Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Sins of the Father by Khalidarha
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The standard, trademark disclaimer. A good hunk of these characters are not mine, I am making no money off of this, and all that jazz.


Dedication: To me, because I need it, and to everyone who will read it.



Sins of the Father


It was an expansive kingdom, known for it's wine and it's casinos. It was no surprise that the money-loving parrot Iago had found his way there after fleeing the Land of the Black Sand. He regretted leaving Letha, but he wasn't going to stay in a place with both Mozenrath and Jafar, even if one wouldn't kill him out of some warped sense of honor and the other was imprisoned.

"This is the life." Iago sighed,. He was sitting at the bar of an expensive casino, plenty of coins on his person. He knew he couldn't go back to Agrabah. They'd want to know where he'd been, and they'd get the truth out of him. He took a sip of his fruit drink, happy to be able to relax door a while.

"Ah, Mergetzio." The barkeeper said, as a dark skinned man in a large blue turban sat next to Iago. "How have your travels been?"

"Quite interesting, Fegal, quite interesting." Mergetzio responded. "I shall tell you all, over a glass of camels milk."

Iago made a face, wrinkling his beak at the mans selection. What kind of a whacko drank camel's milk? Besides of course the one sitting next to him.

But the parrot was curious as well. He had been living in the lap of luxury-as he liked to put it-for months now, and hadn't heard so much as a whisper of adventure. He hated to admit it, but Iago was starting to miss it.

"Well?" The bartender asked. "You must have some story. Do tell!"

"Not so much a story, as interesting news." Mergetzio said, drinking his camel's milk in one gulp. "There is much going on in the kingdom of Agrabah."

"Agrabah?" Iago couldn't keep his mouth shut. He turned to Mergetzio, fully intrigued now. "What's going on in Agrabah?"

"A princesses naming ceremony, and a wedding."

"Aladdin and Jasmine are getting married? And they had a daughter?" Iago nearly shrieked. He couldn't believe it. It made no sense. Al and Jasmine wouldn't have a kid until they were married...

"No. Not the princess and her fiancé. That is what is so strange. It is the dark sorcerer king, and his bride."

"WHAT???" Iago nearly fell off of his chair. He had to have heard wrong.

"Yes. Mozenrath, Lord of the Land of the Black Sands is in Agrabah. His child was born, and now he is to take its mother as his queen. Why they are in Agrabah...." Mergetzio shrugged. "That, I could not tell you. But the princess herself announced the naming ceremony. Though how many rulers will acknowledge the daughter of Mozenrath..."

"That doesn't make any sense!" Iago cried. "I'm threatened with death if I go back to Agrabah, because I might let something slip, and now Mr. Magic himself and his very deluded little woman go themselves? And everyone is okay with this? What did I miss!?!"

"That is odd, my friend." The barkeep agreed. "I suppose our king is to go to the ceremony? I wonder is he will acknowledge the child."

"I doubt it. I think only the sultan of Agrabah will, and at what cost?" Mergetzio shrugged. "Nothing makes much sense anymore. Princesses marry street rats. Evil sorcerers are allowed to stay as honored guests. Perhaps next in Agrabah, people will marry camels."

Iago couldn't take it anymore. He did have a certain sense of responsibility towards Mozenrath, and Letha, and certainly Aladdin. And since they were all in the same place...

Something is up. And I was starting to think I missed adventure? The parrot shook his head, and placed a coin on the bar to pay for his drink. Then he shook out his wings and began the journey back to Agrabah.


***


"Is everything in preparation?" Lord Mozenrath, of the Land of the Black Sands was pacing the length of the sultan of Agrabah's throne room. His hands were clasped behind his back, and a look of frustration and irritation marred his handsome features.

"I assure you, Mozenrath, all is in readiness." The sultan of Agrabah said. The small, plump man was still nervous having the sorcerer in his palace.

"And invitations were sent out?"

"Yes. I oversaw the sending myself."

"Nothing can go wrong." Mozenrath paused in his pacing and eyed the sultan. "They will recognize her, won't they?"

