The World at Your Feet by DesertFlower



Summary: Sequel to Just the Beginning.
Jena is a young, wealthy heiress living in southern California. Scott (though all his friends call him Al) also lives in California, and although he isn't wealthy, him and Jena meet. The two of them fall in love, face hardships but stay together through it all. Then Jena and Scott discover something that involves both their pasts that they must do in order for them to be together. What does the future hold for this young couple? Is their love strong enough to face the pressures that await them? Only time will tell...
Rating: G starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Aladdin, Jasmine, Original Characters, Other
Genres: General, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 04/10/08
Updated: 07/01/08


Index

Chapter 1: A Whole New Life
Chapter 2: First Meeting
Chapter 3: Love Spell
Chapter 4: New Beginnings


Chapter 1: A Whole New Life

Author's Notes: Hey! I hope the summary wasn't too confusing! Basically, this is my take on what Aladdin and Jasmine would be like as a modern day couple. But, there is twists. Aladdin and Jasmine are also in the story, but aren't in the whole thing. Read and enjoy, and if you have questions or comments, feel free to contact me! Thanks!


Jasmine stirred as she inhaled the fresh scent of dawn. She turned over on her back without opening her eyes. Soon though, she opened her eyes and looked outside and saw the sun wasn’t fully up yet, revealing a gorgeous sunrise, which she knew gave Agrabah a beautiful morning glow. Jasmine then turned to see Aladdin still sleeping, and she smiled to herself as she lightly brushed the black hair away from his face, with him never stirring at the gentle touch.

Almost thinking against it, she looked at the doors of Amiri’s and Suri’s rooms. Jasmine loved seeing the smiling faces of her children every morning, Amiri and Suri now being six and three, with them bursting into her and Aladdin’s room and jumping on the bed full of energy many mornings, but, she also enjoyed the quietness and peace early in the mornings. It was quiet still, and Jasmine assumed Amiri and Suri were still asleep, but it wouldn’t be long before they were up and bouncing around. She contemplated going and checking in on them, but didn’t want to disturb them, knowing they needed their sleep, so instead, Jasmine snuggled as close to Aladdin as she could get without waking him.

Aladdin awoke a few minutes later, and he felt Jasmine against him. Before opening his eyes, he smiled, and by listening to her breathing, he could tell that she had been awake for while now. He then opened his eyes and looked down at Jasmine, who had her eyes closed, and he said,

“Good morning.”

Jasmine opened her eyes and looked up at Aladdin,

“Good morning.” She whispered.

“I take it Amiri and Suri are still sleeping?” Aladdin said, and Jasmine nodded. She smiled as she closed her eyes again and leaned her head on his shoulder, placing her hand on his other shoulder, he lying his hand gently on her delicate wrist. Aladdin then closed his eyes again also, loving the time he got with Jasmine during mornings like these, the two of them usually being awaken by the laughter of their children. Though they didn’t fall back asleep, Jasmine and Aladdin laid together for a little while, but then they heard a door open. Jasmine turned to see Suri, rubbing her eyes as she walked into the room. Jasmine smiled and sat up, as did Aladdin,

“Good morning.” She said as she helped Suri climb up onto the bed and onto her lap, facing her.

“Good morning, mama.” Suri said.

“Did you sleep well?” Jasmine asked.

“Yes.”

“Did you have sweet dreams?” She asked, and Suri nodded. “What did you dream about?”

At that, Suri smiled and said, “It won’t come true if I tell.”

Jasmine then laughed out loud as she held her precious princess against her, and she said,

“Alright, darling. We’ll see if they come true, hmm?”

Suri nodded, and Jasmine placed a kiss on her head. Resting her cheek against Suri’s head, Jasmine thought of how much she loved being a mother. She knew that in some cultures, royal children were not even raised by their parents and they rarely saw them. And the parents didn’t show their children, even as babies any tenderness. They did not cuddle them close or play with them or give them soothing words, all to not make them weak, so that they could be strong rulers. Jasmine would rather die than have her children raised this way. Her and Aladdin loved their children, and they raised Suri and Amiri the very opposite of those other cultures. Amiri and Suri were both so sweet and well-behaved, and because Suri was still little, she liked being held and could get clingy towards Aladdin and Jasmine if there was strangers at the palace, and she was always going to her father for protection. Amiri, the Prince of Agrabah, knew that he was going to be Sultan someday, but he never showed any disrespect to anyone, and though he was a serious boy much of the time, he and Suri played games together often.

“Good morning, papa.” Suri said. Aladdin smiled and stroked her cheek and said,

“Good morning.”

Suri then looked up at Jasmine and asked,

“Amiri’s still sleeping?”

“Yes, Amiri’s still sleeping, but we shouldn’t wake him up, alright?”

Suri nodded, and settled once again against Jasmine’s chest. After a while, Amiri woke up and the four of them went down to breakfast.

Later that evening, after dinner, Amiri and Suri fell asleep while listening to Aladdin tell them a story, which they asked for almost nightly. Suri fell asleep fairly quickly, but Amiri on the other hand was fascinated with the story and stayed awake for as long as he could, but it was a long story and Amiri too fell asleep when he could stay awake no longer. Aladdin and Jasmine then carried the children to their rooms, and when they were sure that they were soundly sleeping in their beds, they put four guards outside their bedroom and left the palace, but they didn’t go far.

Jasmine leaned against the wall with Aladdin standing a few feet away with his foot propped up on the ledge. The two of them were at his old hovel, to which they still would come at night to be alone, but they never stayed the whole night, as they once had. Jasmine watched Aladdin as he looked out at his kingdom, so grateful and proud of the man he had become, the man that he was born to be and that had lied within him his whole life, without him even realizing it. Aladdin was a great and powerful Sultan of the seven deserts, having the potential and ability to do great things for Agrabah, things that never seemed possible for the city he’d lived in his whole life. Aladdin was also as loving and attentive husband as ever, Jasmine being so happy, their marriage as strong as it ever was. And together they raised a wonderful family, their two beautiful children, Amiri and Suri, the Prince and Princess of Agrabah, whom they loved and would do anything to protect. Jasmine couldn’t be happier with her life, and she couldn’t imagine having it other than how it was now. But, that thought caused her to turn to her husband and say,

“Aladdin?”

“Yes, Jasmine?”

She hesitated, feeling silly, but she asked anyway,

“Have you ever thought about reincarnation?”

This brought a quizzical look to Aladdin’s face,

“Reincarnation?” He said, and then he walked over and sat next to Jasmine, and she said,

“Yes, you know, a next life, if you’ll have one or not, and what it will be like.”

“Well, I’m still young and healthy, and so are you Jasmine. I hope that neither one of us has to think about something like that for many years yet.”

“I hope for that too Aladdin, but still, have you?”

“Not seriously, no. What brought this on anyway?” He asked.

“I had a dream about my next life a few nights ago. I can barely remember it, even right after I had woken up that morning, I still couldn’t remember anything about it.”

“It wasn’t a bad dream, was it?”

“No, it think it was a good one. I’m not saying that I know who or what I’m going to come back as, or if I’m going to come back as anything or anyone. I don’t even know if there is such thing as reincarnation. But, if I do live a next life Aladdin, it would be a meaningless life if I wasn’t with you. I want to be with you forever.”

Aladdin then took his hands and put them on her upper arms, gripping them gently but firmly and he said,

“We will be together, Jasmine, always. Like you told me once: Fate brought us together, and fate is going to keep us together.”

“Yes,” Jasmine said, looking into Aladdin’s dark brown eyes and him looking into hers, “We will be together.”

