Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Pools Rush In by Mo
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +
* * * POOLS RUSH IN * * * Aladdin swam to the surface of his dream. He opened one gummy eye and looked around. The palace was aridly silent. Abu and Iago reposed at his feet, bored. Genie lay a little way off, tired and resting his large blue chin on his palm. His other arm was transformed into a giant fan blowing the hot air around the chamber. Jasmine sat in the arched window, gazing down at the city. She had not changed her position since Aladdin fell asleep — knees drawn up to her chest with her hands clasped around them, and an expressionless face fronting hope and dismay.

Aladdin swallowed and attempted to rise to his elbows. Failing the first time, he huffed glumly at the ceiling. The sound broke Jasmine’s pensiveness, and she turned her head towards him.

“It’s four o'clock.”

Aladdin rubbed his nose bridge. “Uh-kay...”

“You only fell asleep seven minutes ago. No more than ten.”

“Felt like seven years.” He gently pulled his feet away from the two animals. They were too hot to complain about their head props being removed.

Aladdin stumbled over to Jasmine, still holding his head. “Seven minutes,” he mumbled. Jasmine giggled at his clumsiness.

“Weeeeell!” Genie chuckled. “That means it’s time for--”

He sailed up into the palace and disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke! It evaporated into a pint-size Genie with a three piece suit, pointing a stick at a large globe that spun wildly.

“THE AGRABAH WEATHER WATCH!” Slapping his stick down on Agrabah, the globe stopped and he winked, “Updated every seven minutes!”

Jasmine laughed sweetly. Aladdin kept his eyes on her beautiful face. He didn't want to miss the warm colors and angelic glow surfacing in his wife, especially since she was so worried and conserved these last few days. Smiling, he squeezed one of her feet. Jasmine stopped laughing abruptly and blushed at him.

“don't keep us in suspense, Jolly Blue Giant!” Iago barked. “If it’s one degree hotter, I'm putting in for a transfer to the SAHARA desert! I'll bet the talking parrots there don't have to put up with scorchers like this!”

Poof! In a rapid, stuffy voice, Mini-Genie sat at a news desk reading an update:

“We bring you these meteorological measurements directly from the most current and sophisticated weather forecasting technology.”

Briefly brandishing a 99 ¢ thermometer, he continued.

“It seems that our readings indicate that Agrabah is still experiencing an adverse atmospheric condition with the temperature at 106 degrees and rising. Further distressing, there is no sign of the annual monsoon, as there is nary a cloud in the sky. In other words —“

He transformed into a gigantic volcano with an exploding top.

“–IT’S TOO HOT!”

Jasmine sighed and gazed out onto the city once more. Her brown eyes dimmed sadly. “It’s not the heat that’s the problem, Genie. It’s the delay of the monsoon! It probably won't come at all this year. Droughts are very dangerous: the survival of the kingdom could depend on transporting water from the nearby oases.”

Abu squeaked weakly. The little monkey limped over to Aladdin and ran up to his shoulder. Trying to squeak again, he pointed one finger into his mouth.

“Sorry Abu,” Aladdin replied, petting him. “I'd give you a drink of water, but there’s nothing left to give. The kingdom barely has enough water left to run itself for a day.”

Jasmine stirred briefly. “don't worry Abu. Even if the monsoon evaporated, we can still salvage water from the water holes around the kingdom. they're filled with water all year long, even in the hot seasons. We sent the caravans out to bring back water over a week ago. They should be here any day now. They should have already been back...”

Aladdin furrowed his eyebrows. “Did you say the monsoon ... evaporated?”

“The rains were seen coming towards us from the northwest, as it does every year. On the way here, it just disappeared and never reached us.”

“First the monsoon doesn't reach us, then the caravans never come back. Something isn't right here.”

Before Jasmine could reply, he stood upright and put his fists on his hips. “We should investigate. Just in case.”

Jasmine slowly got down from the window, looking out at Agrabah one last time. “Maybe you're right. They have been gone too long, and even if it’s a false alarm, we could catch up to them and help them out with the cargo.”

“Not only that, it gives us something to do!” Genie babbled.

***

Carpet sailed along in the blazoning sky, following Genie’s lead. The tracks of the caravan were numerous enough to create an easy trail to follow, even in the shifting sand dunes. Nevertheless, Genie transformed himself into twelve blue bloodhounds that sniffed the obvious camelprints incessantly. After some deliberation, they ran down the beaten path of the tracks bellowing “TALLY-HO!”

“we're almost to the nearest oasis. We should be there in no time,” Aladdin assured Jasmine.

“That’s what has me worried,” she replied. “If they made it to the oasis, why haven't they started back?”

Iago flapped along beside them. “aren't there some PROFESSIONALS that can handle this stuff?! I mean, a monkey, a parrot, a princess and her waiter aren't exactly the Mod Squad!”

The genie-hounds yowled below, indicating that they had found something. Aladdin cast his attention back on the ground. His eyes opened in awe. “Oh my–“

“What, ..happened here?” Jasmine breathed.

The dogs bayed at the edge of a deep crater. The tracks showed that the caravan had reached the water hole, but there were no returning tracks or any sort of trail in another direction. The caravan had simply vanished! More startling was the water hole itself; the pool it formerly contained had disappeared as well. Carpet hovered above with Aladdin and Jasmine peering over its hem. Abu chattered in protest and crawled into Aladdin’s vest, shivering.

“we'd better have a look,” Aladdin said sternly.

Iago turned around in the opposite direction and started flapping his wings vigorously. “Welp, it looks like they've disappeared and there’s no water! I shall bravely assume the role of messenger pigeon and make off towards the castle with this report while you guys get yourselves killed in the same gruesome manner — I MEAN investigate further. Ta ta!”

