Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Nobility of Faith by Adiba
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
Nobility of Faith


When one does something repeatedly, even if it is pointless, it begins to take on meaning.

As he looked down upon his feet, they were hardly distinguishable from the sand underneath them.The sand was darkened by the dirt of the city and his feet were darkened by the sun and dirt in which he spent the days of his young life. The sweat glistened on his forehead and made his black hair stick uncomfortably to his skin. His heart was still pounding not from the chase but perhaps from the confusion of the day. He won't be eating today. You see, he managed to run away and save his life but he did not manage to steal something to eat. And so he walks on into the evening, through the lonely streets to his hovel. The same roads, the same feeling. It is what he does and will do......till death perhaps? He looked up at the road ahead and for a moment forced himself to hold his head up. 'Be proud. They haven't caught you. They can't catch you.? Suddenly it all had sense. Tomorrow he will fool them again.

Mornings were loud in Agrabah. Nights were deathly quiet. It was a city full of life. Like a brilliant star amid the dark sky, Agrabah was but a tiny city in the middle of the Arabian desert. It was a city of about thirty thousand people and the population had been the same number for centuries. The delicate balance of the city and its people created a magical atmosphere to which many came from far abroad to see. The people of Agrabah were ruled by a good sultan who was a descendent of a long line of wise rulers. Despite all its virtues, there were many poor in Agrabah. Many babies were left alone because their mothers died during birth. These orphans usually did not make it as well, and people were too poor to take them in. What the people of Agrabah lacked in wealth, they made up in culture.

Aladdin stirred as the sun crept into his eyes and gently awakened him. The sun was already halfway up in the sky. A rustling came from the corner of the room. Abu had apparently managed to find some nuts and was busy cracking the shells. Abu realized Aladdin had awakened and was looking at him. Abu stopped and looked back. He then gathered up all the untouched nuts that he had and brought them over to Aladdin. Aladdin felt a warmth in his heart. They were Abu?s nuts after all and Aladdin knew that he must have gone through much trouble to get them. He looked over at the place where Abu was sitting and noticed only two empty shells.

?Are you giving them all to me?? he asked. Abu just stared at him and set them down in front of Aladdin. There was more compassion in a little monkey than there was in anyone Aladdin had ever met before. No one would ever give him anything or sacrifice anything for him. They would rather see him thrown into the dungeon to rot. Abu was no longer his pet, he was his friend.

After eating a few nuts he made his way to the window. He did this every morning to watch the privileged children make their way to school. He marvelled at their attire, the way they laughed and talked to each other of inaudible things. Their faces full of joy, pride, and knowledge of unimaginable things. The girls looked so pretty in their bright purple veils. How he wished he were the one talking to one of them. Today was Saturday and it was a very special day for Agrabah. The annual pilgrimage to Mekkah was to stop in Agrabah as one of its resting spots. There were to be many people resting in Agrabah that night. The whole city seemed busier than usual. Merchants were getting ready for huge sales, guards were resting, and thieves were anticipating. Aladdin himself knew of how many homeless ?rats? will be out scavenging tonight.

?Come on Abu, let?s go down to the waterhole. We'll wash up if there?s no one there.?

That, of course, was ridiculous because the waterhole was always busy. It was merely an excuse to go outside. A goal or destination of some sort. With Abu by his side, Aladdin went down the broken flight of stairs and climbed down the ladder off the roof. In order to get to the street Aladdin had to climb down someone?s balcony. This got him into a lot of trouble in the past so he devised a plan to get down from the building adjacent to the one he was on. All he had to do is to get from one building to another. He did this by using a wooden stick he had found in one of the abandoned houses in the outskirts of the city. He simply used the stick as a vault that transported him to the other building and then descended easily off it. It was a difficult way to get home but it kept the guards away. No one in the city knew where he lived and he intended to keep it that way.

The waterhole was even busier than usual. There was a long line for water. Everyone wanted to have water for the people travelling on the hajj in case they asked for a refreshment. These people were on a holy trip and deserved the highest respect in any city they decided to stay at. Aladdin sat down under a tree nearby and observed the scene. Some time later he heard a voice ask,

?Would you like some water? I've got plenty.? Aladdin turned to look in the direction of the voice and saw a young girl holding a jug of water. She was younger than him. Around twelve or thirteen. No more than fifteen. She was dressed in a blue skirt and veil and her face was round and pleasant.