Her voice barely above a whisper, Jasmine repeated Aladdin’s words with complete confidence. Aladdin’s hand then moved to her face, and they kissed each other hard on the lips. When the soulful and passionate kiss ended, Aladdin and Jasmine held each other, she leaning her head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Jasmine couldn’t imagine life without this man, her husband, and she hoped she never would. But, she felt that Fate would smile upon her and Aladdin, and that they would always be together, even if it went beyond this life, and into the next.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Jena smirked as she watched the man walk away. Though, to her he wasn’t even a man, just a boy, another silly boy who thought he could walk right up to her and hit on her. When he was completely out of sight, she rolled her eyes. This is what she had to deal with, and she was getting sick of it. Jena put the book she was holding back onto the shelf, trying to find a good read in the fiction section of the large bookstore she was at. She put a finger to her full, rose lips and browsed, only to stop when her cell phone rang. She went through her rather large leather shoulder bag and was happy to see that it was her father who was calling her,

“Hi, daddy.” She answered with a smile.

“Hi, sweetheart. How’s it going?”

“Oh, the usual. But, I would’ve been better if you would’ve called five minutes ago.”

“Why’s that?”

“Just another boy.”

“You know, Jena, I’m in no rush to see you married, but have you ever given a boy a chance?” He asked. Jena sighed,

“Dad, I haven’t met one yet that deserves a chance. Why are you so concerned about it anyway?”

“Because, I just want you to get to know more people. You’ve only been out there a week.”

“I know.” Jena said, her father once again noting that she was all the way out in California, while he was still in Texas. Jena’s father was President and CEO of a company that he founded even before she was born, making him a nine-figure millionaire. At only eighteen years old, she was born and raised in Houston, though she didn’t really have a southern accent. Her mother died when she was two, and her father raised her alone. But, Jena’s father had hopes for her, for when she turns 21, she is to take over the international company that her father built.

“And I know that I have a very beautiful daughter, and I’m going to have to get used to more boys.”

“I never said anything.” Jena said with a laugh. Though, she knew her father was right. Jena had dark brown eyes, olive skin, and thick, dark brown hair that at first glance looked black. Her hair was naturally wavy and was long, as it went just past the middle of her back. Though she was naturally beautiful, she liked wearing makeup, usually putting foundation on, liquid black eyeliner, always doing slight cat eyes, and a swipe of lip color. She was short, 5’4, and had lovely curves, wearing a slim size two.

“Alright, alright, I’ll stop asking about boys and we can change the subject.”

“Please.” Jena said.

“How’s the weather out there?”

“Hot, for September, but I’m used to it.”

Jena, this past summer had worked for her father at his company. It was somewhat of an internship, to help prepare her for her future role as head of the company. She would still be working there if she hadn’t moved out to southern California only a week ago to be in the Young Americans. Jena had always loved to dance and sing, having extreme talent in both, but she knew that she would also get to travel the world, something she’d never gotten to do. Though she was wealthy, her father traveled often but she almost always stayed behind in Texas, and had only been to California twice in her life, this being the first time she was truly on her own without her father.

Jena ended the conversation with her father on a high note and she went back to shopping, visiting all the high-end stores she was accustomed to. The phone call from her father had happened early in the day, and Jena thought she would enjoy shopping in the very large mall, the largest she’d ever been in, but while she shopped, she encountered many rude people. After the first couple people, Jena just thought it was just one of those days, but all day long there were many snobby and rude people and that’s when she realized that California was nothing like Texas, and the people here were nothing like those back home.

Later that evening, after the sun went down, Jena decided a long bath would help her unwind from the long day she had had. She undressed, took out her long braid and shook her hair free, letting it beautifully fall around her shoulders, but she twisted it into a bun and piled it on top her head. Jena lit a couple of candles and settled into the hot water. She leaned her head back and forced herself to relax, despite her long, first week away from home. Today had been the first time Jena had ever shopped in California, an experience she thought she would like, but it turned out to be just the opposite.

Jena lived in a beautiful, large house, but it wasn’t just any kind of house, it was a beach house. Jena had her own private section of the beach, and she had so many things to enjoy and had everything that she would ever need in California, or so it seemed: She knew no one, and so far, it didn’t look like she was going to make any friends anytime soon. Jena very much had wanted to come to California, it wasn’t even the singing that made her want to join the Young Americans, it was the so many opportunities she would get, the places she would get to see, and all the people she would meet, though the singing part made the idea even more appealing.

Jena had only been in California a week, and it had tested her. It was the first time she’d even done anything like this on her own. Before coming to California, she was excited and never had any second thoughts, but now she missed home, but most of all, she missed her father. Jena then choked back tears as she started to cry, attempting to dry the tearstained cheeks, but the effort doing little.

After soaking in the water for some time, Jena’s eyes began to dry, and she got out and dried her body, putting on a silk, pink robe that went down to her knees and had sleeves that went to her elbows. She took out her bun and let her hair hang once again. Jena walked through the house and went out to the deck that over looked the beach. The long deck was surrounded by glass, and Jena laid on a couch, bringing her legs close to her. It was dark outside, and the bright moon reflected off the ocean, and Jena watched as small waves stretched up the beach and then went back into the ocean. She couldn’t give up yet. Yes, she’d had a bad couple of days, but she wasn’t about to give in and run back to her home, for she would be achieving nothing. Jena would stay in California for a couple more months, and then if things were still not going how she had planned she would go back home to be with her father, but until then she would stay true to her desires and give this new place and new world a chance.

The next morning, Jena woke up when the sunlight hit her eyes. She shielded her eyes, realizing that she had fallen asleep on the deck. She turned over and laid there for only a few minutes, but then woke up and did her usual morning routine, where she cleansed and moisturized her face, brushed her teeth, ate a light breakfast, and then doing some yoga. Jena loved doing yoga because it kept her fit while letting her relax, her mind and body feeling at peace, which was something she welcomed nowadays. After she was done, Jena went out to the kitchen, where the time read ten o’ clock and the calendar read Sunday. Being a devout Catholic, Jena felt guilty for not being at church, but she had yet to find one in her area, in fact there was still a lot of things she had to do before things could get settled. Jena had to find doctors, a dentist, and a manicurist. She shook her head, and decided that a phone call to her father would make her feel better. Jena assumed he would still be home, she called.

“Hello?”

“Oh, hello John.” Jena said with slight disdain in her voice.

John was the only thing standing between her and her fathers company. As CFO, John was her fathers business partner, but he was ambitious and wanted to be head of the company after her father retired. John knew that Jena’s father wanted to hand the company over to her when she turned 21 though, and he always tried to convince him that she would be too young. Jena, as long as she had known him, had never liked John even though he was always respectful to her, but Jena knew it was an act. She knew that John knew that she was the rightful heiress to the company, but he wouldn’t that that stop him from trying to get to the top. Not wanting to deal with John right now, she told him to have her father call her.

Jena then walked to the living room and looked out the window, seeing the never-ending ocean. She had the world at her feet, but something was missing. Without even realizing it herself, Jena’s heart longed for something. And she didn’t know that very soon would be when she found that missing piece.

Back to index


Chapter 2: First Meeting

Author's Notes: Hey, here's chapter two! Sorry for the long wait! It's fairly long, so yeah. Please review! Thank you!


Jena sighed as she turned the t.v off. It was Monday evening, and she had found nothing good to watch. Jena didn’t watch t.v all that much, for all her life she loved to read and write. She pressed a button on the remote, and watched as the television lowered and finally disappeared into the entertainment center.

Only a little a while ago Jena had had a conversation with her father. It was the start of new week, and he again asked her if she had met anybody. Jena told her father she still hadn’t met anybody, but she didn’t voice that she wished he would stop asking every time they talked and let her be the one to tell him if she had made any friends. Jena wanted to make friends, she was a kind, outgoing person, and she wasn’t afraid to make her opinion heard. Though, all her life Jena had gone to private school where she was surrounded by children of other wealthy people, which was cause for her not to make many friends.

Jena’s father also brought up the subject of boys to her again. Though he would never say it-in fact he would say the opposite-Jena thought that he indeed wanted her married. Her father wanted her married for security reasons, so that she would have someone to care for her when he was gone, and so that she would have someone to run the company with. The only good thing that would come of Jena getting married was that it would totally and utterly prevent John from somehow getting the company. Jena thought about all these things, but she truly had no desire to get married anytime soon. She was only eighteen years old, she wasn’t even looking for a relationship now with so much going on in her life. But Jena did have to wonder deep in the back of her mind, was there someone out there for her?

