Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Wind Jackals by Silvestris
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +

It was night. Above the black sand of the vast desert a clear and starry sky stretched outwards, towards eternity. The ruins of the city lay there huddling, like some gruesome secret, hidden in mist and shadows. The pale moonlight made the mist glow eerily, not enough to light up the city, just enough to emphasize the dark shadows even more The sobbing, crying wind made the mist dance and swirl, creating illusions of haunted spirits in the corner of the eye, just to make them disappear as soon as one tried to look closer at them.

Above the dead city, like a monster ready to fall upon anyone foolish enough to come within it’s reach, a darker shadow against the shadows, the Citadel crouched on its cliff. In a gloomy room in the highest tower, the lord of the city sat, in a throne-like chair carved from obsidian, with cushions of black panther skin on it. He sulked. Of course he wouldn't have described it as 'sulking', more rather like 'contemplating' or 'meditating over the injustices of life'. But, to be honest, 'sulking' came much closer. He glared out through the window as if the night was a personal insult. He couldn't decide whether to grunt angrily or sigh miserably, tried to do both and made a gurgling sound. He scowled and grunted angrily. He clenched his hands and clawed at the arms of the chair.”Aladdin.” he hissed. He felt like throwing something, couldn't find anything suitable, and compensated it with an expression dark enough to compete successfully with any thunderstorm.

In a dark corner Xerxes huddled deep in the shadows, well aware that his master was in his best 'beat up and blast mood’. He thought about doing a heroic effort and let Mozenrath work off his annoyance on him, glanced at the sorcerer and changed his mind. There wouldn't be much left of whatever had the bad luck to be noticed by his master right now. The eel hid himself deeper in the shadows.

”It’s not fair!” Mozenrath exclaimed. The gloomy room didn't seem to care, it just gloomed on. Irritated by the complete lack of attention he jumped up and started to pace around. Xerxes started back as a booted foot almost stepped on him. He let out a soundless sigh of relief as Mozenrath kept walking, unaware that his familiar was there. The lord of The Black Sands finally stopped and looked out through the window. Obviously he saw something that he didn't like, because he scowled and gave the view a glare of such fury that it felt like running away. At the horizon, a faint blue glow could be seen. Almost invisible it stretched all around the boundaries of his kingdom. He clenched his jaw and his skeletal hand clawed furrows in the dark stone of the window-frame with a sound that made Xerxes shiver and cover his ears with his fins.” You thought you could beat me that easily, didn't you. You really think you have me safely imprisoned and helpless here, in my own kingdom. But I'll show you! I'll make you regret the day when we first met!” Then he suddenly remembered that it actually was he that had seeked out Aladdin on the day they first met. That fact didn't really make him feel better. He turned away from the window and stalked out of the room. Just out of sight, Xerxes followed him like a shadow.

***

The gale howled and cried. It sweeped past, whipping the dust and sand to clouds, made them whirl in an insane dance. It had been flying, running for almost three months now, over deserts, plains, forests and seas. Inexhaustible, determined, Scirocco raced across the world, obeying that last command of his master. But not much longer. Only three days till next fullmoon. Only three days to go, then he would be free, the deal broken. He had had lots of time to think about what he would do then. The sorcerer had enslaved him, used him and hurt him, and finally sent him out on this worthless mission, refusing to grant him his freedom. Perhaps pay the sorcerer a little visit...? Perhaps bring the other wind jackals, his brothers and sisters...? Yes, he would do that. He would show that self-important little sorcerer who he had been toying with. And then, he would kill him. Howling the wind jackal raced over the sea and made the waves foam and boil in frenzy under him.

***

It was a wonderful day. The sun shone from a clear sky, a gentle cool breeze made the day warm instead of roasting. The scent of spices, fruits and tropical flowers mingled with the smell of camels, dirt and sweat. Flute-music, laughter, the sounds of bargaining and screaming filled the air. Aladdin and Jasmine walked together through the streets of Agrabah. No one noticed them, they looked as any ordinary young couple, dressed in simple clothes. Enchanted by some of the things they saw, saddened by other, they slowly made their way towards the palace. When no one noticed it they gave gold-dinari and fruit to the hungry children. Aladdin felt his heart dance with happiness over the ability to help those children, children he had grown up with, his brothers and sisters. Finally they left the marketplace behind them and reached the palace-gates. The guards stared at them. First they looked threatening, then surprised and finally just plain confused. When the princess ordered them to open they just did as she said, though they couldn't help staring at her simple clothes. When the couple had passed and the gates were closed the guards shook their heads. Things had been strange around here since that streetrat moved in.