?I don't want to take any of your water. You've been waiting in line to receive it.? Aladdin answered. He was dying of thirst and he noticed it when she brought up the subject. He wished she would insist that way he would be free to take it. The girl poured some water into her cupped hand and placed her hands under his mouth.

?Drink some, you look like a dried date, all dark and dry.? she said giggling at her observation. Aladdin looked at her curiously which made her blush and look away. He took her hands into his and tilted them. He barely had a drop of water because all of it had spilled through her fingers and evaporated in the scorching sun. She had noticed that he had barely anything to drink and was about to hand him some more when all of a sudden they were startled by a loud yell. Her father had noticed her talking to Aladdin and was outraged. Not only had she talked to a boy, the boy was a homeless orphan. A street rat. A nobody. He pulled the girl back and smacked her. Aladdin turned his head in disgust and pity. The girl let out a small scream and ran to her mother. He then looked at Aladdin. His eyes wide with rage. His mouth cursing bitterly. Then Aladdin saw something flash in the sunlight. A dagger.

?I am going to skin you alive, you beast!? the man spat at him. Aladdin dashed into the crowd and into a nearby alley. He ran as fast as his feet could carry him. But the man was in his forties. He could not possibly catch up with Aladdin. Aladdin was just seventeen. He decided to look back to see if the man was gaining on him. He was. He was almost behind him. Then he noticed that it was not the young girl?s father chasing him but another boy near his age, possibly a little older.

?How dare you dishonor my sister, you scum!!? the young man yelled at Aladdin. He too was holding a dagger. Apparently the girl?s father knew he was incapable of catching such a young man so he sent out his son to do the job. Dishonor? He just drank from her hands. Aladdin got angry. He stopped running and turned towards the approaching boy.

?I don't have to run. You think a dagger can harm me? You obviously don't know me. And I did not dishonor your sister. She asked me if I was thirsty and I was so, I drank.?

Before Aladdin had finished speaking the boy dashed at him with the dagger but stopped short before plunging it into his chest and let out a painful scream. Aladdin looked down and saw Abu gnawing at the boy?s leg. Aladdin was surprised at the monkey?s fast action and very grateful for it.

?Nice going, pal! Let?s get out of here now.? They dashed off into the dark alley and left the boy grasping his leg in pain.

?Pal??, the boy yelled after them helplessly, ?Your only friend is a monkey! Ha! A monkey!!? Aladdin was far away now but he managed to hear these words. Abu was his friend, his only friend? No, but the only one who had saved his life.

The hajj had arrived and was gathering at the cities main mosque. The square surrounding the mosque looked like a pool of white pebbles. Each one the head of a prayerful pilgrim. The square was located directly in the middle of the city and connected many of the roads of the city. Aladdin had reached this place now and noticed the big crowd of people, bowing and praying to Allah. Aladdin watched on in amazement. He had never seen such a gathering of people before. The imam was leading a prayer from the top tower of the mosque. Aladdin was fascinated by religion, although he hadn't anyone to teach it to him. His mother had read the Koran when she was still alive but the book -as many other of their possessions- had been stolen by robbers or traded in for food or money. Aladdin did not recall trading the Koran, so he assumed it was stolen. Either way he liked the thought of religion. It was something people believed in and ran away to. It must have been really powerful because people of different backgrounds, personalities, genders, and races all joined together to worship. It must have felt as comforting as lying in your mother?s arms or a gentle kiss from the woman that you loved. How he longed to know of religion and be part of this wonder of hajj.

Aladdin wanted to get a better view of the ceremony so he climbed on an awning of a nearby vendor. From there he could see the ceremonies that were being held at the foot of the mosque. The people that were gathered were not only the pilgrims but locals as well. Mothers, children, and elders all gathered to pray and pay homage to Allah. Aladdin thought of the name, Allah. What a wonderful name that was. Many Arabic names were associated with His name. The name Abdullah, for example, meant servant of Allah. Aladdin did not know of anyone named Abdullah. Many sultans and princes possessed this name. He thought of his own name. Was it associated with Allah as well? Was it as wonderful as ?servant of Allah.? If it was, he could have some connection with Allah for he would be dubbed as his servant. He decided to ask his friend Saib about it when he returned home. Saib was an old beggar who claimed to know Allah and that Allah frequently told him of what was to come. He might sound a little loony but Aladdin was sure he could tell him what his name meant. He was an expert in these things.

