cassim."

Cassim sighed.

"Alright. If it's what you want."

"It is."

"I want you to be happy."

The next thing he knew Carina was on top of him!

"Whoa! Did you have a burst of energy or something?!"

Carina giggled and kissed him. After she pulled back he blew out the candle.

Carina slid off him and cuddled up against him.

"Tomorrow night will our night."

"You sure you want to so soon?"

"I'm positive."

"Okay."

As Carina had said the next night was their night.

Carina awoke just as the grayness of dawn was filling the sky. She smiled at the thought of the pervious night.

She looked at Cassim. Part of his hair had fallen in front of his face. She gently brushed it back into place and lightly kissed him.

He didn't even stir. He was dead to the world.

Carina cuddled closer to him and fell back asleep.

Cassim awoke a few hours later. The first thing he was aware of was the fact that he was sore and physically exhausted. His legs and shoulders hurt the most.

When he looked at Carina, asleep in his arms, he remembered why.

Never before had she demanded so much from him! The whole time she had been constantly rubbing his shoulders, eventually making them sore from all her rubbing.

Yet he still smiled at the thought of the previous night.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

About a month later while they were getting dressed, in their huge closests, Carina suddenly felt something. She stood still for a moment. She felt it again. A huge grin broke out on her face and she rushed out of her closet with only one shoe on.

"Cassim!"

Cassim came out of his closet, pulling on his cream jacket with the gold trim.

"What?"

Carina grabbed his hand and placed it on her stomach. He felt something after a moment and looked at her.

"I'm pregnant. The baby's moving."

Cassim hugged her. They hurried downstairs and told the gang.

They once again went to the layer. Nine months later Carina began to go into labor.

This would be the most painful and most difficult birth yet!

Cassim would not let her give up just because of the pain. He made her keep pushing.

Finally the baby was out.

"We've got another girl."

Cassim cleared the baby's throat, wrapped her in a blanket, and handed her to her mother.

He sat down beside Carina and saw that tears of pain were still trickling down her face. He gently wiped them away and put his arms around her.

"Carina."

"Yes?"

"I will never make you go through that again."

"You mean..."

"This is our last child."

"Cassim,..."

"It's too risky. Besides, we already have more than we can handle with Aden and Isabel. Now that has been added to by the taking care of a baby."

"But,..."

"No. If we have another child the pain will literally be unbearable for you. Each time we've had a child after the curse it broke my heart hearing your screams and sobs. I don't want you to go through anything worse than what you did today."

Carina didn't say anything.

"Carina, it's not that I don't want to have more children, because I do, but it's just too risky for you. My heart was shredded istening to your screams and sobs today. I don't want you to go through anything worse than that."

Carina buried her face in his shoulder and cried. Cassim held her to him, gently stroking her hair with one hand.

After a while she calmed down.

"What should we call her?"

"How about Cari? After her mother, who was willing to risk another miscarriage and endured great pain to bring her into the world."

Carina blushed lightly.

"Okay."

She put Cari in Cassim's arms. Then she took hold of the collar of his cape, pulled him closer, and kissed him.

Back to index


Chapter 5: Reluctant Goal Failed and a Weakness Shows

When Cari was about a year and half years old Carina began to feel sick in the morning.

Worried, Cassim had the royal physician run some tests to see if he could figure out what was causing this.

When he handed Cassim the clipboard with the results Cassim wasn't really sure if he wanted to read it.

When he got to a certain part the clipboard fell to floor. Cassim was next, collapsing in a senseless heap on the floor!

Carina knelt down beside him.

Cassim opened his eyes and stood up. He looked at Carina with a questioning look on his face and eyes, as if he wasn't sure if he had read the results correctly.

To confirm that he had read them correctly Carina took Cassim's hand and placed in on her stomach. He looked at her when he felt something.

She smiled happily at him, but Cassim didn't smile back. Instead he pulled away and ran into their bed chambers!

Carina went after him.

He stood on the blacony.

"Cassim, are you alright?"

"No. No, I'm not."

Carina put her hand on his arm.

"Cassim, look at me please."

Cassim refused to look at her.

"Look at me please."

He still didn't look at her.

"Cassim Ben-Hassan, look at me!"

Cassim's head whipped around.

Carina saw tears in his eyes and trickling down his face!

"Cassim, why are you crying? You should be happy."

"Carina, the pain will be literally unbearable for you."

"I know that, but you'll be there to make me keep pushing until it's done."

Cassim didn't say anything. He lowered his gaze and gripped the railing until his knuckles turned white!

"Cassim?"

"I'm sorry." he said in a choked voice.

"It's okay."

Carina put his arm around his shoulders. Cassim pulled away!

He walked over to one of the pillars, rested the upper part of his left arm on it, and lightly rested his forehead on his arm.

"Cassim, what's wrong? I'll make it through because you won't let me give up."

"That's just it, Carina."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't listen to your screams and sobs again. I just can't. It hurts me too much to see you in such pain and hear you scream and sob like that."

"What are you saying?"

Cassim didn't answer.

"Cassim, what are you saying?"

Cassim suddenly broke down! He sank to his knees, crying aloud.

Carina went over to him, knelt down beside, and put her arms around him.

He calmed down after a few minutes.

"Cassim, what were you trying to say?"

Cassim stood up and went back to the railing.

"Carina, I can't do it."

"Do what?"

"I can't..."

Cassim paused and sighed.

"I can't stay with you this time."

"Cassim,..."

"I'm sorry, but I just can't do it! My strength only goes so far, and this is beyond it!"

"Cassim, I need you."

"I can't."

"Cassim,..."

Cassim whirled around and grabbed Carina's arms, sort of pinning them to her sides!

"I can't do it! Don't you get it, Carina?! I just can't do it! Get it through your head!"

"Cassim, let go of me! Let go! Cassim, you're hurting me!"

Cassim instantly released her. He slowly backed up then turned and ran.

"Cassim! Cassim, wait! Cassim!"

Cassim ran out into the menagerie, dropped down beside the fountain, and cried.

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Months later when Carina went into labor Cassim went to Aladdin's hovel.

Many hours later Iago came and told him that Carina was waiting for him.

He hurried back to palace and went into the bed chambers he shared with Carina.

He stopped at what he saw.

Carina was the couch, alone, and crying!

"Carina."

Carina looked at him.

Cassim went over to her and sat down beside her.

"What's wrong, love?"

"The baby got stuck. The royal physician tried everything he knew. The last one finally worked. By the time the baby was out it was too late."

"Too late?"

"The baby was dead. It had been in the birth canal too long."

Cassim buried his face in his hands.

"What have I done?"

"Cassim, it's not your fault."

Cassim lifted his head.

"Yes it is. It's all my fault."

He looked at her, tears trickling down his face.

"If I had let my heart take over instead of my fear I would have stayed with you. I would have had you use the stratgey like always whenever the baby got stuck. If I had done that the baby would still be alive."

He turned his head away, unable to look into her eyes any longer.

Carina turned his head towards her so she could look at him.

"We lost a son for a reason that only God knows."

Cassim's eyes widened a little.

Then Carina burst into tears. Cassim pulled her to him and kept his arms around her. She buried her face in shoulder and continued to cry.

"I'm sorry. Honey, I'm so sorry." he whispered to her, his voice choked by his own tears.

He kissed the top of her head and stroked her hair with one hand.

"I should have been here for you. If I hadn't given into my fears this probably wouldn't have happened."

"It's too late, now. You can't change what has happened." Carina said, her voice choked by her tears and muffled by Cassim's shoulder.

"I know."

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=868