Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Vulpem Ingis by Vulppop
[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:
[Author's notes: I admit, this chapter (along with the next) is awfully slow. Some chapters will be like this to set up certain plot details and possible character development. Others should be a lot more enjoyable and action-packed. But most stories I know are like this in the first place. I will say, I am a little worried about how these characters will be received. I am seriously not trying to make any of them overpowered or stronger than Mozenrath; and they all have their own weakness and limits. I'm also concerned with how people will take the particular place all these guys will come from. I can see why it would come off badly, but I'm genuinely just trying to explained the strange and vast mytho's of the series.

I mean, really. The Swab of the Seven Samurai(Vocal Hero). Robots(Anything Mechanicles has). I doubt anything I bring in will be as crazy or out of place than that. Just bear with me, I do and will explain things.

So I hope you enjoyed this chapter, give me a review or point out my mistakes. I don't mind coming back and fixing them. Heck, I've been doing that for several weeks.]
Chapter One

Chapter One

 

“No One at the Bridge”

 

~.: * :.~

 

NO!!!

 

Iron bars began to close in around Mozenrath, stopping him from moving forward.  He gripped the bars, and shook with all his strength.  They wiggled, sounding out a song of moving metal as he felt himself swinging back and forth. But no matter how hard he would try the bars where simply too strong.

 

I added the cage.  Annnd the hot air balloon.  Nice touch, eh?

 

Genie said very smugly, with his arms folded looking towards Aladdin.  Aladdin  looked straight at him, his anger showed through.  And to make matters worse he still had his gauntlet.  He reached out with his un-skeletal arm. No one else in the line up mattered, all that mattered was his gauntlet; his power.

 

My Gauntlet!” Mozenrath exclaimed with desperation in his voice, sounding a little like a child, “Give it back!!!”

 

Aladdin's expression changed to a sly, self-righteous look as he  pulled the gauntlet off his hand.  “I don't think so, Mozenrath.” He stated, just as smug as the djinn,“-It's bad for your health.”

 

'That's an understatement you moron!' He yelled in his head, as his eyes shot venom  towards him. Sure it's risky to use, but now it's the only thing to assure that he would get his health back.  After he did that, he could find a way to make sure it would never happen again. But any hope he would have was soon cut off, as the djinn walked over towards the cage with big a pair of scissors.

 

“Bonn voyage, Flyboy!”

 

The djinn cut the rope that held the cage that kept it from flying off.  He began ascend and fairly fast too.  He continued to look down upon the group; the djinn, the monkey, the parrot, the princess, the rug- and finally Aladdin  as he saluted to him.

 

“Have an unpleasant flight!” Mozenrath could hear Aladdin call out.

 

“I'll make sure you have an unpleasant death!!!”  the young lord shouted back, but they wouldn't hear him.

 

“I'll get your gauntlet back!” He heard the eel exclaimed franticly, starting to fly away towards the temple.  But Mozenrath could still see some of the commotion, and could tell that the worms that guarded the Elixir of Life had come back. He opened his mouth as though he was about gasp, but he didn't dare.  At the last moment he reached out his right hand and grabbed Xerxes by the end of his tail.  Like an elastic band he stretched as he continued to fly forwards before shooting backwards.  The entire time he kept his hold on his familiar, and once his momentum stopped Xerxes hung there loping back and forth. 

 

Mozenrath stepped away from the end of the cage till his back was on the order side; leaning against the bars.  He brought his hand up so that the eel could face him.  Xerxes brought his head up and looked at his master confusingly.

 

“You Fool!” He yelled in anger, “Those worms are still down there!  You'd just get eaten!”

 

Xerxes looked back quickly towards the group and gasped.  “Master!,” he said nervously, “ Aladdin leaving!!!”

 

With a shocked look, he threw Xerxes to the cage's ground and made over to the front edge; looking towards the ruins.  Sure enough,  he could see a dot of bright blue that could only be the djinn with Aladdin, flying away.  With his gauntlet.  He gritted his teeth while his eyes closed and his fist clenched with anger. 

 

'No, no, stay calm' He stated in his mind. 'This isn't the time for anger, you need to THINK.  How are you going to get out of this mess?  If you don't, you're dead.  Remember that, DEAD.'