***

Once again he read the spell through. Careful not to read it loud, not even move his lips, he studied it. For months now he had been looking for a way to break the spell the genie had used on his Gauntlet. Once he got his magic back he could worry about the prison-spell. First things first. He had gone through everything in his entire library, every book, every spell he had ever heard of, but the magic used on his Gauntlet wasn't ordinary spell-magic. It was wild magic, the sort magical creatures used, not easily broken by a mortal sorcerer’s tricks. This spell seemed promising, though. Interesting. Without his magic it would be difficult, but not impossible. He smiled slowly. With a determined expression on his face Mozenrath turned to the bookshelves behind him and started to search for the books he would need.

***

After the hot and noisy streets, the shadows of the wonderful garden felt refreshing and peaceful. Rajah looked up when they came and greeted them with a grunt before he lay down again and closed his eyes, enjoying the sunshine. Jasmine sat down in the grass beside the tiger and scratched him behind his ears. He sighed with pleasure and Aladdin smiled, leaning against a tree. Just when he thought about saying something romantic, Jasmine looked up.” Where’s Genie?” she asked.” I think he’s off to check his spell again. Just in case.”” Does he think it'll break, or why does he check it so often?”He heard the faintest trace of fear in her voice.” Nah, he’s just careful. After all, considering who it is he’s dealing with...”Jasmine shuddered and looked away. After a long silence she said quietly:” You know, sometimes I wish we had ended it when we had the chance. As long as Mozenrath’s alive I don't feel safe. I've never ever wanted to hurt anyone, but he...scares me. Perhaps it would have been best...”She trailed off. Aladdin sat down beside her, took her in his arms and held her close, cradling her like a child. She pressed up against him and embraced him.”Easy, it’s all right.” he whispered tenderly.” Mozenrath can't hurt us anymore. His magic is gone, and he’s locked away in the Land of the Black Sand for ever.””Or as long as Genie’s spell holds...”she thought, but she didn't say anything, just closed her eyes and covered his lips with hers.

***

The spell held. Genie tested it again. No weaknesses, no flaws. Not a chance Moze could get past this one. This spell would last forever. At least he hoped so. He was the first to admire Aladdin’s charity and mercifulness, but it could sometimes be hard to put it into practice. It was riskier to let an evil sorcerer, no matter how well imprisoned, live than to get rid of him once and for all. Mozenrath would have killed Aladdin without a second thought. Genie sighed and checked the spell one final time. He supposed that that was the difference between them.

***

The sky was darkening, the moon rising. It was almost full. The eerie cry of a passing wind broke the silence, and was gone. Two days left. Scirocco raced on.

***

The sun rose and the pale, dim light of dawn tried to make the towers of the Citadel gleam warmly, make the mist glow iridescently and spread a feeling of kindness, joy and beauty over the place. It failed.”Finally! Xerxes, where are you!” Mozenrath cried, barely able to control the excitement and joy he felt inside. So, that wrecked genie thought he could take my magic, just by putting that ridiculous spell on my Gauntlet? Well, we'll see about that...”Master call Xerxes..?”The eel came swimming trough the air, giving his master a curious look. Mozenrath grinned and nodded.”Yes. I've finally managed to break the spell on the Gauntlet! Now I can use my magic again!”The eel lightened up, smiling diabolically. The sorcerer covered his skeletal hand with the Gauntlet, it felt like a natural extension of himself, like the flesh and blood he no longer had. Just to try it, to make sure that it really worked, he built up the power inside, felt it filling him. His hair sparked and danced and his eyes glowed. He held the magic until it was tugging and tearing at his mind, and then released it with tremendous force. The entire wall before him blew up and dust and small stone fragments scarred the other walls and littered the floor.Ah! Power! And it was his again. Now he would only have to find a way to break the prison-spell, and then...Then he'd make them pay, once and for all. Outside the sunlight sighed with an air of resignation, shrugged and moved on to try it's luck somewhere else.