“Hold it Iago!” Aladdin grabbed his tail feathers. “We may need your help. Take us down there Carpet!”

The magical carpet circled down and landed next to Genie, who had composed himself into his usual form. Aladdin and Jasmine stepped off gingerly. Everyone looked down into the basin nervously.

Abu chattered and hopped up and down, trying to get Aladdin’s attention. Aladdin got down on his knees to see what Abu was excited about. Seeing his interest, the monkey pointed at the basin’s floor. Something was peculiar...

Aladdin reached out and touched the dirt of the basin. He turned to Genie and Jasmine with a desperate look on his face.

“Abu’s right! There is something wrong with this basin floor. It’s completely dry, not even a little moist! How can that be if it was filled with water just a few days ag–“

Abu screeched and ran up Aladdin’s back. A green, rotting hand suddenly broke out of the basin’s dirt and grabbed Aladdin’s wrist. The creature pulled him toward itself as its head became visible.

“Auk!” Aladdin cried, trying to pull his hand away. Before anyone could react, it flipped him over its back, sending him tumbling down towards the center of the basin. Two more undead creatures were rising in the path of his fall, ready with sabers to cut off his journey.

“Aladdin!” Jasmine screamed. “Mamluks!”

“Quick, Carpet, go get Al!” Genie said, changing into a giant mallet and trying to pound the first mamluk back into the ground. Two more mamluks were rising behind him. Jasmine jumped and kicked the head off one of them as it raised its saber. It blindly brought its blade down on the other one, cutting it in two perfect halves.

“WHOA!” Aladdin steadied himself but was unable to stop his slide towards the mamluks. Abu jumped up and down on his stomach screeching and pointing at their raised swords.

Jasmine leaped on Carpet and set her eyes on Aladdin. “Let’s go!” Without a moment to lose, they shot down the ravine at full speed.

“Wait for me, Jas!” Genie called, sprinting after Carpet.

“Ahh!” Aladdin screamed, putting his palms and feet down on the ground. The slope was too steep! “Somebody help, we can't stop!”

“Power to the parrot!” Iago grabbed the turban of one of the mamluks awaiting Aladdin and pulled it down over its eyes.

“Aladdin!” Jasmine called. The last mamluk raised its sword for Aladdin. Suddenly Carpet cut between the boy and the mamluk at lightning speed. Jasmine grabbed Aladdin’s ankles as they came by, and they shot off into the air. The mamluk’s sword clanked down on the hard dirt one second later!

“Man, that was close!” Aladdin gasped, looking at the basin from upside-down. Abu sat in the crook of his neck and chin, chattering and sticking out his tongue at several more mamluks rising below and far away. Momentarily, Genie and Iago caught up beside them.

“Let’s get out of here!” Aladdin said to the gang, climbing up on Carpet. “Quick, we have to–“

CRACK! A bolt of black lightning struck them from behind. The power of the jolt blasted the party in every direction. Stunned, they all fell towards the earth. Carpet fluttered down last, smoking.

Perfect ten, perfect ten!” Xerxes cackled, blowing kisses.

Oh!, got’em all on my first try!” Mozenrath laughed. The sorcerer got down on one knee and made a fist, pulling the elbow back in triumph.

“Ye s-s-s-s-s-s!”

***

“Wake up, sunshine.”

“Whuff!” Aladdin felt a hard kick in his side. He looked up in terror at the mamluk standing over him. It croaked angrily, motioning towards Mozenrath with its saber.

“Jasmine? Genie?! Abu!”

“we're all fine Aladdin, just waiting for you to get with the program,” Mozenrath chuckled. “Hurry up, or you'll miss the fun.”

Aladdin tried to steady himself. The others had recovered a few feet away, blinking their eyes at the mamluks surrounding them. “Aladdin!” Jasmine shouted. She ran past the guards to Aladdin unexpectedly and threw her arms around him, knocking him back down. The mamluk guard reached forward to pull her away, but stopped when Mozenrath snapped his fingers. For now, he wanted it to leave them alone.

“You'll have to forgive me for missing the wedding,” Mozenrath apologized, sauntering towards them. “I meant to send a fruitcake weeks ago, but I've been tied up with work, know what I mean?”

Mozenrath very busy!” Xerxes cackled.

Aladdin held Jasmine more tightly. Over her shoulder, he snapped, “What are you doing here Mozenrath?!”

Mozenrath ignored him. “My, my, but what an adorable little couple you are!” He aimed his Gauntlet at them, and Aladdin and Jasmine, still embracing one another, began to rise into the air. The sorcerer narrowed his eyes and grinned at their startled cries.

“Promise you'll name the first little bundle after me?”

“Leave them alone, sonny!” Genie boomed. He changed into a tank and aimed his barrel at the sorcerer. Xerxes shrieked and squirmed under his master’s cloak.

“Ah-ah-ah,” Mozenrath said, switching his index finger. “One little disturbance out of you, and the lovebirds get plucked.”

The little tank started to sweat, but didn't move. “Mmf! Nnk!” Aladdin struggled against strong invisible hands, hands that were tightening. He could barely breath in the magical suspension Mozenrath cast on them. The little tanks mouth drooped sadly; Genie zapped himself back to normal. Pleased now, Mozenrath loosened some of his grip on Aladdin and Jasmine. “Very good.”

“For the last time, what do you want here Mozenrath!” Aladdin roared.

The sorcerer tried to appear surprised and hurt. “Why, times are hard and water is scarce; I'm here for the same reason you seek the desert pools!” Gingerly, he held up his hands, and a matching bowl and jug materialized. “See?” Mozenrath poured some of the crystal-clear water into the bowl and slurped noisily. “Aaah! That hit the spot. Xerxes?” Xerxes poked his head out nervously. Seeing that Genie was contained, the little eel whisked itself out and lapped the contents of the bowl.