 

He looked around.  Well, getting down is  the first step.  He had thought about maybe popping the balloon, but he then realized that it would be bad idea.  A very bad idea.  Adding weight would probably weigh it down. But they didn't have anything, so that idea was shot. Sending Xerxes to go and get the Elixir of Life was out of the question too.  Sure he could fly over, and the worms wouldn't be able to get him at a height; but Xerxes was weak.  There's no way he could lift that cup and fly all the way to this altitude.

 

'Why did I make my plan so over-complicated?' he mentally asked himself. 'I just could have gone for the Elixir myself, but no.  I wanted to make things difficult and add the humiliation of Aladdin to make things interesting.    To force his little friends to find the elixir and have Aladdin drink while in my body; THUS making me as good as new as well as returning back into my own.  But, NO.  His rag-tag team of comic relief and spoiled princess had to come along and had to mess everything up.'

 

“What do we do now?”

 

He looked over towards Xerxes, who floated around his right shoulder.  With his left hand he patted him on the head.  He looked forward to see the sight of clouds and blue sky before them.

 

“What -can- we do, other than wait?” He started off, crossing his arms. “How long can we be stuck up here anyways?” 

 

~.: * :.~

 

Four days…

 

It had felt like it at least.  Mozenrath wasn’t sure, considering his fading in and out of consciousness. So all he had to go by was his gut feeling; speaking of which only, reminded him of the vast emptiness he felt.  Not only his stomach but soul as well.  Weak enough just being hungry without the added feeling of death  constantly hovering over him.  He figured he didn't have much longer to go. He could almost see the florescent magenta colored sand in the hourglass hover in front of his eyes; showing him his last bit of life drain away. Draining away from the glass and his body. 

 

         'I'm pathetic...'

 

Yes, the Lord of the Black Sands had just called himself pathetic.  But why not? He lost.  And it's not the first time; at least with Aladdin.   Anytime else he had triumphed, basking in his well deserved victory.  Then one day he decided to take a trip to Agrabah to find some sap that could hold his way through a creature in order to catch the Thorax he managed to get out of the magical realm.  And who did he find?  A detestable, naive, street-rat.  But who's he to be calling names now? Once the great Mozenrath, Lord of the Black Sands; but what of him now? A shrived up shell of his once greater self; slowly fading away with the sands of time.  Just like an old man.

 

This made him torn between himself; A raging battle going on within his soul. First there's  the anger that he had been foiled by Aladdin.  The fact that he denied taking his body for his own so that he could live.  The part of him that's stubborn, prideful, and that refused to give up. Who wanted to sorely get his revenge on Aladdin for what he's done to him.  For taking his power away, for denying him life.  It was his beating, blackened heart, refusing defeat. 

 

'Who was -HE- to deny me life?!' that part of him screamed, 'How dare he!  I was so close!  It's not -fair-!!!'

 

         'And since when has it ever?'

 

And then there was the part that accepted his defeat.  The part that had swallowed his swollen pride like the well-deserved medicine he needed. It made him accept the facts of his situation, knowing that there wasn't nothing left to do now but deal with it. It tore his pride down, and made him come to his forgotten senses.  That his power had been the one thing that got him into this entire mess, for giving him this slow death.   His brain showed him the light where his heart had been blinded by pride and fury. 

 

' You knew what you were gambling,' that part said solemnly, 'And you decided to play it.  It's no-one's fault but your own.  If you'd never gotten the gauntlet, then you would had never gotten here.'

 

'Have you forgotten so quickly why I've gotten it!' His heart exclaimed in anger, ' I wouldn't be alive without it-'

 

'-And yet here you are already dieing.  Was it really worth the added time?' His brain replied, brushing off his heart like a piece of dust on his shoulder.

 

Mozenrath didn't feel like answering that question now.

 

He slowly began to open his eyes.  As he had thought, he was still trapped within the cage.  He really didn't have to open his eyes to know; feeling the altitude was a dead give-away.  He  sat down with one of his legs bent while the other managed to lay straight; going outside of the bars. He didn't have much room to do anything else but stand, but he had felt too weak to do so a few days back.  The sun still shined, probably noon-ish. The ground below seemed to be a lot closer than the last time he looked.  But he had a feeling he wouldn't see land up close anytime soon. 