The next day, it was late afternoon and there weren’t many people at the mall which made Scott feel a little out of place. His friends were supposed to meet him here almost an hour ago, but he still waited for them. Scott would watch the people go by where he was sitting outside a department store, and then he glanced inside the store and that’s when he spotted the most beautiful girl he’d ever seen. He stared at her as she casually looked at the racks of clothes. She had her long hair pulled back into a braid, and then an employee came up to her briefly and she smiled and nodded. The employee walked away, and the girl returned to her browsing, Scott wishing he could see her bright smile again, summing it up in one word:

“Wow.” He said as he rested his chin in his hand, thinking that nothing could turn his gaze away from this girl, but then he soon perked up as something got his attention.

Jena was thankful that there weren’t a lot of people in the mall, she knowing that it was because it was a Tuesday evening, which is why she came. She only had a couple of shopping bags on her arm, and she wasn’t finding nothing in this store, which was rather high-end, but she wasn’t really looking for anything. Jena then walked toward the entrance, but then looked over her shoulder which caused her to bump into someone.

“Oh, I’m sorry sir.” Jena said to the man as politely as she could, but he was still mad.

“Geez, watch where you’re going lady!”

Jena furrowed her eyebrows, but remained polite,

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.”

“Yeah, you didn’t-”

The man went on, and Jena was at a loss for words, but then she felt a gentle touch when a hand went under her elbow, and she looked up to see a handsome young man by her side.

“Please excuse her sir-us actually, we’re in a hurry,” He then looked down at her, “Come on, we were expected to that lunch date hours ago.”

In a flurry, Jena nodded and put her tote bag back onto her shoulder. The young man took her hand and let her out of the store, and the man grumbled and shook his head as he walked in the opposite direction. Jena was still holding the boys hand as they walked away from the store, but as she looked at him, she couldn’t get herself to let go-not that she wanted to though. He looked to be not much older than her, probably around eighteen or nineteen, he had dark brown hair that was a little longer, and also had perfect brown eyes. He was wearing jeans, a vintage tee from American Eagle and flip flops, and he had that golden brown California tan, which told her that he’d lived here his whole life. He had broad, wide shoulders, and Jena could clearly see that he was in shape as the muscles of his arms and shoulders shone through his tee shirt. Jena had never been shallow, but there was no denying how cute and handsome he was.

“Well,” The boy said as he stopped, and looked back into the store, “That takes care of that.”

“Thank you for what you did. Not many people would’ve done that.”

He just shrugged, “Eh, don’t worry about it. Besides, you were probably the most polite person in there, and you kind of looked like you needed a little help.”

Jena just looked at him, giving him a little smile,

“You’re polite too, though.”

Now it was his turn to laugh,

“Not many people are around here.”

Jena gave a nod, knowing from experience that he was right. She then looked at her watch and he asked,

“Do you have somewhere to be?”

“Well, not really, but I’m pretty busy in general right now so I shouldn’t spend all my time at the mall.”

“I understand.”

Jena then took out her phone and said out loud,

“I’ll just have someone pick me up.”

“I can take you home, if you want.”

Jena lowered the phone from her ear,

“You would do that?”

“Sure. I’m like you; I don’t really have anywhere to be either.”

Jena smiled,

“I’d like that, thank you.”

He smiled and gently took her by the wrist and then the hand. Jena didn’t flinch at all when he took her hand, because it was like something she barely noticed and something that was so powerful at the same time, like it was an extension of her. As they exited the mall, Jena told him where she lived and that it was only a short drive. He said his apartment was on the way to her house and asked if she didn’t mind if they stopped there for only a couple of minutes. Jena didn’t mind at all.

“This is your apartment?” Jena asked him about ten minutes later as they walked through the door of his apartment.

“Yep, but it’s just me, so it’s all the space I need.”

Jena looked around the modern apartment. It really was the perfect size; not too small, and not too big. Being here made her think that she wouldn’t mind living in a place like this at all, having lived in a large mansion her whole life. The heiresses thoughts were then interrupted when the boy asked,

“Do you want something to drink?”

“A water, please.” She said sweetly.

“Okay.” He said, and she followed him into the kitchen, and just as he turned around to face her, Jena tripped.

Scott looked down at her and gave a laugh as he caught her in his arms. Jena, however wasn’t laughing. Her eyes were wide and she clutched to him. She then straightened herself and stood, and both their eyes went wide as their faces were so close. His hands were on her waist as hers were on his shoulders, and they looked into each others eyes for only a second before Jena stepped back. Though, she didn’t notice his slight look of despair, as if he didn’t know why she was ripped away from him. He cleared his throat and said,

“Do you mind if I ask you something?”

“Of course not.”

“How come you didn’t drive yourself to mall? Were you driven by a friend?”

“Yeah, a friend,” Jena said with annoyance, and she said seriously, “I don’t have any friends.”

“Now,” He said as he came up behind her and gave a glass of ice water, in his other hand, a Pepsi for himself, “I find that hard to believe.”

Jena gave a little laugh as she looked down, but Scott never tore his gaze from her face, and she said,

“What I meant to say was that I don’t have any friends yet. I just moved to California a week and a half ago.”

“Really? Where are you from?”

“Houston. That’s why I was driven, I haven’t been to California in years. I don’t know my way around, I don’t know anyone yet. That’s why I don’t have any friends.”

“I can kind of relate, I just moved here three months ago.”

“Where are you from?”

“San Francisco.”

“Oh, that’s not the same. I’m from so far away, everything is so different from home. Everything. The people are extremely rude, my father is still back home, so I am here all on my own.”

“You and your father are close?”

“Very.” Jena said, looking into his eyes, while fingering the cross pendant that rested on the nape of her neck.

“I wish I could say the same.”

“You don’t get along with your father?”

“It’s not that we don’t get along-we do-but I never see him. He’s all over the place. That’s where I get my love of traveling, my love of being outdoors. But, I’m not as extreme as he is.”

Jena lowered her eyes. She was now seated on the couch, with the boy standing against the bar in the kitchen a few feet away. She didn’t want to tell him who her father was, she didn’t want to tell him she was wealthy. Jena could be herself around him, she could be like him, and she loved it. Both of them were revealing personal, intimate things about each other, and they were both so vulnerable. Jena felt that telling him who she was would ruin this connection. He then walked out of the kitchen and sat next to her, and he said in a low, quiet voice,

“You must miss your home, and your family.”

“My father is the only family I have.”

“Do you miss him?”

“Yes.”

“It’ll get better.”

Jena then looked down and gave a quiet laugh, but then brought her face up and looked into his eyes again.

“Thank you.”

Both of them smiled, and with their faces being just inches apart. Jena and Scott both leaned in slowly for a kiss. Jena eyes were closed with her lips slightly parted when her phone rang. They both jumped to a start and Jena went to her bag and retrieved her phone, and saw that it was her driver, James. She answered and found out that he was very close and would pick her up. She looked at the boy and then told James his address, and he said he would be there momentarily. Jena then stood and went to the door, and the boy followed suit. She then looked at him and said,

“Thank you for the offer to take me home, and all that you’ve done for me today.”

“It was my pleasure.”

Jena wasn’t sure if he would, but she hoped he wouldn’t offer to walk her outside. She didn’t want him to see the day limo that was waiting outside for her with the very recognizable logo of her fathers company on the rear bumper. Just then, Jena realized something: She didn’t even know his name.

“I’m Jena.” She said as she held out her hand for him to take.

“I’m Scott.” He took her hand in his. She had long, slender fingers, with long, perfect nails, but yet, her hands were so tiny compared to his.

“Scott.” She repeated.

“Yeah, but most of my friends call me Al.”

Jena almost laughed,

“Al? How do you get that out of Scott?”

“My middle name is Alan.”

“Oh,” Jena said, and she looked up at him, “You don’t like being called Scott?”

“Either one is fine with me.”

