Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Daughter Heir of Khalidarha by Khalidarha
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +

The Daughter Heir of Khalidarha



"I've been too long without my gauntlet." Mozenrath said suddenly, startling Letha from where she sat. They were playing a game of chess, and Letha was winning.

"Mozenrath..." Letha started, but he held up his hand.

"No. I can control it, Letha. I know what I'm doing. It's high time I get it back."

"I don't think..."

"No, you don't think. That's not what you're here for." Mozenrath said, moving a piece across the board. "You're here to serve me, however I deem fit. And I deem it fit that you retrieve my gauntlet for me, since it was you who took it."

"It will destroy you." Letha hissed, moving her piece without thinking.

"No it won't. What does it take to get a new idea through the fluffy blond head of yours? I can control the power of the gauntlet. That's all it is, really. A struggle for power. I'm stronger than it."

"What makes you think that?" Letha asked.

"Because I've been through it once. I've fought the gauntlet, or rather, I didn't fight the gauntlet. I gave myself over to it when I first put it on. But not now. Now I know what to do. I never make the same mistake twice."

"And how am I supposed to get it back, hmm?" Letha asked.

"Easy. I've already devised a plan. We will go to Agrabah, you as a princess of some far off land, and I will go as your retainer. Incognito, of course. You tell Aladdin and his pretty princess some story about how everything's all better now, and the bad man is gone, and you'd like your kingdom treasure back. It's s fool proof plan." Mozenrath said.

"So was the unicorn plan." Letha snapped, but bit her lip at the look Mozenrath gave her. "Fine. We'll do it your way. But if they don't hand it over, we leave. We don't stick around, we don't try to take it by force."

"I thought you said you're stronger now, that your body is used to the magic now?" Mozenrath asked.

"That's not the point." Letha growled. "If you want me to do this, then we do it on my terms."

"All right." Mozenrath said, lifting up an intricately carved chess piece. "But, if you fail..." He knocked her king of the board with a flick of his wrist. "Well, you get the picture."


***


Letha slipped into the extravagant gown she had devised for her charade. She was to be the Daughter Heir of Khalidarha, a far away, wealthy yet shy kingdom. She smoothed the dark red gown over her hips. It had a square neckline edged in gold and voilet, and long bell-sleeves edged in the same gilt. The waist was snug and iridescent, and flowed out to a long skirt with the same gold on the hem, and a diaphanous overskirt of gold. She threaded chains of amethyst through her hair, and allowed the golden tresses to fall free. She completed the effect with a necklace of onyx and gold, and turned for Mozenrath to see.

"Very nice." He drawled. "Very nice indeed."

"You like?" She asked, grinning.

"It's convincing." Was all he said. He was wearing the plain black trousers and tunic he had worn on their first trip to Agrabah together. Letha's face fell, but what could she expect? Mozenrath's moods ran hot and cold within a matter of minutes, but today he had been treating her like nothing more than a servant girl. It was beginning to get on Letha's nerves.

"I suppose that's the best I'll get out of you." She snapped, turning back to the mirror to adjust her hair.

"Right not I'm more concerned with you looking like royalty than anything else. I will not let you screw this up." Mozenrath said, putting his hands on Letha's shoulders. "I don't want to waste any more time. Take us to just outside the city gates."

"Oh, you're so polite." Letha snarled. "I know, I know, just do it." She raised her hands, and spoke the spell that transported them. Mozenrath flung up his hood as soon as they were there, and Letha held her head up high,

Remember who you are. What you are. Letha told herself. You are the Khalidarha. Now act like it.

She strode up to the gates, her shoulders thrust back, and her gait long and sure. She paused before the guards, and cleared her throat when they didn't immediately take notice of her.

"Um...yes?" The thin guard asked, looking at Letha.

"I request an audience with the ruler of this city." Letha said, letting arrogance drip into her voice.

"Uh...may I ask who you are?"

"Who am I?" Letha demanded. "Who am I? You ask me who I am?"

"Er, yes?" The guard offered. He was realizing Letha was someone of importance.

