The Genie and the Djann by FloweroftheBlueStar



Summary: "My young ones, I have a tale for you...” The elder said as he picked up a handful of sand. “This tale is a legend from long ago, a story that has since been forgotten, where the memories of true love were taken from the very sands of time...”
Rating: PG-13
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Aladdin, Carpet, Genie, Jasmine, Original Characters, Sultan
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 10/20/08
Updated: 04/09/11


Index

Chapter 1: The Elder and His Tale
Chapter 2: Moonlight and Jasmines
Chapter 3: She's Coming to Visit
Chapter 4: Where You Go, I Will Follow
Chapter 5: It's You!
Chapter 6: It Can't Be


Chapter 1: The Elder and His Tale

Author's Notes: Hey, I figured I would upload my story here, see if it will get a positive response. I've been having a major writer's block with it so I figured if I do it from the beginning my muse will come back to me. Enjoy!


The sun was high in the sky and blazing in all of its fury. Whatever moisture that hung in the air was the sweat from the people who walked the streets of the desert city. The people walked to and fro; men and women, young and old, all of them going about their business with hardly any other care to distract them from their tasks at hand.

The market place was the center of this hustle and bustle of people. Merchants and traders showing their wares, calling out to potential customers as they shoved their items into unsuspecting people’s faces.

An elder sat in the shade, away from the main thoroughfare, his pale blue eyes gazing unseeing at the people who spared him barely a glance in return. His silver hair hung long and loose past his shoulders and a long staff rested against a bony shoulder. His garments were simple, brown in color, and yet there was something about this man that whispered something more. On his weathered cheeks were tattoos of various signs made from dark blue ink and his unseeing gaze seemed to follow the sounds from everything around him.

At the moment, as he sat on his cushion beneath the shade of a curtained stand, his eyes followed the source of the sounds of small footsteps, bare feet gently padding on the hard packed dirt. There were several of them, weaving their way past the moving crowds of the market place and on toward where the elder sat as still as can be.

The old man smiled at the sound, they were coming once again. These street urchins had taken to visiting him everyday, not to bother him or to pick on him. The only thing they wanted was to hear his tales.

The children comprised of four ranging from ages of twelve to eight. There were two girls and two boys and they gathered around him now, taking their seats on overturned baskets or on the ground. The elder smiled at them, as his blind eyes turned to each of them in turn. “Welcome back young ones. I take it that you wish to hear another tale?”

The children were silent as they waited for the elder, watching him with rapt attention. They never spoke to him but waited for him to begin whatever tale he chose to tell. The elder loved that, they were not like most children he had met who spoke out of turn. They respected him which was more than he can say for most people.

“Let me see…” The old man gently took his staff and placed it upon the ground so that it stood vertically, the top of the wooden staff bore a small blue jewel that began to pulse with light. “I have told you the story of the boy and the genie’s lamp…”

The elder’s unseeing gaze moved back and forth as the staff’s blue jewel emitted a gentle light blue glow. Forms began to take shape from the sand that rested around the staff’s base, the small figure of a man emerged from the sand along with it the form of a tiger’s head, which towered above the small man.

“I have also told you of the king of thieves.” The elder made a gesture and the sandy forms of the man and the tiger head disappeared, only to be replaced by the forms of other men that totaled in forty. “That tale is always a fun one.” He smiled at that as the forty men made of sand began to run and jump. The children all gasped and giggled, enjoying the tricks that the old man could make with the sand.

The elder paused in his tricks as he sensed the attention of other people beginning to gather, their interest peaked at the sound of children’s laughter. His blind gaze traveled over the gathering crowd, his long fingers running gently through the sand around his feet. There was a feeling there, a feeling in the sand he had not felt in a very long time. Ah yes, this was it. He had been waiting for this moment; there was a story he had yet to tell and could finally, at last, tell it. He had not told this one in such a long time.

“My young ones, I have a tale for you.” He picked up a handful of sand and held it up, letting the grains fall into the palm of his other hand. The sand’s flow began to slow and the elder’s blind eyes moved as if he were reading something. “This tale is a legend from long ago, a story that has since been forgotten, where the memories of true love were taken from the very sands of time.”

The sand stopped in its downward flow and then began to spiral upward, moving around the elder’s long fingers and curling about his thin wrist. “Where can I begin this tale? I suppose at the very beginning, but then I would only confuse you, for this tale weaves in and out of others that I have spoken of before.”