***

The day was hot and dry. The sunlight made the air shimmer and shiver, mirages dancing over the sand. Tai-Fun shook his silver mane and caused small breezes to stir the sultry air. He blinked slowly against the sunlight, his slanted eyes the color of silver; almost mirror-like in appearance. Close by, another wind jackal sat, her eyes distant. They heard a whooshing sound and turned just as Mistral landed like a green comet in a dramatic cloud of dust. The two wind jackals, silver and blood-red, looked at him.-Still no trace of Scirocco?- Tai-Fun thought to his brother. Mistral shook his head.-Nothing. I've searched everywhere, asked everyone. No one has seen him for over three months.-They all turned as a whirlwind came racing. An unearthly beautiful wind jackal landed close by; her fur was white hot and yellowish, her silky mane glowed like melted gold. She flitted over to where they stood as a mild breeze, her slender paws never touching the ground.-You haven't found him.-It wasn't a question. They shook their heads. She turned away.-I'm sure he’s all right, Gale. You know how Scirro is, sometimes he disappears for days...--Days, not weeks. He’s been gone for three months!-She shivered. Her two brothers looked at each other, then Mistral went to her side.-We'll find him, Gale. If we have to turn all of the world to dust, then so be it, but we'll find him. We just won't stop until he’s back with us again.-She gave him a sad smile and he touched her nose with his. Suddenly Mausime rose and shook her curly crimson mane, her eyes burning like fire.-This tale will have a happy ending! Let’s not just stand here and waste time!-They looked at each other, all of them with determined expressions on their faces. As four hurricanes of color, they flung themselves up in the air and raced away across the desert, the whirling sand the only trace of them, fading like a memory.

***

” Hmmm...” Genie examined the blue glow with a suspicious gaze. Something was definitely strange here. The glow was paler, fuzzier. Almost as if something had been weakening it. Something. Or someone. But that was impossible, no human being could have the strength it would take to drain that much power from the spell. At least, no one should have such power. Then again, it might prove unwise to underestimate Moze, that little brat. He should be familiar with all sorts of prison-spells and anti-magic barriers. Perhaps he had found some way to get his magic back? Genie scowled, then shrugged. As long as he kept the spell intact Mozenrath would stay right where they wanted him. The genie soared over the sand, glowing stronger and stronger until the light was too strong to look at. Then, with a lot of impressive sparking and hissing the entire prison-spell shone and shimmered brilliantly, like a dome of blue fire over Mozenrath’s whole kingdom. (In the vast, dreary desert nobody saw the impressive scene. He cheered and applauded. After all Nobody doesn't get to see many interesting things.) Satisfied, Genie nodded.” That oughta keep him for a while. About 10 000 years or so...”He smiled and began the way back to Agrabah.

***

A pair of eyes followed the disappearing genie until he was just a little blue spot at the horizon; dark, enigmatic eyes that gleamed with malevolent mirth. When the genie was out of sight Mozenrath turned away from the black mirror he had been looking into and smiled slowly - not that sort of mad grin all lesser villains always use whenever they get the chance, but the cold, evil smile of the professional. He stalked over to the strange device that lit up the whole room. On a frame of silver, placed in a complex pattern, twenty polished crystals glowed with a gloomy, flickering light. The glow was blue, exactly the same shade of blue as the spell-glow and they hummed in a strange alien harmony. Mozenrath’s smile widened and started to look more like 'the-lesser-villain’s-mad-grin’. He leaned jauntily against the throne-like chair. These crystals were amazing when it came to absorbing magic. Enormous multitudes of magical power that should have turned any sorcerer, no matter how powerful to smoldering ashes disappeared into the abysmal depths of the crystals. Absent-minded he studied them, felt their power work.” Who knows,” he thought to himself.” Perhaps one could catch an entire genie in one of these.”He'd have to investigate that idea later. It might prove interesting. But right now...The flickering glow continued, as the crystals absorbed the magic of the prison-spell.

