Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Chess by Silvestris
[Reviews - 1] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

I took the road of least resistance, I had my game to playI had the skill, and more - the hunger. Easy to get away

Pity the child, but not forever, not if he stays that wayHe can get all he ever wanted, if he's prepared to pay

Emptiness, darkness, silence... The faint twinkling of distant stars is the only light here. The asteroids tumble through the empty space, gigantic rocks that swirl in complex patterns, a miniature galaxy's dance in this black hole in space and time. Then, like a divine revelation, an image of dark beauty in the emptiness, the large sphinx-shaped palace comes into view, the rock it's resting on approaching slowly. An image of immortal, eternal power. The two great fires are flaming and blazing, their dancing flickering light playing over the stone, making the gigantic sphinx come alive...The powerful magic of the enchanting scene is suddenly torn apart - a raging voice cuts through the air, the tranquillity ripped apart like silk.

"I've gone through years of pains and labor to make you the magician you are today, preparing you to join me with your power - and now you say no?! I order you to do it. You can't refuse to obey me.""Watch me. I don't owe you anything.""'You don't owe me anything'...? You owe me everything! You're my son! You wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for me!""Feelings, mother...? After all the years you taught me how to despise and exterminate my feelings, you expect me to help you out of loyalty? I'm not some tool you can pick out and dust off when handy.""I won't let years of preparations slip out of my hands!""Sorry to disappoint you. You made Destane drag me through years of hell, made me study the dark arts from dusk till dawn, preparing me, as you so eloquently put it, to become another of your mindless servants, another pawn to further your plans. However, you forgot that I have a will of my own. And now, to tell the truth, I don't need you anymore.""How dare you! After all the work I've gone through to make you a powerful sorcerer...!""The work you've gone through?!? When did you last sit up all night reading old, dusty books till your eyes bled! When did you have to follow the sick whims of a senile old madman to please him enough to make him teach you anything useful?!"He took a deep breath, forcing himself to calm down."I'm my own master now. I won't give up my freedom and power to serve anyone again. And definitely not you."

Mirage studied him, and suddenly smiled what was supposed to be a motherly smile. Her voice got cajoling, reassuring..."Maybe you think you know all you need to know, but you still have a lot to learn. If you agree on contributing your magic to amplify my power, I could show you things you haven't even dreamt of! Divine arts no human sorcerer..."He rolled his eyes in disgust and interrupted her."Oh mother, please. Don't be ridiculous. Once, maybe, you could have made me believe such things, but not anymore. I'm the most powerful sorcerer of our age and you know it."She scoffed and eyed him with haughty contempt."Comparing yourself with the puny mortals, are you? Just shows how 'great' you really are. With your heritage, you could have been the ruler of the Seven Deserts by now!""Oh, really?! I've conquered the Land of the Black Sand all by myself, and the others will follow soon enough!""'Conquered'...? Don't make me laugh! You rather stole it by double-faced treason and petty back-stabbing. Destane didn't stand a chance.""Destane got what he deserved. That perverted, utilizing old vulture..."He broke off and his hands clenched involuntarily at the arms of the chair.Mirage gave him a soft, smug look filled with false pity."That still hurts, doesn't it...? Having to learn to obey and play humble goes hard on haughty pride. Sometimes I wonder how you can possibly be my son, sensitive as you are. You know there's always a price to pay for the power.""I know," he said shortly, his voice hard."Ah, well. You were never good at following orders either. He had such problems to make you do as you were told...""Some of my revered master's orders weren't very pleasant to follow. Can we talk about something else?"She smiled maliciously at him."Of course, darling. I wouldn't want to upset you.""Of course not.""But you know, you really should concentrate more on this conquering of the Seven Deserts of yours. No one will take you seriously if you don't. So far, all the results I've seen are some quite embarrassing disastrous defeats on your part."Mozenrath bristled and glared at her, his eyes blazing. "Why, look who's meowing. I can't remember when you last managed to conquer a country. How many times have you failed to conquer or destroy Agrabah by now...?"He gave her a smile that could have been taken directly from 'Jaws'."You do know that there are people calling you 'petty annoyance incarnate', don't you..?"Her glowing cat's eyes flamed and she slashed at him with her sharp claws. He ducked with practiced ease and tsked."Losing your grip, mum...?"She growled deep in her throat."Dear son, I really don't think you if anybody should be mentioning Agrabah. You've failed so miserably in taking over the place. Aladdin has really made you look ridiculous. Just consider Dagger Rock...or the 'Scirocco incident'...""Then what about that nice obelisk of yours? Or Chaos' visit...?""I could have conquered Agrabah, if I had only been a little bit more interested in really succeeding instead of only playing with them!""Sure.""Don't you dare being sarcastic to me! I bet I could conquer or destroy Agrabah within the next 24 hours!"He cocked an eyebrow at her."What an interesting idea. How much are you willing to bet...?"She suddenly realized what she had said. She gave him a flat look."A lot more than you can put up with.""Don't be too sure. Watching you make a complete fool out of yourself would be worth quite a lot to me. How much..?""Arrogant brat! Are you challenging me?""No, I'm discussing the weather. Do you want to back out? You don't dare to stand by your words...?"She hissed at him, her pupils thin slits in her balefully glowing eyes."I will conquer Agrabah before sunset tomorrow, and you'll pay for your arrogance by becoming my obedient servant, young man - using your magic as I order you to! If loyalty won't do it, respect will!""And what are your stakes...? The same? If I win, will you dance to my tune for a change?""Since I'll make sure you won't win, I can risk anything. If that's what you want to sacrifice your freedom yearning for, I don't care."He gave her a thin smile, watching her with heavy-lidded eyes."Fine - then go ahead and make your first move in this game of chess..."Well, do get started mother dear. Time's ticking."