The sand spun and twirled around his hands and he slowly eased his fingers apart, the spinning grains of sand beginning to take shape. “It all truly begins on a clear, star filled night.” At this the flowing sand spread apart and a colorful image emerged from the shifting sand that swirled between the elder’s long fingers. “On a night where the moon shines its brightest and a being, the likes of which is hardly seen, laments over the loss of a dear one…”

Back to index


Chapter 2: Moonlight and Jasmines

Author's Notes: Disclaimer: All characters, save for the obviously made up ones, belong to Disney


The desert sands seemed to twinkle beneath the light of the full moon, perfectly mimicking the twinkling sky above. The moonlight bathed everything in a deep blue hue so that the oasis that rested among the dunes looked as if it had been carved from sapphires.

This oasis was special for it was hidden from the rest of the seven deserts, appearing as nothing more than a mirage to unworthy travelers. Only one soul was ever allowed entry into this paradise and he was there now, watching the reflection of the moon upon the still waters of the oasis’ lake.

He was as blue as the foliage around him, a single top knot of dark hair emerging from an otherwise clean scalp. His frame was broad at the shoulder and lean at the hip. His broad chest remained bare to the elements while from the waist down a red sash indicated a hint of clothing, though it was nothing more than a wisp of blue smoke where legs should have been. His face sported a dark goatee that ran down and along his jaw line, ending in a faint curl. There was nothing human about this being and only those who knew him would know that at one time gold shackles had adorned his wrists to show that he had been a prisoner.

He had won his freedom however, thanks to the kindness of his last master. He was free to do what he pleased and how he pleased to and this had been the first place he had paid a visit when he had left to see the world. It had been countless centuries since he had last been here, but it was still the same as it ever had been. A part of him had feared that it had disappeared with the desert sands, but the sands never touched this place.

He lifted his gaze from the surface of the lake and stared at the cluster of Arabian Jasmines that bloomed on a small island in the middle of the lake. Their white petals basked in the light of the moon; when their petals closed when the morning came, the island would look like nothing more than a sanctuary for simple leafy plants. Opening his hand, he conjured a similar blossom from a puff of blue smoke and placed it gently in the water. The blossom drifted there for a moment before it began to float toward the island of its own accord, little ripples distorting the reflection of the full moon above. At the shore of the small island, there were other blossoms that he had left, having taken root to join their brethren.

“Hey kid…” He said, a sad smile slowly playing across his lips. “I…don’t have much to say right now.”

He rubbed the back of his neck, his pointed ears appearing to droop as he heaved a sigh. So many times he had been here since he had been free and this was the first time that he couldn’t think of anything to say. He perked up a bit then as a thought hit him. “Oh that’s right! Did I tell ya? My buddy Al finally got married.”

The blossom that he had let go on the lake floated around the small island, not quite drawing near to the sandy shore. He watched it as it danced on the small ripples that it made. The wisp of blue smoke disappeared as his legs appeared, red pointed shoes adorning his feet. He sat down on the shore of the lake and placed his chin in his hands.

“That was quite a wedding but, ha! Oh man!” He laughed as he slapped a hand to his forehead. “The trouble we had along the way trying to get Aladdin and Jasmine hitched! Ha ha!” His laughter subsided after a moment and he stared at the blossom as it floated once around the small island. “I’ll tell you that story next time kid… It’s a little bit longer than the others but, I’ll know you like to hear it.”

The smile seemed to fade and he hung his head, his large blue hands covering his face. “By the lamp, I do miss you...” Another sigh slipped passed and he shook his head. “Over ten thousand years and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss you.”

The blossom danced once more around the small island of Arabian Jasmines. However, instead of magically taking root upon the small island like the others, it began to float slowly back toward the shore upon which he sat. He did not notice that it was floating there at his feet until a flash of white caught his eye. Lifting his head up, he stared at the flower before he leaned down to scoop it out of the water.

“That’s never happened before…” He mumbled as he turned it over between his fingers. The petals were in full bloom, basking beneath, not the light of the moon, but by his presence. The blossom leaned into his touch and settled there quite happily. He frowned at it in confusion as he scratched his head with his free hand, now what on earth was this supposed to mean?

Cupping the white flower, he stared at the other jasmines on the small island. They sat there quite happily, enjoying the moonlight, looking no different than they had before. A moment passed before he took the flower that he had and held it over his heart. The oasis had always had a life of its own; a magical quality that even he, as a magical being in his own right, did not fully understand.

