Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
A Serpent's Tale by Soraya Summers
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +

A Serpent’s Tale

Dear friend Aladdin and Princess Jasmine, you are invited to the annual Odiferian Cheese Celebration. Come as you are and, please, don't bring the loud bird. Signed,Prince Uncouthma

”Real formal letter,” Sadira said sarcastically after reading the invitation that was sent to the palace.

”I can't blame them for asking Iago not to come,” Aladdin snickered as Carpet flew toward Odiferous. “Thanks for coming, Sadira,” he added, and thought about his pregnant wife.

“I don't think Jasmine is in any state to come. She was awfully nice to let me borrow some of her clothes,” Sadira smiled and looked down at the outfit Jasmine had agreed to let her borrow. It was comprised of green pants with beads hanging from the waist and a matching top. Her hair was done in a high ponytail with two chunks of it lying on her shoulders from above her ears. She also wore some of Jasmine’s finest gold jewelry.

“She doesn't like Odiferous that much either,” Aladdin replied holding his nose.

“Is it that bad?” Sadira asked.

”Just wait until you get there!”

After hours of flying through green grass and weed fields, the stench of moldy cheese filled the air. While holding their noses, they passed over some grazing yaks and mold farmers.

”How could anyone live like this?” Sadira asked, almost crying from the smell since it was so rank.

”You'll get used to it,” Aladdin added as they flew closer to a rather large stone building that resembled a palace. Upon landing on the ground, two large guards came up to them and offered to throw them.

”you're gonna what?!” Sadira exclaimed.

“Throw you to the castle, honored guest!” the guard announced, and bowed before them.

“You'll probably kill us!” Sadira said, astounded.

”No, that’s ok. We'll walk,” Aladdin interrupted in a most official voice. “But thanks anyway!” he added.

”Throw me! What do they have? A system of catches and throws?” Sadira asked.

”Different cultures do different things,” Aladdin said.”

”They don't get much stranger then that one,” she pointed at the guards.

”Friend Aladdin!” Prince Uncouthma exclaimed while running out of the castle doors. He hugged Aladdin in a lock grip.

”Ack! Nice to see you too, Uncouthma,” Aladdin spurted out, trying to breathe.

”And who is the lovely lady?” Uncouthma asked as he leaned down and kissed Sadira’s hand. ”Starting a harem, are we?” Uncouthma nudged Aladdin.

”No,” he gulped, “this is my friend Sadira. She’s here in place of Jasmine.”

”Welcome Sadira, to Odiferous,” Uncouthma announced, pointing to the land that lay behind them.

”I am most honored to be here,” she smiled and bowed to him.

”Well enough of this formal stuff. Let’s party!” Uncouthma yelled. The whole town came out of their homes and began to dance, sing, eat, and be merry. The cheese was plentiful, and the ale was supplied in kegs by the dozens. The streets were filled with happy people, confetti of all sorts, and children happily playing together.

”Well, I think we've come at a good time.” Aladdin commented, and put out his hand in front of Sadira signaling for her to go first.

”Thank you.” she smiled as they walked into the large crowd of people.

”Why do I seem so out of place?” she asked and looked up at the tall, big boned giants that circled around both her and Aladdin.

”I feel the same way. We should---” he yelled, but the music got louder and the rest of his sentence became muffled.

”What? I can't hear you. The music is to loud!” she yelled back.

*************************************************************************************

Aladdin grabbed her hand and they squeezed out of the crowd. The two of them walked to a small mud pond.

”Now, what did you say?” Sadira asked.

”Nothing important,” he added and sat down on a rock.

”Why did we come all the way out here?” she asked, and looked back at the villagers.

”We were gonna get trampled on and, anyways, their choice of music stinks!” Sadira covered her ears and sat down next to Aladdin. There was a long pause.

”I've never seen grass so green other than in the palace,” she commented, trying to think of something that might fill in the long interlude.

”Yeah, there are flowers here in the spring as well, but fall is rolling around.”

”You come here a lot?” she asked.

”No, only when we are invited,” he smiled, looked into the filthy water and back at Sadira. She batted her eyelashes and moved closer to him. Slowly she pulled her head closer to his. Realizing what he was doing he backed away and shook his head.

”Um, I'm getting kind of hungry. Want to get something to eat?” he asked, and got up from where he was sitting.