The cool night wind swept in from the desert, dancing across the streets to finally caress the palace before it swept away towards the sea, for a romantic evening together with the soft sea breeze. Princess Jasmine stood at her balcony, leaning against the cool stone and watched the starry sky. The mild desert wind, scented with spices and perfumes after it's way through the city, made her raven hair fly and surge behind her. Dark skies stretched outwards, embracing the world like a mother cradling her child. The stars glittered like diamonds, so close and yet so far away. She sighed, let herself drown in the eternities of the night sky, her large, expressive eyes reflecting the starlight as if filled by stars of their own. The moon crescent, almost copper-red in color rose above the soft shapes of the rocky hills towards the sea, spreading a soft pink light over the sand and waters.Although she loved her friends and never wanted to have to live without them, she treasured these moments, all on her own, when she could open her soul to the sky and just feel the calm of the sleepy moonlight. The moon was an old friend, an ever-present thing in her constantly changing life. When she was younger she used to think the moon was the face of her mother's spirit, looking down and smiling at her daughter. And still, after all these years, she felt close to the great gemstone in the night sky."Good night," she whispered. With a final soft smile, she turned around to go inside.

"But Princess, the night has only just begun..."Jasmine started and gasped as the shadows formed a dark shape that moved towards her. Glowing green cat's eyes met hers from the depths of the solid darkness. "Mirage!"She started to back away, but the feline creature stood between her and the doorway, blocking her only escape. Behind her was only the balustrade and the several hundred feet down to the garden. Mirage saw her glance and laughed a throaty evil laugh."Don't try anything foolish, Jasmine. A dead princess would serve my purposes just as good as a living one. You can't escape me.""What do you want?!"She tried to slid past the approaching shadow, but a clawed hand snatched out and grabbed her wrist."At the moment - you. I've finally decided that I want this puny little city, and you are the bait I need to spring the trap."She struggled and kicked at her attacker. Screaming for help, she felt her feet lift from the ground. Suddenly a bright light flared before her eyes, and the last thing she heard before the following darkness swallowed her was Mirage's evil laughter.

"Jasmine!"Alerted by her desperate scream, Aladdin slid out through the doorway, just in time to see the soaring shapes glow and then wink out, swallowed by thin air. Helplessly he heard the evil laughter, echoing mockingly at him long after Mirage and the princess had disappeared.