 

How long is this air balloon going to last anyways?  He thought that he'd been on the ground by now, but he supposed the djinn's magic was the best explanation. Ironic, even though djinn’s can't kill, he'd end up being the death of him anyways.  Makes him wonder how Aladdin would feel having that on his mind...

 

“Master?”

 

Mozenrath's head creaked slowly towards the left; he couldn't see his own face but it was weary and his eyes showed dread.  If he had known he probably would have wiped it off his face somehow, not wanting to give signs of weakness.  The face staring back at him was worried with a great frown and eyes showing signs of concern and a little fear.  The eel was not happy with his masters condition as he called him with concern.

 

What, Xerxes?” He was surprised when he heard himself.  He had tried to spit the words out in aggravation; but it sounded more like he spit the words out of exhaustion.  Like a parent who's trying to shoo away their kid after a excruciating day at work.  

 

“Master O-kay?”

 

'No, I'm just DYING!' He sarcastically thought.  But, he didn't have the energy to do it in real life.  Instead he gave a deep sigh,  closing his eyes in the process as he brought his left hand up face.  He placed it n the palm of his hand as he rubbed.

 

“Not for much longer.”  He muttered out, before  turning himself around to look behind him.  He wanted to divert the topic; he didn't need his familiar whining over him.  All it would do is make him want to die sooner. Looking from above, he saw  that there was no more golden sand below. No, instead he saw a sea of lushes green before him; a jungle of a place that quite frankly he didn't know.  They were still going westward, and if anything had changed they would have  either gotten more north or south.  What was west of Arabia? He couldn't think beyond which direction they were going.  He still felt groggy like he'd just woken up; or  about to fall asleep.

 

“Where are we...?” he said aloud, not really directing the question to anyone.

 

“Don't know.” Xerxes replied, sounding glum.

 

“Figured that much...” he seethed, turning back around to the front.

 

His eyes were getting heavier.  He hadn't even been up that long, and he was already going out. He knew by now he was pathetic, but he didn't think it was this bad. Then a  little thought started creeping into his head. 

 

'But what if this is the last time?', he thought,  'What if as soon as I closed my eyes my mind would drift into the darkness and never return?' 

 

He felt his heart twist with his gut. No matter how long he had been up there, not matter how much he had thought about it hadn't dawned on him; and now it fell on him like a two-ton brick. He...didn't want to die.  He had too many things left that he wanted to do.  He had deserts to conqueror, power to gain, a street rat to kill. He couldn't just die now.

 

'No, no, get a grip on yourself Mozenrath.' he thought  'You're not going to die....right now.  Later, maybe, but not now.

 

As one would except his attempts to calm himself rationality didn't work.  Instead he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand straight. Dread like he never felt before washed over him, making his insides toss and turn violently.  The hunger pains he had before went away as he felt death creeping faster and faster up his spine.  Paranoia started to grip him tightly. He couldn't close his eyes, not even for a second.  Not even when they felt like they were two large doors ready to close.  He wouldn't succumb into the darkness like a dog with its tail between  it's legs; he won't to go down that easily!

 

He could see Xerxes swallowing down his concerns, and attempts to comfort.  Mozenrath had already made it clear a few days back that he didn't want to hear any of it.  And he helped Xerxes to know that even if he was dying he wouldn't be above killing him while he still lived.  But quite frankly, he wouldn't know what else the eel could even say.  What was he going to do?  Find the fountain of youth? Get a fruit of life? He couldn't do anything if he tried. 

 

At first the eel wanted to leave; to get his gauntlet back from Aladdin.  But Mozenrath quickly slammed that idea away, telling him by now it would be useless. How would he get it back anyways?  And how would he even know where to find him if he even managed to get his gauntlet back? It would be a useless venture.  And on top of that, as much as he hated to admit it, Mozenrath did -not- want to be left alone. 

 

He'd been fearful of death then, but even more now. But a part of his pride was still there as he began to think about Xerxes.  He was the closest thing to the young sorcerer had to being a friend, so there was no surprise that he didn't want the eel to leave before. He did leave once or twice, but he came back with food and water no less. But now  Mozenrath felt like he couldn't stand it.  He didn't want Xerxes looking at him with that pity look; and couldn't stand having him around.  He needed to get rid of him.  He would not allow having tears being shed over him.  He didn't want anyone to care. Unless, it brought them some sort of pain; and not the loving kind.

