Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Taking Chances by Princess of Agrabah
[Reviews - 7] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:
I had this idea in my head for a while thanks to a question raised by Meesh in the forums ^^.

Kudos to the first reviewer to pick up on the Slumdog Millionaire reference in Chapter 1!
Their lips met after what seemed like an eternity. The man’s hand brushed her cheek gently and she held it there, transfixed by his touch. She could feel him deepening the kiss and her heart began pounding. Like other girls she’d always dreamed of her first kiss but never imagined it to be like this. She began to lose all sense of control, even as his hands wove into her hair, pushing back the hood that accompanied her disguise. Her arms slithered their way around his neck, pulling him closer. Part of her mind screamed that this was going too far, after all they had just met. She barely knew him, and if her Father ever found out–

“Wait.” She said against his lips, pulling away reluctantly. “I’m sorry, I just can’t do this..”

“No, it’s my fault, I got carried away…” the young man replied sheepishly as he ran a hand through his messy hair. She could see the faintest trace of a blush on his cheeks, which made her smile. He was very much a man, but she found him both incredibly handsome and endearing, like a child.

“I’m Aladdin…by the way.”

“Jasmine.”

“Jasmine…like the flower?” Aladdin grinned charmingly before adding, “The flower’s not half as beautiful as you.”

“Thank you.” she answered, a smile gracing her features. He was very sincere and sweet, unlike those second-rate princes that her father had arranged to court her. And he had actually listened to her with a keen interest in what she was saying. He was so different than those suitors–why couldn’t she have him instead of one of those swaggering peacocks? It wasn’t fair. It’s also not fair that I’m keeping him in the dark about who I am, she thought suddenly, feeling a wave of guilt. “Aladdin, I have to tell you something…”
******
Oh, Allah…please don’t let her be married… He’d had enough of that sort of drama to last a lifetime. Besides, Jasmine was different. She was smart, and fun, and-

“I’m…I’m the Sultan’s daughter.

Wait…what? His mouth opened in shock at this statement. The Princess? After a few moments his brain kicked into gear and he lowered himself to a bow. “Forgive me, Your Highness…” he managed to say, the words causing a strange sensation in his throat. The Princess…I kissed–I might eve love the Princess. Commoners were forbidden to even look at the Princess, weren’t they? And he’d touched her–kissed her–and what a kiss it had been. She was the closest to heaven he’d ever get. He had wondered if this was all a dream…it had all been so wonderful. She’d been the only one ( besides Abu ) that had understood him, that knew what it was like to be trapped. But she’s the Princess. Whatever they could have had would never be. He supposed he’d get beheaded for this, or worse.

“Aladdin, stand up.”

“Your Highness?” Before he could do anything else she knelt down, took his hands, and pulled him to his feet.
Aladdin stared at the ground humbly, not sure what to say. His heart fluttered a bit when she lifted his chin so his eyes were forced to meet hers. Those beautiful eyes…no. He couldn’t think that, she was the Princess. He was a street rat. A nobody.

“Jasmine. Please, just call me Jasmine.”

“Your Majesty…might I be given permission to speak?” he asked, disregarding her request for sake of propriety–which, he supposed, was ironic, because he was anything but proper.

Jasmine sighed. “Yes.”

He refrained from raising an eyebrow and continued, “I–well, that is…why? Why did you kiss me?”

“Because I love you.”

“You…you love me?” he repeated, blinking confusedly at this. “Is this a joke?” he asked. He immediately wished he hadn’t when he saw the hurt in her eyes. She means it… “I mean–look at me.” He held out his arms and sat down. “I’m a street rat–a thief! A scoundrel, a public menace…” He was called those sort of names every day and he was beginning to think they suited him. “I’m nothing. What could you possibly see in me?” he questioned, staring up at Jasmine.

To his surprise, she sat down next to him and took his hands in hers. “You’re the only man I know that’s actually understood me. You saved my life, you were willing to help me even though we’ve only just met. You have a pure heart and a noble spirit. You’re everything I could ever want, Aladdin.” she said softly, lifting her hand to his cheek.

“Jasmine…I…” Without warning, her lips silenced him and he was flying again. When they broke apart he wrapped his arms around her protectively, not wanting to let go for fear she was a mirage. “I love you.”

“If you love me, then will you do something for me?”

“Anything.” he replied emphatically.

“Don’t ever cut yourself down like that again.” Jasmine ordered firmly. “You may think that you’re nothing, but to me you’re everything.

Aladdin smiled wanly and pressed his lips to her forehead. He frowned a little when he felt her trembling against him. “What’s wrong?”

“My father...he’ll notice I’m gone. He’s going to send the guards out to look for me.” Her expression changed, her eyes full of stubborn determination–a look that both scared and thrilled him. “I’m not going back. Not after finally tasting freedom.”

“You’ve never left the palace?” he asked, surprised. He supposed that if she had he would have noticed her, but then again, Agrabah was huge. Still, it was likely that he would have heard if the Princess was out and about in the city.

Jasmine shook her head. “Never. That palace is a prison. I can’t go back…not when I have to marry one of those fools.”

Aladdin was silent for a few moments, deep in thought. He was almost afraid to voice his opinion, as it was such a radical suggestion. But when he saw her staring up expectantly at him, he began, “What if we ran away?” At her surprised look he continued, “We could get away from all this. We could go anywhere, anywhere you’d like. Just you and me.”

“Wha?”

Their heads both turned at Abu’s protest. Aladdin chuckled a little at the monkey before adding, “And Abu. I guess I’m stuck with him.” Abu looked as if he was going to throw something at him, but Aladdin simply ruffled his fur affectionately.

Jasmine giggled at the monkey’s outburst, but then her radiant smile faded. Aladdin raised an eyebrow at this and she asked, “Where would we go? What would we live on?”

Without thinking he laid his hand over hers. “Love.”