“I’ll take this as a sign that you’re here… somewhere… and that you miss me too.” He said this with that famous wide grin of his before it melted away into a smaller smile. “I gotta go but I’ll be back soon and I’ll tell you all about Al and Jas’ wedding. I promise Triv…”

He stared at the island one last time before his legs disappeared in a veil of blue smoke. “See ya later kid.” He said with one last look before turning and flying off into the night sky.

Back to index


Chapter 3: She's Coming to Visit

"She's coming!"

The young woman who burst into the throne room was waving a piece of parchment in one hand, excitement written clearly on her beautiful face. Her dark eyes were alight with all the emotion that ran through her, her long dark hair kept in check by two pieces of silk. She wore a two piece sea blue outfit and golden, pointed shoes. Gold earrings, a gold necklace and a bejeweled band signified her status as royalty.

"What? Who's coming?"

The young woman's outburst had gained the attention of her husband and her father, who were both looking over a miniature model of the city of Agrabah. Her husband was dressed in a simpler ensemble as compared to his wife. A fezz rested on the top of a head of dark hair that ended about his ears. A white shirt with an embroidered vest adorned his torso and pants that swelled out and gathered about his booted ankles covered the rest of him. He watched his wife with an amused expression, the obvious love he felt for her ever present in his dark eyes.

"Who is coming Jasmine?" The young woman's father asked. He was a small jolly man with a white beard and bushy dark eyebrows. A jeweled and feathered turban dictated his status as the ruler of the kingdom. His daughter glanced at him with barely contained excitement as she handed the parchment to him.

The sultan took the parchment and read it over while Jasmine moved over to her husband and squeezed his arm tightly. "Oh! This is so exciting Aladdin! You'll finally get to meet her; she hasn't been to Agrabah in years."

Aladdin glanced down at his wife; he was a little afraid to ask who it was Jasmine was talking about. She might have mentioned this person before and he didn't want to feel like more of an idiot by making it obvious that he didn't know who Jasmine was speaking of. The sultan however, came to Aladdin's rescue.

"Oh my yes, this is exciting. Sahira is finally coming to visit. I wonder what made my dear brother-in-law decide to finally allow her to leave..." The sultan trailed off at this as he read the letter once more.

Jasmine looked up at Aladdin and gave one of her sweetest smiles. "My mother's brother is the ruler of the kingdom of Trysalis further to the south. Sahira is his daughter." She snuggled against his arm and sighed in contentment. "We haven't seen her in five years though."

"Oh." Aladdin placed a hand over hers, his mind only focused on the beautiful woman at his side. "So you have other family, that's great. Five years is a long time to not see family."

She pulled away from him, a thoughtful expression on her face. "Yes it is." She shook her head then and her smile came back in full force. "But she'll be here in a few days and we can catch up on everything we missed. Oh I can't wait!"

She ran to her father and hugged him tightly. "We'll have to arrange a welcome party for her and gather together all of her favorite meals and deserts!"

"Oh yes, of course. Anything you need Jasmine, just let the servants know. We'll have to make this welcome party something special." Her father patted her arm affectionately as he smiled fondly at his only child. Anything that made Jasmine this happy made him even happier. He was excited to see his estranged niece as well; her visits had always been pleasant ones. "Now where shall we begin?"

Jasmine planted a kiss on her father's bearded cheek before letting him go. "I'll handle everything father. Aladdin, will you help me?" She asked while taking her husband's hand.

"Uh, yeah sure." Aladdin glanced back at his father-in-law as Jasmine began to drag him out of the throne room. The sultan only waved them off with a smile and turned back to the model of the city.

This was going to be different, he thought to himself as he began to gather his miniature citizens and set them up around the market place. He may be a simple man but he was not so much of a fool as some people were led to believe. There was something in the air, something more to this visit than what Jasmine thought, though what that would be the sultan was not sure. Five years of only a few letters and then a sudden visit? Something did not quite settle. He wondered what news his niece would be bringing when she finally arrived a few days hence.

Well, he supposed they will all find out when she arrived. The sultan only hoped it would not be anything terribly serious. He rather liked the moments when his palace and his kingdom were at peace. He could only pray to Allah that all would be well.

Back to index


Chapter 4: Where You Go, I Will Follow

The wind had a biting cold to it. It pulled relentlessly on the shawl that was wrapped tightly around the young woman's face. She kept her head bowed, trying to avoid the bits of sand that flew on the wind from getting into her eyes. She stared down at the reins clasped tightly in her small hands while the movements of the camel she rode swayed her back and forth, back and forth…

"Lady Sahira, are you all right?"

