Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Revelations in the Sand by FoxCort24
[Reviews - 1] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +



Aladdin adjusted his turban, again feeling the weight upon his head as he carelessly flicked the feather adorning the center of it, delicately tucked behind a sapphire jewel. His royal attire for the evening was even more ostentatious than the robes he had worn earlier during the coronation ceremonies and he was once again feeling ounces of dread beginning to creep along his back. Since he and Jasmine had allowed the servants and Genie to take control of the planning for this evening, he had also given up his control for what he would be wearing. Abu watched patiently nearby on a divan, dozing in and out of a slumber. The extensive proceedings of the day had taken its toll on him as well.

"Come on Al, you look great!" Genie stated enthusiastically, noticing the discomfort of his friend. "Jas is going to love it! You've always been royalty underneath," Aladdin looked puzzled as Genie made an x-ray film poof before them, pointing at a skeleton picture with a crown where the heart would be, "and now you get to show it off!" With another dizzying poof, the film vanished.

"I don't know Genie," he sighed, sitting down with a huff. He tore the turban from his head, tossing it at his feet. "No matter how everyone dresses me up, I'm still a street rat underneath. In this, I just feel like a fancy street rat."

"No Al, you can't think like that anymore," Genie said, shaking his head, understanding how deeply affected Aladdin was by that derogatory term, "No one can call you that anymore — including yourself."

Aladdin scoffed. "But they will. Maybe not out loud. Maybe not to my face. But they'll say it. They'll think it. Besides, they're right, I am a street rat. What do I know about running an entire kingdom? I wasn't brought up for this. I wasn't taught since I was a kid like Jasmine. Why should I expect them to blindly follow a kid from the streets?"

"Al, you have to remember you're not alone in this," Genie began, placing his hands on Aladdin's shoulders. "We're all here for you. You may have grown up in the streets, but that only makes you better prepared to handle the needs of the city! Besides, every Sultan's bloodline somewhere along the way traces back to some commoner who started a nation." He smiled as a rather large photo album appeared as evidence, "I know, I was there."

His friend was right. He was still trying to digest the fact he was the Sultan of Agrabah, and it continued to throw him off balance whenever someone else mentioned it. He knew after today he would be addressed in an imperial designation for the rest of his life. He was officially no longer a street rat, although he felt he might never be able to shake that infamous title. As the album vanished from his hands, Aladdin sighed. Picking his turban from the floor, he sauntered across the room to a full-length mirror and rolled his eyes at his reflection.

His outfit was similar to his usual 'Prince Ali' apparel, but as it was trimmed in gold, it was also draped in royal blue segments to match with his turban. On his finger, he paused, was his new royal ring. He admired it for a moment, realizing it was the first piece of jewelry he had ever worn. The ring he would wear for the rest of his life. He shook his thoughts, feeling everything becoming heavier, as it all had finality to it. His attire was incredibly much too much, and Genie was right, he knew Jasmine was going to love it. She always loved when he put on the noble dress and formal wear, most likely because he so rarely did so. After today though, he noted rebelliously, he wasn't going to be wearing any of these garbs for weeks. As Sultan, he thought coyly, he should be able to dress how he wanted.

His thoughts floated back to Jasmine, who was no doubt preparing as he was. Typically, they would prepare for an event such as this together, yet she had wanted to dress separately, to surprise him at dinner. It didn't matter to him what she wore, all he cared about was being near her, holding her hand and spending the evening with the only person with whom he felt himself. He had done his best to make her proud today and to make the memory of her father proud. He had wished his own father, Cassim, could have been present during the ceremonies today, however they had not heard from him or Iago in months. No doubt they were off on some adventure, Aladdin thought with a twinge of jealousy, and would be unable to send any correspondence until they had settled into a temporary home between quests. His thoughts then flew to how his life had once been. Before his life with Jasmine he was nothing but a lowly commoner, then a commoner engaged to the Princess darting around the Seven Deserts on adventures of their own, and now he was here. He drew a sharp breath as he thought about just how fast time had flown by. Just how many changes had occurred over the past few years; the Genie floating nearby was testament of that for sure. Ultimately, he decided, he wouldn't have changed a thing. Despite his increasing apprehension throughout the day, it was all worth it. Every challenge he had ever faced had brought him to this moment in time, this moment where he would share everything with the one woman who made it all possible and worthwhile. The woman he had married barely a year before. Jasmine.

Aladdin was shaken from his reverie when there was a slight knock at the door. Genie whooshed over to open it, leaving Aladdin standing near the mirror as he made final adjustments to his clothing. "Would you please inform his Highness we are ready to begin." A servant said politely, peering around Genie trying to get a quick glance at the new Sultan.