“My middle name is Lilith.”

“It’s beautiful.”

Jena smiled, and then went to the door, but Scott said,

“Here, let me get that for you.”

He then opened the door for her and leaned against it as Jena stood in the doorway. They looked at each other and she said,

“Bye, Scott.”

“Bye, Jena.” He said, and then she smiled and left. He shut the door slowly as he watched her walk away. Scott ran a hand through his hair as he leaned against the door. Jena had just left, but he already felt like he needed to be near her again, this amazing, beautiful young woman who he met by chance. Or was it chance? Scott felt that he was meant to “rescue” her. Scott had also never felt this way about any other girl-or had he? Scott couldn’t explain this familiar, wonderful feeling. Scott was certain that this was a sign that him and Jena were meant to meet. Without even thinking Scott opened the door and ran down the hallway, not even bothering to close the door behind him. He ran out to the parking lot just as a black, shiny car was pulling away. He squinted to see through the dark, tinted windows, but he was sure that it was Jena. Scott then noticed on the bumper the logo of a famous company, and was confused. Why would a car from that company pick Jena up? Did she know someone that worked at the company?

Scott went back into his apartment and sat on the couch. He then thought of Jena and her appearance. She had only a couple shopping bags, but they were from expensive stores, and she was carrying a white, leather bag with silver Ds all over it, another logo that he’d seen a lot of, especially on people walking into high end boutiques like Armani and Gucci. Though she in no way acted like these people, Jena did look like these people. Scott then wondered, was she wealthy? He didn’t know for sure, but he hoped he would see her again soon.

Later that evening as the sun was setting, all Jena could think about was Scott. She couldn’t believe how safe she felt with him, despite having just met him. It puzzled Jena, though in a good way. She sat on the couch on the deck, looking down at the beach, with her arms wrapped around the leg that was brought up to her, the other under her. She stared down at the water as she thought. Jena felt like she’d known Scott for longer than a day, for she’d never felt this way in her life. She didn’t know that she could feel this way, let alone this soon. And they almost kissed! That was the power of his effect on her. That was the power of their effect on each other. Did That mean she was in love? No, I can’t be in love was what Jena wanted to think, but she couldn’t make her mind think like that. Her father constantly asking about boys had almost made Jena not want to be in a relationship-at all. Jena almost laughed then, at telling her father about Scott. If he called, Jena decided that it was best not to tell her father about him just yet, not until they were all ready for something like that: Jena being ready to tell Scott who she was and who her father was, her father being ready to finally hear the news that his daughter had found someone, and Scott being ready finding out about Jena’s past and meeting her father. When all this would happen Jena wasn’t sure. She wasn’t even sure if it would happen, but Jena did secretly hope and pray that it did.

The next afternoon, Jena was in yet another new environment, for it was the first day of the Young Americans. Jena had had a pretty good day, and she was very happy to find a group of friends. Almost immediately Jena was accepted into a group of five girls that had already known each other. Cecilia was the unofficial leader of the group. She had shoulder length blonde, voluminous wavy hair. Cecilia also had kind, blue eyes, and she was nice to everyone. Isabelle another one in the group. She had light brown hair that was also shoulder length, and she had hazel-brownish eyes to match. Sophie had beautiful, fair skin, but had dark hair that went an inch or two past her ears. Aurelia had long, thick blonde hair, and she had blue, almost violet eyes. Arella probably was the most unique out of these girls, for she had thick, wavy hair that was as red as any of these fair skinned girls got when they blushed, which was very bright indeed. Jena got along well with these girls, and they were all so kind to her, being accepted into their circle almost immediately. They were all nice girls, and all beautiful in their own right. Jena looked forward to letting her friendship with them deepen, but she also felt a little strange when she was with them, but felt she had a lot in common with them at the same time. All five came from wealthy families, and in general, Jena got along with them well enough. But, Cecilia, Isabelle, Sophie, Aurelia, and Arella were all shallow, Isabelle being the least shallow of all of them. All five of them had long-term boyfriends, and when Cecilia asked Jena if she had a boyfriend, that’s when she froze. Jena told them she didn’t, the excuse being that she’d just moved here, which at least was the truth. Another reason Jena felt she stood out was her appearance. She had almost the longest hair out of all of them, Arella’s red tresses being almost as long as hers, and all five had the fairest and lightest skin, which Jena assumed was natural. Jena had naturally dark skin, but she knew she had beautiful skin, so she tried not to be too self-conscious when around these fair skinned beauties.

Jena sighed with relief, for she was able to get away to go to the ladies room. Before entering, she caught a glimpse out of the corner of her eye a handsome young man, tall and lean, with brown hair. While still not looking directly at him, Jena furrowed her eyebrows and thought hard, and then she gasped. It was Scott! She turned her body and looked at him from down the hallway, and her face was alit.

“Scott!” She called. He turned and looked at her, and he too realized who she was. He smiled,

“Jena.” She heard him say in a way that she loved. She smiled big in response, and they started to walk quickly toward each other, but not quick enough, for Jena felt a hand on her back, and turned to see Aurelia,

“Jena, come with me to the bathroom; You must teach me how you do that with your eyeliner, it looks gorgeous on you.”

All Jena could do was smile, and then the other four were suddenly with them. Jena turned back to Scott, only to see that he was too being swept away by his friends, also being in torment for not being able to go to her. But Scott only had three friends, while she was being dragged into the women’s bathroom by five girls. Jena and Scott took one last look at each other, and then they were both whisked away, out of view from each other.

At around five, after everyone had gone, Jena searched everywhere for Scott. She had a feeling that he would for some reason still be there, but unfortunately she was wrong, for she couldn’t find him anywhere. After giving up, Jena went home to an empty house, where silence echoed in every room, where she wandered, looked out the windows, and thought of Scott.

Little did Jena know though, that Scott was also thinking about her. Scott looked out the window, for the sun had just taken it’s nightly place behind the horizon. He thought about seeing Jena again today, how she was so different from the first time he saw her. It was apparent that Jena had made some friends, being surrounded by a bunch of girls. They were all pretty, but to Scott, Jena was the most beautiful out of them. The other girls almost all looked the same, but Jena had this beauty, this exotic beauty that no other girl could hold a candle to. Scott was grateful to at least to have gotten to see her again, but he wished he could’ve gotten to talk to her, which didn’t happen because of both groups of friends. But, it didn’t matter, he at least knew that she was in the Young Americans, and there was no doubt that they would see each other again.




Back to index


Chapter 3: Love Spell

Author's Notes: Hey, here's chapter three! It's longer than the first two, so I hope you enjoy it! Please review! Thanks!


For the next few days, Jena took every opportunity she got to look for Scott, but she still never saw him. She wasn’t even certain if he was looking for her. Maybe Jena was hoping for too much, but she did want to see him again. On Wednesday, it marked a week since Jena had last seen Scott. Though, the search for him would prove difficult seeing how the Young Americans were now in Paris.

Scott was standing the airport, waiting for his luggage. Though the terminal was extremely busy, he didn’t mind the crowds. After a while of waiting, with his things still not coming, Scott started to get impatient and antsy, which did tend to happen easily for him. Scott then glanced around, and in the midst’s of the people, he spotted Jena. With a small smile on his face, he watched her as she looked around as if she was lost or looking for someone or something. After a few seconds, he went up to her, but she was so frantic she didn’t notice him until he said her name and touched her arm.

Jena, at his touch and the comforting sound of his voice, turned around and looked up at Scott and gasped,

“Scott! It’s you!”

“Yes, it’s me, but do you need help with something?”

“I need help with a lot of things: I’ve never been to Paris, and my ride didn’t show up where it was supposed to, I don’t know when I’ll get my luggage, and-”

Scott then cut her off by taking the tiny hand that was flying rapidly through the air and stilling it,

“Jena, calm down and let me help.”