The deep voice of her bodyguard awoke her from her daze and she glanced at the heavily muscled man that rode on another camel on her right. He was a large man with arms like tree trunks and a chest like a barrel. He wore a dark blue turban around his head, a piece of cloth from the turban covering half of his face from view. He wore a matching dark blue shirt with silver embroidery and black pants, signifying his status as a member of the royal guard of Trysalis. He would have been considered handsome if not for the permanent scowl he wore most of the time.

The young woman only stared at the man who had been charged with guarding her life since she had been small. She wondered now, why it was he traveled with her when he had every right to forsake her and return to Trysalis where he belonged. That had been an argument she had made the first day of her journey, an argument that she had lost. Her bodyguard was as stubborn as a mule.

"I am fine Barir." She said as she returned her gaze to the reins in her hands. "I am only worried, I don't know what exactly it is I need to find or how I should find it."

Taking in a breath, she lifted her gaze to the night sky where the heavens were clear and bright. "I need to find the Blue Star. Once I find it, it will lead me to the place where I will find the truth of my birth." Her dark eyes searched the stars above but even as she did so, she knew that the Blue Star of the riddle would not be so easy to find if it had been in the sky. The Blue Star could be anyone or anything.

She could feel the tears burning at the corner of her eyes but they refused to fall. Instead she sat up straight in her saddle and pulled back the dark blue shawl. Her long black hair was held back in a bun, the silver comb that held it bore the engraving of an Arabian Jasmine at its center. Wisps of black hair were pulled free of the bun and whipped across a face that bore an undeniable beauty.

Barir had known this young woman since she had been so small. He had watched her grow over the years from a quiet obedient child, ever loving to the man she had thought been her father, to a dignified and intelligent young woman who listened and watched and learned. Most women her age would have been in an arranged marriage suited for one of her status and bearing children. The Sultan of Trysalis had not allowed her to be married, though suitors had come to call, for reasons he had not made known until recently. Reasons that now had them traversing over the desert to the kingdom of Agrabah further to the north.

It was Sahira's hope that after she had explained the reasons for her visit to the Sultan of Agrabah; after she explained that she was not the true daughter of the Sultan of Trysalis but a child of unknown parentage. That the man she had come to know as her father and the woman her mother had taken in an orphaned baby to raise as their own. She had hoped that even though she was not a true cousin, the Sultan and his daughter were still willing welcome her and maybe even help her in her quest.

Sahira took in a deep breath as they trudged over an incline on the worn road that led to Agrabah. They would be at the city gates within the morn. She and Barir had been traveling for two nights and resting during the day. This was their final night of travel and Sahira was growing uneasy. Oh she hoped that Jasmine would still be happy to see her, she had not seen her in almost five years…

Sahira glanced over at Barir just as the wind was dying down. He returned her gaze and gave her a reassuring nod. She smiled just a little and looked on ahead. Perhaps it would be all right, even though she was not a true princess born, she and Jasmine had been close when they were younger. Maybe that childhood friendship would be enough for Sahira to still be welcomed.

"Barir…"

"Yes my lady?" Barir pulled down the cloth from his face. The wind had just died down.

Sahira opened her mouth and was about to protest his calling her "my lady" but stopped herself. She knew it would be another losing battle with him. Instead she offered a smile that almost made her eyes sparkle. Reaching up to grip the small, light green pointed crystal that hung on a silver chain around her neck, Sahira glanced down at the stone that she had always carried. This was the only piece of her heritage, this and the silver comb with the Arabian Jasmine engraving on it. These two items, her adoptive father had said, had been with her the day she had been found, along with a piece of parchment with the riddle of the Blue Star. Her father had been determined not to reveal this to her but an old wiseman had come to court, an old and respected man who bore a hint of magic about him. It had been him who had put in motion the change in Sahira's life. A change that she wasn't sure was good or bad.

She glanced back at her stubborn bodyguard and gave another smile. The man was so stubborn but she was glad that he had stayed with her even after learning the truth. "This is going to be a long and difficult journey Barir. Are you sure you wish to journey with me?"

Barir's famous scowl made itself known right then and there. "My lady, where you go I will follow."

Her smile grew and she looked ahead of them just as the view of the city of Agrabah spanned out before them. The sight of it brought a jolt of excitement and fear through her; this was her first step in her journey. She only hoped it would go well.