Jasmine sneered, “If you really think taking Agrabah’s water supplies away will mean defeat for us, you're wrong! We have many allies that will supply us if we must go to war with you, Mozenrath!” The mamluks made low, gurgling laughter. Jasmine frowned at their reaction, wondering if she had made a mistake in her brashness.

The earth began to vibrate; a rumbling force could be heard in the distance. “What the--?” Iago started nervously. Still chuckling, their mamluk guards began to sink back into the ground.

Jasmine and Aladdin were released unexpectedly. “Aah!” they cried, startled once more. Not wasting a moment, Genie rocketed over to them and caught them before they could smack the ground.

Mozenrath’s ruthless voice resounded all around as the thunderous force charged towards them.

“Here, Aladdin,” he said, disappearing in a cloud of magic. “HAVE A DRINK.”

***

They were alone.

Hypnotized with fear, the group watched as the skies darkened, the air became moist, the ground shook, and a swelling power crashed towards them, engulfing the desert. Aladdin shaded his eyes and looked at the advent. Sand seemed to explode on contact with it; the wind ricocheted off its waves; the view was eclipsed by its monstrous form. Swallowing dryly, Aladdin took a clumsy step backwards, then another.

Water —“

Feathers flew as Iago flashed by the side of his head.

“LET’S GET OUT OF HERE!”

Carpet scudded under Aladdin instinctively, then Jasmine. Before the two passengers realized what was happening they were soaring off into the sky after the "Caw, caw, caw!” of the excited parrot.

Genie picked up Abu, prattling, “I don't think a tsunami with a 3-mile radius is something us two could handle, monkey-boy!” He launched into the sky after the party once more.

Aladdin looked back. “It’s gaining on us! Faster Carpet!”

Despite his injury from Mozenrath’s blast, the magic carpet put all its might into getting Aladdin and Jasmine back to Agrabah safely. The crest groaned and splattered, threatening to overtake them. As it ensued, rain could be felt smacking their backs, and their hair was matted to their faces by cut wind and sand particles set sail.

Genie cruised up beside them, barely visible in the gray fog they were ripping through blindly. “Here, take Abu!”, he yelled, putting his hand on Jasmine’s back to steady her. Jasmine couldn't see in the storm, and could barely hear his words, but put out her arms in the blowing mist. A little wet furball filled them, and she held it tightly.

Genie went under the carpet and came up on Aladdin’s side. “I might be able to hold it off!...”

“Hurry! it'll overtake us any moment!” the soaked boy yelled back.

Genie did a thumbs up. Not entirely sure that Aladdin had seen it, he fell back to face the juggernaut.

Aladdin put his arm around Jasmine as she held on to Abu. “It’s going to be all right!” he shouted to assure her, then he remembered something, horrible.

“Where’s Iago?!” The two humans whipped their heads around in vain, unable to perceive through the storm. In the fog before them, a scream was barely audible — “AaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAACK!” —

Turning to the front view again, Aladdin began “Maybe we should–“

Flamp! A red bird smacked Aladdin in the nose with a meaty thud.

The beak screeched, “we're GONNA DIE!!”

“Not if Genie has anything to say about it!” Aladdin shouted, peeling the parrot off his face.

Genie flew backwards, looking into the jaws of the water. “Jeezum crow! This is worse than I thought!” It grunted basely, a malicious reply, reaching out for him with thousands of strong, foaming arms. Genie could see that inside the swell, electric currents were firing off.

“Hope this works...” Genie aimed his magic at the sand that was swirling in the air. He commanded the grains to suspend, gather, squeeze, meld...

“don't worry Abu, we're almost to Agrabah,” Jasmine winced. “Or at least, I think we are!” Aladdin turned himself once more. “--But is Genie all right?!”

“He must have done something,” Jasmine said, in a normal tone. They were soaked to the bone, and the wave still seemed to be all around them, but they were putting distance between the force and themselves.

“Look!” Aladdin pointed back at the wave. Something was crystallizing in front of it, holding it back — Genie was turning the sand into glass!

“Way to go, Genie!” Aladdin yelled back into the mist emphatically.

At that moment, they could see that they were farther along than they thought; merely a few yards away from smacking into the side of the palace.

“Aaa!” Iago and Jasmine screamed.

Aladdin called over the side, “Carpet, slow down, slow down!” Carpet put on the brakes! The wall of the palace was still coming up too fast. In a sudden shift, Carpet dodged into one of the arched windows.

They rushed down one of the corridors. Aladdin hollered “Hang on!”, trying to steer around the plants and startled guards. Finally the hallway ended and the gang came into the throne room, where they coasted to a stop before the Sultan.

Looking at the wet, filthy crew, the Sultan chanced, “Aladdin, what in the world --?”

Aladdin helped Jasmine and the animals off Carpet, then hopped back on. “No time to explain Sultan. I've got to go help Genie!”

“Aladdin wait!” Jasmine called after him, but they had taken off without a moment to lose.

***

“Genie!” Aladdin shouted below.

A dome was beginning to crystallize all around Agrabah; Aladdin searched for the source, where Genie would certainly be standing. He found it, at the very edge of the city, beginning to be pushed back...

Aladdin had jumped off Carpet and was running to Genie’s side, but as he looked up into the water’s wrath, he slowed his pace to a nervous walk.

“G..Genie?” he swallowed.

Genie’s eyes were shut tight. “don't worry -- nnk! -- I got it Al!” His forehead was furrowed with perspiration, and the veins in his neck stood out. Magic went forth from his outstretched palms, giving the dome a faint glow. “I have to keep re-enforcing the glass with magic; the glass would -- urk! -- never hold it all back by itself! Whew, this is a real workout!”

Aladdin put his hands against the glass, wishing he could see out.