 

Xerxes...” He began out slowly, now purposely trying to look forlorn.

 

Xerxes perked up a little, looking a bit surprised.  It was the first time since being in the cage that he called out to him like that.  His tail began to swish in the air.

 

“Yes, Master?” he replied, sounding a tad bit happier.

 

“Your Master has a task for you...”

 

The eel's face lit up instantly, as he quickly flew over in front of Mozenrath's face.  He had a particularity evil look on his face; just like old times.

 

“What?” He asked, giggling evilly.

 

“Listen carefully...go and find Aladdin...”

 

“Uh-huh!” Xerxes nodded gleefully, awaiting the rest of his orders.

 

“...and tell him that thanks to him-AND his pathetic Genie-AND his pathetic friends-  for foiling my plans that I died!  At least I'll have the comfort in knowing that he will feel bad; even for a second.”

 

The eel gasped.  He began to shake his head violently in protest.

 

No!” he exclaimed in distress; flapping about in a panic, “ Master not dead yet!!!  Master still have-EUG!!!!!

 

Mustering up what little strength he had, Mozenrath grabbed Xerxes tightly  with his right hand, using what he had left to evoke fear into his familiar.  He didn't need this talk, nor did he want it.

 

Did I not just give you an order!?!” He snapped as an enraged expression as he stared menacingly into the eel's eye. “-Or was I not clear enough for you?”  He ended coldly.

 

Xerxes coughed from being choked. “No, crystal clear.” he replied in a small, wheezing voice.

 

“Then GO!!!!” He quickly turned and threw Xerxes away with all his might.  He could hear him scream a little from this action, but he'd survive.

 

As he turned back around he felt worse from before.  Obviously he did to much as his eyes weren't getting dangerously close to closing.  No, not now!  He couldn't close them now! There was no telling if he would open them again.  He tried to concentrate, starring into the blue sky; white clouds painted before a beautifully green landscape.  He had never seen anything like it before.  He's lived in a desert for so long, that something like this struck a feeling of awe deep within him.

 

'So, was it worth it?' His brain asked again. 

 

Was it? Either he could have died by Destane 's hands, not having one single moment in his life where he was even near happiness. Where he felt good about himself and the things he done.  And then now here he was dying, but unlike before he did have some happy memories. Not a lot, but at least he had accomplished something great.  And least he had did things that were worth-willed.  But was any of that worth it dying now?

 

'Yes,' he thought, 'It was.'

 

~.: * :.~

 

He felt his eyes snap open all of a sudden.  The cold night air struck his face and made him shiver.  He crossed his arms and cringed; bring both his knees into him.  The sky was clear, a waxing crescent moon shined and the stars were as bright as ever.  He would have appreciated the sight if not for the sudden relation that he had been out. No, he'd closed his eyes!  When did he do that?! He didn't remember.  He must of passed out, despite his struggle to stay awake.  And how long was he out? A couple of hours?  Ten?  An Entire Day?!  He didn't know, and he didn't have a way to tell.

 

'See?  You haven't died. Yet.'

 

Like that's relieving.  But he had to be thankful.  Even if there was no hope to free him of his situation.  He started to look around.  Xerxes was gone.  He had thought that maybe, just maybe the eel would have come back; no, in fact  a small part of him hoped for it.  But what would of happened if he did?  Embrace him in a hug?  No. He would have yelled at him for not listening to his order and cast him off to the side. But he would at least have the company...

 

'I don't -need- the company.' he sorely thought to himself.

 

'And your pride is sorely wrong.' His brain replied smugly.

 

Mozenrath shook his head.  Talking to himself.  He needed to stop that.  It wasn't healthy.  He stood up, his legs screaming in protest as they shook; not from the cold but out of weakness.  He grabbed the bars to keep himself up and  got a better look outside.  The site from noon was even better at night.  The pale light drowned the green jungle in a blue, glowing light.  He could see a river and water fall down below that danced, shimmered, and glistened in the light.  With all that's happened to him, he felt calm.  Not so much as keeping his emotions in check, but for once he felt at...peace.  It was something very unfamiliar to him.  Even with his impending doom, seeing the site below caused the buzz of emotions within him to slow down and stop. 