"Well, I cannot speak for everyone..." He sultan said, nervously. There was very little chance that Mozenrath's daughter would be accepted by the other rulers.

"They must acknowledge her!" Mozenrath barked. "I am ruler of one of the most powerful kingdoms in the known world. She is my daughter, and they will recognize her as such!"

"Well, you must understand that some will see her as a threat." The sultan explained. "Mainly because they see you as a threat. If she isn't acknowledged, she won't be your rightful heir."

The sorcerer resumed his pacing, his boot heels echoing in the large chamber. It was a very tricky and delicate situation.

"There must be a way!"

"I am sorry." The sultan apologized. "But there is very little we can do, save hope."

"You will acknowledge her." It was a statement, not a request. The sultan hadn't even considered what he'd do. Considering Mozenrath was unpredictable, and seemed to be a foul temper lately...

"Of course I will." The sultan assured the sorcerer. "I wouldn't dream of doing other wise. But I'm just one ruler..."

"But you will set the precedence. With luck, others will follow your lead."

"With luck..." The sultan repeated weakly. He wished that Mozenrath would just leave. Letha and the baby could stay, they were both delightful! And the only reason that Mozenrath was allowed in the palace. If Letha wasn't Jasmine's friend...

As if on cue, the tall blond woman entered the throne room. She looked healthier than when she had first been brought, her skin flushed and her hair thick. She was dressed in a simple dress of dark red, and her hair was tied back in a simple braid.

"You're here." She said, her eyes focusing immediately on Mozenrath.

"Of course I'm here." Mozenrath snapped, and the sultan flinched. That a man could speak that way to the mother of his child...

"I wish to speak to you." Letha continued, seeming to not notice Mozenrath's harsh tone. "It's a rather important matter actually."

"Yes, yes, go on!" Mozenrath said, crossing his arms and glaring at Letha. "I'm a busy man, and the sultan and I have much to discuss."

"Er...we do?" The sultan piped up. He had thought the conversation ended.

"Of course." Letha said smoothly. "I just wanted to remind you of your promise."

"Promise?" The sorcerer's tone was dry, and a bit hesitant.

"Yes. You promised me a wedding, after the child was born. She has been born, and I will not have the naming ceremony until we're properly wed."

The sultan flushed, and had to struggle to keep his jaw closed. That such a wonderful young woman would want to marry Mozenrath! What was wrong with the girl?

"I did." It was a statement, not a question.

"And I will hold you to it." Letha cocked her head to once side. "Nothing fancy, I assure you. Just a simple ceremony."

"We haven't time for anything fancy." Mozenrath snapped. It was obvious he was trying to gain the upper hand.

"Technically, the Sultan can perform the ceremony. In a legal capacity, and that's really all that matters. I doubt we could find a priest of our religion within this city. Your majesty, would you mind?" Letha turned her violet eyes to the Sultan.

"Oh, well, of course not." He said. "Something quick...yes, I can do that."

"Fine." Mozenrath said. "You will have your wedding. I suppose I can spare a few moments this afternoon."

"That's all I ask." Letha smiled graciously, bowed her head, and exited the throne room. The Sultan's eyes followed her as she walked, unable to understand what she was doing with Mozenrath. If it was because of the child...well, no one would dare say anything to her, she was royalty in her own right! And she could always claim to be a widow.

"And may I ask why you are staring at my bride to be?" Mozenrath drawled, his black eyes fixed on the Sultan.

"What? Oh! Delightful woman." The sultan mumbled. "Absolutely delightful. A definite treasure."

"Humph." Was all Mozenrath said. "If you will excuse me...I have a small matter I must attend to. I will return in one hour, and the marriage will commence." The sorcerer turned on his heel and stalked out of the throne room. The sultan chewed at his lower lip nervously. But...the sooner everything was done with, the sooner Mozenrath would be gone!


***


"I want him gone." Aladdin said to Jasmine. "I don't trust him at all."

"And what are we supposed to do? The Citadel is no place for Letha or the baby." Jasmine protested.

"I didn't say I wanted them gone. Just Mozenrath."