The ceremony had become very quiet now. It was a moment of personal prayer and secret petitions to Allah. Aladdin watched every face. So deeply concerned and detached were these faces. Everyone praying for themselves or their family. For money or for the release of a prisoner. Aladdin closed his eyes and also prayed. He did not know how but he prayed. He asked to know Allah better. To be one of these people lost in their prayers. He prayed for a better future. He prayed for love.

While Aladdin was lost in his thoughts, he heard someone weeping. He noticed the weeping was coming from a woman dressed in black. Her cries broke through the silence of the prayers. She bowed down and touched the ground with her forehead, turned around and was about to leave when her eyes met Aladdin?s. Aladdin had not noticed he had been staring at her for so long. She looked to be in her mid thirties. She had a long face and a bony nose. Her lips were thin and red from all the sobbing. One thing that caught Aladdin?s attention were her eyes. Extremely beautiful eyes. They were big and dark. They were the features that completely overpowered the rest of her face. Her black veil made them stand out even more. She had stopped crying now and her expression turned from grief to pity as she looked at Aladdin. She stared back for so long that Aladdin had to look away. When he glanced back at her, she was still looking at him and making her way in his direction. What was she going to do? Get her husband to hunt him down? What did she want with Aladdin? He jumped off the awning and was prepared to run off when she called to him:

?Young man! Young man! Do not run off. I want to help you.? Aladdin turned around and was faced with those intimidating eyes. ?Come to my house and I will feed you. I've made plenty of food.?

?Why would you want to help me?? asked Aladdin, very aware of who he was.

?I have my reasons. I will tell you about myself when we get to my house.? She went ahead of Aladdin and glanced back to notion him to follow her. She had a warm smile that was contagious and Aladdin must have smiled back in spite of himself. He followed her down the street, then turned down another, and then another. They walked along in silence. Had Allah listened to his prayers? Why would someone just offer Aladdin food or even smile at him. He was not used to this and it made him feel uneasy. Maybe she would offer him work. That would be marvellous if she did.

?My name is Dahta.? Aladdin was startled by her sudden words.

?Aladdin.? he said shyly. She smiled at him again. ?Aladdin,?she repeated.

They arrived at her house. It was on the second floor so they had to climb up a narrow, winding staircase to reach it. She unlocked her door and stepped inside. Aladdin followed her. Her room smelled of soup and incense. It was filled with mirrors and vases. On her walls hung purple wall coverings with a picture of the Holy shrine in Mekkah. She had a few candles lying on the floor and pillows surrounding them. It was a beautiful home decorated by the taste of a woman. A woman with depth and a feel for elegance and beauty. Aladdin appreciated her home and told her so. She thanked him and motioned him to sit down while she brought him something to eat. Moments later she appeared holding a big bowl of steaming soup. She placed it in front of Aladdin and he began to eat. She sat beside him and watched him eat. He barely noticed.

Now, let me tell you who I am. You probably are wondering why I was crying. You see, I am a widow. My husband died a year ago. He died so suddenly that he had not even fathered a child yet. It still hurts deeply and I wear this black veil in mourning. Most of the time I feel lonely and idle. He was my whole life, you see. I pray to Allah everyday to put me out of my misery. To give me a purpose in life again. I can never remarry so my life as a woman feels jeopardized and lost. I was praying at the mosque today, like I usually do, and then I noticed you looking at me, Aladdin. You looked so pitiful, hungry, and lonely. So out of place in the world. Yet I saw something in you that made me wonder why a boy like you would have such a fate. Your eyes were curious despite their emptiness. I felt then that Allah was asking me to help you as a way of helping myself. To help you out of hunger and poverty and allow you to flourish. I hope you don't take offense to this.

Aladdin had been listening to her intensively but he did not fully understand. It felt like a story from a dream. He did not know how to respond to her but felt like he needed to.?My father and mother died too. A long time ago. My mother died when I was two years old and my father died right after I was born.? He felt that relating his losses to hers would make him worthier of her friendship. Her eyes became warmer and full of compassion.