 

Which was....soothing, he guessed. It was one of the first times he didn't scheme to get power or take over the seven deserts.  And the first time he ever felt peace within himself.  But a part of him didn't like it.  Not like this, when he didn't have much longer to go.  He looked over towards the direction of the moon.  Placing his right hand on the upper horizontal bar, he rested his head on his hand and continued to look forwards.  A stream of clouds began to cover the moon; the rays of the moonlight shining through the gaps along with the stars that happened to be at the moon's side.  There was a particular star in question he found his eyes staring at. 

 

While most had a white glow, this one was far more golden than the others.  He wondered about it.  It seemed as though it was trying it's best to keep on glowing, as the more he looked at it the more brighter it got.   He  began to think of a metaphor he heard years ago.  Like, 'the light that shines brightest is the first to go out' or something like that.  But as he gazed on the clouds were coming to cover it up.  Aw, well, it was a shame.  He knew how it felt to get snuffed out even though the star couldn't.  After all, it was a star.   It didn't live or breath.  The clouds began to inch ever so closer to it.  He'd started betting if it was alive it wished it could move. He started shake the thoughts out of his head viciously. 

 

'Why am I suddenly thinking like this?!' he thought, ' I've never thought anything so sentimental before!  Why NOW?! I mean, couldn't I think of something a little more...constructive like-'

 

He blinked.

 

'-Like why was that star not covered up behind the cloud?'

 

He rubbed his eyes with his left hand.  He looked back into the direction of the moon.  Yep, the clouds were still thick; but yet there was that bright golden light, shinning like no tomorrow.  And it looked like it was getting bigger.  And...did he see a cloud...moving with it?! He leaned forward as his head went between the bars, both his hands held on tightly to them. He squinted, he must have been seeing things. He hasn't had water in maybe a day, and food since two.  His mind were just playing tricks on him for sure. That had to be it.  He thought it would change his perspective and see it was a trick of light, but he got the opposite.

 

It was worse.  It got closer and closer to him, but now he saw shadows; darkened forms of people sitting on top of the cloud.  And...the cloud had a face. He backed up and his left hand covered his eyes.  He took a deep breath.

 

'Okay, count to three...and  when you open your eyes everything will go back to normal...'

 

Taking another deep breath he counted; not speaking but mouthing the numbers as his skeleton hand helped to count down. 

 

'3......2......1......-'

 

He opened them.  His eyes went wide with bewilderment as the corner of his mouth twisted down.  Not only did the cloud with eyes get closer, but all of a sudden a silhouette of a very large looking fox seemed to be headed straight towards him.  He backed up, almost tripping over  his trembling legs.  He managed to grab the bars in time to keep him steady. Against the wall of the cage his entire back laid.  As it seemed to hop through the sky he could see a small flash of white light as though the paws of the animal had struck a solid surface.  It seemed like The fox would end up  slamming straight into the cage, but in the last stretch as it hopped into the air, it suddenly began to change.

 

It looked as though it's skin and fur suddenly flew off, dividing all into little pieces into the dark sky were it blended perfectly. It finally landed outside the cage, grabbing onto the bars and putting a foot in. But instead of some large fox outside his, it was a strange looking woman;  medium height; with fiery read hair that was thick and pulled into a tight, high pony tail. Her long bangs hung on the sides of her face that went to her chin line.  She had brown eyes, a thin face with high cheek-bones; and the expression she had seemed a little crazy. Her skin color looked dark but somewhat creamy, her complexion completely flawless. Like her face had been painted on by some master artisan.  The clothes she wore were just as strange to him. A silk kimono top with intricate designs in a jade green that sheened in the moonlight. A pair of bright red colored hakama's contrasted the long, rich top.  And finally, she wore a pair of sandals on her feet with white socks.

 

She was looking straight at him, with a large grin on her face.  He didn't speak because he didn't know what to say.  Finally she spoke up.

 

Hellllloo, and what are you doing up here?

        

 

~.: * :.~