Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
That Stupid Law by Michelle Bowen
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +
All characters but Merkal which is one of Marco’s characters belong to Disney.
That Stupid Law
By Michelle Bowen

It was a cool dark night, there was a breeze stirring the curtains in Jasmine’s room, it had been a long day and Jasmine slept peacefully. Rajah was content watch her sleep he purred every now and then, then finally drifted off to sleep himself. Suddenly in the middle of the night he was awoken, he sensed danger, as he rose to his feet he growled a low deep growl and prepared to leap at whatever was coming through the balcony curtain. Before the tiger could pounce and render the danger helpless, Mozenrath stared down at the tiger and smirked. “Stupid tiger” Xerxes whispered to Mozenrath who glared at him and put his finger to his mouth and signaled for Xerxes to keep quite. He walked past Rajah and the sleeping Princess and entered the Sultan’s room, he quickly took out a piece of paper with something written in Arabian on it. Mozenrath chanted the words on the paper and watched the Sultan, this should make Aladdin squirm he thought with delight he would have his revenge upon Aladdin and the Princess. “Come Xerxes” Mozenrath whispered, Xerxes slithered over to Mozenrath and the two disappeared.

“Oh Rajah its a beautiful day” Jasmine said turning to her tiger friend whom agreed with her. “I wonder when Aladdin is coming” Jasmine said half to herself and half to her friend. Jasmine went around cleaning up her vanity and fixing her bed, suddenly she heard Aladdin calling her “Jasmine we're here, where are you?” Jasmine walked out onto the balcony and waved for Aladdin she smiled down at her fiance. “Aladdin come up here” Jasmine called, Aladdin looked up at her and smiled “I'll be right up” he said hurrying into the palace. The two met in the hall way and greeted each other with a hug and a kiss, “I missed you” Jasmine said smiling up at Aladdin. “I missed you too” he said back looking at Jasmine, “Jasmine, Aladdin are you coming to breakfast they heard the sultan asking. “We'll be right there father” Jasmine answered back, hand in hand Jasmine and Aladdin walked into the dining hall, there was a young man sitting next to Jasmine’s father but neither of them knew who he was. “Greetings I am Prince Majeed” the young man said bowing slightly toward Jasmine, “You must be Princess Jasmine.” Jasmine looked at the Prince before and then at her father, maybe he is here to discuss business she thought. “Yes I am nice to meet you Majeed” Jasmine said as politely as possible, “yes nice to meet you” Aladdin said trying to be polite but he didn't like the way this prince looked at Jasmine. “Nice meeting you” Majeed said sourly to Aladdin, Jasmine was about to say something to him when her father spook. “Jasmine and Aladdin come here I need to talk with you, it's important” the sultan said sounding like he really didn't want to say what he had to say. The two of them walked over and sat down next to the sultan “What is it father”Jasmine asked looking at the sultan, “W...well I am going t...to change the law back” the sultan managed to say. “What law?” Jasmine asked eyeing her father, “The law that you must be married to a prince” he said bluntly. “But why father why do you want to change it back” Jasmine asked in horror, “Sultan you can't please don't” Aladdin also said in shock. “I just decided that well I don't think that Aladdin will make a good sultan and we need a suitable ruler for the kingdom” the sultan lamely tried to explain. This was enough to set Jasmine off she stood up and glared at her father why now after all this time of her thinking that she would get to marry Aladdin she loved him all of these thoughts ran through her head as she stood there glaring down at her father. “Jasmine sit down” the sultan said to his daughter, Jasmine just stood there and then with a swift movement she grabbed Aladdin’s hand and the two left the room. “Prince Majeed I am so sorry for her rude behavior” the sultan said to the prince who looked rather offended, “My servants will show you to your room” he continued on. Prince Majeed was escorted to his room by one of the servants he was still angry looking.