"I am Letharyia, Princess and Daughter Heir of the Land of Khalidarha." Letha said, tossing her head for emphasis. "And I demand you take me to the sultan now!"

"Yes milady." The guard said, bowing and scraping. "As you say milady."

"Humph." Letha said, sweeping after the guard. She heard Mozenrath chuckle behind her.


The walk to the palace was a relatively short one. Letha was aware of the people in the streets watching her as she passed, and she had to admit she liked the feeling. It was obvious to them that she was someone of importance.

"Wait here a moment, please." The guard said, speaking to a burly guard at the palace gates. Letha strained to here the conversation.

"Khalidarha? Never heard of it."

"But, Razoul, she must be let to see the Sultan. She is a visiting dignity."

"I suppose." The burly guard stepped forward. "I am Razoul, and I will take you to see the Sultan. Your Highness."

"Thank you." Letha said, and followed after the guard. She knew she was being watched, but she didn't care.

The Sultan's throne room was large, and impressive. It was brightly lit and spacious, and sun flowed in from various windows. It was the exact opposite of Mozenrath's.

"Razoul, what is this?" The sultan, a small plump man asked.

"I have come to speak with you, your highness." Letha said, moving forward and dropping a deep courtesy. "Or, in fact, I've come to speak with your daughter, the princess Jasmine."

"Jasmine? Well, yes. Um, who shall I say is calling?" The sultan asked.

"I am Letha, Princess and daughter Heir of Khalidarha." She said. "And I have met your daughter once before."

"Letha...of course." The Sultan said, with the air of one playing along so as not to look stupid. "Khalidarha. Lovely place, if I do say so myself. Razoul, go and fetch my daughter."

"Yes, your highness." Razoul bowed and left the room.

"Oh, do sit down, do sit down." The sultan said, indicating cushions spread about by his throne. "I'll have drinks bought for you and your...uh, your...?"

"Advisor." Mozenrath supplied.

"Of course." The sultan said, and Letha sat, indicating for Mozenrath to do the same. She was in control now.

"Thank you so much, Sultan." Letha said, taking the glass of fruit drink offered to her. Mozenrath declined. Letha made idle chat with the sultan until the princess entered, predictably with Aladdin on her heels.

"Father, you said someone was here to see me..." Jasmine trailed off as Letha rose and turned. Recognition was obvious on both their faces.

"Princess Jasmine." Letha said, gathering her skirts and walking quickly over to the princess. "How good to see you again."

"You." Jasmine whispered. "What are you...?"

"It's a long story." Letha whispered, taking jasmines hands in her own. "I told you I'd return." She said, louder.

"Of course. It's good to see you as well." Jasmine said, smiling. But her eyes were full of confusion.

"Jasmine, isn't it nice. Letha has come for a visit." The sultan said. "Will you be staying long? Oh you already told me. Yes, Jasmine show Letha and her advisor to their rooms. I'm sure you girls have so much to talk about."

"Of course Father." Jasmine said, and she hurried out, Letha on her heels.


***


Aladdin was in shock. He had had an idea from Letha's clothing that she was someone well off, but he had never thought her royalty. Why was she here now? The last time he had seen her, had left a strange silver box with them, to be protected at all costs.

He followed the two women and Letha's advisor to the most spacious of guest rooms the palace had to offer. Letha's face was set in a mask of arrogance, and Aladdin wondered why. She hadn't seemed that way the other two times he had met her.

"What's wrong?" Aladdin asked, as soon as the door had closed behind them. The hood of the advisor turned toward him, and Aladdin regretted speaking.

"Nothing's wrong." Letha said, and her face broke into a sunny smile. "The exact opposite, in fact."

"What's happened?" Jasmine asked. "Is it about...?"

"Yes." Letha said, sitting down. "I can't thank you enough for keeping it for me. It's y kingdoms treasure you know."

"You told us it was a weapon." Aladdin accused.

"It is." Letha said. "A very powerful one. It's a long story how it came to be in my kingdoms possession, but there was someone who wished to steal it from us. He would stop at nothing to get it back, and it was as if he could sense it, no matter where we hid it. Finally, he was defeated."