“we're trapped. How is Mozenrath doing this? He must have gathered all the water from every waterhole around the desert! How can he make it all pound on us like this? Not even he’s that powerful...”

Uuk! Beats me, Al -- no pun intended!!”

“Well one thing’s for sure Genie; we won't find out shelled up in here. I've got to try and stop him!”

“don't know if I can help ya there,” Genie grimaced. His shaking body slid back, and he struggled forward. “I would build a glass tunnel out, but --nk!-- I have my hands full ...just keeping this pressure out!”

Aladdin sighed dismally. “It’s okay Genie, just keep doing what you're doing. We'll figure something out..”

Citizens of Agrabah had gathered in the streets, holding one another and pointing upwards nervously. The sky, which was sweltering with the heat of the sun moments before, was now a glass dome holding back a pummeling, exploding, wriggling storm of water. The land was dark with an unnatural feel, harsher than the nighttime, more haunting than an eclipse. The billows of the “sky” groaned and growled to the people below, snapping at the invisible cage that kept it from crushing and engulfing them.

Aladdin pressed his forehead against the dome, frowning with closed eyes.

“You can't keep this up forever Genie,” Aladdin said quietly. “If only we could...”

His eyes opened slowly, then lit up.

“...Release some of the pressure!”

Genie opened one eye. “What was that?”

“Genie! Can you make little holes — pores -- whatever! -- in the dome?!”

“Well, I suppose I could, but why would I want to do that?!”

“Just small pores...to make it rain!...”

Genie looked to the side for a moment, then a big grin. “...Saaaay! Great idea, Al! It’s just —“

Small bursting noises, like that of a bottle top popping off, could be heard echoing from the top of the dome. Genie’s muscles relaxed a bit.

“–What the doctor ordered!”

Two drops. Six. Twenty.

A small shower fell on Agrabah. Cries of surprise and joy resounded throughout the city! Children scampered about in the rain, pointing up excitedly. Parents ran into their houses to fetch jugs and set them outside for filling. Neighbors embraced each other, realizing that their crops were saved.

Genie smiled to Aladdin. “Looks like the monsoon got here after all!”

Aladdin clapped his hands together. “True, but we still have to restore order and stop Mozenrath! Genie, can you get me to the other end of this storm now?”

Genie glanced at him. “Yes. I can.”

He looked at his friend with downcast eyes for a moment more, then turned to begin opening up the dome. A circular sector of the glass began to glow hot, bubble, and ripple away... Sand flew up from Agrabah’s streets and rushed into the hole. The grains solidified and sparkled, creating a glass tube that ran into the water’s stormy body. Aladdin and Carpet felt antsy, listening to the crystalline tinkle of the glass forming deeper and deeper into the abyss.

When the tinkling could no longer be heard, Aladdin walked up to the dome and chanced peering down into the shaft. He was surprised by what he saw; it was not a slide going on into infinity as he guessed; it stopped about 15 feet into the water. Then end of it was not open; it was melded together by hot sand particles — fused, but glowing hot.

He turned to Genie, confused.

“That’s the catch, Al,” he replied sadly. “The glass will have to keep replacing itself with itself, like a long bubble floating along. A permanent tube would require a lot more pressure being released” — he gestured towards the top of dome — “but more as in a flood!”

Genie sighed, looking at Aladdin worriedly. “Al, I can't help you once you step in, and I can't get you back once you get to the source of this water..”

“That’s all right, Genie. I know you've done your best. Now it’s time for me to do mine!” Hopping on Carpet once again, he said, “Let’s do it.”

The magic carpet coasted up to the conduit, allowing Aladdin to step in. It then rolled itself up and lay across his legs. “But it’s dangerous for you to go up against Mozenrath alone!” Genie protested.

Aladdin nodded. “I know Genie, but I don't want anyone else to get hurt, and you have to stay here with the dome. don't worry; I'll make it back!”

With that, he smiled and did a thumbs up. Genie waved to him, weakly. Aladdin pushed Carpet and himself off, and they began to slide down the shaft. The tinkling sound returned as the conduit broke away from the dome behind him, sealing itself, and the sand re-moleculized in front of Aladdin’s feet, creating and breaking down the slide as he journeyed inside the massive tempest.

“Good luck Al,” Genie whispered.

***

No, no, NO!!” Xerxes and the mamluks cringed at each “no” until they were cowering on the sand.

“This can't be happening. Just when I have Agrabah, something always saves them!”

Mozenrath wheeled around and grabbed Xerxes. Bringing the terrified eel eye to eye with him, he growled, “I know that genie had something to do with this. They don't make snowglobes fit for cities in antique shops!”

No antique!” Xerxes simpered stupidly.

“GAH!” Mozenrath threw the eel in the air impulsively. Shaking his fists, he exploded: “You won't get away this time Aladdin! You and your city will not see another day! I need more WATER! More force! I want to CRUSH -- ...?”

The sorcerer’s eyes dilated. His posture “paused”; mouth open, fists locked, shoulders hunched...

..This was more frightening to his minions than his previous ranting. They tried to sink into the sand without his noticing.

Mozenrath pulled himself upright, smiling now.

“Heh heh ha ha ha ha.”

He strided confidently towards the west.

“Come on Xerxes,” he grinned, snapping his fingers, “we're gonna go get more water!”

***

Abu and Iago did backstrokes in a small pond gathering in the dip of the main street.

“Well, finally we've got an out-door pool, and schizo-boy to thank for it!” Iago trumpeted. “I hope he comes up with more 'bright ideas’ to take over Agrabah soon!”

Abu agreed, but squeaked weakly in the direction where Genie and Jasmine were standing. He chattered Aladdin’s name sadly, splashing the pool.

“Hey watch it, monkey!” Iago cawed. More softly, he came over to Abu’s side of the puddle and put one wing around him assuredly.