High above the man and woman who traveled the worn desert road to Agrabah, a solemn large blue figure flew through the night sky toward the same city, not noticing the travelers below him. Barir however, noticed the flash of blue above and looked up just in time to see the genie disappear toward the palace. A thoughtful frown replaced the scowl, now that was something you did not see everyday…

Back to index


Chapter 5: It's You!

The city of Agrabah was much larger than the city of Trysalis, a fact that Sahira had forgotten over the five years she had been away. As she and Barir rode through the city gates that morning, the sounds and smells of the city hit her full force. There was so much more excitement here; people moving from one place to another while carts and horses tried to maneuver through the crowds.

The marketplace was filled with even more activity; merchants and traders calling out to potential customers. Their stands were filled with all kinds of items and food, while colorful banners glared beneath the morning sun. It was only early morning and already the city's heart was pounding in its beat.

Sahira's unease with the coming meeting at the palace was briefly forgotten as the sight of the marketplace. Since she had grown up in a sheltered environment, Barir could understand his lady's simple pleasure in the everyday things. That is why he said nothing as he led their camels on foot, while Sahira rode, up the main street toward the palace gates.

At the sight of the large wooden gates, Sahira's unease returned full force. The closer they got to the palace gates the more the unease grew into fear. She and Barir had left Trysalis under the cover of night, only her adoptive father and a few others had known of her plans. She had sent a letter to Jasmine to make her aware of her arrival. The sultan had allowed her the use of one of his most trusted and fastest of messengers. She only hoped that the letter had arrived safely.

"Do not worry my lady, all will be well." Barir had not looked at her when he had said this but he knew her well enough to sense her moods.

Sahira took in a shuddering breath, her heart beginning to flutter against her rib cage like a frantic little bird. "I hope you are right Barir…" She closed her eyes and clasped her stone pendant tightly. "I hope you are right…"

--

"She's here!" The princess of Agrabah rushed down the steps toward the throne room. A few of the servants who were putting together the last of the decorations bowed to her with smiles. The sight of their princess so full of excitement was quite infectious. The entire palace was buzzing with activity with the arrival of the princess of Trysalis. True to Jasmine's word, she had overseen every detail right down to the types of flowers that decorated the bedrooms that her cousin would be staying in.

She slowed down to a walk as she entered the throne room where her father and husband stood waiting. Although she was entitled to her excitement, she was princess born and therefore must display herself as such. Her smile, however, was large and as she stood beside her husband and placed her arm around in his, she knew that it would only grow larger.

Aladdin smiled down at his wife. "Are you ready?" He asked, giving her arm a gentle squeeze.

"Absolutely not." Jasmine replied in turn as she kept her eyes on the door. "I'm terrified."

Aladdin laughed at that comment just as he felt a sudden weight on his right shoulder. He glanced at the little brown chimp that had made himself at home on his shoulder. The monkey wore a little purple vest and a matching little fezz on his head. He made a few noises to Aladdin in hello while he moved over to Jasmine's shoulder. Aladdin smiled at his friend. "Good Morning Abu, so you're finally awake?"

In response, Abu gave a huge yawn and slumped against Jasmine's neck. Apparently this was not the monkey's ideal time to greet the day. The sound of air whooshing past their heads made the small group look up to see a beautiful gold embroidered purple carpet with gold tassels. It flew around them once before floating in front of Aladdin, adding to the group that now stood waiting in the throne room.

"Hello Carpet, good morning to you." Jasmine smiled at the magical rug as it waved one of its tassels in an uncanny gesture that resembled a hand. It flew once more around them before settling itself down beside Aladdin, standing on two of its bottom tassels like feet.

The Sultan clapped his hands, "Well, it seems as if everyone is accounted for except…" He trailed off as he looked at the small group, now noticing that a large blue form was not present. "Where is Genie?"

Aladdin glanced around as well, he had been so wrapped up in the excitement of the morning that he had not noticed his best friend had been missing. "I don't know. He'd just come back from his trip just last night. Maybe he is still asleep?"

"Well then, perhaps we should let him rest. He can join us a little later." The Sultan gave a cheerful smile to his daughter. At that moment a servant blew a golden horn from his post by the large blue doors that were the main entrance to the palace, signifying the arrival of visitors.

Jasmine visibly jumped at the sound and she gripped her husband's arm in barely contained excitement. Aladdin laughed softly and wrapped a reassuring arm around his wife's waist. "Relax."