”No thanks,” she sighed, and watched him walk away. I was this close, she thought, but remembered how Aladdin and Jasmine were married. She got up and walked toward a bridge that went over the muddy pond. Looking up at the sky, she remembered when she had first met Aladdin, Oh, if only I'd have met him first! she thought. The seeds of flowers flew past her as the wind picked up. She caught one and threw it into the water. The mud in the water was so sticky that the seed melted into it. She turned away, then something in the muck caught her eye. Perhaps it’s a leaf, she thought, and leaned over the rail to take a closer look. The odd looking leaf had a bright red scaly base and scaly black feathers covering its tip.

“What in the world?!” she said. It flew out of the mud and wrapped around her waste picking her up into the air. She screamed as her hair fell into her face making it hard for her to see. When she stopped moving, she noticed the thing began to arise from the muck to show its full form. Carefully she followed it with her eyes and watched as a giant beast hovered over her. It smiled wickedly and shook the mud off of its body. “Hola seņorita,” it said in a deep voice.

Sadira shook with fear as it spoke.

”Do you not know who I am?” it asked with a Spanish accent. She shook her head and it frowned at her.

“Why, I am Malcho, The Great Rain Serpent!” it added. Sadira screamed, and began to kick it hoping that she would be able to get free.

”You will be a great snack for me!” Malcho roared, and pulled her closer. She looked around and called up her powers to summon the mud, which sank the serpent like quick sand. He accidentally released her and she fell onto the grass. “Better tell Aladdin,” she said aloud, and ran toward the other covered in mud.

”Good, go tell Aladdin I'm here, this couldn't have gone any better,” he snickered and flew out of the slush.

**************************************************************************************

”Nice to see you too, Brawnhilda!” Aladdin waved as he sat back down at the large table after spending his time trying not to get crushed. “Oh, what a day,” he moaned rubbing his head and clasping the table. Meanwhile, in the field, Sadira ran as fast as she could and tripped over the long beads that decorated her waist. “Forget this!” She yelled, and ripped the beads off of her waistband, watching them roll all over the ground as she continued running. “Aladdin, Aladdin!” she hollered to the large crowd in front of her. She pushed and knocked people out of her way as she observed Aladdin with his head on the table exhausted from all the partying.

“Aladdin you won't believe what just happened,” she said and grabbed his arm.

”Huh, what?” he asked quickly sitting up.

”I was over by that bridge,” she pointed in the distance, “When I saw the strangest thing, a giant red and black serpent.” she said, exasperated.

”A what?!”

”It was huge, he called himself Malcho the Rain Serpent,” she mocked.

”Malcho here?” Aladdin said, “I thought we got rid of that guy.”

”Come on, before he gets to the party!” she yelled, and pulled him out of the safe sitting area onto the dance floor. From beneath them the ground began to shake and Aladdin pulled Sadira towards him. “Do you feel that?!” he yelled through the music. She looked at him oddly as the vibrations became stronger. They looked at the ground wondering where it was coming from. Suddenly the ground broke open quite a ways in front of them and out flew a mighty serpent. The people were flung in every direction as the ground shattered beneath them. The mighty beast soared up from the ground and stared into the crowd. It laughed deeply and shook the ground as it hovered over the town. Brawnhilda and Bud ran over to Uncouthma,

“Dad, what happen?” he asked.

”don't worry. Mommy will make it ok,” Brawnhilda added cracking her knuckles.

”Who are you?!” demanded Prince Uncouthma.

”I am Malcho the great Rain Serpent!” he roared with fiery breath and set the wood roofed house ablaze.

”We do not like intruders in Odiferous, especially when they decided to ruin our cheese festivals!” Uncouthma stated. “Get him!”

Malcho laughed as the mighty guards ran toward him. He scooped five of them up and swallowed them whole.

“Malcho does not liked to be taunted,” he roared in a Spanish accent. “I want the one that calls himself Aladdin, or I will be forced to heat things up.”

Uncouthma looked around for Aladdin and called one of his guards over.

“Find friend Aladdin and make sure he stays safe. We can handle this,” he whispered. The guard bowed his head and went off. Prince Uncouthma continued:

“Um, there is no one by that name, beast. You must leave,” Uncouthma yelled up at Malcho.

”Then I see I must go back on my word,” Malcho laughed. He took a deep breath of air.