***

Sunset. A storm was coming, dark mighty clouds raced in a mad dance across the sky. The descending sun lit them with a ominous red light, made them look stained with blood. Like a wall of darkness they slowly drowned the last desperate sunlight. A tension was in the air, the last moments of unnatural silence before the storm. Far away yet, the low menacing sound of thunder roared. Like a sample, a presage of the approaching onslaught, Scirocco flew across the sands. On a low dune he landed. He filled his senses with the sensations of the storm. He felt it coming, felt it’s power within his very soul. Tonight he would fly with this storm, dance with it, hunt with it. They would become one, share the same soul and mind. And when the morning came he would start his journey back. The last day. Then he would be free again. His fur sparked with the electricity in the air. Then he would return and the real hunt would begin. He growled quietly, an almost purring sound. The first winds of the storm ruffled his mane. It was time. He threw himself upwards, then plunged into the heart of the storm. He howled, and their voices joined in a wild harmony. They raced as one, both as wild and merciless, whipping the rocks to dust beneath them.

***

”...mist of plague, the Demons of the Netherworld, a firestorm perhaps?”Mozenrath looked up from the book he had been reading. He gave Xerxes a nasty grin. The eel grinned back. Sitting in the comfortable chair of his library the sorcerer let out a content sigh.” Ahhh, this won't be easy. There are so many interesting things I may do with Agrabah.”He let his finger run over the page, commenting the different spells.” ...the Eternal Night, How To Turn Innocent People Into Zombies - that’s a good one, one of my personal favorites - How To Create A Simin Golnar, Great balls of Fire - sounds almost like a song - The Pentagrams of Hell, the Fimbul Winter - snow in the desert?!?! - Mirage’s phone number...”High above the library, in the room in the tower, the crystals glowed so strong with magic that it was impossible to enter the room. The baleful blue light shone out through the window and made it look like a staring evil eye. Their humming now sounded like a tormented scream, but it drowned in the sound of all the other tormented screams echoing all over the Citadel. The prison-spell was very weak now, thin as pale smoke, just a faint shimmer in the air. By dawn tomorrow it should be all gone...

***

” The prison-spell is getting weaker?!? But that’s impossible! You said you'd made sure that he couldn't use his magic anymore!”Aladdin stared at the genie in disbelief. Genie shook his head and spread his hands.” I'm sorry, Al. He shouldn't have been able to break the spell. And even if he somehow managed to do that, he definitely shouldn't have been able to absorb all the magic of the prison-spell. Only a half hearted try should have turned him to a nice little pile of ashes. I don't get it. What he does is impossible.”Aladdin shook his head. He turned away and walked over to the wall, then turned back and looked at his blue friend, a worried and angry look on his face.” Then it all starts over again, doesn't it. We'll have to fight him again.”” I'm afraid so. He weakens the spell faster than I can repair it.”Aladdin swore and beat his fist against the wall.” Why does this sort of things always happen to me?! I never wanted to be a hero!”He sighed. Resigned he walked over to Genie.” We'd better tell Jasmine. She'll get upset, but if I don't tell her, she'll kill me.”” Oh, don't worry about that, Al. If Mozenrath is coming for Agrabah, he'll probably kill you first... Oops, sorry...”

***

The sunlight was reflected in a pair of mirror-like eyes. Tai-Fun studied the horizon. There was something in the wind, not as much a sound or scent as a feeling. There had been a storm and...something more. He leaped up and soared above the cliffs to investigate the lands under him closer. The feeling got stronger, made him shiver. He no longer hesitated, Scirocco had been here. And it wasn't more than a few hours ago. He took of and followed the trail.

***

Scirocco was tired but happy, he was almost home now. He stopped short as he suddenly spotted another wind jackal, silver and steel against the blue sky.-Tai-Fun!-Scirocco stared at his brother in surprise. Then a wild feeling of joy grabbed him, he hadn't seen Tai-Fun since the sorcerer caught him. He started to wag his long tail, spreading whirlwinds as he did so.-Scirro! Where have you been?! we've been looking everywhere for you!-Tai-Fun seemed equally happy, smiling like crazy, wagging his tail hard enough to cause a minor storm.They rushed side by side over the dunes, playing like puppies in a friendly competition. They ran faster and faster, two gales over the desert, purple and silver side by side. The country slowly changed under them, became more familiar. Scirocco shivered with relief and joy. Home. He was home at last. As a response to that thought, three hurricanes came rushing towards them, howling ecstatically. His sisters simply leaped at him and they went down in a tangle. They kissed him and laughed, seemed unable to understand that he was really there. Mistral and Tai-Fun grinned at him and wagged their tails.-Now, dear brother, you have to tell us where in storm’s name you've been!--Yes, Scirro! Tell us the tale!-He turned serious. The others felt it and became silent.-I will tell you the tale,- he said quietly.-But it is a dark tale, one of treachery and enslavement. One of evil...-The others crowded closer, listened, first with shocked surprise and disbelief, then with anger and finally burning fury as he told them the tale, the tale about an evil sorcerer named Mozenrath.