“don't worry! Al can take care of himself!”

Jasmine put her hand on Genie’s shoulder. “He wouldn't have let any of us come, to be in danger.”

Genie nodded sadly. “Still, Al has always needed our help to face an evil magician like Mozenrath, and this time he’s on his own and — AUGH!”

Suddenly his body was pushed back a full foot by the pressure of the water’s slam. He stumbled forward, wheezing.

“Wh-what?! What is it?!” Jasmine gasped.

The beads of sweat returned to Genie’s forehead. “I..It’s the pressure ... even though it’s raining... I ...I can barely hold it!” His eyes shut painfully, his blue lips were pulled back from his gums. “AUGH! It’s getting STRONGER!”

Abu screeched raucously. Before Jasmine could address Genie again, she circled around to see what had happened to the monkey. Abu was shrieking and hopping up and down in the puddle, rubbing his eyes fiercely.

Iago playfully flinched at the water Abu was splashing up. “Hey, hey monkey, didn't I tell you to cool it — OUCH!” Iago cawed out in surprise and pain.

Jasmine rushed over and picked up Abu. Turning to Iago, she said, “What’s wrong with you two?!”

The parrot was hopping around the perimeter of the puddle, rubbing his eyes in the same violent matter as Abu. “I don't know, I don't know! The water..it burns!

Jasmine slowly turned her head back down to Abu, rolling around and rubbing his eyes in her lap. Her glance shifted to the water, and back to Abu.

“No...” she began. Jasmine dipped one finger into the puddle, and put the droplet on her tongue.

“.....Salt water.”

Hearing Genie struggle behind her, she set Abu down and petted a finger down Iago’s neck. “don't worry guys; your eyes will adapt in a minute.” She then rose and hurried over to Genie, supporting him with both arms.

“It’s okay, Jas,” he said unconvincingly. “I can take it!”

Jasmine felt him go partially limp in her arms with tire.

“Aladdin. Please hurry,” she prayed.

***

“YAHOOO!” The boy was dry now, but still caked with dirt. He was a hilarious sight to see as he flipped and twisted in the magical glass tube. It burrowed its way steadily to the end of the raging water, where ever it ended. The magical glass bubble automatically took the path of the least water resistance, and very often that was the edge of the swell’s body. When the glass tube got close enough to the border, Aladdin and Carpet could see out and get an idea of where they were.

“Well we're way past the water hole he ambushed us at,” Aladdin said. “Who knows where this thing starts!”

The conduit glowed hot before and after him, replacing the front of the slide with the back of it. Aladdin had grown used to the tinkling sound the glass made as it materialized under his feet, and could not longer hear it consciously.

“This thing seems to go on forever, but Mozenrath must be getting all this water from somewh–“

The storm outside suddenly exploded with anger. Aladdin’s sentence was cut short by the impact of the quake.

Pop! A small piece of glass flew and ricocheted off the other side of the tubing. Aladdin looked up at the sound of it in horror. A small jettison of water was coming out of the hole, then it was glowing hot, then it was gone. The boy held his chest and pounding heart, sighing relief.

Pop!, puh-pop!, pop!.. Six more jettisons streamed into the tube. Aladdin cried out, putting his palms over as many as he could as he slid by.

“What’s happening?! The pressure must have increased! This thing is going to collapse! I'm going to drown!” Carpet attempted to calm the boy’s alarmed outbursts, when a quarter of the tube caved in on them. By the time it was replaced, Aladdin was up to his shoulders in water, and the glass tube was sinking into the body of the storm.

Coughing and splashing, Aladdin shouted miserably, “I don't want to die! Let me out!” In one very disturbed moment, he beat his fists against the narrow tube’s walls.

Carpet acted swiftly. He went under the boys feet, up his back, pulling up his vest, up to his head. The operation was helped by the water and the fact that Aladdin was sliding downwards in the conduit. When he finally reached the back of Aladdin’s head, the carpet pushed up — hard. Aladdin’s forehead connected with the top of the tube, making a distinct cunk! sound, and the boy was out. With that, Carpet winded himself through Aladdin’s arms and under his back, like a cradle or a swing, lifting the unconscious boy up slightly. The tube continued to pop and to fill with water and to sink and lack direction, but the carpet noticed something Aladdin hadn't; the daylight was beginning to shine, penetrating deep down into the storm. Wherever they were, they were coming to the end of this juggernaut, but whether they could get out in time, Carpet didn't know. All he did know is that he would do everything in his power to get Aladdin out of this tomb before he drowned, even if it meant bursting the two of them through that hot glass burning above and below them. Resolved, Carpet pushed Aladdin up to allow him to breathe. His nose was dangerously close to the hot glass, but there was little room for air in the shaft.

The tube was coasting over to the right. Aladdin’s air was running out — still unconscious, the boy coughed miserably. Carpet saw that the shaft was coming to rest on the sand .. but very near to the edge of the massive water body. This was their chance.

Cumpf. The capsule set down gingerly at the bottom of the unnatural sea. The ends flickered out and sealed into clumps. The outside was only a few meters away, to the right. Even with the sunlight, the tube was very dark, and cold.

Despite the danger of disturbing the delicate capsule — it was holding miles of pressure above it, and it looked as if the magic that supported it had died out — the rug slammed with all its force against the right side. It rolled in that direction slightly, and then settled back into its original nest. Carpet pushed again.

Aladdin’s eyes flew open. Carpet heard his regulated breathing stop suddenly, and looked at him fearing he would react with alarm once more.

Aladdin shivered and croaked, “I'm all right Carpet.” He calmly turned his head to the right, realizing what Carpet was trying to do. “Let me take a stab at it!”