The gigantic shape of the sphinx towered above her, the almond shaped, enigmatic eyes staring into nothingness as if keeping the answers of every question, every riddle ever asked with their depths (...except maybe 'Why is a mouse when it spins'). Flickering fire light played across the stone face, made her feel dizzy. Mirage let go of her, almost disdainfully. Both of them knew that once here, she couldn't escape. Couldn't come home again. She looked around, desperately searching for somewhere to run, but in vain."Poor little Princess. Where is your hero now?"She backed away and glared at the beautiful, feline woman before her."Aladdin will stop you, Mirage! Whatever you want from me, you won't get it!"Mirage only smiled evilly at her, her lips drawn back to reveal the sharp fangs."But I already have. As long as I have you, Aladdin will do exactly what I tell him to. As will your father. It's the most basic plan of all.""And it has always failed before! Somehow, we'll stop you!"Mirage slowly approached her, her pace as graceful and sensual as a cat's. She touched the princess' chin with her claws, lifting her face to meet her eyes."Don't you worry, Princess. Before sunset tomorrow, Agrabah will be mine, and this time, nothing can stop me from taking what I want!"Jasmine's eyes went wide and she tried to back away from the touch of the lethal claws. Mirage caught her wrist again and pulled her close. The princess struggled against her grip, but couldn't break loose. She felt the forms of the catwoman's lithe, lush body against her own, felt the faint scent of exotic incense and perfume as Mirage twisted her arm behind her back and started dragging her towards the temple's entrance. Laughing scornfully at the princess' helpless struggling she bent closer and purred in her ear."Until then I'll do my best to make you really comfortable. After all, you're my guest here, now aren't you? I wouldn't want you to think I'm inhospitable to my dear visitors. And I think I know just the place for you..."

"You know Xerxes, if that's how she intends to take over Agrabah, I've already won. Of all worn-out, hackneyed busted plans, she chooses the oldest and most predictable one. 'Kidnap the princess'. Sheesh!"

The night was cold, the full moon's light icy and gloomy, without any warmth. At least it felt that way. Aladdin sighed and let his hand run absently over the marble balustrade where Jasmine had been standing many hours earlier. Mirage's demand that Agrabah should be turned over to her before dawn if they wanted the princess back alive was unprecedented, impossible...The entire city, all of the people in exchange for Jasmine's life. She wouldn't want them to give in, but just the very thought of losing her... He shook his head - he felt so helpless! If there only was something he could do! Genie had done his best trying to bring him to Mirage's palace, but the constantly changing location of Morbia, mirages and concealing spells, and the magical currents of the black hole outside time and space where it was, had finally forced him to give up. They wouldn't find the place if Mirage didn't want to. Which meant all he could was wait. Wait and see what the Sultan decided. Wait and see what dawn would bring...

"Jasmine... My child... my beloved daughter..."The little man sat alone in the enormous throne room, almost disappearing in the gigantic throne, emptiness and silence his only companions. He wrung his hands in despair, tears running down his chubby cheeks to disappear in his snow-white beard. What Mirage demanded was impossible, he couldn't give up the city, leave the defenseless people to her mercy - as if she knew the meaning of that word. And yet, how could he possibly be asked to sacrifice the life of his only child, the one he loved more than anything else on earth...?"What shall I do...? Allah have mercy on us, what shall I do?!"Only silence answered him. His tears kept falling as the end of this endlessly long night was mercilessly approaching, the eastern sky already beginning to change from black to deep blue, the stars fading before the promise of dawn.