Jena then took a deep breath and relaxed at Scott’s command, and she returned the firm grip on her hand,

“Thank you, but it’s so complicated,” Jena explained, and it was. How was Scott supposed to understand if she told him that she was flown to Paris in one her father’s private jets, and the ride that was supposed to pick her up was her day limo? “I just need to make a few phone calls.” Jena said a nod, partially as an excuse and partially as the truth.

“Well, I’ll stay with you until you get things straightened out.”

“Thank you, Scott.”

She then released his hand, and the two of them found a seat close to where Scott’s bags would be brought, and they sat close together. Though, Jena was thankful at how loud it was in the terminal, and that Scott was slightly distracted as she made calls and got her situation straightened out. A few minutes, Jena closed her phone and sighed,

“Is everything taken care of now?” Scott asked as he turned to face her.

“My ride will be here very shortly.”

“Good.”

“Thank you for your help. This is my first time in Paris and this airport is huge.”

“Hey, I’m glad to help,” Scott said with a smile, though it got bigger when Jena smiled and lowered her face, as if to hide a blush, “But if you don’t mind me asking, where have you been the past week?”

Jena’s face got serious at the question, and she asked, with wonder and wide eyes that were looking right up at him,

“You were looking for me?”

“Yes, I was.”

“I was looking for you, too.” Jena said with a glad and understanding smile.

Scott then cleared his throat and said,

“Then I guess you won’t mind if I ask you another question?”

It was as if they were the only two people in the world to Jena, and she said, being so glad that he shared her feelings,

“Of course not.”

“Can I take you to dinner tonight?”

“Yes.” Jena said with a smile, which Scott returned. Then was finally when they exchanged contact information, and soon, Jena’s limo arrived, and she was taken to the hotel.

Jena would stay in the Ritz-Carlton hotel while in Paris, which was a very high end hotel, and she was staying in an expensive, luxurious suite. Scott would be at her room at eight o’clock to pick her up, so she had plenty of time to get ready. After Jena had done her usual beauty routine up to getting out of the shower a few minutes before, her cell phone rang. As Jena went to answer it, she assumed it was her father, since it had been a few days since they had talked, though he knew she was in Paris, but as it turned out, it wasn’t her father.

“Hind!” Jena exclaimed enthusiastically into the phone when she answered.

“Jena!” Hind replied, just as excited. Jena had been very close friends with Hind Hariri for a few years, but they didn’t talk as much recently because they were both so busy. At 24 years old, Hind is the world’s youngest female billionaire, having inherited her father’s fortune when he was killed three years before, when she was just 21. For Jena and Hind though, the age difference and both of them being wealthy didn’t matter, because their personalities were alike and they always had fun together.

“Hind, how are you? We haven’t talked in so long. How was your summer?”

“It was good, I went to Greece.”

“Ooh, lucky!”

“Yeah, but how was your summer?”

“Good, but unlike some people, some of us had to work this summer.”

“Jena, you worked for your father again this year?”

“Yes, Hind, I did. My father needs to know that I’ll be ready to take over the company when I’m 21.”

“Jena, I’m telling you, you can wait until your 25.”

“But I think I will be ready. Gosh, Hind, I’m eighteen years old. That’s three years away!” Jena said stubbornly, and Hind only laughed and said,

“Alright, alright, I’ll stop.”

“Thank you.” Jena said with a sigh, and Hind giggled some more, but Jena said, “Oh! Speaking of vacations, guess where I am right now?”

Hind knew that Jena had moved to California, but she didn’t know that much about the Young Americans and the tour.

“Where?”

“Paris.”

“Ooh, fun. How long are you going to be there?”

“Well, I just got here a few hours ago, but only for two more days.”

“Bummer.”

“Not really, I’m getting ready for a date.”

Hind then gave a slow gasp,

“Jennifer Lilith.”

“My name isn’t Jennifer.” Jena said with furrowed eyebrows.

“First of all, I can’t believe you’re in Paris, because you never go anywhere. And second of all, I can’t believe you actually accepted a date with someone. He must be very special, how is he?”

Jena then smiled, took a breath and explained everything to Hind, to how her and Scott met, to how she hadn’t yet told him who her father was or that she was wealthy and why she didn’t want to tell him these things, which Hind understood completely.

“Wow, Jena, he sounds like he is special. I’m so happy for you.” Hind said, in her most serious tone of the conversation in her beautiful, thick Lebanese accent.

“Thank you. Scott is just such a nice guy, you know?”

“Yes, but he’s cute too, you said, and that’s always a plus.”

“Why is everyone I know so shallow?” Jena asked herself playfully.

“Hey, I don’t have a boyfriend right now.”

“Then who did you go to Greece with?”

“Jena, if you would’ve been there, you would know these things!”

“Well, I’m sorry. We’ll hang out soon though.”

“Yes, we will. So, when is Scott supposed to pick you up?”

“Um,” Jena said as she looked around. She found a clock and her eyes widened, for it read 7:25, which meant she only had only 35 minutes to get ready. Jena didn’t panic, because she didn’t want Hind giving her a hard time, she being the older one between them and the big sister Jena never had.

“Hind, I have to go. But, call me again soon, okay?”

“Okay, good luck with Scott.”

“Thanks, I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Alright, bye.”

“Bye.”

Jena then hung up and put the phone down and went to her bags. Jena got out the dress she was wearing, the shoes that went with it, and the jewelry that she was going to wear so she had everything organized. Jena then went to the bathroom and finished getting ready. A eight o’ clock, Jena was putting in her pearl and diamond drop earrings when she heard a knock on the door. She quickly put the last earring in and said,

“Just a minute!”

Jena scurried to her bed, grabbed her clutch, slipped on her shoes and sprayed some Love Spell body spray on her neck. She went to the door and opened it, and there was Scott, looking handsome in slacks, a black, button up dress shirt and a blazer. They smiled at each other and Jena came out in the hall and shut the door, for she didn’t want Scott seeing the inside of her $ 5,000 a night suite.

“You look beautiful, Jena.” Scott said.

“Thank you,” Jena said, wearing a sky blue, short sleeve dress that went down to her knees and showed off her curves beautifully. Her necklace also matched her earrings, being an elegant string of pearls. Jena was also wearing her hair in long braid, which was her go-to hair do, the one she wore most of the time. “You look nice, too.”

“Thanks. Shall we go?” Scott asked, offering her his arm. Jena smiled, and put her hand on the crook of his arm.

Scott and Jena went to an upscale restaurant, where they talked and got to know each other, Scott always making Jena laugh. Both of them being over eighteen, with Jena finding out that Scott had turned nineteen in July, they both had a glass of champagne.

“Do you want to dance?” Scott asked a while later.

“Sure.” Jena said, and she took Scott’s extended hand and they walked to the dance floor, where some couples were already dancing. Scott’s hand went around Jena’s waist, her hand went into his free one, as her other hand went around him. Their bodies were close together as the song It’s All Coming Back to Me Now by Celine Dion started playing. As Jena listened to the words while in Scott’s arms, this all felt so familiar to her, but how? Why? It was their first date, and they had met a little over a week ago, and in that week she had thought about him so much that it felt like she already knew him, which she voiced to him,

“Scott, I just want you to know of how much I’ve been thinking about you this week. I mean,” Jena shrugged, trying to find the words, “I just can’t describe it.”

“Me too, Jena. After you left my apartment that day, I had a feeling that I couldn’t explain either, but it was a good feeling. I still have a good feeling.”

“Oh, Scott. I do too.” Jena said, smiling and looking up into his eyes. Scott smiled in return as Jena’s arms went around his neck and both his arms went around her. After dinner, Jena and Scott left the restaurant hand-in-hand.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” Scott asked as him and Jena stood next to each other on the Eiffel Tower.

“It is, its,” Jena said, breathless, as she tried to describe the City of Lights before her, “It’s all so magical.”

“Yeah.” Scott said, but he wasn’t looking at Paris, he was looking at Jena, his eyes scanning her soft, beautiful profile.

“It’s a shame we’re only going to be here for a couple more days.” Scott said.

“Yes, I hope you and I can see some of the sights.”