The boy, much more powerful than the carpet, hurled his body against the right side of the tube, and kept his weight there when it began to roll. Carpet could only watch anxiously; the tube was beginning to crack with branching lines; the water sloshed around inside; Aladdin put his head up to breathe the last of the air, coughing and wheezing, then went underwater to slam into the side of the tube again. More cracking...

Carpet was aware that the tube had completely filled with water. It was dark, dark -- cold and silent. The sea above them groaned waywardly. They were not rolling any longer. Carpet could not tell where Aladdin was — didn't want to tell. It sadly curled up, thinking it was alone with the drowned body of his wonderful master, it had failed him, had not gotten him out, only cowered in the bottom of the tomb when his master most needed him. Now he was trapped in this dark prison for eternity, until a new adventurer found him, but he would never go a day without thinking about his loving master that he failed, failed, --

Thousands of bubbles rushed over Carpet as Aladdin flung himself against the side again, unexpectedly. Carpet could not see him in the dark, but felt him crash into the side again, felt the rolling once more.

--They were out! The sun hit them grandly, and they knew they were out! Carpet billowed in the water with glee ... but now he could see that Aladdin really was resting at the bottom of the tube, not moving.

The rug had been given another chance, and wouldn't fail Aladdin this time. Without hesitation, the magic carpet flew up to the top of the water capsule and began to fly, to lift. The boy, the glass, the water, everything, was incredibly heavy, but one glass end began to lift out of the sand, then the entire tube, then they were in the air. Aladdin sank to the bottom of the now vertical tube, in a natal position.

Carpet could barely carry all the weight, let alone fly and carry it, but he managed to move the conduit into position over a large rock below. Trying to lift the tube up a little higher into the air, to assure that the glass would break, Carpet released it. As they fell, the rug wrapped itself around Aladdin’s body to shield him from the glass shards and the impact with the rock.

They crashed onto the hard surface. The glass exploded; in fact, the water did too. Carpet sheltered Aladdin, but he still hit the rock hard. It bumped the boy awake, and he coughed water out of his lungs rawly.

Ecstatic to hear him breathing again, the rug flew Aladdin away from their crash site and hovered above the sand, bouncing him on its billows.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Aladdin smiled, holding his head. “I'm fine, ...n...never felt better! You don't think something as little as 40 billion pounds of angry magical water could take out guys like you and me, do ya Carpet?!” He laughed as Carpet wheeled around and brayed and kicked like a rodeo horse.

When they had recovered, they got a good look at their surroundings. Sharp, dark rocks all around; the desert had ended some miles behind them. To their left and above was the hideous worm of water that stretched from where they were all the way to back to Agrabah. Before them, the sun was beginning to set ...

...Behind the Persian Gulf. They had come to the edge of the land, where Mozenrath had found his infinite water supply — the ocean itself. But a more ghastly sight had taken their full attention.

“What in God’s creation...” Aladdin strained his neck back to see the full gambit of the view.

The Persian Gulf was divided into two halves. A pathway lay between it — of ocean floor, rocks, shells, wriggling fish — and the water was kept apart by curved waves, rushing up, like the ocean had dammed itself into two parts with its own body.

Out of view, down the cryptic hallway, Mozenrath’s sinister voiced boomed off the walls of water so loud, Aladdin was knocked off his feet.

“GREETINGS, ALADDIN. won't YOU COME IN?”

Aladdin came up to his elbows, shaking his head dizzily. Carpet glided up beside him, and Aladdin got on quickly. Without hesitation, the magical carpet flew forward into the hallway.

“Coming, Mozenrath, coming,” Aladdin said grimly.

He was not surprised that as they went forward, the waves bowed behind them, cutting off the entrance.

ALAAAAADIIIINN,” Xerxes’s raw voice resonated.

***

“CLOSER, ALADDIN .... CLOSER ...”

Aladdin and Carpet did not flinch, flying forward steadfastly. It was amazing that they could hear the sorcerer’s taunts in perfect clarity, despite the thunder of the collapsing waves behind them.

Eventually, the passageway ended at a great arena. The sky was red as blood, the spongy earth was brown and stank. Dying fish looked like silver coins shining as they jumped around in the last glimmer of the sun. In the midst, Mozenrath sat patiently on a coral stump, beaming. Xerxes chuckled and curled up around his shoulders. The sorcerer scratched under the eel’s gill approvingly.

Carpet arrived and stopped a few feet into the terrain. Aladdin stepped off. Feet spread apart, fists curled at his sides, daggers in his eyes, Aladdin began, “You never did get around to telling me how you did all this, Mozenrath.”

The boy in black sighed. He folded his fingers outward, cracking his knuckles, as he rose from his seat. Almost bored, Mozenrath strolled towards Aladdin.

The Hero did not move as the sorcerer stopped in front of him, mimicking his position. The two handsome youths stood there like that, perfect antipodes, confronting each other with the sheer aura of their determination. For a moment, the companions watching this impasse were spellbound by the power emanating from their masters’ conflicting destinies.

Mozenrath slowly began to lift his gauntleted hand before Aladdin. His palm was open towards the Hero, as if he planned to push him back. Aladdin awaited the blast...

“With this,” the sorcerer replied. A long golden rod began to materialize horizontally between the two men. When it had fully appeared, Mozenrath curled his fingers around it, and took it out of the air.

“The Triton of Atlantis,” he said, and whipped his head to the right. Mozenrath aimed the triton at the right half of the arena.

“Go back!” The middle prong of the triton dwindled and the two outer prongs lengthened. The water on the right side rushed backwards violently.

Mozenrath turned to the left and switched the Triton into his left hand. Aiming it, he said “Come forward!” The middle prong thrust forward and the other two receded; the water on the left pummeled towards them.