"I can take a few guesses as to who that was." Aladdin said.

"Yes, well. I'd like to take it home now, please." Letha said.

"Of course." Jasmine said. 'But please, stay here at least one night. You must be tired from your journey."

"Oh, we're fine, really..." Letha said.

"My lady, I must advise you against leaving now." The advisor finally said. "It is a long journey home, and we should rest."

Letha turned and stared at her advisor. Obviously she was not pleased with him contradicting her in public.

"If you're certain." She said carefully.

"Wonderful!" Jasmine exclaimed. "We'll let you rest. But, please, join us for dinner."

"Of course," Letha said, smiling. "Thank you again, for your hospitality."

"No problem." Aladdin said, taking Jasmine by the arm. "We'll see you at dinner."


***


"What are you doing?" Letha demanded as soon as the door closed. Mozenrath pushed back his hood and smiled.

"You're doing wonderfully." He said, ignoring her question. "I must say Letha, this is very nasty side of you. I like it."

"You didn't answer my question. What happened to get it and get out?"

"Oh, I have my reasons for wanting to stay." Mozenrath breathed deeply. There were things of great magic here, and he wanted to get his hands on them. He could hear the gauntlet, softly singing indiscernibly in his mind.

"I hope you know what you're doing." Letha said, crossing her arms and leaning back against a small table. "You complain about me messing things up..."

"Nothing's going to go wrong." Mozenrath said, putting his arm's around Letha. "Trust me."

"Hmm." Letha said, and Mozenrath smiled down at her. She really was wrapped around his finger, no matter what she told herself. "Why is it you only treat me like your lover when it suits you?"

"You do know how to ruin the moment, don't you?" Mozenrath said, standing back a ways. "My motives are my own, Letha, never forget that."

"I don't plan to." She turned hr back to Mozenrath, and the sorcerer sighed. He didn't understand women, and wasn't about to try now.

"Come on, Letha." Mozenrath said, putting his hands on her shoulders. "You know I've been tense lately. It's the gauntlet. Don't you worry about a thing."

"I can't help but worry when you tumble me into bed one night and the next day treat me like a disease." Letha said, her words colored with the anger she obviously felt. Mozenrath swallowed, not wanting to deal with this now. "And it isn't as if I do anything to drive you away." Letha continued. "What is so horrid about me that you're ashamed of me?"

Ashamed? The accusation threw Mozenrath for a loop. She thought he was ashamed of her? Where did she get that idea?

"I am not ashamed of you." Mozenrath said.

"What else can I think when you won't even hold my hand in the light of day?" She whirled on him, and Mozenrath was astonished to see tears in her eyes.

"I'm not ashamed of you." Mozenrath repeated. "But there are things I cannot afford to do right now. And falling in love with you is one of them."

At Letha's gasp, Mozenrath realized that perhaps that wasn't the best thing to say. Her violet eyes widened, and her mouth formed an O. Why did I say that? Mozenrath asked himself. "You will forget what I just said, do you understand?" Mozenrath asked, gripping her arms. "Do you understand?"

"Yes." Letha said softly. She lowered her head, and Mozenrath let go of her.

"Good. Now make yourself presentable for dinner. You'll have to cast a small illusion spell over me, just blur my features slightly." He turned from her and laid down on the bed. He wasn't planning on leaving her alone, not when so much was riding on her. Perhaps he'd catch a bit of sleep...


***


Letha ran a brush through her long golden curls, and began re-weaving the chain through her hair. Mozenrath was sleeping behind her, and her mind was a whirlwind of chaos. He loved her. Well, in a way. He was falling in love with her, and trying to stop himself. It had been so long...she cast her mind back, through her various lives and incarnations. The last man who had loved her...

"Ryan." Letha breathed the name, and her mind was able to call up the face that went with it. That had been so long ago. He hadn't even called on her, but she had found him. And he had died, as they all seemed to do.