“We will.” Scott said. Jena showed her pleasure to him on the outside, but on the inside she was confused for she hadn’t yet told him who her father was and that by the time she was twenty-one, the fortune she would be getting would most likely be one billion dollars. How was she going to tell him? She felt horrible for keeping it from Scott, how would he take it when she told him? Jena then broke the silence when she took Scott by the hand and said,

“Come on, let’s go to other side and see the view there.”

They walked to the ledge and looked out at the city. Scott stood behind Jena as she said,

“It’s amazing no matter where you look.”

“Yeah, on such a clear night, too.”

Jena then looked up at the sky. All the stars were out, with a bright crescent moon to top it all off. She then felt as Scott took her hand and turned her to face him. Jena looked up at him as he took both her hands in his, and he looked at her as his face slowly lowered toward her. Scott and Jena kept their eyes opened and looked at each other until their lips met in kiss, a most perfect, gentle kiss. They then looked at each other, and Jena turned back to face the city, and Scott stood next to her. She leaned her head on his shoulder as their arms went around each other. Jena closed her eyes contently, but Scott looked up at the sky, also content and happy.

Later that evening, Jena and Scott were in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton.

“I had a great time with you tonight, Jena.” Scott said as they stood close to each other, both of them grateful that their weren’t many people in the lobby.

“I did too, Scott.” Jena said.

“So, what did you want to do tomorrow?”

“Well, actually I-”

Jena was cut off when she heard someone call her name from across the room, and she knew it right away to be her fathers voice. Her eyes widened, and she looked up at Scott, only to see he had a confused look on his face. She turned to see her father walking toward her, and Jena pulled her self away from Scott-though reluctantly-and walked toward her father.

“Daddy.” Jena said, smiling.

“Jena,” He said approvingly as she went up and hugged him. Her father then took his hands and hers and looked at her and said, “You look beautiful, what’s the occasion.”

“Daddy, there’s someone I want you to meet.”

Jena led her father as they walked back to Scott,

“Dad, this is Scott. Scott, this is my father.” Jena introduced them, but she felt horrible on the inside, for she could clearly see what Scott had to be feeling. He didn’t have to tell her anything: He was torn between emotions, and struggling with them. Scott knew who her father was, he recognized him and was a little overwhelmed and surprised. Jena knew that he was a little…hurt? Jena was hurting, that much she did know.

Scott shook Jena’s fathers hand, not believing the situation. Jena was the daughter of one of the richest men in the U.S. He remembered seeing him on television during the summer, where annalists were predicating that he would be a billionaire in 2-3 years at the rate is already massive company was expanding. But, why didn’t she tell him? Scott didn’t know if it was a good thing or bad thing that he didn’t even suspect that she was rich. But then he remembered the designer bag, and the limo with that famous companies logo on the back. The pieces were beginning to come together for him, and he shot a look at Jena, a look that almost told her that he was angry at her. She looked surprised, but then she looked away, regret and guilt written all over her face. A short time later, Scott and Jena parted for the night, him going back to the hotel he was staying at and she going back up to her suite, neither of them saying little more than “good night” to each other.

Early the next morning, Jena was sitting in a large cathedral. Late the night before she sent a message to Scott’s hotel to give saying she wanted him to meet her there. She wouldn’t be surprised, though, if he didn’t show up. The introduction between Scott and her father went well enough, and her father seemed to really like Scott and he approved of him. Jena was glad that her father approved of Scott, but what about Scott? She felt sorry for him. What did he think about her being rich? What if he didn’t want to be with her at all now? Jena now felt sick to her stomach, and a few moments later, she heard footsteps coming toward where she was sitting in the very front pew. She didn’t move or say anything as Scott sat next to her. Jena looked at him, and she put her hand on his. Scott didn’t pull his hand away, but he didn’t respond by taking her hand in his and giving it a gentle squeeze either.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Scott asked, Jena knowing that he was trying to make it as gentle as he could.

“Scott, I am so sorry, I guess I-”

“Jena,” Scott turned toward her, and Jena backed away the slightest bit, “Just tell me the truth, alright? I must be stupid or ignorant to not even think for a second that you were rich. You gave me no indication to think that. Did you do that on purpose Jena?”

“Yes, I didn’t want to tell you who my father was, alright? The day we met, I felt such a connection with you, something I had never felt with any man, and I loved it because it was with you. I felt safe with you. But, but by telling you I felt that what we had would be ruined. I’m so sorry, Scott. I feel horrible, I really do. I tried to think of a way to tell you, I-I wanted to tell you. And I understand why you’re feeling what you’re feeling.”

“You do?”

“Yes.” Jena insisted, but then her face softened, “And I understand if you never want to see me again because you think I’m this lying, deceitful girl,”

“No, Jena,” Scott said, shaking his head and taking her hand, “I don’t think that.”

“You don’t?”

“I did. Not to that extent, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little upset that you didn’t just tell me. But, I appreciate you telling me all these now, because I know it wasn’t easy for you, just like you know it wasn’t easy for me last night when I met your father.”

“So, you think everything is better now that everything is out in the open?”

“Yes.”

“And you don’t mind that I’m rich?”

“As long as you don’t become someone different from the woman I met.”

“Oh, Scott,” Jena said, smiling. They wrapped their arms around each other, and Jena said into his shoulder, “I can’t believe your giving me a second chance.”

“I can, Jena. Last night was wonderful,” Scott gently pulled Jena away from him so they were facing each other, “And I just want to thank you for telling me the truth.”

“And thank you, Scott for telling me how you felt. It means a lot.”

“Let’s keep it that way, always telling the truth and not keeping anything from each other.”

“Sounds good to me.” Jena said, and Scott leaned down and kissed her, his hand going to her face, her hand going to his. Jena leaned her head on his shoulder as his arm went around her and she said, “You know, Scott, nineteen year olds aren’t supposed to be as mature as you.”

Scott gave a laugh,

“Well, from when I was really little, neither of my parents were around a lot, my mom passing away when I was five and my dad always being gone. I sort of learned how to take care of myself, and I guess you can say that’s why I’m so mature.”

“It must’ve been hard when you were young, but who you are today was the good thing that came out of it. I didn’t have a mom growing up either, and my father was always traveling.”

“So even though our childhoods were different, they were the same.”

“And?” Jena asked, looking up at him.

“And I think that’s just another sign that we were meant to meet and be here with each other.”

Jena just looked at Scott, and she said,

“I love you.”

“I love you, too, Jena.”

They smiled, and Jena closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest, feeling him rest his head on hers. I’m in love, Jena thought to herself. And what a wonderful feeling it was, especially knowing that Scott felt the same way about her. Jena stayed in his arms, wishing to be no where but in that spot, always.


Back to index


Chapter 4: New Beginnings

Author's Notes: Hey! Omigod, I am sooooo sorry for the loooong wait. I don't have excuse. And just a warning, this chapter is soo pathetic and downright crap, but it's all I got, so enjoy! Please review!


About a month later, as Jena dipped a piece of an apple into caramel, she thought of how glad she was to be home. For the past month the Young Americans had been touring. Her and Scott had spent much of that time together, Scott showing her the world, just as he promised her he would. They went to Ireland, London, Tokyo, and some other beautiful places abroad. They also went to Wine Country in Northern California and to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Jena and Scott had been to many wonderful places in such a short amount of time, and it was wonderful, but Jena was glad to be home. For the first time in a month she would get to sleep in her own bed. Jena was glad that tour was over with so that her and Scott could spend more time together without having to worry about being in a specific place at a specific time and always being around other people. Now they had time to spare to be with each other, and they could go to Texas to visit her father.

As Jena finished her nightly snack, she checked the dates on her electronic calendar on the refrigerator door, and saw that tomorrow was a Sunday, which Jena was glad for. Tomorrow, her and Scott were going to look for a church that they could go to everyday, and since their places were just minutes apart, they wanted to attend one that was in the area. Jena was very much looking forward to tomorrow, for she was ready to take another step with Scott.

“I like this car.” Jena said the next morning as her and Scott were on their way to church. Scott was driving them in his blue 2006 Ford Focus.

