Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Taking Chances by Princess of Agrabah
[Reviews - 7] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Jasmine awoke with a start. For a moment she was alarmed, as she was used to the soft cushions of her bedchamber in the palace, instead of the rough blanket and throw pillow on which she had fallen asleep. A smile crept across her face as she remembered the events of that day, and she looked across the room, expecting to find Aladdin sleeping soundly. However, she didn’t. She sat up a little and saw the moonlight shining through the huge window that left the hovel open to the elements. The young man was sitting on a step, gazing out over the city pensively. The moonlight enveloped him and made him seem almost dreamlike. To Jasmine he looked even more beautiful, like a finely chiseled statue of solid marble. She could have marveled at him all night, but she didn’t want to disturb him. She was about to return to her makeshift cot, but when she saw the dried tears on his cheeks she stepped forward involuntarily. “Aladdin?”

His head turned quickly in alarm, but soon his eyes relaxed and he smiled weakly. “Good morning.” he greeted her, a hint of sadness in his voice.

“Morning? It’s still dark out…”

“I’m usually up around this time. Somebody has to keep watch in case the guards come. Besides, I’m not really a heavy sleeper…”

“What’s wrong?” Jasmine asked, laying a hand on his arm gently.

“It’s nothing. Go back to b-“ His eyes widened as if surprised by the harshness of his own words and his tone softened. “I’m fine.” he reassured her, his lips brushing her forehead.

She wasn’t going to take that. She knew something was amiss. If he loved her, then he’d tell her. “Aladdin, what’s wrong?” she repeated, softly but firmly as she lifted a hand to stroke his cheek.

“I-I had a dream…” he said quietly after a moment of silence. “It’s normal…every night I have the same dream. Or more like a nightmare.” He added bitterly. His eyes found hers and he smiled that wan smile that tugged at her heartstrings again as he took her hand. “I’m alright, really. You should go back to sleep. It’s a big day tomorrow and all.”

“Please tell me what’s bothering you.” Before he could protest again she continued, “I’m leaving my whole life behind and starting a new one with you–because I trust you that much.” She ran a hand over his well-muscled arm gently. “Trust me.”

He frowned and drew her into his arms. “It was about my mother. She died when I was five. I…I found her one day and...I’ve been on my own ever since.”

“Oh Aladdin…I’m so sorry...” she whispered, wrapping her arms around him comfortingly.

“It’s alright. It was a long time ago. I have you now.” He brushed her cheek with the back of his hand and she held it there. “We should both get some sleep. If our plan’s going to work we’re gonna need plenty of rest.”

She smiled and nodded in agreement. “Good night, my handsome prince.”

“Sleep well, Princess.” Aladdin murmured back before capturing her lips in a kiss.
******
Prince! She called me her Prince! Aladdin sighed amorously as Jasmine drifted off to sleep. How could his life have changed for the better so quickly? Just yesterday the only thing that had mattered to him was survival. Now she was the most important thing in his life. He watched her contently for a few moments before settling down in a corner.

Now, just maybe he could leave this life behind. If they left Agrabah, maybe he could find an honest trade and actually take pride in the fruits of his labor. He was a master thief, but he was ashamed of it. All his life he’d fought and stolen in order to stay alive. He had been treated like a rat, and had been an outcast for twelve years. Someday things are gonna change, he’d told Abu one night. Now they were changing–maybe not in the way they’d expected, but things were changing, and for the better. Because of her. Someone cared, someone accepted him, someone loved him. And a Princess no less! It almost seemed too good to be true, that an angel like her even noticed a pauper like himself. But she’d sat with him, listened to him, and comforted him. He pinched himself lightly to convince himself that she was here, that she wasn’t a dream. Smiling with joy, he drifted off to sleep, dreaming of his lovely Princess.