"I know." She leaned into his embrace even though her nerves were getting the best of her. She could not help it; Sahira had been like a sister to her, she had so many fond memories of her visits to Agrabah. Back then, her visits had been more frequent and as both of them had had no other siblings and friends to call their own, they had looked to each other for companionship. But then she had stopped coming sometime after Jasmine's fifteenth birthday. Jasmine could only assume that as a princess, Sahira had duties that were expected of her to take upon; duties that Jasmine had not fully taken on herself until recently. After all, Sahira was four years her senior so of course she had begun her responsibilities before Jasmine had. It was strange though; Jasmine had always assumed that Sahira would be married long before she was. From Sahira's letters over the years, she had remained unwed.

The servant by the doors blew his horn once more before announcing the arrival of Princess Sahira of Trysalis and her royal guard Barir. The large blue doors opened and a petite, dark haired woman entered. She was dressed in a two piece dark blue outfit with silver flowers embroidered along the edges of her shirt and swelled pants. A black traveling cloak covered the rest of her while black, pointed shoes adorned her small feet. A dark blue shawl remained draped around her head and face. She was followed by a very rough looking guard decked out in clothes that were similar in style and color as that of the woman.

Jasmine pulled away from her husband just as the woman across from her pulled off her dark blue shawl. Sahira and Jasmine stared at each other from the opposite sides of the throne room before Jasmine spoke addressed her cousin with a welcome smile. "Sahira."

There had been uncertainty on Sahira's face, as if she were not sure what kind of welcome she would receive, but at the sound of Jasmine's obvious joy at the sight of her, a smile broke through and she started to move forward. Jasmine moved away from her husband and walked slowly toward her cousin. Both women were unsure of how to react as they closed the gap between them. It had been so long since they had seen each other, what was the best way to greet an estranged relative?

The awkward and unsure family moment was placed quickly aside when Carpet began to jump up and down in frantic excitement. He rose into the air and swirled once around Aladdin. "Whoa Carpet! What's wrong?"

Carpet motioned in an excited way once more before he turned around and rushed past Jasmine. He flew straight at Sahira, who gasped in surprise as she found herself quickly swept off of her feet and onto the magical carpet. She barely had been able to keep her balance as the magic carpet began to fly high around the throne room, weaving in and out between the pillars. Her stomach flew up into her throat when the carpet made a nose dive to the floor and back up again.

Sahira could here the shout of the others below her especially that of Barir, but the magic carpet was refusing to give up on the ride. She gripped the hem of the carpet as her heart gave a jolt. Something rather large and rather blue had just emerged from one of the corridors that led into further into the palace and the carpet was heading straight for it.

Genie made a dramatic display as he stretched and yawned his way into the throne room. He had slept so well. He had had strangest dream, but he could not remember what on earth it had been about. All he could bring to mind were a few glimpses of white flowers and a bright smile…

"Gooood Morning Ladies and Germs! What have we got planned for today?" He asked as he cracked the knuckles of his large blue hands, vaguely wondering why everyone was gathered in the throne room. He got his answer when he paused at the sight of Aladdin, Jasmine, the Sultan and a heavily muscled stranger shouting up at Carpet as he flew an excited route in and around the throne room.

A thoughtful frown touched his features for a moment before he grinned and started to walk toward to the frantic group. "Now why didn't anyone tell me we were having a party?" And with that he conjured in an explosion of blue smoke and sparks, a barrage of colorful balloons and streamers. A party whistle dangled from his mouth while a pointed, red and blue striped party hat sat at an angle on his head.

No one gave him the slightest bit of attention at the sight, which was rare. All of their eyes were currently glued on Carpet because the magical rug decided to change his route. He had caught sight of Genie and made a sharp beeline right to him.

"Whoa! Rug Man, watch where you're flying!" Genie was about to dive out of the way, balloons and streamers scattering, when the magical rug came to a sudden stop and the passenger he had been carrying lost their grip. The next moment they were sailing in the air and careening toward a pillar.

"Hello!" Genie's legs disappeared in a veil of blue smoke as he flew up just in time to catch the rather dazed woman in his arms. "OOF!"

They both were thrown back from the force and Genie flipped around with the woman safe in his arms, narrowly avoiding the pillar she had been about to hit. He had a bit of wind knocked out of him from the stunt and he shook his head to relieve the sudden blood flow to his brain. The woman was holding her own head from an obvious dizzy spell, her dark eyes slightly unfocused.