***

”Okay, careful now...”A lightning flared from his hand. Xerxes screeched and blinked, the light was so impossibly strong that it seemed to cut right through their minds like a knife. For a moment the eel and the sorcerer stood there, absolutely blinded. Mozenrath blinked and rubbed his eyes, but all he saw was dancing spots of light against the dark. Slowly the darkness gave in to the gloomy light of the torches and he could see again. Amazed he looked down at the crystal he held.” Now this was interesting! It seems as if I can use the magic stored in the crystals without leading it trough myself. The power of a lightning like that would have killed me if I had tried to create with an ordinary spell! Do you realize what power these can give me!?”The blue light of the crystal lit his face from below and made ghostly shadows flicker over his pale features. His evil smile made his face look like the visage of a grinning skull.” Now, let’s try it again. With a little more control this time...”He summoned the power from the depths of the crystal. It glowed stronger and stronger, until the light was so strong he could see the skeletal bones through the Gauntlet. Painfully slow he released the magic, struggled to control it. It fought him, tried to break free, but he didn't let go. The light became stronger, blinded him again, and he shut his eyes against it. Sweat dotted his forehead as he concentrated hard. Suddenly he became aware of the crystalline structure of the jewel. He followed it, searched for the weakest point. With a snap, as a key in a lock, the magic fell to place and matched his own. Surprised he opened his eyes again. At his command the crystal light faded and became as mild a candle’s. It was so easy! Once he had found the way to use the crystal it responded right away. Xerxes peered out from behind the door where he had hid himself. Summoning the power again, Mozenrath sent a precise, sternly controlled lightning towards the cliffs outside the window. At the impact the stone hissed and melted. The sorcerer levitated himself and landed next to the rock. First he couldn't discover anything, then he found a little hole, not bigger than a dinari. When he peered into it he thought he saw a faint light. He creased his brow, what on earth could that be? Suspiciously he regarded it, then comprehension dawned. He levitated himself again, soared over the cliff and landed on the other side. As he had suspected he found a little hole on that side too - the light he had seen had been the light of the afternoon sun. He whistled to himself.” Now, that was impressive!! That lightning pierced the entire cliff!”He smiled diabolically and fiddled absently with the crystal.” Well, Xerxes. If this little thing can burn a hole right through a rock, don't you think it can burn a few holes right through something else too? Something like Aladdin..?”The eel laughed a nasty laugh and nodded. Mozenrath looked at the crystal and curled his lips in a devilish smile. Then he began to laugh, a quiet chuckling first, then louder and louder until it drowned the silent sobbing of the wind and echoed out over the vast black dunes.

***

It was night. Above the black sand of the vast desert a clear and starry sky stretched outwards, towards eternity. The fullmoon shone with a clear silverlight. The pale moonbeams wandered over the desert - sad, lonely wanderers, without goal or reason. A silverbeam found it’s way through an open window and caressed the pale features of the Lord of the Black Sands. Unguarded in his sleep, his face assumed a peaceful, even vulnerable look, totally different from his usual harsh, arrogant expression. As the moonbeam gently touched his closed eyes he frowned and moved restlessly in his sleep as if it was something he should remember, but couldn't.

Far away from the dead city, somewhere in the black desert, another moonbeam was reflected in a pair of glowing red eyes. Scirocco looked up from his sleeping sisters and brothers, looked at the fullmoon. As a final sign of his freedom it shone, turned the dark sand to silver with it’s touch. Tomorrow he would face the sorcerer again. He shivered with excitement - he hadn't had a good hunt for a long time. He held no doubts how it would end.