"Who?" Letha heard a scratchy voice ask, and she turned to see Iago sitting on the window sill. "You're window as open, so I thought I'd drop on by. A princess, eh?"

"Yes." Letha said. "Among other things. What do you want?"

"To continue our conversation. You left me hanging there, you know."

"There's nothing to talk about." She hastily threw a small illusion over Mozenrath, hoping the parrot wouldn't recognize him.

"Oh yes there is. You said you knew the kid. What is he, royalty or something?" Iago hopped over to the dressed.

"Yes." Letha said, swatting at the parrot with a hairbrush. "Now leave me alone."

"Hey come on now, I think this is stuff I have a right to know. The kid owes me his life, you know."

"Would you be quiet!" Letha hissed.

"No, no." Mozenrath said, and Letha saw he had woken up. "Do let your feathered friend continue."

Mozenrath's sudden movement had thrown off the illusion spell ,and Letha made a slicing motion at her throat, but it was too late. Iago had turned around, and Letha had to grab his beak and hold it shut, lest he draw attention.

"What?" Mozenrath asked.

"The spell slipped." Letha said. "You should know not to move quickly while wearing an illusion. Now what do we do?"

"Kill the bird." Mozenrath said, shrugging.

"We can't kill the bird." Letha said.

"Why not?"

"You know damn well why not." Letha hissed. She felt Iago nodding in her hand. "Besides, he may be useful."

"Useful? How in the world could that feather duster be useful?"

"I know why you want to stay. The bird could lead us to what we want." Letha said.

"And what makes you think some silly parrot knows where Jafar kept his possessions?" Mozenrath asked, arching an eyebrow. Then Letha realized. Mozenrath had no clue who or what Iago was.

"Because this silly parrot used to be Jafar's familiar.' Letha said, saying the words slowly, and letting them sink in. Mozenrath eyed the bird, and nodded once, slowly.

"I see." He said. Letha would have given everything she owned to know what was going on in Mozenrath's mind at that moment. "Well. Isn't this an interesting turn of events."

"I'm going to let go of your beak." Letha told Iago. "If you make any noise, I will kill you. I value my life quite highly, thank you." She let go, and Iago began babbling.

"I know where all of Jafar's things are. I'll take you there right now, if you want. And I know how to get into the treasury, and I know..."

"Silence." Mozenrath said, and Iago shut up. "You're going to listen to me, and you're going to listen to me very carefully. For reasons that don't need exploring right now, I am going to spare your life. But you are not going to tell anyone I'm here, or why I'm here. Do you understand?"

Iago nodded. Letha let go of him completely, and the red bird fluttered his wings to settle his feathers.

"Sure thing." He said. "Uh, why are you here?"

"You are a very stupid bird." Mozenrath said, shaking his head. "We're here for my gauntlet."

"Your...the box! That's what's in the box." Iago said. "It make's sense now. Wait a minute...she stole from you, and she's still alive. Wow, you're a pretty charitable guy."

"I am not!" Mozenrath bellowed. "I do things for my purposes. And I'm subject to rapid changes of mind. Just do as your told." The sorcerer ran a hand through his hair and glared at the bird.

"Hey..." Iago said, and Letha followed the birds gaze to Mozenrath's right arm.

"It would be better not to ask." Letha warned, and met Mozenrath's stern glare with an amused one.

"Yeah...well, I'd better be going..."

"I think not." Mozenrath said. "You will remain here until dinner. Where we can keep an eye on you."


***


"We so rarely have company!" The Sultan burbled, clapping his hands together. Letha was just seating herself, next to Princess Jasmine. Her advisor sat beside her, and looked very uninterested in anything. Aladdin couldn't help but feel there was something familiar about him.

"So tell me, Letha, why come all this way with just your advisor?" The sultan asked. 'It seems a bit odd."

"Yes, it does." Aladdin said, string intently at the black-haired man, who glared right back.

"I trust him with my life." Letha said, shrugging.

"He must be some advisor, then." Aladdin pressed. Maybe it was just a general distrust of royal viziers, or maybe it was the insolent glare the advisor kept giving him, but Aladdin was going to find out all he could. "I don't think we got your name."