?Maybe we were meant to meet, to replace our losses with each other.? Her voice was full of excitement. Aladdin felt uncomfortable. She made him her object of redemption and was closing in on him. The eyes that caught his attention in the beginning now were the eyes that were holding him in place and kept him from running away. Dahta felt his uneasiness and decided to change the topic. She looked at his pants and noticed that the pant leg had a hole in it.

?I can mend those for you,? she offered. He looked at the hole which he never even realized was there.

?I have some gold fabric that I bought at the market a while back.? She went over to a cupboard next to the stove and opened it. Inside was the golden fabric. She took out a knife and cut a piece of the fabric off. She then got a needle and some string and went over to Aladdin.

? Now don't move around or I'll poke you. I finally have something to use this fabric for.? she laughed.

The stars were out already when Aladdin said goodbye.

?Come visit me tomorrow.? she said as he was leaving.

?Thank you, Dahta. I'll visit you. I have nowhere else to go.? Aladdin waved to her and left. Abu was waiting for him outside the building. Aladdin had forgotten he was there. He felt sorry for the monkey so he took him up on his shoulder and started off for home.

Saib was sitting in his usual spot in the alley, humming to himself, or talking to himself, it all sounded the same. Aladdin placed some nuts in front of Saib and sat beside him. Saib examined them and put them in his pocket.

?Aladdin,? he said with his toothless, decaying mouth, ?What brings you here today??

?I want to know what my name means.? Aladdin asked the beggar.

?Your name? Why would I tell you the meaning of your name for a few measly nuts?? Aladdin got angered at Saib?s dumb arrogance.

?Oh, and I suppose others are giving you gold in exchange for your muttering?? Saib looked at him with a threatening look but Aladdin just laughed. Saib gave in.

? I'd be glad to tell you that your name does not mean 'Servant of Allah,?? the beggar boasted. Aladdin?s heart skipped a beat. How would he know that? He never spoke to him about wanting his name to be associated with Allah. It must have been a lucky guess. After all, the man was crazy. Aladdin decided to ask him anyway:

?Why would you think I wanted my name to mean 'Servant of Allah??? The beggar looked at him with foolish superiority.

?I always tell you I know things that others do not. Allah speaks to me Himself? Aladdin was sick of Saib?s nonsense. Allah does not speak to just anybody, especially lowly beggars. If He did not speak to him than why would He speak to Saib?

?Right, I forgot. What does it mean, then?? The beggar looked at him.

?You will be happy with what it means, my friend.? Aladdin was anxious to know.

?Well??

?It means, 'One who has nobility of faith?.?

?'Nobility of faith,?? Aladdin thought to himself. It was sort of appropriate. I mean the only thing that got him through his life was faith. Or was it hope. Well, most likely a need for survival.

?I predict a good future for you, but you must keep the faith.? Aladdin looked at him as if he was some sort of loon. Who was he to get his hopes up. He?s a beggar for goodness sakes!

?All I know is that faith is not what keeps me alive!?

? It is faith. You will learn soon enough. When you do, do not forget me and what I told you. Promise me that, Aladdin.? Saib grabbed a hold of Aladdin?s arm. Aladdin promised him half-heartedly and broke loose.

As he walked he recalled his prayer to Allah at the mosque. He prayed because at that moment, seeing all those pilgrims, he had believed in it. Then he met Dahta. Before, all he had known was hatred. Maybe Saib was right. No, maybe it was his crazy spell that he cast on anyone who spoke to him. People like to hear positive things. That?s just people. Saib could make a fortune telling people what they want to hear!

As he walked towards the bazaar, the streets were awfully crowded. The pilgrims were shopping, the vendors were ecstatic, the thieves were busy! A perfect opportunity to join them. His favorite stand was surrounded by shouting customers. Even better. He'll just sneak up onto the awning and grab some fruit while the vendor is busy with his customers. Aladdin climbed up a balcony and then used a laundry line to swing onto the awning. Now to crouch down so no one sees you! Just as he was positioning himself, he noticed the young girl that offered him the water the other day. That meant her father must be somewhere....