Directing it skillfully, Mozenrath commaned the water to pause just over Aladdin’s head, poised to crush him in its arch. “Amazing, isn't it?” the sorcerer grinned. Aladdin did not answer. He hadn't moved from his position in the slightest.

Mozenrath made a half-smile and rolled his eyes, using the Triton as a walking stick as he came towards Aladdin. They were abreast, eyes staring deeply into the other’s loathed soul. Mozenrath smiled, sincerely now, and whispered in Aladdin’s ear:

“I know you're brave, Hero. And I know the problem with being the Hero is being brave all the time. Even when you really should run away. That’s why there are so few heroes in this world; it’s unacceptable to the people that a Hero use his good sense and turn away. I want you to know that I realize you're a hero, and if you turn back this time, I won't think any less of you.”

“don't give me so much credit, Mozenrath.”

Aladdin socked him in the mouth. The boy in black gave a startled cry as he landed on his back in the spongy muck. His bottom lip was split open, his upper lip was split in two places. Blood flowed warm and straightway down his chin before he even registered the pain, staining the white wrap around his neck. Although it must have only lasted a few seconds, Mozenrath was angry, angry at being aware of how unaware he was; his vision was spinning, his head throbbed, his front teeth hurt. His balance and good sense, for the moment, was recooperating from Aladdin’s sudden blow, and there was nothing he could do about it but try to get up and fall down again.

***

Aladdin looked down from Carpet, back at Mozenrath as they soared off into the ruby sky above the battlefield. Mozenrath was glaring up at him, shivering with rage, white as a ghost, lips peeled painfully back from his gums, only aware of a murderous hatred and not the pain he was causing himself by splitting his lips further. Blood covered the lower half of his face like a red beard, including the contours of his teeth. What Aladdin saw next chilled him to the bone; it may have just been the last rays of the sun reflecting off Mozenrath’s brown irises, but Aladdin knew better: Mozenrath’s pupils were truly on fire, a yellow flame with a greenish tip, flickering with unparalleled levels of hate. A momentary gateway opened up between their two minds, or at least, Aladdin felt a revelation coming from Mozenrath’s inner being. The boy on the carpet was an abomination, and eradicating it was imperative. He would suddenly recall this supernatural hatred — or experience the revelation all over again -- at night, just as he was about to fall asleep: Aladdin would see apparitions of those blazing eyes appearing over him, a gloved hand reaching for his throat ... Then he would scream and kick the sheets off himself in terror, and a frightened Jasmine would try to restrain him.

“YOU WILL DIE!” the boy in black screamed, aiming his Triton at the Hero. The water that sat still in an arch over Aladdin’s original position came to life and pursued the flying carpet.

Aladdin and Carpet flew around the perimeter; the wave followed their movements. Aladdin felt the familiar splatters of water on his back.

“we've got to get that thing away from him, Carpet!” he shouted. “we've got to — WHOA!”

Another crest had come around the bend in front of them; they were about to be smashed between the two swelling hands of water. In a quick move, Carpet dodged out towards the middle of the arena, and the crests crashed into each other. The water still pursued them from behind as they rode full speed towards Mozenrath.

The sorcerer looked at this move, disgusted, coughing a bubble of blood defiantly. He dramatically swept his arm and billowing cape up, annoyed that he was going through the trouble, and disappeared and reappeared in another part of the arena. There he crossed his arms and watched the pursuit once more, sourly.

“He’s on the left, Carpet,” Aladdin shouted firmly. “Go towards him again, but this time go over him!”

Carpet didn't completely understand, but did as his master commanded. They headed straight for the sorcerer once more, but too high in the sky to confront him head on.

Mozenrath cocked his head to the side, bemused. He tilted his neck up to watch the pursuit as it was about to sail over his head.

His eyes widened in horror. “..No --“ He tried to aim the Triton at Aladdin before —

--Aladdin came down on top of Mozenrath, kicking the Triton out of his hand. The worm of water kept after Carpet, who flew up and away. Below, Aladdin and Mozenrath struggled with one another viciously. They clamped their fists around the others throat and rolled around in the swampy coral, not fully aware that they were trying to kill each other.

Aladdin screamed. Something with sharp, serrated teeth had bit him in the ankle. He knew without looking that it was Xerxes.

Aladdin stamped his foot with frenzy; the little eel refused to let go. Finally, he squashed Xerxes’s torso with his other heel, hard -- the little snake squealed and slithered away cowardly. Aladdin felt deep pain in the tissues of his foot; it collapsed under him as he tried to walk on it. Stumbling backwards, Aladdin had a crazy moment to think of Achilles and his ill-fated heel before he lost his balance and fell on his behind in the muck. Aladdin heard Mozenrath charging up his Gauntlet, and ducked for cover.

CRACK! The coral mound that Aladdin had hid behind was completely annihilated, a smoking pit. Aladdin jumped as far as he could when he realized his cover was blown, and none too soon; another smoldering pit was made of where he was crouching a second before. Injured heel or not, Aladdin found the motivation to run to another nearby pile of rotted coral; Mozenrath fried it before he could get to it. Reeling around, Aladdin headed for another; again, Mozenrath obliterated it and sent out a second shot directly in front of Aladdin’s path. The shock sent the boy flying back.

Aladdin was about to get up again, but instead held up his hands in surrender. Mozenrath stood before him with his Gauntlet aimed. It glowed around his fist with unnatural black and red fiery tongues.

“Um, Mozenrath? About that credit you were thinking about giving me!...”

“COCKROACH,” the sorcerer gurgled through his blood. He was not in the mood for banter. The Gauntlet charged up and prepared to release.

At that moment, Carpet comically flew between Mozenrath’s legs and scudded off to his left. Mozenrath looked down, then left, then paused...and then wheeled around quickly.