"Tahir." He said smoothly. "Though I don't see how my name effects my ability to serve."

"I was just wondering." Aladdin shrugged. "So...advising. How exactly does one get into that line of work?"

"Following in my fathers footsteps, actually." Tahir gave Aladdin a predatory grin. "He as a royal advisor as well."

"He must be very proud of you." Jasmine said, aware of the tension that was mounting.

"He's dead." Tahir said.

"I'm sorry." Jasmine responded.

"Don't be. But, enough about me." Tahir said, taking a sip of wine.

"Why?' Aladdin asked. "Hiding something?"

"This is an interesting dish." Letha piped up, indicating the curry on her plate. "It's quite enjoyable, don't you think Tahir?"

"Delicious." The advisor said dryly.

"Ah, have you any entertainment for us?" Letha asked, not allowing Aladdin to steer the conversation back to Tahir. He told Genie to keep an eye on the man, and Genie agreed. Aladdin watched the advisor eat, never letting his eyes leave the man. Then something odd hit him, and he brought it up in a break in conversation.

"Tahir, are you left handed?"

"Pardon?" Tahir looked down at his hands, as though confused.

"It's not exactly a stumper." Aladdin said. "Are you left handed?"

"No..." Tahir said. "Why?"

"Because you're doing everything with you left hand."

"It's because of the injury." Letha explained, while Tahir just stared at his hands dumbly. "Tahir recently injured his right hand. It's just healed, but he's gotten so used to using his left for everything."

"Uh-huh." Aladdin didn't quite believe her, and noticed that Tahir did not eat after his handedness was pointed out.



"That was a wonderful meal." Letha said, pushing her plate away. "I thank you, sultan. You're hospitality is well received."

"Oh, it was nothing really." The Sultan giggled. "Now, let us have some music!" He clapped his hands, and a small band began to play. Letha smiled, she had always enjoyed music.

"Dance with me?" Aladdin asked Jasmine, who of course consented. Letha sighed watching them together. It was obvious how in love they were.

"Er, have you a prince back home?" The Sultan asked.

"Who me?" Letha asked, for the question caught her off guard. "Not exactly." She said, smiling at the sultan. No, no prince. But I have a Mozenrath, so I suppose that counts for something.

"Where did you say you where from, again?" Letha turned her attention to the Genie who had joined them for dinner. She knew it was Aladdin's, and not bound by anything other than friendship.

"Khalidarha." Letha said, brightly. "You've heard of it? We're so small, it's always a pleasure to meet someone's who's heard of us?"

"Uh, no. Can't say that I have." The Genie apologized.

"Oh." Letha returned to watching Aladdin and Jasmine. She felt a pang in her heart, seeing the way they gazed into each others eyes. She didn't even realized she'd sighed until she noticed both the Sultan and the Genie looking away, embarrassed.

"Oh for..." Mozenrath mumbled. "Come on." He offered her his hand, and Letha looked up into his face, not understanding.

"What are you waiting for, a written invitation?" Mozenrath asked. "If you want to dance that badly, we'll dance."

"Oh." Letha rose, and lowered her head. He did care, and that was proof. She let him take her hand, and was surprised when he placed his other hand on her waste.

"You look surprised." He said, sweeping her out onto the floor.

"I never thought of you as the dancing type." She said, honestly.

"Yes, well." He shrugged, and slid his hand to the small of her back. He was a good dancer, light on his feet and graceful. Letha rested her head on his shoulder, breathing in his scent.

No matter what happens, I'll have this. She thought. No matter what he says, how many times he threatens me, or tells me he doesn't care, I'll know he's lying because of this.

She was disappointed when he pulled away before the song was over. She lowered her head, and mumbled thank you, before returning to her seat. Aladdin and Jasmine were still dancing, but Letha didn't watch them anymore.

"What did you do to him?" Iago asked, landing on Letha's shoulder and whispering into her ear.