?That?s him!! That?s the imposter! He?s the one who was trying to rape my daughter!? Rape his daughter!!?! A few moments later he saw a crowd of city guards, and palace guards!, headed in his direction. They were all holding swords and chains with his name on them. In that same second, or so it seemed, Aladdin felt a hard tug on his leg and down he went off the awning. His head met the ground with a loud thump. By now all the customers formed a circle around him and the vendor was yelling:

?I got him down! Over here!? The guards all scurried in the direction of the vendor?s voice. There were so many people there that it was hard for the guards to see Aladdin. Aladdin?s head felt as if it were filled with sand. After the sharp pain of the impact, he felt dizzy, nauseous, and afraid. If he didn't regain his senses soon, they would catch him and kill him. He lifted his head and saw a blurry vision of an alley, everything seemed to be underwater. Even breathing through his nose felt wet. He started to crawl towards the image. Clawing into the ground for the security that it was solid. The sound of the guard?s voices was right behind him. The sheer fear of hearing it gave him a boost of adrenaline and miraculously he got on his feet and began to run. He stumbled through the crowd who, by now, were cheering as if it were a bullfight.

?Please don't let them catch me,? his thoughts were racing through his head. He would fool them again, wouldn't he? The guards were gaining on him. They wouldn't let such a prey get away. Aladdin meant a lot to them. He meant a raise, a better position, prestige, you name it. A prisoner meant two weeks of vacation. They pursued him like vicious dogs. Nothing would stand in their way. Not even each other. Aladdin?s body was getting weak. He barely ate or drank at all. Only fear could carry him now. He could taste blood. He could smell blood. He almost choked on blood. He couldn't run much longer. He would have to outsmart them.

He noticed a camel parked next to a building a few blocks down. Just above the camel hung a few decorative plaques. The plaques were of a man and his donkey. It was a symbol of hard work, particularly appropriate for this section of the city where the working class lived. The vendors, merchants, and shop keepers occupied these surroundings. If he could just make it to that camel... It was getting harder to run and Aladdin felt like he was losing control of his legs. Just a few paces more! He grabbed a hold of the camel?s rear and jumped on it. The plaque of the donkey had a three dimensional sack on its back. It was sticking out just enough for Aladdin to grab a hold of it. He did so and pulled himself up. He used the camel?s head to support himself. The animal was groaning and snorting loudly from all the confusion which it had not expected. Once Aladdin got to the top of the roof he collapsed onto it. Panting and trying to catch his breath. He heard the camel moaning louder which he understood as being caused by the guards following him. He was too weak to run so he crawled to the other side of the building. He saw a few empty barrels of wine. In there he would be safe. He swung himself off the side and positioned himself above the barrels. He let go of his grip.

It hurt but he was safe. The guards did not see him and ran on in a different direction. Ha! He did it. He fooled them again. It was getting harder to steal like before. He was becoming Agrabah?s most wanted now. He had not been successful all week Wherever he went, trouble seemed to be around the corner. Everywhere except for Dahta?s house. He felt his nose and retrieved a hand covered with blood. A shadow covered the entrance of the barrel and startled Aladdin. Then he heard a familiar whimper. It was only Abu.

?Hey there, Abu. C'mon, let?s go see Dahta. I did promise her I would visit, didn't I.?

By dusk, the pilgrimage to Mekkah had already started on its way. The night was cool and peaceful. The stars were bright and the wind gently rocked the chimes. They chimed their magical song and rocked the city to sleep. The coolness and stillness of tonight calmed Aladdin and had a healing effect on his soul. He was right in front of Dahta?s house but was not sure that he could go up and see her. These doubts quickly died out and he walked up the staircase to her doorstep. The smell of incense was stronger and could be smelled right through the door. She must be meditating herself. Aladdin wondered if she doubted that he would come back. Maybe she already gave up her wait because he had not shown up all day and now it was night. He will be kinder to her this time. She showed him kindness and he was grateful for it.

Aladdin knocked on her door. Moments later she opened it.

?Aladdin! You came...Oh heavens, your face, my dear.? He had forgotten how beautiful her eyes were. He got a chill. He made a point not to stare at her too much. It was not polite.

?I got into some trouble today. I'm all right now, just a little beaten up. Please don't worry yourself about me, ma'am.? Aladdin tried to sound pleasant. He wanted his visit to be pleasing for her, to keep her company. He had disregarded the fact that his appearance might cause her to worry.