Genie gave a huge, cheesy grin to the woman he held, not truly getting a good look at her. "How nice of you to drop by, I do hope you do it again sometime." He said as he slowly floated down back to the floor.

Sahira gave her head a quick shake to try and get her eyesight focused. She glanced up at the blue being that had caught her but could not quite focus on his face. She tried to smile in gratitude but could only manage to a half of a smile. "Thank you for catching me… I wasn't expecting to be…" She took in a breath to try and relax her queasy stomach. "…swept off my feet by a flying carpet."

"Well apparently it wasn't so bad of a ride if you can crack a joke about…" Genie had trailed off then as he finally took a good look at the woman he still held in his arms. The others had reached them by this time and saw as Genie turned a paler shade of his regular blue hue. His dark eyes were wide and he looked almost afraid. He looked as if he were seeing a ghost.

"It can't be…" His voice had cracked at this statement, his mind felt a complete blank. He almost choked as he tried to speak. It just couldn't be true. "Triv.. Triveni?"

Silence fell after this strange question; everyone watched as Genie trembled from some unknown emotion. Carpet was flying round and round the couple in an excited manner and all Sahira could do was stare at the broad shouldered blue man who still held her in his arms while deep in her heart of hearts, a gentle little flame took spark. A gentle flame that held a deep feeling of recognition...

Back to index


Chapter 6: It Can't Be

Ba-bump-bump…Ba-bump…Ba-bump-bump…

His heart beat a frantic rhythm against his chest while the blood roared loudly in his ears. The face that gazed up at him was one he had not seen in ten thousand years. It was a face that he thought he would never see again. It had to be a dream, a timeless dream where his happiest memories still lived…

--

Her laugh surrounded him and bombarded his senses. "It's so beautiful!"

Her arms were wrapped tightly around his neck, her laughter turning to a squeal of delight when he flew through a few puffy white clouds. The night sky was filled with glittering diamonds and the moon, oh how the moon was so full and so bright.

"Don't let me fall!" She said, turning her laughing dark eyes up to his. "I'm not a genie, so I can't fly."

He held her more tightly against him and leaned into rest his cheek against hers, his lips just above her ear. "I'll never let you fall. I'll always be here to catch you."

"Will you?" She laughed, but there was a sadness there that replaced the brief moment of joy in her eyes. "Will you still be there the moment I set you free?"

He pulled back to gaze at her, to gaze at the face of the woman who had given him so much joy despite the life he had been bound to. His flying eased a little as he rested his forehead against hers. "My heart is with you… No matter where I go or who I am with, my heart will stay here with you."

They stared at each other, their love fully shown in their eyes. Her sigh was one that was filled with emotion and her voice trembled slightly when she spoke. "You're scaring me Genie, you're never this serious."

She was right about that but… he had never met anyone who had slid so easily into his heart the way she had. He had never met anyone who made him feel as if he could be more than just… a slave bound to a magical lamp. He couldn't remember ever loving anything or anyone as much as he had grown to love her in his entire existence.

"I'm sorry Triv…" He gave a wide smile as he held her closer. "Let's have some fun then. Hang on tight."

"Oh no, please don't do what I think you're going to do… Genie, don't!"

Her next response was a scream of pure joy and terror as he shifted in the air and dove through the clouds back down toward the desert sands below. "Genie!"


--

"...Genie? Are you all right?"

He shook his head at the familiar sound of his best friend's voice. The memory that had taken him back mingled with the here and now. The woman who he held in his arms was gazing up at him with a look of confusion and a shadow of some other emotion he couldn't name. It couldn't be…

"Ah hah. Sorry about that, didn't realize I was daydreaming." Genie flashed a smile at the woman while the color slowly returned to his face and the trembling subsided. "How are you feeling? Are you dizzy? Can you stand?"

The woman blinked a few times, as if she too were just coming to herself, before she glanced back up at him. "I don't feel dizzy anymore. I think I can stand on my own."

"All right then." Genie kept his grin, even though his heart still beat in a frantic rhythm. He set her gently back down on her feet, keeping a blue hand on her back in case she stumbled. "There we go, safe on the ground."

"Lady Sahira, are you all right?" The muscled guard rushed forward at once, his gaze traveling up and down to see if there were any signs of harm. His gaze then traveled to the blue genie, who had backed away a good few feet from Sahira. There was no mistaking the look of warning in the guard's eyes.