“Nonsense Prince Uncouthma, I'm right here,” Aladdin said standing behind Malcho. Malcho quickly turned around and released his fiery breath. Aladdin flipped out of the way as the fire blazed past him. That was close, he thought.

”You are a mighty estupido persona,” Malcho said.

”Whatever that means...the same to you!” Aladdin yelled back. Aladdin started to run out of the town with Malcho trailing behind.

”What is friend Aladdin doing?” Prince Uncouthma asked.

”I think he’s gonna lead Malcho out of the city,” Sadira answered.

”Well, he won't do it alone,” Uncouthma said, and called upon his men to help Aladdin. He kissed Brawnhilda and Bud and ran out of the city with the others. Sadira looked around and noticed that all of the men had left.

”We women can handle the city!” Brawnhilda announced. “Come, friend Sadira. We must attend to the weapons,” Brawnhilda added, and picked up Sadira while heading for the weapon rooms.

Oh boy, Sadira thought as the other women trailed behind.

**************************************************************************************

”Come one, you garden snake!” Aladdin teased as Malcho closed in behind. “I see you have fiery breath now.”

”I would like to thank you for that,” Malcho began, remembering his last defeat by Aladdin. “That volcano taught me well the meaning of fire.”

Aladdin ran out into the vast grasslands ahead with Malcho blowing fire everywhere.

“I'm glad I got him out of the city,” Aladdin said and looked at the trees, which were all ablaze. Without warning, Aladdin suddenly lost his footing and tripped on a rock. He rolled on the ground and yelped in pain holding his ankle. Malcho stopped and laughed loudly.

“Hasta Luego!” he bellowed, and took in a deep breath of air. Aladdin covered his head with his hands as the Odiferian’s threw their swords, some rocks, and trees at the mighty serpent. Malcho turned around quickly and blew the fire at them instead. He swung his tail behind him, hoping to not only smack the Odiferians, but to hit Aladdin as well. Aladdin rolled out of the way.

“I tire of this game,” Malcho announced, and scooped the Odiferian men up with his wing. He flew past Aladdin and curled his tail around him as they took off toward the desert. Trying to squeeze out of Malcho’s grip, Aladdin got his arm free and pulled one of Malcho’s scales out. Malcho yelled and squeezed Aladdin tighter. Bad idea, Aladdin thought and attempted to breathe. Not long after they had left Odiferous they arrived in a wasteland of muck and weeds. Malcho dropped the men into the sludge and watched as they tried to struggle out. He laughed and hissed with amusement.

“Almost like quick sand, no? I better go finish the rest of your town off,” he added, and flew away. The men looked at each other and then at their surroundings.

“Well friend Aladdin,” began Uncouthma’s Captain of the Guards. “What are we going to do?”

Aladdin took hold of a low branch that was near him, which was hanging down from a gray tree.

“Climb up,” he said. He began to pull himself up, and noticed in the distance some big white stones sticking out of the sludge. Puzzled, he climbed up higher to get a better view. Not long after Aladdin climbed up the branch, Uncouthma followed. One of the stones Aladdin was looking at started to shake and the rest followed in unison.

“What in the world?” Aladdin wondered while helping Prince Uncouthma up. The first stone cracked open to reveal a baby serpent. It cleaned off its wings and stretched its body. Aladdin watched in the distance as the others began to crack open. He finished pulling Uncouthma up and looked down at the other dozen or so men that were still waiting down below.

“Hurry up!” Aladdin yelled, and pointed into the distance. “We are all gonna wind up breakfast!” Aladdin yelled as the men quickly pushed one another out of the way in order to climb up the branch.

After cleaning themselves, the serpents tackled each other and looked for a bite to eat. Sensing the humans’ fear and helplessness, they headed toward their victims.

“They won't get up in time,” Uncouthma said while watching the beasts advance closer.

“Yes they will,” Aladdin stated, determined. He and a couple of other men helped the stragglers up. The serpents circled around the remaining men below hissed wildly. The small snakes moved in quickly on their victims, the remaining two men below. Aladdin turned his head as the two where eaten.

Uncouthma turned back.

“Filthy beasts!” he yelled as those in the trees shared a moment of silence.

“We could have helped them,” Aladdin argued.