Another city, far away from the black sands, lay sleeping under the stars. In the dark alleys and corners, dark events took place while the citizens slept in their beds. The cold, merciless moonlight lighted up the onion-domes of the palace of Agrabah. It made them glow with an ominous silver halo, as a presage of doom. A soft shade of purple rose at the horizon, chased away the darkness of night. Dawn was coming. And it was coming fast.

***

The air was hot and damp, sultry and heavy with tension. Aladdin paced in the empty throne-room of the royal palace. He rubbed his neck and felt his hair spark with static electricity. He was warm and uncomfortable. Genie had told him that the last of the prison-spell had disappeared almost twenty-four hours ago; Mozenrath could fall upon them at any time. When Genie first told him the spell was gone, Aladdin had thought that the sorcerer would come right away. But the day had passed and there was still no sign of Mozenrath. By now he was so tense and irritated, he almost wished Mozenrath would show up, just to get things over with. One thing he should have learned from meeting Genie was to be careful with wishes. Sometimes they might just come true.

***

The black Rolls Royce slowly came to a stop before the palace-gates. The door opened and Don Mozenrati stepped out, his black shoes shining and his dark suit irreproachably free from dust and sand. He threw away the butt of his cigar and stepped on it, crushed it under his heel. Behind his sunglasses his eyes took in the scene before him. He pulled out his gun and... What? What do you mean, 'wrong story’ ? This is 'Aladdin Capone’, right? No?! Are you sure?! Oops, sorry.. He he...

***

Aladdin walked through the garden. He had gone out, hoping to get some fresh air, just to find out that the air outside was just as stifling and hot as it was inside the palace. Disappointed he started to walk back towards the white marble buildings. He frowned and tried to get rid of the uneasy feeling that kept haunting him. Something just wasn't right. The sky was gloomy with clouds, perhaps it was the coming storm that caused the tension he felt? But no, that wasn't it. He sighed and reluctantly admitted to himself that he knew what it was that troubled him. Something made him look up when he approached the throne-room. Mozenrath stood there, leaning jauntily against a column and studied him. He smiled.” Hello Aladdin.”

***

The perpetual mists danced and swirled violently as something came rushing through it. Five somethings. The gigantic front gates of the Citadel was torn apart as if they were made of paper. The five wind jackals stopped short inside them, sniffed and searched for the sorcerer. But the place was deserted, not a living soul anywhere, only the surprised mamluks. Mausime caught one of them, tore of it’s arm and chewed. Suddenly she made a grimace and spit it out. Disgusted she shook her head and rubbed her nose with a slender paw.-Ugh! Those things are not fresh!-Mistral shook his emerald mane impatiently and looked around.-Well, where is that sorcerer of yours, Scirro?-Scirocco frowned and started through a doorway. His sisters followed him, sniffing the air.-I don't know. He should be here somewhere...--Then let’s find him!-As a storm of utter destruction they rushed through the Citadel. Torn books and grimoires, broken magical devices, shredded paintings and parchments littered the floor in their trail. Finally they stopped, once again right inside the gates.-He’s not here.- Tai-Fun said. The others looked disappointed, except for Scirocco who was sniffing the air again. Concentrated he followed the faint trace of magic in the air.-Scirro! didn't you hear me? He’s not here.-Scirocco turned with a carnivorous grin.-No. But I think I know just where to find him...-

***

” Why, Aladdin. Just the person I was looking for. How disappointing, now I won't have to tear down the whole city to find you. But that’s typically you, just spoil all of my fun...”Mozenrath pushed away from the column and walked over to Aladdin, looking down at him with contempt and vindictiveness burning in his black eyes. Aladdin glared at him and clenched his fists. He wished he had stayed with Genie and the others, but now it was too late. He faced the tall sorcerer, tried to look as cool and confident as Mozenrath did.” You can rant as much as you want, Mozenrath. I'm not afraid of you.”The sorcerer chuckled. Then, suddenly serious, he leaned closer to Aladdin and whispered;” Maybe not Aladdin. But I'll let you live just long enough to make you change your mind.”As fast and unexpected as a cobra’s attack he raised his hand and blasted the streetrat. Aladdin stumbled backwards, almost knocked unconscious. He fell and lay gasping for breath. A booted foot trampled the grass right in front of his face. With a gasp he looked up and met Mozenrath’s eyes. The sorcerer raised his hand again. Aladdin managed to roll out of the way as another blast exploded where he had just been. Somehow Aladdin stumbled to his feet and glared at the sorcerer. Mozenrath just laughed at him, enjoying himself thoroughly. Xerxes grinned and laughed hoarsely. Aladdin decided to try to make the sorcerer a little bit less self-confident. He snorted mockingly.” Is that the best you can do, Mozenrath?”His flowering feeling of hope died as the sorcerer started to smile slowly, a cold altogether evil smile.” Ahh, Aladdin. I thought you'd never ask...”