"I am fine Barir, thank you." Sahira took in a breath to calm her beating heart and frayed nerves. What had that been just now? That feeling of déjà vu…

Releasing that shuddering breath, she smoothed out the front of her traveling cloak and clasped her hands in front of her. "Your Majesty… Princess Jasmine…" She bowed to the sultan and to Jasmine in turn. "I thank you for the strange and rather exciting welcome."

Silence greeted this, uneasy gazes falling onto Carpet, who had moved to hide behind Genie's broad frame. Whatever the magical rug had been thinking, no one would know for sure and it was certain he was not going to say any time soon. It was forgotten just as quickly as it began however as the moment of a touching family reunion shifted into its place.

"Sahira?" Jasmine stepped in front of her cousin, her long dark hair swaying gently to the side. She reached out and took Sahira's hand just as the other woman glanced up, a question in her eyes. Jasmine gave a small smile, her eyes filling with tears. "Welcome back, we've missed you."

Sahira felt the tears welling in her own eyes before she straightened and was quickly pulled into a tight embrace. "I'm so glad I was able to see you again Jasmine. I've missed you dearly." She said while trying to fight back the tears that had been threatening to fall since she had arrived but it was to no avail. Soon, both women were crying as they held each other, tears shed for loved ones sorely missed.

The men shifted awkwardly at the emotional scene but it lasted for only a few moments. As the women pulled away from each other, Jasmine reached out a hand to her husband who was dressed in regal attire for the occasion. His turban failed to hide the lock of dark hair that fell across his forehead as he took his wife's hand. "Sahira, this is my husband, Aladdin."

Sahira's gaze traveled over Aladdin in a calculating way before they settled on his eyes. Her eyes narrowed just a bit as she gazed intently into his brown eyes. An awkward silence followed but then Sahira smiled brightly and shifted her gaze back to her cousin. "Oh Jasmine, he has such kind eyes."

Jasmine's smile mirrored that of Sahira's as she hugged Aladdin's arm tightly. Apparently, he had just been approved as suitable. He glanced at Genie with eyebrows slightly raised in question. Genie caught the look and merely shrugged in response, his grin ever present and never revealing.

"Ah Sahira, it is so good to see you after all of these years." Taking charge, the sultan moved around his daughter and son-in-law to reach out and grab his niece's hand. "Come, we must get you settled in and then we would like to hear all about your journey. How is your father doing?"

Her throat had grown tight with emotion at the reminder of the reason for her journey but now was not the time to reveal the truth. Not yet… there was still time to tell them, once they were comfortable with her presence again. Then she would tell them the truth and hope that they still felt the same way that they did at this moment.

While Sahira was being led away from the throne room by her sweet uncle, with her guard, her cousin and her cousin-in-law in tow, she could not help but glance back at the strange blue genie that chose to remain behind. His arms were folded across his broad chest while a thoughtful expression played on his otherwise cheerful face. The magic carpet had remained with him and was floating behind him, looking (if it were possible) a little down. That would be an interesting story to hear. It was not often one met a genie and a magic carpet. The genie, what had that strange feeling been the moment he had held her?

As if on cue, their gazes locked and a ripple of something flowed, that strange feeling of déjà vu prickling in her heart. They stared at one another, an unknown and familiar longing beginning to form in her heart. It lasted until he looked away, breaking the strange and fragile connection. As fragile and strange as it was, she had felt the loss of it and it only brought up more questions.

Those questions, however, were placed on hold as the voice of the sultan moved her back into reality, his hand gripping hers as he led her out of the throne room. The sight of the blue genie disappeared when they turned a corner but the feeling that he had stirred up within her remained.

Finally alone, Genie dropped his arms and rubbed his forehead. "I must be losing it… It couldn't be her. It's not possible, is it?" He moved his questioning glance to Carpet. "It can't be her."

The beautiful embroidered carpet moved the top quarter of his body in an uncanny gesture of a nod. He pointed a golden tassel to the door that everyone had disappeared through, trying desperately to make Genie understand. It was her, he knew better than anyone that it was her. That is what he was trying to explain to Genie but as a carpet, there was only so much that could be explained through pantomime.

Genie took in a breath as he shook his head. "No, it's just a coincidence. She died a long time ago. It couldn't…" He had accepted that fact a long time ago the moment he had been imprisoned in his lamp at the Cave of Wonders. He was afraid to believe it, that there could have been a chance that she might…

"No, it can't." He said this firmly to himself over and over as the veil of blue smoke appeared and he flew out of the throne room to the garden. "It just can't…"

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=981