“Yeah, it works for me. Didn’t you say that you needed to buy one, too, Jena?” He asked.

“Yes, I need to do that. I’ll get one this week.”

“What were you thinking about getting?”

“I don’t know, something like a hybrid, or a Toyota Prius. I don’t want one of those big SUV things.”

Scott laughed at how serious Jena was being, but he knew of her love for the environment, and he said,

“You know, they do make those in hybrid now.”

“I know, but I just want something small.”

Scott and Jena drove the rest of the way in light conversation, and a few minutes later they arrived at the church, where they were welcomed. Scott and Jena both liked the service, and afterwards they met the priest, and they met and talked with other couples, some of whom were older and some that were young like themselves. Afterwards, they went to lunch where they discussed it,

“I really like that church, don’t you, Scott?”

“Yes, I do. Do you want to keep going there, maybe go again next week to make sure? Because we can keep looking.”

“I don’t know, I really like it. The people were nice. Scott, we need to find a church that we can go to every week.”

“Alright, Jena,” Scott said, and their hands joined at the middle of the table, “We have a church now, one that we can go to together.”

“Yes,” Jena said, she being so grateful to God for Scott.

Scott looked at Jena, and then he looked at her hands and he noticed how tiny they were to his. He was tall, 5’11, many inches taller than her, and Jena was tiny compared to him.

Going to church every week is what helped Scott and Jena grow spiritually together, which only made their relationship stronger. The next couple of months were amazing for the two of them; They went to Texas and to Jena’s father’s property, where she grew up, and Scott and her father got to know each other, and they even spent time together when Jena wasn’t with them. Jena and Scott also spent much time together, going down to the beach in front of her house, talking walks at sunset and well into the evening. After they both caught their breath from the Young Americans tour, Scott took Jena on a tour of southern California, and they went down to San Diego and spent the day down there.

Now early December, Jena and Scott had been together for three months, turning into four at Christmastime, which they were now preparing for: They were at her home, decorating the Christmas tree, where there was light Christmas music playing in the background. After they were done, Jena and Scott stepped back to admire it.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” Jena asked, looking at the tree, which shone with gold.

“It is, you’re really good at this.”

“You helped a lot, too, you know.”

“You were the brains behind it, though.”

Jena looked up at Scott and smiled, and then he leaned down and kissed her.

A few days later, on Friday evening, Jena and her father were at a gala in Houston, while Scott was at home in California. Jena sat with her father, but little did she know that she was being watched from across the room.

“Where’s that boy of hers, I wonder?” Mark Smith, VP of Communications said to John as they watched Jena.

“Apparently Scott’s in California at the moment, but it’s better that he’s not here.”

“Have you met him?” Mark asked John.

“Yes, and I assume you have.”

Mark nodded, “He’s a nice enough boy.” He said grimly.

“That does him little good.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Don’t you see, Mark? If that little heiress marries him, I’m done for. But, if she doesn’t marry and decides not to take over the company when she’s 21 whether she’s marries or not-which isn’t likely-then I get total control over this company.”

“So, you want to get rid of him. That’s your plan.” Mark said as a statement.

“Yes.”

“You could watch them you know, we could have spies watching their every move, all the time.”

“No,” John said, watching Jena. He’d been watching her for some time. She looked beautiful in a light purple gown, sparkling jewels, and she had her hair pulled away from her face. Any man would say that she was beautiful and oh so desirable, and he was no different. Like most men that saw her, he wanted her. “They’ve only been together three months. We’ll give them three more months and if their still together then we will watch them, see where they go, what they do, who they talk to, and then we will find a way to get rid of him.”

“Tell me, what do I get for helping you execute this plan?”

John turned and faced Mark,

“When I become President and CEO, you will become CFO, earning five times more than you do now. Do we have a deal?”

“We do.”

“Three months.”

“Three months.” Jena said with a smile. She was talking with an elderly woman who had some up to her. This certainly wasn’t the first event like this Jena had attended, and events like these were often attended by the same people and Jena was quite popular with the wealthy people who knew her father. People were always coming up to her, talking with her, and Jena was always kind and made a point to talk to everyone who came up to her. This woman had asked her about Scott, for Jena’s father had mentioned him to her.

“Only three months?” The woman asked.

“Yes, but he’s a wonderful young man.”

“Well then, you should bring him to these things to keep you company, you’re about the youngest girl here, and I should very much like to meet him.”

“I will soon, it won’t be long before there’s another one of these, with Christmas and New Years coming up.”

“Good. It was very nice seeing you again, Jena.”

“It was nice seeing you again, also.”

The older woman smiled, and put her fingers under Jena’s chin, “Oh, look at you, you get more beautiful every time I see you. Being in love suits you well.”

Jena smiled, and the woman walked away. Jena was still standing in the same spot when her father came up to her,

“What did she have to say?”

“Nothing much,” She said, turning to her father, “But, all she wanted to know about was Scott.”

“Is that a bad thing?” He asked.

“No, it makes me proud to talk about him, telling of the things I love about him and how good he is to me. But, daddy,” She paused for a moment, “I would like to know how everyone found out about us.”

Her father knew that Jena wasn’t mad, for she gave him a smile that was almost mischievous.

“Nothing stays secret for long, Jena. You know that,” Jena looked down, and her father asked, “But, why didn’t Scott come with you?”

“Well, this is the first event like this I’ve been invited to since I’ve met him. I just wasn’t sure if he’d like coming to something like this. After all, daddy, there aren’t a lot of young people here.”

“True.” He said, nodding.

“Although, I get the feeling that he would drive me nuts if he came to one of these things with me.”

“Why is that?”

“Daddy, Scott is very mature, don’t get me wrong, but can be a total boy sometimes. You know how boys are: Being bored, trying to relieve their boredom, getting yelled at by me for being obnoxious, and them not understanding what they did wrong. I just don’t want to have to have that discussion.”

“Jena, there’s no way to avoid arguments once in a while.”

“I know.”

“Still, everything is going good for you and Scott.”

Jena smiled,

“Everything is wonderful.” Saying it with all honesty.


“Jena!” Scott called when he saw her in the airport, for she had been in Texas for the past four days. Jena looked around for Scott, hearing his voice, and it didn’t take long to find him. She called his name excitedly as she ran up to him and leaped into his arms.

“I missed you.” Jena said into his shoulder.

“I missed you, too.”

“What did you do while I was gone?” She asked as she looked up at him.

“Nothing much really, I just took care of some stuff. Did you have a good time?”

“Yes, I had fun getting dressed up and telling everyone how wonderful you are.”

Scott laughed, walking with his arm around Jena’s shoulders,

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, everyone was asking about you.”

“Well,” Scott said, “I’ll have to come to these things more often.”

Jena knew that Scott wasn’t being serious, but she was just that when she looked up at him and asked,

“Would you really want to come to an even like that?”

“Jena, you don’t actually like going to those things by yourself, do you?”

“Not really,” Jena said with a quick shake of her head, “But that’s not the point.”

Scott shrugged, going back to her original question,

“I wouldn’t mind. It’d be fun to see what it was like. If you want me come, Jena, all you’d have to do is ask…And help me get a new tux.”

Jena laughed, Scott relieved to see her lighten up,

“That can be arranged.” Jena said, putting her hand on his chest.

“Come on, let’s go to lunch.” Scott said, taking Jena’s hand. She allowed him to lead, believing she’d follow him anywhere.

“Scott?” Jena asked, sitting across from him at a casual restaurant a while later.

“Yeah?” Scott asked.

“Tell me what high school was like for you.”

“I’ve told you about school.” Scott said.

“Yes, but not that much.”

“Alright,” He leaned back in his chair, “What do you want to hear?”

“Like how good you were at sports, or if all the girls liked you.”

Scott noticed how Jena’s eyebrows danced up and down at her second request, and he knew that she was being playful, and he also knew how to return the jest without making her mad. He smiled, knowing that Jena wanted to hear about his high school years from him because she didn’t go to a normal school, just a private school. Scott thought for a moment before starting,

“High school was good for me. I liked it. I did quite a lot of sports, but I still like playing sports more than I like watching them. I did football, basketball, and track.”