"One won't leave without the other."

"I don't buy that. I'd bet you anything, you separate Letha from him and she'd realize he was controlling her somehow."

"I don't think so, Aladdin. When you and Mozenrath were in that place, and she was here...there was no change."

"I just don't understand." Aladdin sighed, and scrubbed his hand over his face.

"Neither do I." Jasmine said, shaking her head. "But...there are plenty of people who don't understand what I saw in a street rat."

"Don't you try to compare!" Aladdin snapped, with more force then he'd meant. That was different. Mozenrath was evil, everyone knew that. "It's different, and you know that."

"No, I don't." Jasmine said. "Love lets you see things other people can't. Isn't it conceivable that there's some good in even Mozenrath?"

"Well if there is, I haven't seen any sign of it." Aladdin crossed his arms in a petulant gesture. Jasmine shook her head sadly.

"There's nothing we can do." She said. "Except do our best to keep Letha safe. Now come on. I promised Letha I'd visit her and the baby."



***


Oh what a tangled mess. Letha sighed, resting her chin on her hands. The baby was sleeping in her bassinet, cooing every so often. A few moments of his time this afternoon. What arrogance. How many faces does that man have? More then a seven-headed jackal, if you ask me. I'm the one to blame, really. If I hadn't fallen in love with him...

But she had. And now she had to deal with it. This is what happened to humans. They fell in love, they had families. And she knew what would happen at the naming ceremony. None would recognize the child. Of course, that meant for little. Technically, Mozenrath had no right to the throne he inhabited. He would raise the girl as his heir no matter the outcome of the ceremony. Why did it even matter? Since when had he cared the least what the other kingdoms thought?

He is not the man who first summoned you. Letha reminded herself. Mozenrath had changed some, in an odd indefinable way. It didn't matter much to Letha. Except that it did. She had changed as well, and not just because she had taken matters into her own hands and wished for humanity.

The door of her room burst open, and Mozenrath strode in, his face a mask of annoyance. Letha rose smoothly, her head titled to one side. Her sorcerer lord just cast her a glare, and tossed down a pouch.

"You're upset." Letha said.

"I applaud your powers of perception, my dear." Mozenrath snapped. Letha placed her hands on her hips, and arched an eyebrow.

"That you should be so upset on our wedding day...?"

"It means nothing, and you know that." Mozenrath said. "It's nothing but a meaningless ceremony so that our daughter isn't considered a bastard."

"Our wedding means nothing to you?" Letha's brow furrowed in confusion. The words hurt her, and her stern glare lost quite a bit of its sternness.

"Letha, an official marriage changes nothing." Mozenrath said, rummaging through a drawer. "We will continue living in the way we have, without break. I see no reason why standing in front of a dimwitted sultan while he jabbers nonsense at us should mean anything."

"I understand." But she wasn't satisfied. "What are you looking for?"

"A bit of parchment...damn, I don't think I brought it." He slammed the drawer, and the pouch on top rocked.

"Was it very important?"

"No. It was inconsequential." He picked up the pouch and reopened the door, shoving it inside. He said a few words over the drawer. Locking it magically.

"May I ask what you're keeping in the same room our baby sleeps?" Letha wanted nothing dangerous anywhere near her daughter.

"My father." Mozenrath said, straitening his turban. "I can't leave him lying around for anyone to find."

"Oh." Letha edged cautiously away from the drawer. The trapped genie made her nervous, even though Mozenrath swore that he had Jafar under complete control.

"Do relax." Mozenrath said. "You have no reason to act that way. Now. Are we going to get married or not?"


***


The ceremony was simple and short. This was mainly for two reasons. Neither Mozenrath or Letha were very big on ceremony, and the sultan was rather nervous performing the whole affair. But vows were exchanged, of a sort. The word love didn't appear at all. And oddly enough, neither did the word obey. But it was most definitely a wedding.