***

” Where’s Aladdin?”Princess Jasmine asked and looked at the little gang on her floor. Genie, Iago, Abu and Carpet sat huddled together over a bunch of maps. With teeny little tin soldiers marking the guards they worked on a full scale defense plan. As an extra touch they were all dressed in helmets and camouflage clothes. Iago peered at her between the branches of the entire shrub that Genie wore tied to his helmet.” I don't know. He’s probably off to eat or something while we are working our buts of to save the city, the deserter!”A sudden clap of thunder made them all turn. Then they slowly looked at each other.” That didn't really sound like thunder, did it?” Iago asked. The others shook their heads.” Actually, when I think about it, that sounded exactly as one of Mozenrath’s blasts.” he continued.” It came from the garden. Let’s go!” Jasmine shouted. She jumped up at Carpet, and she and Genie flew out through the window. Iago glanced at Abu.” Eh, why don't you join them? I'll stay here and work on our defense. I'll let you know if I come up with ..HEY! Let go!”

***

-Are you sure this sorcerer is as powerful as you thought, Scirro? This trail is broad enough for a one-week puppy to follow. Very clumsy work, indeed.--I said he was powerful. I didn't say he was clever. He has a very high opinion of himself, he probably wants to show he’s been here.-The wind jackals tsked and shook their heads. At the horizon the golden onion domes of the palace of Agrabah shimmered like yet another mirage, growing larger and larger, becoming more solid as they raced on.

***

” Well, if it isn't princess Jasmine! How kind of you to join us.”” Yeah. Kind” Xerxes echoed and laughed.She hung on to Carpet as it dodged a few of Mozenrath’s blasts. She frowned, she got the feeling he was only playing with her, that his attempts to hit her was only half-hearted. She spotted Aladdin and dived down to pick him up. Unfortunately that was exactly what the sorcerer expected her to do - the next blast hit the carpet with tremendous force and sent her flying forward, knocking Aladdin to the ground in the process. They went down in a tangle. Mozenrath laughed. Then suddenly Genie appeared, dressed in a super-man suit. He directed a magical blast towards the unprepared sorcerer. Mozenrath didn't even blink, he just raised his gauntleted hand to meet the blast, and when it hit it just seemed to disappear. Genie stared at him in disbelief.” HEY! You can't do that!”” Try me.”From the sorcerer’s hand a lightning flashed and hit the Genie. The light blinded Aladdin and he threw up his arm before his face to shield his eyes. When he opened them again all he saw was shimmering darkness. Slowly his vision cleared and he could see again. Where Genie had been a large crater had been blown. There was no trace of his blue friend. He stared at the spot, not able to believe what he saw. Mozenrath looked at them with heavy-lidded eyes.” Well, since we all seem to be here, perhaps this is a good time to start the annihilation. Any volunteers..? No? Oh, come on now, it won't hurt...”He smiled. It was a very unpleasant smile. Then his face assumed an expression of altogether false sadness and pity. He sighed.” Well, then I guess I'll have to start with your cute little city. Tragical. Well, say good-bye to Agrabah...”He levitated himself, soared high above them. He raised his arms, summoning his power. His Gauntlet began to glow, stronger and stronger until they could no longer look at him.Aladdin thought he saw a sudden movement in the corner of his eye. He turned and looked at the scarred crater. A very sooty Genie crawled up, panted and collapsed at the grass.” Genie! you're alive!” Aladdin shouted. He ran over to his friend and crouched beside him.” can't you do something!?” Genie shook his head dizzily.” No use...” he hissed. A wisp of smoke trailed from his mouth as he spoke.” I don't know where he got that power, but it’s too strong. There’s nothing I can do...”Jasmine stared at the sorcerer, then at her city. The city where she had grown up, the city of the people she loved, people who trusted her to protect them...” Nooo!!” she screamed helplessly, with tears running down her face. So here it ended. Mozenrath had won at last. Like a death-chant she could hear the storm’s howling in the distance. And then, as a gigantic wave of winds the storm fell upon the city with impossible force.