“Were you good?”

“I guess I was. I was captain of the basketball team, and one of the captains of the track team. And that year-my senior year all three teams were conference champions.”

“It sounds to me like the teams had a pretty good leader.”

Scott shook his head,

“I’m not that good a leader.”

“Scott,” Jena said, leaning closer across the table, “You’re wrong. I can already tell that you would be a great leader, in whatever you were doing.”

“Thanks. But, the guys were great too. I was friends with some of them. Despite that though, I didn’t have a whole lot of friends in high school. I could kind of get along with everyone. I was on the student council, and I wanted people to know that if they had a problem, they could come to me.”

“That’s why you’re such a nice guy.”

“Yeah, well, the girls at my school thought I was too,” Now Scott leaned closer to her, seeing her half-hearted smile, “Jena, I liked girls in high school, I’m not going to lie to you,” At that, Jena looked down, and he took her hand, silently telling her to look him in the eyes, and she did, “But I’ve never felt for a girl the way I feel about you, ever.”

A smile then spread over Jena’s rose lips, and Scott said,

“Now you have to tell me about your school years.”

“Mine aren’t nearly as exciting as yours.”

“Doesn’t matter.” Scott said, and Jena let out a laugh.

“Well, I went to a private Catholic school all my life. I had to wear the uniform and everything.”

“You weren’t one of the girls that got in trouble for hiking their skirts up too high, were you?”

“Maybe I was.” Jena said, playfully coy. She raised an eyebrow as her and Scott looked at each other, and then they laughed. “Anyway,” Jena said as the laughing subsided, and she continued,

“I did good in school academically, and I got along with some of the girls, but for the most part, I didn’t have a lot of friends either. I wasn’t made fun of or anything, it was just how I was brought up, which was sheltered, if you want to call it that. My childhood, Scott was similar to yours. My father was traveling quite often, and I was left with a nanny. But, that doesn’t mean he didn’t do a good job with me-he did.”

“I know he did, Jena. I can tell.” Scott said seriously.

For him, it was hard picturing Jena the way she was describing herself. Their conversation always flowed effortlessly, and their personalities and sense of humor balanced each other out well.

Jena had told Scott a little about the guys that were before always hitting on her, so he wasn’t completely unaware-although since she’d been with Scott the problem had reduced significantly. Jena didn’t share all the details though because she felt that it didn’t matter now. Nothing about her past mattered as much to her anymore, for she was only focused on the future.

About a week later, Scott was in a high-end department store trying to find a Christmas present for Jena. There was only ten shopping days left and he still hadn’t gotten her anything. Scott was walking through the store and looking around when he heard,

“Can I help you sir?”

Scott turned and realized that he’d found himself in the perfume department. The voice belonged to a middle-aged woman behind the counter. Scott walked up to her,

“Uh, I’m not sure. I’m looking for a gift for my girlfriend and it’s our first Christmas, so I want it to be special, but…I don’t know what to get her.”

“Well, would she like perfume?”

Scott thought for a second, remembering that every once in a while Jena would wear a certain body spray that he loved, but he knew it wasn’t perfume.

“Actually, yes. I think she would like perfume.” Scott said enthusiastically, wondering why he didn’t think of that himself.

“Great! Now, tell me a little about this special girl of yours.”

“Wait, don’t you need to know like what kind of smells she likes?” Scott asked.

“Well, not yet.” The woman said as if she knew what she was doing.

“Oh, okay,” Scott said, and he cleared his throat, “Well, her name is Jena. She’s a beautiful young woman. She’s got these dark brown eyes, and dark skin. Jena’s free-spirited, and she can be stubborn, and she’s not afraid to speak her mind. But, she is kind and friendly. She just a great girl.”

“She sounds like a wonderful young lady.” The woman said sincerely.

“Mm-hmm,” Scott agreed, nodding as his chin rested in his hand, seemingly day dreaming.

“Alright, now you can tell me her favorite scents, particularly a favorite flower.”

“Favorite flower?” Scott asked, mostly to himself. He then had to think. He knew what it was, for he’d gotten able to recognize it since he’d met Jena. Scott loved it’s smell, for whenever he smelled it, he thought of Jena.

“I know what it’s called. It’s white, and I think it comes in purple, too. It’s kind of exotic-y. Yas-yasmine?”

“Jasmine?”

“Yes! Jasmine! That’s Jena’s favorite flower.”

The woman nodded knowingly,

“Yes, there’s Jasmine and White Jasmine. It’s a very pretty flower,” She explained as she got out a black binder and started looking through it. “And you were right, it does have an exotic look and smell to it. It comes in many different verities, too.”

Scott nodded, thankful for all this information on his girlfriends favorite flower, none of which he knew before.

“Here it is,” The woman said, and she looked up from the binder to Scott, “If you’ll just give me a minute, I have to go find it.”

“Please, take your time.”

A moment or two later, the woman came back with a small box and a small pink bottle.

“I think I found the perfect perfume for you. Here, smell this.” She said, spraying some on a card and giving to Scott. He took it and inhaled the fragrance. It was beautiful. It was Jena.

“Wow, it’s very pretty.” Scott said.

“Yes, it’s pretty rare, too. But, it’s fit for a princess.”

Scott knew what rare meant: Expensive. But, the last part reminded Scott that it didn’t matter. He’d do anything to make Jena happy, wanting to treat her like a princess, like all men should treat the woman they love. Scott smiled, holding the bottle in his hand, which was a simple but beautiful design.

“I’ll take it.”

The woman smiled,

“I’m glad.”

A couple minutes later, Scott thanked the woman for her help and he was on his way, happy to have found a simple but lovely gift for his girl.


The night before Christmas Eve, Jena greeted her father, for he was spending Christmas with her in California this year.

“Hi, daddy.” Jena said as they hugged and he kissed her forehead.

“Hey, sweetie.”

“I’m glad you could make it.”

“I am too,” His eyes scanned the foyer, “Where’s Scott?”

Jena pressed her lips together, stifling a smile,

“He’s sleeping.”

“Sleeping?” Her father asked. They walked into the living room, and saw Scott sleeping on the couch. Jena stood behind it and looked at him,

“Actually, I wouldn’t call it sleeping. It’s more like a sugar coma.” She almost laughed at seeing the look her father had given her, “We made cookies.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Yeah,” Jena said softly. Her father walked into the kitchen, but she turned back to Scott and moved some hair away from his eyes. He didn’t even stir. Jena smiled softly before joining her father in the kitchen, seated across from each other at the table. She noticed that he’d already helped himself to a cookie.

“So, you and Scott made cookies together.” Jena’s father observed, as if needing to think about it. Jena nodded, but didn’t say anything, praying that her father wasn’t going to drill her as he usually did. “You know Jena, it is getting late.”

“And your point is?” Jena asked.

“You don’t let him spend the night, do you?”

“Oh, my gosh. Is that a serious question?”

“Yes, Jena, it is.”

“No,” Jena said, now standing, enraged that her father would ask such a thing, “I don’t, okay? He’s never spent the night here, I’ve never slept with him.”

“There’s no need to get upset Jena.” He said sternly.

“I thought you liked Scott.” Jena said, her hands on her hips.

“I do, I really, do. I just want to know that you know what you’re doing.”

“Daddy,” Jena said, walking up to the table, “He is my first love, and I know that he will be my last.”

“Are you saying your in love with him?” He asked, though not in an angry way.

“Yes, I am. I know it’s only been four months, but I love him and I know that he loves me.” Her and her father just looked at each other, “Aren’t you happy for me?”

“Wouldn’t any father be?” He said, finally relaxing. He was happy for her, and they both smiled as he stood. Father and daughter embraced, Jena burying her face into her father’s chest, both of them happy with how life was. Jena couldn’t have been more happy, knowing that the two men in her life loved her unconditionally.

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=965