“AU–“ The sorcerer yelled, shooting the wave with flashes from his Gauntlet, but his scream was not completed. His blasts turned the tip of the juggernaut into steam immediately, but it wasn't enough; the wave slammed into Mozenrath and picked him up off his feet, blindly pursing Carpet.

Aladdin struggled to stand once more, and limped over to the forgotten Triton. He dropped it the first time, unprepared for its weight. Picking it up again, Aladdin pointed it shakily at the body of water that stretched to Agrabah.

“Come back,” he tried to shout, unsurprised at how weak his voice was now. Nevertheless, the middle prong of the Triton flexed, and the water receded back towards him.

Aladdin whistled for Carpet, and the magic rug — at least 50 yards away — immediately changed direction and headed back to its master.

“Come back, come back, come back!” Aladdin aimed the Triton all around the arena, including at the homing wave that followed Carpet.

He licked his lips. “I hope this works...” Carpet flew by and he jumped on, and they were off.

Carpet found himself being pursued once more as the water followed the Triton like a moth to a flame. “Stay along the ravine for a second, Carpet,” Aladdin said. “We have to get Mozenrath out of that thing before he drowns.”

Aladdin could see flashes of a black figure inside the left frontal lobe of the gargantuan wave.

Pointing the Triton at it, he commanded, “Go back!”, and the water there burst backwards, momentarily revealing Mozenrath’s arm and shoulder and then engulfing him again.

“Go back, go back, go back!” he commanded. With each shout, the wave peeled away from Mozenrath...

...The look of the sorcerer terrified Aladdin enough to almost drop the Triton. As the wave revealed him, his eyes were wide open, his face grim and his hatred focused on Aladdin. The rest of his body was limp and controlled by the swells that jostled him, but Mozenrath was very much aware, keeping his glare on Aladdin.

The worst part of it all was that Mozenrath was completely dry.

The Hero gathered his wits, fumbling the Triton. “G..go back!” he commanded one last time, completely freeing Mozenrath from the crest.

Aladdin had thought that he would have to pull Mozenrath out himself, but as soon as the wizard was freed he swept his cape and disappeared.

“He ... he’s gone.” Aladdin blinked. He whipped his head around, looking for the other boy briefly, but then turned his attention to the matter at hand. “all right Carpet, now take us straight up! we're gonna bury this knick-knack once and for all!” Again, the magic carpet didn't understand, but followed along with Aladdin’s idea.

The carpet went vertical, up into the stars that were beginning to come out. Aladdin held onto Carpet with one hand and let the Triton pull in the water behind them with the other. “Higher, Carpet, higher!” They soared up faster, scudding along the inclines of the wind, racing up to the leafy clouds that blanketed the heavens. Miles away, the shimmer of the Triton looked like a star trying to rejoin its companions, being followed by a funnel-shaped body of water. “Just a little more, Carpet!” Aladdin shouted. Carpet climbed with renewed strength. They broke through moist cloud streams and entered a chilly layer of the atmosphere. “Now!” Aladdin released the Triton, and saw it disappear back into the clouds. Carpet broke off course and deviated into the direction of Agrabah.

Mozenrath heard an object splash down into the spongy filth, and began walking towards it. Xerxes followed, but not closely: Mozenrath was in a very bad mood.

He stooped down, grunting, and was about to feel into the muck when he looked up. The entire sky was falling, only the sky was a sea. “Gah!” Mozenrath said, turning and sweeping his cape over his head. Xerxes squirmed into the collapsing cloak just in time.

Only a split second later, the arena was no more. The sea crashed onto the enticing Triton. Every molecule wanted to touch it; the weight of the sea’s frenzy pushed the magical object down and away, to be kept covetously by the waves forever.

***

Jasmine wrapped Aladdin’s foot gingerly. Despite her care, he groaned and whined childishly, tossing and beating his fists into the pillows.

Smiling, she asked, “So, just wanted to 'check things out just in case’, hmm Hero?”

Aladdin turned to the ceiling, giving up his dramatics. “Remind me next time to just mind my own business!”

Rooo, Awadinn! Abu squeaked happily, hugging his neck. Iago landed on his shoulder. “Not bad, kiddo not bad! Almost chopped to pieces by mamluks, crushed by a water monster, drowned in an glass duct, bit by a rabid eel, fried by a ranting sorcerer — and you managed to only involve the parrot in two out of five! I hope this change will be a permanent trend in our partnership!”

Aladdin smiled comically and shrugged.

“Comes with the territory, right Carpet?”

The little rug perked up and used its tassels to do a salute. Everyone laughed at his antics.

Jasmine rose and went over to the window. Looking out on Agrabah at night, she sighed sweetly. “Now that Mozenrath is gone and everything is in balance again, I'm sure that the rains will come naturally, and fall on us soon.”

“No, no, no,” the parrot moaned. “Give us hail! Flies! Locusts! ANYTHING but water!”

A loud sneeze boomed out of the corner, followed by a bubbly sniffle.

Jasmine spun around. “Oh, I'm sorry Genie; I forgot all about you!” Trotting over to him, she put her hand on his blue forehead. “How are you feeling?”

Genie lay bundled up in a little bed, with a thermometer sticking out of the corner of his mouth. He sniffed again. “I’mb vine. Just a liddle stuvvy. ACHOO!”

“I'm sorry you got a cold, Genie,” Aladdin apologized from his sick bed on the other side of the chamber.

“Id okay, Al. I gueth I gan’t go play in dee new outdoor pool wid dee udder kids tuh morrow — RAAACHOO!”

“Ha!” Iago barked, flying over to Genie’s bed. “A semi-phenomenal nearly cosmic genie with a summer cold -- now I've seen it all!”

The gang laughed once again at the irony, including Genie, and the arid land of Agrabah was safe from Mozenrath’s downpour of evil, for one more cool summer night.