”They will be remembered,” Uncouthma said, depressed. “Now it is best that we try to get out alive.”

Still hungry for more, the young snakes banged their heads up against the dead tree hoping a treat would fall out. The men wobbled back and forth, trying to catch their balance.

Back in the kingdom of Odiferous, the women gathered the weapons and set up traps in case Malcho decided to return.

”Ready the weapons!” Princess Brawnhilda shouted as the women loaded the catapults.

”Princess,” shouted Sadira as she ran down the gates tower, ”he’s coming!” Quickly, the women readied for their attacker.

Malcho flew over the city and laughed as they flung the catapults filled with boulders toward him. With his tail, he destroyed the homes and shops of Odiferous. The women threw stones at him to no avail.

“You are just as helpless as your men!” Malcho laughed.

”What have you done with them?” Brawnhilda demanded to know.

”You wish to see?!” Malcho hissed. Sadira grabbed a sword and ran behind Malcho as he landed on the ground.

”Leave us a lone!” She shouted at him. Malcho yelped and with a whoosh of his tail, knocked her to the ground.

”I've been wanting to thank you for leading me to Aladdin,” he added. Sadira got up and realized there was no way she could escape. Using her powers, she turned into sand and disappeared. With utter shock, Malcho began digging through the ground, hoping to find her. The barbarian women gathered a giant net and flung it over the great beast. He hissed as they nailed it to the ground. When they were finished, he stopped struggling and gave in.

“We will not let you go until the men come back,” she said pointing at him.

**************************************************************************************

Climbing over a couple of hills, Sadira spotted the serpents thrusting themselves against the tree. Their red color didn't help to blend in, so it was easy to spot each one. After each head banging thrust they opened their mouths hoping something would fall out. Sadira sighed and walked closer. Those poor things she thought and shook her head. Heading toward them, she sank into the ground.

“Quick sand!” she yelled. Her yell echoed throughout the woodlands and the serpents stopped to listen. Some slithered across the mud while others flew in Sadira’s direction.

“Did you hear that?” Aladdin asked.

”Who didn't?” commented one of the men.

”That sounded like... no it can't be,” Aladdin said, and squinted in the direction that the snakes were flying.

”Oh great!” Sadira sighed, trying to pull herself up. The weeds in front of her began to rustle, and she squatted down to take a closer look. A little serpent head came out and started at her.

“Hey there,” she smiled. It stuck out its tongue as another head came out on top of it.

“Did you bring some friends?” she asked sweetly. All around her more and more started to come out of the brush. She stood up and struggled to step back as they advanced toward her. One jumped on top of her and she fell into the muck.

“NO!” she screamed and tried to scratch them with her nails. She put her hand in the mud trying to balance herself so she wouldn't sink. She gathered the mud around her and used her magic to make a cage for the monsters. After the serpents were safely caged up, the mud around her disappeared and she was free to move around.

“Well you guys certainly are deceiving!” she laughed and waved to Aladdin in the tree.

“Are you ok?” he asked

“Yeah just fine, but we better hurry. They haven't figured out that mud isn't very strong,” Sadira yelled back to the others in the tree. They jumped down and started running toward the hills.

“The sooner we leave here, the better,” commented Uncouthma’s guards. As they climbed over the hill, they heard the sound of angry serpents breaking through their mud cage.

“I think we better run faster!” Aladdin exclaimed. As they ran for their lives, they noticed the red serpents flying after them.

“Twenty-five of them, twelve of us...we can take them on!” Uncouthma’s head guard added.

”Go right ahead. I'm not stopping you,” Sadira motioned toward crowd behind them.

Over-exhausted and hurt Aladdin fell to the ground.

“What's wrong?!” Sadira asked, and stopped to help him.

”Just go. I'll catch up,” he replied.

”No, I won't leave you,” she added and helped him up. The hiss from the snakes grew louder as they hovered over their victims. They lunged for Aladdin as flying daggers came from the sky and shot through each of their wings. Aladdin and Sadira looked over to see where it came from. Standing above them on the closest hill were Uncouthma and his men.

“You don't think we'd leave you, would you friend Aladdin?” he smiled.

Aladdin shook his head and stood up.

“Thanks Uncouthma.”

