Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Jewel Bird of Abis Mal by Eden
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +
The Jewel Bird of Abis Mal

By Eden

One hot Arabian afternoon in the city of Agrabah, Princess Jasmine hummed softly to herself as she sifted through her wardrobe. Tonight was the "Celebration of Summer Stars." The royal seamstress had sewn Jasmine a new outfit for the special event. The Princess carefully laid the dark blue, silk, harem top and billowy pants on her bed. A large diamond, shaped as a star, was fastened in the middle of the top. A long, blue, transparent veil, studded with twinkling, miniature diamonds, fell to her feet. Jasmine had received a new necklace from Queen Shasta of faraway Arkikstak. The Queen had given Jasmine the necklace as a thank you gift when she and Aladdin had helped rid Shasta's city of an evil magician. But now it was missing! Jasmine searched all over her vanity and on the floor. Rajah, who had been napping, opened one yellow eye, and growled questioningly. "Rrr?"

"Oh, Rajah, I lost my gift from Queen Shasta! The mythical blue pearl necklace!" cried Jasmine as she hurried to her wardrobe and pulled out her brown cloak. Come, Rajah! Let's go get help from Aladdin and the others!"

Meanwhile, not too far away, Abis Mal and Haroud were appraising their new loot at their hideout.

"Lookey here, Haroud!" crowed Abis Mal, holding up . . . Jasmine's blue pearl necklace! "Didn't I tell you that the bird would pay back what it cost?" Haroud remembered quite clearly that it was the other way around, but only said, "You were most correct, sir."

"Ha-ha!" laughed the short thief. "We will soon be the richest thieves in the whole city! We'll even be richer than . . . than . . ." Here he paused and mumbled, 'Short, fat, lives in a palace, wears a great hat . . ."

"The Sultan?" offered Haroud.

"The Sultan!" shouted Abis Mal. "I will be richer than even the Sultan! Then I will be Sultan, and wear the great hat!" Haroud walked over to a corner where a large cage sat, as he opened the door, a large, brightly plumaged bird flew into the room.

"Go, Jewel Bird!" commanded Abis Mal. "Bring more treasure, so I will be Sultan!" The bird circled the room once, then uttering a loud call, it flew out a window and into the skies above.

When Jasmine arrived at Aladdin's peasant hovel, she was greeted by an accusing squawk from Iago.

"All right, Monkey! I know you stole my Boardwalk deed! Now, hand it over!" Aladdin, Genie, Iago and Abu were seated around a colored board on the floor. Genie had introduced his friends to the Monopoly game, and as usual, Iago was being a poor sport. Abu chattered back a reply: "Chi, Chee, Unnh-uhhh!"

"You cheating little hairball, give it back!" squawked Iago again.

"Cut it out, Iago! Abu didn't take your deed. Quit being a poor sport. It's only a game!" Aladdin frowned at the red parrot. Iago was about to start again, when Jasmine asked teasingly, "Am I interrupting anything?" Aladdin looked up and smiled at his sweetheart. "Come on in, Jasmine!"

Jasmine and Rajah entered the little circle. Genie shoved the rest of Iago's deeds in Jasmine's face.

"Here you are, Jas! The bird is out of the game on account of bad temper!" he said.

"Hey!" Iago squawked. Jasmine held up her hands.

"Hang on you guys," she began. "I need your help. I lost my mythical blue pearl necklace."

"The one from Queen Shasta?" questioned Aladdin.

"Yes. I've looked all over my room; I can't find it anywhere!" Instantly Genie changed into a blue Sherlock Holmes with a pipe and a magnifying glass. He began searching the hovel, shoving the glass at Abu, he asked, "Where were you when Jasmine's necklace was stolen?"

"Chee- Chee, Shriek!" exclaimed Abu as he leapt to Aladdin's shoulder.

"Quit fooling around you two. We have a necklace to find!" Aladdin led the way outside. Genie changed back to normal and followed the rest. As soon as they were in the marketplace, the small group heard the exclamations of the townsfolk as they discovered their jewelry missing.

"Something is definitely wrong here," muttered Iago. Just then, a huge shadow passed on the ground. Looking up, Jasmine and her friends saw Abis Mal's jewel bird with a beakful of the citizen's valuables. Losing no time, Aladdin whistled for the magic carpet, and the adventurers set off on the bird's trail.

At the end of their flight, they weren't very surprised to see where they were.

"Should have known it was one of old Abis's schemes," Genie mumbled to Aladdin.

"Shh!" Jasmine cautioned with her finger over her lips. Tip-toeing, she led the way inside. Hiding behind a corner, they watched the bird fly into the room. Abis Mal was sitting on his chair, heaped on the floor and nearby table lay the stolen baubles. He was toying with Jasmine's necklace as the bird landed on the floor. Clapping his pudgy hands, the thief ran over to the bird.

"Well, my fine feathered friend.
What precious baubles have your brought me, the future Sultan of Agrabah?" With a cry the jewel bird deposited its prizes on the floor. Standing nearby, Haroud remarked, "With the bird quickly bringing in so much loot, sir, you will be Sultan by sundown." This brought a squeal of delight from Abis Mal.

The secret onlookers crept back behind the wall.

"All right, here's the plan. Rajah and I will retrieve the necklace and keep the thieves busy, while you two," Jasmine pointed at Aladdin and Genie, "Catch that bird and keep it under control. Meanwhile Abu and Iago will sack the town's valuables so we can return them to the owners." With these instructions, Jasmine bravely strode into the room and toward Abis Mal. He looked at her, startled. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Getting the necklace you stole from me!" Jasmine snapped as she snatched it away.

"Nooo!" Abis Mal lunged and grabbed her arm. On cue, Rajah roared forward with claws out and bared teeth. Abis Mal and Haroud took to their heels with Rajah close behind. Jasmine deposited her necklace in a pocket and helped Abu and Iago confiscate the heaps of stolen items. Meanwhile Genie transformed into an animal warden with a net; he brought it down on the bewildered creature.

"All right, old Fuss and Feathers, back into the slammer with you!" But as soon as Genie finished speaking, the Jewel Bird ripped the net with one swift movement of his sharp beak.

"Uh-oh!" exclaimed Genie. The bird lunged for Aladdin with a loud cry. Aladdin ducked to the floor. He spotted a ragged blanket. Grabbing it quickly, Aladdin prepared himself for the bird's turn-about. At the right moment, he threw it over the bird. Genie quickly opened the cage and together they got the jewel bird inside. In just a few minutes, the sacks of baubles, the cage and jewel bird, and the group of friends boarded he carpet and flew toward Agrabah and the celebration of the Summer Stars. Leaving Abis Mal and Haroud marooned on a high cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later on that evening, Aladdin dressed in his best clothes and waited outside Jasmine's door for the Princess. The door opened and out she stepped, wearing her new clothes and the blue pearls. "Well?" she asked.

"You look beautiful, as always," Aladdin handed her a small bouquet of blue and white flowers and kissed her.

They linked arms and walked together out under the star studded summer sky.

The End