***

Totally taken by surprise, Mozenrath braced himself against the storm. The wind punched him this way and that, tugged at him and threw him around. Quickly he descended to the ground again. The onslaught ripped his turban of, tugged at his hair, whipped midnight-black curls against his face and blinded him. He staggered back, struggling to keep himself at his feet. It was is if the wind was a living creature, a predator that had chosen him for it’s prey and now fell upon him. The crystal he held was jerked from his hand by the impossible power of the wind. Desperately he dived after it, but missed it. The invaluable stone splintered against the white marble of a column. He barely shielded his face in time as the magical power in the crystal broke free in an explosion of pure power. He stumbled and fell to his knees. Immediately the wind increased, pressed it’s attack, howled insanely, as if sensing his weakness. There was something familiar about the sound, it sounded almost like...” Scirocco!” he gasped when he suddenly realized what it was. As if he had uttered a spell the wind died out and an eerie silence followed. Before him stood, not one, but five wind jackals. Emerald, silver, blood-red, gold and the all too familiar purple of Scirocco. Worst of all, they all smiled, predacious grins that revealed their sharp teeth. He swallowed hard in spite of himself. He managed to haul himself to his feet and recover some of his poise.” Scirocco! What are you doing here?! What do you want?”-Oh, I just wanted to talk a bit. Talk about broken deals, enslaving, exploitation and pain. Especially pain, I think that would be a very interesting subject...-The wind jackals grinned and stared menacingly at him. He started to back away, just to realize that Aladdin and the others still stood behind him. He was trapped. Xerxes hissed and hid himself under the sorcerer’s cloak. Mozenrath swore under his breath, this was not good, not good at all. The silver jackal closed in on him, growling, and the blood-red one followed. The sound sent shivers down his spine. These were wind jackals, creatures of the wild magic. He had been able to fool Scirocco once, and then enslave him with his magic, but they'd hardly trust him now - and five wind jackals was way beyond his abilities to control. He knew that they could tear him to shreds whenever they felt to. And they knew that he knew that. The only reason they hadn't already finished him was because they wanted to play, like cats with a mouse. Very big, magical cats. And a very helpless mouse. They grinned fiendishly and came closer. He realized that his only chance now was to run. If he was lucky they'd allow him a good start to make the hunt more exciting. If he ran like crazy he might even have a small, small chance to make it. With his gauntlet blazing and a desperate leap he shoved Aladdin out of his way and ran like crazy. Howling gaily the wind jackals started after him. He stumbled and fell, staggered to his feet and somehow managed to dodge the fangs of the golden one. Panic gripped him and he just ran, desperately jumping and ducking, to escape. Happily the jackals followed him, growling and snapping at him to make him run even faster.

***

Jasmine and Aladdin heard a whooshing sound and turned with a gasp as Scirocco landed. The beautiful, proud creature stood there before them, magnificent in his untamed wildness. For the first time it seemed as if he tried to, if not care about them, then at least understand them. He watched them with his ruby eyes and put his head on one side.-It looks as if we are seeing the beginning of the end of this tale.-The voice sounded without sound, they didn't as much hear as feel it, somewhere between the whisper of a breeze and the thunder of a storm, in their own minds. The jackal smiled.-You won't have to worry about the sorcerer any more. He will spend the next few months running.-Jasmine couldn't help smiling mischievously. She definitely wouldn't want to be in Mozenrath’s shoes when those wind jackals caught up with him. As if he had read her thoughts Scirocco’s smile widened, a toothy grin that intimated that Mozenrath had some difficult months ahead of him. The wind jackal stood there before them a few moments more, like a statue against the brilliant colors of the sunset. Then he leaped up, soared for a second and rushed away after his brothers and sisters. Like a roaring storm, a whirlwind finally released, he raced away over the desert howling with joy. He disappeared into the last blazing light and was gone.

THE END