"Wouldn't you like to know." She said, starting in on dessert. Aladdin and Jasmine sat down again, and the Sultan beamed at them.

"You're a lucky man." Letha said, addressing the portly ruler.

"OH? And how is that?"

"You know your kingdom will be well taken care of." Letha said. "Aladdin will surely run your kingdom wisely. Would that every ruler had that insurance." She cast a glance at Mozenrath, who was pretending not to listen.

"As I'm sure your father knows well." The sultan says. "Why, you will make a fine ruler. I can tell already."

"You think so?" Letha asked sweetly. "Thank you." She saw the genie whispering to Aladdin out of the corner of her eye, but couldn't hear what he was saying. She didn't think it boded well, since Aladdin shot a disbelieving look at Mozenrath.

"Well, it's been a pleasure, but the princess and I really must get our rest. Tomorrow's journey is a long one. Your highness?" Mozenrath rose, and offered his hand to Letha. She took it, smiling graciously.

"I thank you again. Jasmine, I'll speak with you in the morning, before I leave." Iago was still on her shoulder, and made no move to leave. "Ah yes, Iago. I promised you I'd teach you Khalidarhan poker. I'm sure we have time for a quick instruction before bedtime."

"Oh good." Iago said. "See you guys later."


"Show us." Mozenrath said as soon as they were away from prying ears.

"Follow me." Iago led them through the palace, to Jafar's secret lab. Which really wasn't too secret anymore, but hardly anyone went down there.

"Yes..." Mozenrath breathed. He could feel them, all the items of power. He said a word, and the torches flared to life.

"Look at it all." Letha breathed, and Mozenrath did. Books, scrolls, jewels, carvings, all radiating magic. It was almost enough to drown out the gauntlet, singing in his head.


"So, how's a girl like you get tangled up with a guy like Mozenrath?" Iago asked, watching as Mozenrath poured through the contents of Jafar's lab.

"Long story." Letha answered. "He's not going to leave you here, you know."

"What?" Iago asked.

"There's too great a risk you'll tell."

"You mean he's gonna kill me?"

"No. He told you he'd spare your life, and he meant it." Letha said, inspecting the contents of a drawer in front of her. Her fingers brushed passed a small, red stone and pain coursed through her entire body...


Mozenrath bolted to Letha's side when he heard the starts of her scream. He clamped a hand over her mouth, and held her tightly. She was writhing and clawing at him, and tears streamed out of her eyes.

"What happened?" Mozenrath demanded of the bird.

"I don't know! She must have touched something." Iago said, looking into the drawer. "Uh-oh."

"What?" Mozenrath fixed his hard, black eyes on Iago.

"If she's got magic, we're in big trouble." Was all the bird said.

"What did she touch? What's happening to her?"

"The Gem of Samara. It drains magic." Iago said, pointing a toe at a small red stone.

"No..." Mozenrath breathed, looking down at Letha. Her clawing and twitching had stopped, but she was still shaking. "She's not...?"

"I don't know." Iago said.

"Damn it, no!" Mozenrath said. "You are not going to die on me. Not after I've put so much effort into you." Not after you've made me fall in love with you! No wonder Destane had spoken so scornfully of love, why Letha had been cursed the way she was. All it brought was pain.

"If you die, I will summon your spirit back and torment it for all eternity!" Mozenrath threatened, but his voice was ragged.

"Not exactly what I was looking for, but I guess it's better than nothing." Letha whispered hoarsely, and Mozenrath crushed her too him. He was thankful she was alive, and upset she had caused him such fear.

"Damn you." He said, and heard Letha chuckle. "What happened?"

"It was like...It was like I was being turned inside out." Letha said, shivering. "It's gone. All of it."

"What's gone?" Mozenrath asked, cold dread gripping his heart.

"My power. It's gone."



Letha felt empty inside. She was freezing, and her bones were on fire. Her magic, that which made her what she was had been ripped savagely out of her. She felt like she wanted to die.

"Damn you." She heard the words again, and understood what they meant. In his own way, Mozenrath was telling her he loved her. And he hated her for it. She opened her eyes, aware that tears were still pouring out of her.