"Will do!" Genie closed the door and appeared next to Aladdin once more. "They're ready for you, Al." In his blue palm, his lamp appeared. A bit banged up from the past few years, it had a few knicks and dents, adding to the character of the precious item. It no longer held any magical significance, but still held a great deal of sentimental value to both Genie and Aladdin. "For old time's sake?" He asked with a smile.

Aladdin chuckled, eyeing the lamp. "Just in case?"

"This fancy-schmancy dinner really isn't for the magical type, and you never know. Should Mozenrath or Abis Mal or someone pop outta the sand, then I'll be there!" The thought of an attack on the city during their coronation had occurred to both Aladdin and Jasmine, prompting them to increase guards at the gates along with extra sentries scattered throughout Agrabah. Thus far, there hadn't been one iota of sand out of place, but Genie was right, with their laundry list of enemies, one never knew.

Aladdin smiled and nodded, "You're right Genie." With a blue cloud and slithering wisps of smoke, Genie slid into his lamp mentioning the need for a bubble bath. Aladdin listened as he heard a creaky faucet turn on and several squeaks of Genie's rubber ducky. Once he was fully inside, Aladdin placed the lamp within the folds of his turban, and returned it to his head. The bands around his waist were too tight for it to rest along his belt, and feeling the flashbacks of having the lamp tucked away in his turban brought a thoughtful smile to his lips. 'Just like old times.' He agreed, glancing at a snoring Abu deciding to let him rest, and left the room.

Once at the bottom of the stairs, he was stopped before entering the throne room where the banquet had been arranged. He could hear the low lull of conversations echoing from where the guests were arranged. From the voluminous sounds of the voices, he was sure there were at least a few hundred people waiting for him and Jasmine to arrive and initiate the meal. As the sun had set while he was preparing, the candle light flickered throughout the hallway, casting dancing shadows along the polished marble walls as the last of the light outside dwindled away. A servant had respectfully asked Aladdin to wait for Jasmine so they could enter together, formally introduced to their guests. He obliged thankfully, as it allowed him additional time to gather his thoughts and compose his cascading emotions. This was it. The moment he had been dreading for months, the moment he would enter. He would enter before some of the royal figures he had met along the years, the royal figures that once told Jasmine's father he was insane for allowing them to marry, some of the royal figures who once looked down on him and referred to him in some rather repulsive terms. Some of the royal figures he had saved in one adventure or another, and to Aladdin's loathing, even some royal figures that had once come to Agrabah in hopes of winning Jasmine's heart as a suitor. He sneered inwardly at the thought and dared any of those men to even cast a sideways glance towards his wife tonight.

"Hello, my dear Sultan," The last of his thoughts were instantly evaporated from his mind as he saw her. At the top of the stairs he had only moments before walked down, she stood beaming exquisitely at him. His breath caught in his throat as he gazed upon Jasmine, his mind instantly turning to mush. She was adorned in a breathtaking gown, a striking royal blue to match Aladdin. Nestled softly atop her head was a slim, golden crown with a small, yet brilliant, sapphire in the middle. Her dress flowed modestly, a simple yet provocative v-cut front and back, with a slender golden sash along her waist. The fabric was cinched at the abdomen and streamed outward at her hips. The length of her dress flowed to her feet, yet there was a slit that ran along the side and as she descended the stairs, he caught glimpses of her slender legs as they extended out. Watching her approach, he began to feel a warmth rush over him, yet again giving him the urge to grab his wife, take her back upstairs, and never let go. He yet again noticed just how tight the sash at his waist was; incredibly restricting, he thought aimlessly as he cleared his throat.

She reached the base of the stairs, and placed her hand in the one he had extended for her. "Hello, my dear Sultana," he returned with a spirited smile, still trying to recover from the intense affect she had on him. His heart was now pounding for an entirely different situation. "You look gorgeous, Jasmine," he exclaimed, for loss of a better word. He realized there were no words to describe her. She was something entirely undefined.

"Why thank you," she smiled and bit her bottom lip slightly, "you don't look so bad yourself." In truth, she was just as speechless as he was. Seeing him at the base of the stairs waiting for her, she nearly missed the first step. He had taken her breath away as she gazed upon him, seeing how he looked upon her. It truly didn't matter to Jasmine what type of clothing Aladdin preferred to wear, it all had the same effect on her. Since they were married, she noted, whether he was in royal attire or his usual daily clothing, she always just wanted to remove it from him. The passion and yearning they shared only intensified with each passing day, and now that they were allowed to act upon their urges, she found them harder to ignore. Tonight was no exception as he looked incredibly handsome in his new apparel, and although she could sense his discomfort, she reassured him with a small, yet tender kiss.