”Now we must stop the others,” Uncouthma added and charged with his men into the stampede of giant baby serpents. Shaking with fright from their torn wings, the snakes huddled together and backed away from their prey. Who would have thought such yummy looking food could be so deadly? Uncouthma climbed over the hill and stayed there as a look out for the group so that they could rest. Since the sun was setting, they slept in a wooded area of the swamp under some dead trees and anxiously awaited the morning.

*************************************************************************************

A rustle from the wind awoke Uncouthma. He looked out into the distance and saw the shape of a large dragon heading their way. He could feel the wind from its mighty wings miles away. As the beast came closer, it began to appear more like a giant serpent. Uncouthma realized that Malcho must have been coming back to check up on his kin. He jumped up and woke the others. They gathered their things and hid behind the dead trees that surrounded the swamp. Flying closer to the swamp, Malcho muttered a few words and continued on.

“Quickly! Now is our chance,” Aladdin motioned to the others who began to tiptoe behind him. Lying under some vines, Malcho saw his children huddled together sleeping, one awoke and screeched, showing its battered wing. “Aladdin!” Malcho yelled in anger. He turned around and saw the group of humans sneaking away. Taking a deep breath, he blew fire in their direction and flew over to them.

“Looks like our cover’s blown,” Aladdin commented and took out his sword. The other Odiferians prepared for battle.

“I expected you to be gone by now!” Malcho hissed. I wonder if the little ones like barbecue or baked, Malcho thought, and blew fire at the tiny people below him.

“I have an idea,” Sadira suddenly jumped up and said. “Just get him to our level!”

”How are we gonna go that?” Aladdin asked.

”Can do,” Uncouthma said. “Men attack mode!” he yelled and the guards ran toward Malcho. Malcho smacked the ground with his tail and all of the men fell. Aladdin grabbed his sword and thrust it into Malcho tail. The baby serpents heard the commotion and slithered to their father’s side, hissing and swinging their tails.

“Now!” Aladdin shouted. Uncouthma and his men flung their swords at Malcho's wings, which caused them to shred. Malcho yelled in pain and spewed fire onto the trees and weeds. The woods began to be gradually consumed by the fire. Malcho fell to the ground and--with great anger--lunged at Aladdin.

Meanwhile, Sadira had climbed up the hill and waited for the signal. When she saw Malcho fall, she knew she had to do something.

“Now, how does that spell go again?” she asked herself. “Come on think!” she said and tapped her finger on her head.

”Malcho!” she yelled, calling attention to the mighty beast. He looked up at her as she knelt down and picked some dirt off the ground. “For all your crimes that have gone unjust, all those towns you've destroyed, and all those lives you've taken, I punish you!” she yelled as Malcho and his children hissed with laughter.

”Does she know what she’s doing?” Uncouthma asked Aladdin, who shrugged.

”What you are, no longer be. I turn you into the size of a flea!” she chanted. As the wind picked up, she slowly let the dirt fall from her hand. The wind took the dirt and circled around Malcho and his kin. A yellow light grew around them and they struggled to get out.

“Hmm. that’s to small,” she said making their size that of a normal snake. She slid down the hill and joined the others.

“Not only shall you remain this small, but you will never go forwards or backwards again to change your the past or future!” The group watched as the snakes slithered side ways across the land. Now that their home was on fire they headed toward the desert and separated in different directions.

“Good job Sadira!” Aladdin and the others said in unison.

“Thanks,” she smiled back at the group of men.

”Now what are you gonna call this new breed of snakes?” Aladdin asked.

”Hmm, I'll call them sidewinders,” she replied, and pointed to the side marks the snakes made as they crossed through the dirt.

**********************************************************************************

Back in Odiferous, the women has awoken to find Malcho missing.

“I'm sorry, friend Aladdin, about the banquet and all.” Uncouthma uttered.

”don't worry about it. We had a great time!” Aladdin added.

”Yes we did! I'm so glad I was able to come,” Sadira said and smiled.

”Thanks for having us, Uncouthma,” Aladdin said and shook his hand as he and Sadira climbed on Carpet, who went back to the palace after dropping them off.

”You are welcome back any time!” Uncouthma yelled to them as they flew toward the desert.

”Phew, I'm glad we made it out alive!” Aladdin sighed, leaning back on Carpet.

”I knew it would work out in the end,” Sadira laughed.

”Well, if you're that optimistic maybe I should bring you along on all of my adventures.”

The END