"Ahem. I now pronounce you man and wife." The sultan said. "You may...er...kiss the bride..." He honestly wasn't sure how that would work, since the only physical contact he had seen between Mozenrath and Letha was sometimes he would grab her arm. But the couple turned to one another, and Mozenrath leaned over and pressed his lips briefly and gently to his new bride's. There were no guests, save for a scribe to act as witness and record the marriage.

"Well now." The sultan said, clapping his hands. "Congratulations." It was the right thing to say.

"Thank you." Mozenrath said, nodding his head to the sultan. "Now, if you will excuse me...I must prepare for tomorrow."

The naming ceremony was the next day. A few nobles had shown up already, though none were pleased. The sultan was doing all he could to cajole and convince them to name the girl heir. It would be in everyone's best interest to do so...

"It's going to be a disaster tomorrow, isn't it?" Letha asked, looking after her new husband.

"I fear so." The sultan said, sadly. He took Letha's hand and patted it. "I fear so."


***


Iago flew into Agrabah under cover of darkness. He was able to glide over the city, and into the palace itself. He had heard more rumors as he traveled, and all were the same. Mozenrath and Letha were in Agrabah. And there was something about a naming ceremony for a baby...

Well, there was certainly something going on at the palace tonight. Lights were on everywhere, and there seemed to be a large amount of foreign dignitaries wandering around. Iago moved quietly, not wanting to be spotted by anyone who knew him. He didn't really feel like explaining where he'd been, and his brain wasn't up to making up a good lie.

Whoa, wait! There was Mozenrath, walking briskly down the hall with what looked like the Caliph of Nebrezia. They were engaged in an animated discussion of some sort, but neither man looked upset. Iago ducked behind a vase, listening...

"...really seems far more beneficial." The Caliph was saying.

"One would think so." Mozenrath answered. "But I've found that crystal balls are really reliable. Not for real scrying. Oh, they're fine at parties, but if you really want to divulge the future, runes are much more accurate. If you have someone who can read them, of course..."

They were discussing fortune telling? Something was wrong. Letha would know. She was about as sane as anyone who lived with Mozenrath could be. And she'd be here somewhere...

It didn't take Iago long to find her. She had a presence about her, a sort of aura that was impossible to miss. The red parrot winged his way into her room, exhausted.

"Iago!" Letha exclaimed, as the parrot fell onto her bed.

"Ahc! I'm so tired..." Iago gasped. "What the hell is going on around here?" He screamed, flapping his wings agitatedly.

"What?" Letha asked. "Calm down." She held him gently, looking him strait in the eye. "What is the matter? And where have you been?"

"Doesn't matter." Iago said. "What are you two doing here? Last I checked, Agrabah had a death warrant for your homicidal honey!"

"It's a long story." Letha said. "We had to come here. I was sick, it was the pregnancy. Long story short, everything's fine now and my daughter's naming ceremony is tomorrow. Mozenrath is trying to ensure she'll be accepted tomorrow."

"So that's why him and the Caliph were being all buddy-buddy." Iago said. "I get it. But...you know what, I don't care." He suddenly noticed the bassinet. "That the kid?" He asked, jerking his head.

"Yes. That's our daughter. I suppose she's related to you in some twisted way." Letha said, rising. Iago flapped over and perched on the edge of the bassinet, looking down at the baby inside.

"She looks a lot like her dad." Iago said, and his voice indicated that was not a good thing. "Come to think of it, she looks a bit like her grandfather too..."

"She was supposed to be a boy." Letha said, shrugging. "She comes from a long line of male sorcerers. The blood is strong in her."

"That's not something to be proud of." Iago said.

"Maybe not in your opinion." Letha snapped. "I understand your feelings towards my husband and his father, but I'd appreciate if you didn't voice them around me."

"Sorry! Don't get your amulets in a knot or nothing." Iago ruffled his feathers, and hopped over to the night table. "So...this naming ceremony...how do you think it's gonna go down?"

"I don't know." Letha sighed, and sank down onto the bed. "I really don't know. Hopefully..." She shook her head, and lay back. "We'll know tomorrow. I need to rest. Mozenrath will take care of things. He can be charming, I know that. He an win them over. He has to!"