?Come in, Aladdin, I will treat that wound for you.? He stepped in, giving her a grateful glance as he did so.

?Tell me about your husband.? Aladdin asked her curiously. She looked up at him surprised as she was moistening a cloth in some warm water.

?He was very handsome,? she began, ?and very adventurous. Everyday he made sure to tell me how much he loved me. He had the most attractive smile. It was brilliant and a little naughty, you know, sort of like yours, Aladdin.? Her eyes began to well up with tears, ? He made me feel happy, like I never knew it before.? Aladdin had not meant for her to cry so he quickly searched for a way to cheer her up. He noticed a flute lying propped up against the wall. When he was younger, he had known how to play the flute. A merchant selling flutes had once had bad business and he spent two days with Aladdin, teaching him how to play his own flute. Aladdin had since then traded it like most of his other things.

?Would you like me to play the flute for you, Dahta? I know a little.? He asked her picking up the flute. Her face brightened up.

?That would be most enjoyable. Yes, please.? Aladdin had almost placed it between his lips when she stopped him.

?Wait. Let me clean your face up first. By the looks of it, your nose might be broken as well.? It did not hurt anymore. Only the dried scab pulled at his skin when he spoke. She gently washed the blood and dirt from his face and smiled at the result.

?There, my dear, now you look much better. Go ahead and play the flute for me now.? Aladdin put the flute between his lips and began to play. Some notes did not come out right because he had forgotten how to play them but overall it sounded fairly good. Dahta allowed herself to lay down on her velvet pillows and to be hypnotized by Aladdin?s simple melody. Dahta looked so happy and peaceful that Aladdin did not dare stop playing. Instead he added variations of his melody that he came up with from the top of his head. He must have played for a long time because once he stopped, Dahta was apologetic for keeping him playing that long. She assumed he was thirsty - which he was- and went to fetch him a drink.

?I want you to do me a favor, Aladdin,? she asked handing Aladdin some juice, ?Come here every night and play your song on the flute for me.? Aladdin did not mind granting her the favor so he told her that he would come and do so.

For many nights Aladdin came to play his flute for her. They had become great friends. He had asked for her to read him the Koran and she did. She taught him much about prayer and Allah. Aladdin found comfort in her. She had become a big part of his life.

One night when Aladdin came to see her as he normally did, she did not welcome him as usual. She merely looked at him and motioned him to come in and sit down. Aladdin came in and sat down on a pillow. She looked tired and distressed, as if she had not slept at all the other night.

?Aladdin, you have been a great friend to me. I value you very much, as I also value my late husband.? Aladdin nodded but did not understand her tone that accompanied these words. ?We have prayed much together to the wonderful Allah and I feel that I have been fulfilled by knowing you.? Aladdin was about to tell her he felt the same way when she motioned him not to speak. She was not finished. ?I believe it is time we went our separate ways..? Her last word was more of a sob as tears began to well up in her eyes. ?I cannot see you anymore, with respect to you and my husband.? Aladdin did not agree with her last sentence. How is seeing him disrespectful to him or her husband?

?But Dahta, we are but friends. You are like a mother to me.? This made Dahta turn her head away in shame.

?You don't understand. For many days now....my glances at you were filled with lust. My thoughts were filled with desire. My husband died without fulfilling my needs and....you do look a lot like him, Aladdin. I'm sorry.? Aladdin?s heart was torn apart. In an instant he had lost a great friendship. She was right, he could not see her anymore. He got up from the pillow and headed for the door. Before leaving, he looked back at her.

?I understand. Goodnight, Dahta? That would be the last either one of them would see of each other.

There was no way to mend his heart. Only time would do. He had lost a mother again. Dahta was an answered prayer. Through her, his life gained meaning. She had taught him about Allah and religion. Things that he would treasure for life. She had taught him his worth. Aladdin thought of the third part of his prayer he had made at the mosque: Love. All he had to wait for now is love. He smiled at the thought. He did not doubt that it would come. It was his time and life was just beginning.

Aladdin walked off into the night, humming his flute song. Along with the melody, some words were running through his head. He tried to concentrate and make out what they were...

'don't let your days be pointless. Keep your faith alive, O? great one of noble faith.?

?Goodnight, Saib.?