A gruff guard cleared his throat as he approached Aladdin and Jasmine, awkwardly interrupting them in their moment. Rasoul stood, shifting his weight, as he waited for them to break apart. It had been a rough day for him as well, adjusting to the new administration and practicing in the mirror how he would address Aladdin, so as not to make an off-hand comment that could cost him his head. It left a bitter taste in his mouth, but he tried, obviously uncomfortable with the words, "Your Highness," he addressed him as respectfully as he could muster. Aladdin smugly grinned from ear to ear. "They're requesting your presence in the throne room … for the banquet." He swallowed audibly, pushing back any snide comments or resentful emotions. There were quite a few bouncing around in his mind, yet Aladdin was superior now, so they would have to remain there. He knew he could also no longer grumble to his fellow guards as he recognized many wouldn't think twice about snitching about his traitorous remarks. One ill-placed 'street rat' comment and he would be heading for the gallows. He softened as he turned towards Jasmine, "Your majesty," He addressed warmly, the natural words flowing smoothly as he smiled towards her. With a bow he returned to the throne room.

"That's never going to get old," Aladdin chuckled softly as he and Jasmine followed. She gave him a knowing grin and linked her arm with his.

"He is head of the guards, Aladdin. It would do you both well to try and get along."

"I know Jasmine, but this is just too fun." He continued to smile as he thought back on all his encounters with Rasoul. "After all those years, I finally get to have the last word. Let me make him squirm for a few weeks and then I'll give it a try." He laughed.

"All right," she rolled her eyes with a laugh, "Just a few weeks."

As they approached the throne room, the boisterous noise from their guests was nearly deafening. Carpet was soaring about the room, helping to keep a watch on the events unfolding beneath him, helping to protect his friends from unwelcome visitors. Before they appeared from behind the golden gossamer curtains, a servant lifted a mighty trumpet and after a few, haughty notes, the guests were silent. He declared, "Your attention! Now introducing, his and her royal Highness, the Sultan and Sultana of Agrabah." As they stepped forward, Aladdin stopped breathing. He clutched Jasmine's arm tighter and focused on each singular step, suddenly feeling his clothes weigh on him. 'For the love of Allah, do not trip over these damn robes you're wearing,' he thought as he gritted his teeth.

The room remained silent as they stepped forward. Jasmine consciously and slightly rubbed his arm subtly, comforting him as they strode towards the throne. As they approached, their guests all began to bow. As a sign of respect, they each lowered to the ground before the new rulers as Aladdin advanced towards the mighty elephant throne. His grasp on her hand tightened. She suppressed a smile as she felt his new panic wash over him. She realized this was something they had not previously discussed; what it would be like for him to take the throne for the first time. It was something he knew was going to happen, but the magnitude of the situation had not been realized until this moment. How in the world was he supposed to take it? It belonged to her father, and now in front of all these people, he was supposed to look down on them from atop it?

"Jasmine …" He whispered slightly through clenched teeth.

"You'll be fine, Aladdin." She whispered back. "This is as far as I can go with you." She stopped before the soft cerulean carpet began. As their guests patiently watched, he swallowed tightly as he dropped her hold. With his back towards them, he closed his eyes momentarily and pushed a long breath from his lips to calm his nerves. He glanced back towards Jasmine who was now also bowing to him.

'I can do this,' he thought steadily, observing the throne, 'I can do this.'

He approached the throne, gradually and softly climbed the few steps and turned. His eyes met theirs as they watched, many with their mouth agape, stunned to be watching what they knew they would see, yet still incredulous to the sight. A commoner taking a royal throne. Tenderly, he sat, placing his hands upon the mighty tusks and forcing himself to continue to breathe. He had not fainted earlier on the balcony, and he was not going to allow himself to do so now. Once he was seated, their guests stood once again, clapping for the new Sultan. While he was sure many of them were not entirely happy for him, they were at least showing respect. Jasmine also raised, fresh tears of pride welling in her eyes. He had done it. They had done it. Something that was so impossible just a few short years before was now complete. The man of her dreams, love of her life, her amazing soul mate, was now the Sultan of Agrabah, sitting ceremoniously upon the throne. She brushed away the tears with a smile, the full impact, and the reality of it all finally settling within her. Carpet glided to her and presented her with a small handkerchief, to which she took graciously, patting him gently in appreciation.

'Rulers from all over the Seven Deserts just bowed to me. Me. Five years ago I barely existed, and now I'm sitting here. Here. Upon the throne of a Sultan. I am a Sultan.' As he looked over the guests smiling warmly at him as they applauded, he tried to maintain his grasp on reality. He became lost in how incredible everything was. How incredible his life had become. 'I am a street rat ... I am a Sultan.' He thought idly of who he was, who he had been, and how he was a breathing contradiction. Glancing towards Jasmine, his world began to settle, as it always did when he looked at her. She was all he required to regain his composure, to recover from over analyzing his entire existence.

For tonight, he did not need to worry about once being a street rat or about now being a Sultan. He had plenty of time to decipher what that truly meant to him, and everyone else. For tonight, all he needed was to look at Jasmine, forget all the titles and labels, and just be himself. Just be Aladdin.