***


The day of the naming ceremony dawned dark and cloudy. This was not regarded as a good sign. Letha rose before the sun, and stood before the window, watching as the sky lightened from black to grey...and stayed grey.

"What are you doing?" Mozenrath asked, when he awoke and saw her there.

"Just watching the sunrise." She said, sighing. "It's almost time for the ceremony."

"I know." He rose, and wrapped his arms around Letha, his eyes looking out over the city. "It will be fine."

"It has to be." Letha said, squeezing Mozenrath's hand. "I'm going to get ready." She pulled away, and busied herself with preparations. Mozenrath went to the baby, still amazed that this precious little thing was his. And he remembered what he had had to do to save both her and Letha...

Don't think about it. He told himself. What's done is done, and cannot be changed. He sighed, and lifted up his daughter. Today he would present her to people who would either accept her, or reject her. And in doing so, himself and his power.

"We don't have much time." Letha said, smoothing her dark skirts. "Everyone's probably ready by now."

"Hmm." Mozenrath said, nodding. The ceremony would take place in the throne room. If all went well, the baby would be presented to all of Agrabah from the balcony.

"Would you like me to carry her?" Letha asked, and Mozenrath shook his head.

"No, I will." He held her close, and walked slowly through the halls of the palace, Letha walking a small distance behind him. What could she be thinking, he wondered. He often wondered what went on inside her head, but never for long.

The baby shifted in his grip, and he bit his bottom lip. His daughter. His child. It was overwhelming. But...prophecies had a way of fulfilling themselves...

"It's time." Mozenrath wasn't even sure who was speaking. He felt odd, light and dizzy. He entered the throne room, holding the child. He saw all of the kings and nobles, seated in a circle. He stood in the middle of them, and held up his daughter.

"Her name..." He said, holding her high for all to see, "...is Shakira." It had been his mother's name. He swallowed hard, and handed the baby to the Sultan, who took her gently.

"Her name is Shakira." The sultan repeated, acknowledging the child and her heritage. Mozenrath held his breath until the sultan passed this girl to the caliph, who took her and repeated her name. The sorcerer clenched his fists, barely breathing. Had it worked? Another ruler, and then another said Shakira's name, and Mozenrath could barely contain his glee. Then, the door to the throne room burst open, and a strange man entered.

He was tall and large, heavily muscled through his chest and shoulders. His hair was jet black, and hung in shaggy curls to his shoulders. His skin was the color of amber, and he wore a black loincloth around his slim waist. His eyes were like onyx, black and hard.

"What is the meaning of this?" The sultan demanded, scrambling up. "I demand to know..."

"Be quiet!" Mozenrath snapped. His eyes narrowed at this stranger, and every muscle in his body tightened.

"What's going on?" Someone demanded, but Mozenrath gestured for silence. He had a feeling he knew what was going on.

"Leave this place!" He growled, struggling to keep himself from shaking.

"NO." The man's voice was deep and booming.

"You're not welcome here!" Mozenrath yelled. He could hear the noises of confusion behind him, and the thin wail of Shakira crying.

"A DEAL HAS BEEN STRUCK. I UPHELD MY END, YOU MUST UPHOLD YOURS."

"Not yet." Mozenrath pleaded. "Not now!"

"What's going on?" That was Letha. Her voice had a hysteric note to it. She knew. How could she not?

"GIVE ME THE CHILD."

"No!" Letha and Mozenrath screamed as one. Mozenrath stepped back, standing protectively in front of Letha. "I won't let you take her."

"YOU HAVE LITTLE CHOICE. I AM TAKING THE CHILD."

"Mozenrath...that's him, isn't it?" Letha gripped his arm, and Mozenrath took her hand.

"Yes." He admitted. "Kamzrael."

"The dark god is here for our daughter!" Letha was crying, and there was nothing Mozenrath could do. "You gave him out daughter?"

"I had to!" He hissed raggedly. "I'll explain later..." Time seemed to stop. One moment there was confusion and noise, and then there was darkness and silence, then the child and the dark god were gone.


TO be continued