"Your power can't be gone." She heard Mozenrath say. "You'd be dead if it were."

"No. It's gone. I think I'd know." She clutched his arms, too weak to support herself.

"We have to get you out of here." Mozenrath said, and she felt him lift her up. "Iago, is there a way to get to our rooms without being seen?"

"Of course there is. It wouldn't be a real palace without secret passages, would it?"

"Don't anger me. Just lead us." Mozenrath held Letha close, and she buried her face against his chest. She was tired, and hurt so badly. She tried to stop crying, she hated crying. It was dark, wherever they were.

"Almost there." She heard Iago promise. She wanted to sleep. It would so nice to sleep...

"We're losing her, Iago." Mozenrath cursed. Suddenly, there was light. Letha was placed on something soft, and she squeezed her eyes shut.

"Don't.' Mozenrath warned. "If you go to sleep, you'll die."

"No I won't." Letha promised. "I'm so tired."

"Sit up!" Mozenrath commanded, and helped her to a sitting position. "Stay awake."

"I can't..." Letha said, her eyes slipping closed. Mozenrath slapped her cheek gently, and she forced her eyes open. She felt the smallest of spells, giving her strength. She shivered, despite the warm breeze.

"Just stay with us. I won't lose you now."

"But I don't have any power..." She stopped when she saw the look in Mozenrath's eyes. Pain and anguish, and she understood. She quieted down, and focused on staying awake.


"So that's what he was hiding." Jasmine said, nodding as Genie explained. "And that's why she brought her advisor."

"What's a girl like Letha doing with a sleezeball like Tahir?" Aladdin wondered aloud.

"Well, there's no evidence he's a bad person." Jasmine said. "You did bate him, Aladdin."

"I suppose so." He shrugged. "Well, we better go get the box for her. Though, I still think it's weird she wants it back. She was desperate to get rid of it."

"I know." Jasmine said. "It seemed to cause her pain."

"I still think something's up." Aladdin said.

"We'll find out in the morning." Jasmine assured him.


***


It was a difficult night. Mozenrath did all he could to keep Letha awake until what he judged to be the danger period passed. Only then did he allow her to get any rest. When she finally settled into a shallow sleep, Mozenrath leaned back in his chair, and sighed.

"She gonna be okay?" Iago asked.

"It's too soon to tell." Mozenrath turned on the bird. "If you tell..."

"...anyone about this, I'm dead. Yeah, I get the picture." Iago said. "You're uh, pretty attached to her, aren't you?"

"My attachments are none of your affair." Mozenrath snapped. "Not anymore."

"Excuse me?" Iago asked.

"Nothing." Mozenrath waved his hand dismissivly. "Without her powers, I'm a dead man. She can't restore me, nor give me strength."

"Uh, I don't know if you've noticed, but you don't have your magic glove anymore." Iago pointed out.

"But I will. It's calling me. I could point to it now. Once the gauntlet has been in your mind, it always is. That's the price for power."

"Seems like kind of a lousy trade off."

"To you, perhaps." Mozenrath said.

"So, if you got rid of it, and you have a real hand instead of a halloween prop...why do you want it back?"

"Because it won't let go of me." Mozenrath said, and there was the slightest trace of sadness in his voice.

"Well, no offense, but you look like death warmed over. Get some sleep." Iago suggested.

"No." Mozenrath said. "I'm not tired."

"Sure." Iago said, settling down on a pillow. "Whatever you say."


***


"They're gone!" Aladdin called, looking around the guest room for any sign of Letha or Tahir.

"What do you mean, gone?" Jasmine asked.

"They're gone." He repeated.

"But they didn't get what they came for." Jasmine said, confused.

"Where's Iago? Maybe he knows something about it. He was with them last night." Aladdin suggested. A quick search showed the bird was missing as well.

"I knew something was wrong." Aladdin said.

"But what could have happened?" Jasmine asked.

"I don't know." Aladdin sat down, sighing. "I don't know. But I intend to find out!"


To be Continued.....