The golden torch-light flickered over the walls, made the alien, stylized figures dance and move before her weary eyes. The manacles felt like jaws, gnawing into her skin and she moved restlessly to find a more comfortable position. The chains clanked softly and the echoes rang hollowly through the darkness beyond the firelight. She sank back against the wall, the dark fingers of hopelessness reaching out to strangle her."The Hall of Despair" Mirage had called this place. Maybe it was true - she did feel helpless and empty. Once again dark forces threatened those she loved and she was unable to stop it from happening. Dark despair made her blink away tears. Sometimes she felt that ever since she had finally found true love and happiness in Aladdin's arms, her life had been one long struggle against the evil that threatened to drown the people of her beloved Agrabah. Even now, while she was caught here, chained to the walls of the unworldly temple, Mirage had gone to trade her life for Agrabah itself. She clenched her hands to fists, desperately wishing she could tell Aladdin and her father to refuse to give in. One last glance of their faces and then she would be content to face whatever dark fate the Cat had planned for her, knowing her sacrifice would have saved her city. Helplessly she jerked and struggled against the cruel chains, then fell back, hanging limply towards the cold stone, standing up only because the chains wouldn't let her fall. It would take a miracle to get out this time..."Good evening, Princess."She started as the soft voice, smooth as silk whispered in her ear, cutting through her noble self-pity. Not until now, when the subtle spell was broken by that voice, she realized how deeply she had been caught in her own despair. A little while longer, and Aladdin and her father would have gotten nothing back but a broken wreck. With an enormous effort she broke free from the threatening darkness to turn around and face her savior, though she had already recognized his voice."Mozenrath," she whispered. He leaned casually against the wall, so close she could feel his breath against her skin, shadows of light and darkness dancing across his beautiful features. His eyes glittered and he smiled at her, a haughty smile that made her inexplicably angry. She tilted her chin and gave him her most royal look of disapproving contempt. His smile widened into a nasty grin and he came even closer, reaching up with his gauntleted hand to play with the chains that bound her. She recoiled from his touch and would have turned away if the chains hadn't held her back."So you are involved in this too? I should have guessed," she said coldly, trying to keep her voice from shaking."Of course I am. I'm always involved, one way or another, when evil is around. That's one of the universal laws. I thought you knew that."She stared at him, not certain if he was serious or only mocking her. She felt the leather gauntlet brush against her skin as he fingered at the manacles around her wrists, and she started to fight against the pull of the chains."Will you stop that!" he snapped at her, jerking her hands back."This is complicated enough as it is, without you flapping about.""What are you doing?" she demanded. He didn't answer, but muttered a short word. Suddenly the manacles turned hot against her wrists, then with a metallic click they fell away from her. She lowered her arms, they felt stiff and numb. They itched and tingled as blood came rushing back into them and she rubbed her wrists. Slowly she looked back up at him."What are you doing??" she whispered. He waved his hand at her impatiently. "Never mind, I don't have much time. I must get you back to Agrabah before Mirage convinces your beloved street-rat and the Sultan to give her the city, all wrapped up in red ribbons, served on a silver platter."She blinked, trying to catch up the missing parts of what he had just said. "What? You mean you don't want Agrabah??""Of course I want Agrabah. But I don't want Mirage to have Agrabah, and that's an altogether different thing. Are you coming or not?"She backed away from him and crossed her arms across her chest, eyeing him suspiciously."Not until you've told me what's going on!"He sneered at her and approached her, his gauntleted hand beginning to glow. "Darling Princess, do you really think you have a choice...?"Knowing she was helpless before his magic, she thought very fast. Suddenly feigning fear, she backed away from him. His smile grew malicious as she suddenly stumbled and cowered before him. When he was only a step away, reaching out with his flaming hand to grab her, she moved as fast as a striking cobra. Grabbing his outstretched hand, sweeping his legs away under him, she pulled him down on the floor. She hung on to his right hand, not strong enough to snatch the gauntlet away from him, but determined to keep him from using his magic. He snarled at her, trying to shake her off, but she put her knee against his chest and refused to let go."Now...will you tell me...what's going...on...?"she gasped, struggling to pin him down. He glared at her, then suddenly he started to chuckle. She felt very ridiculous, hanging on to his hand like a mouse to the cat's tail. Laughing helplessly he stopped struggling and gasped for breath. With a shove she released his hand and stood, mercilessly telling herself that if she so much as smiled...He sat up and flicked away a tear from the corner of his eye. With a crooked smile he looked up at her."I yield, your highness! Have mercy!"Still chuckling, he shook his head and stood up beside her. She glared at him. He brushed some imaginary dust from his sleeves."Since you are so determined, and since I suppose it will be a bit easier to do this with your cooperation, I guess I can tell you the basic story line. "You may consider yourself a valuable piece in a game of chess. My piece. By getting you away from the chessboard, Mirage intends to rob me of all my rooks and knights in one strike. You, my dear Princess, is my queen."He smiled maliciously at her. She narrowed her eyes at him."'A game of chess'...? That's it...?"He shrugged."That's it. A full scale war or a game of chess is the same thing when you get down to it. With you out of the way, Mirage will undoubtedly win. And I don't like losing.""Really? What a surprise," she muttered. She studied him suspiciously, trying to find any hidden meanings in his words. He gave her a reassuring smile, looking as innocent as an angel."Think of it this way. For the next 13 hours, I'll be the most devoted defender Agrabah's ever had."He reached out his glowing hand again. Reluctantly she took it."May Allah have mercy on us..." she muttered.

The blue-black lightnings died away, and she found herself standing at her balcony again. The soft, iridescent light of dawn cast blurry pastel shadows on the white marble, and dew made the polished floor slippery. She turned around to ask Mozenrath if he knew what had happened while she was gone, but there was no sign of him. Like a fading shadow in the approaching dawn he had disappeared into thin air. She looked around, then shrugged and moved towards her rooms. Obviously, she'd have to find it out by herself.