“I can't believe it, how could he”Jasmine said to Aladdin, “I know I am just as unhappy Jasmine we will find away around this trust me, I love you I wouldn't let anything ever happen to you” Aladdin said taking Jasmines hand and looking into her eyes. Jasmine smiled at Aladdin and the two sat on the fountain's edge, then they heard someone coming and turned to see who it was, it was Genie, Iago, and Abu with carpet. “What's wrong guys?” Genie asked as he saw the looks on their faces, “Father changed the law back” Jasmine quickly said trying to keep the tears from coming. “He did what” Iago hollered in astonishment, “Huh” Abu also said but he went to Aladdin and sat beside him trying to cheer him up. “Why did he do that, he can't do that can he” Genie asked with confusion, carpet walked over to where Jasmine and Aladdin sat and tried to comfort them but to no avail. “I am going to go talk to him Jas and Al, I'll get this whole mess straightened out” Genie said with confidence, “I hope you can straighten it out Genie” Aladdin said still hugging Jasmine he wouldn't let this happen even if it meant him and Jasmine running away he wouldn't let them be separated he couldn't imagine his life without her. Iago, Abu, Genie, and carpet turned and left they knew Aladdin and Jasmine wanted to be alone, “Jasmine if he won't change his mind you need to chose whether or not to stay and marry a prince or come with me” Aladdin said he knew he was putting a lot more pressure on Jasmine, and he hated to do that but he knew he was right. “I know and I want to go with you but I do need to think about it for awhile” Jasmine said she felt as though she was hurting the man she loved by saying this. “I know you do there are the people to think about but I know you will make the right decision” Aladdin said causing Jasmine to give him a weak smile, “Aladdin just stay here in the palace with me until I decide please” Jasmine asked looking at him. “I will I won't leave you at all Jasmine as long as you want me to stay by you I will” Aladdin said, “but what do you think your father will say” he asked her it had hurt him what the sultan had said. It was almost as if the sultan weren't himself today, “I don't care what he says you are staying here” Jasmine said she knew she would have to fight her father on this one but she would fight him.

“Hey Sultan how you doing, you know I really need to talk to you about something” Genie said, “Well if it has to do with Aladdin and Jasmine then forget it my mind is made up” As the sultan turned around and prepared to leave Genie jumped in front of him “sultan what's wrong this isn't like you at all, you aren't even thinking about Jasmine’s feelings on this” Genie paused but when no concern crossed the sultans face he continued on “you would really hurt her and Aladdin by doing this don't you remember falling in love?” Genie continued to watch the sultan but nothing seemed to be registering in his mind about what he would be doing to his daughter, he just continued to glare at Genie. “Get out of my way” he said rudely pushing by Genie, what is going on with the sultan Genie tried to figure out.

“Hey Jas and Al we uhh well the monkey sort of wants to say he hopes everything turns out fine” Iago said with hesitation in his voice. “Thanks” Aladdin said turning and smiling crookedly at Iago, Jasmine also turned and smiled “Thanks you.” Jasmine and Aladdin climbed up on carpet and once the two were settled and comfortable carpet took off, the two finally relaxed they both remembered their first carpet ride together it was wonderful and very magical. “Aladdin do you think my father will really do this to us now he can't it's just not fair” Jasmine said looking into Aladdin’s eyes. “It will be okay if anyone can straighten it out Genie can” Aladdin said trying to sound confident, although he was hurt by what the sultan had said he tried his best to hide his feelings for now. “I hate that stupid law, I thought it was gone and everything was going to be great and then he brings it back, Aladdin its like he isn't himself’ Jasmine said pausing 'you are both very close and he knows how I feel about you.” Jasmine rested her head on Aladdin’s shoulder as they flew on, “you're right Jasmine but I don't know what brought this about we do need to talk to him to straighten it all out but for now lets just get away for an hour or so” Aladdin said looking down at Jasmine.

Two hours later the two entered the palace and where greeted by Rasoul, whom scowled at Aladdin “You are not allowed here I am to escort you out” Rasoul said gruffly. “Rasoul he is staying you are to give him a room and if he goes I go” Jasmine stated, “would you like to tell father that” she said glaring at Rasoul he seemed happy about the whole thing. “But Princess those are your father's orders” Rasoul said looking at Jasmine, “I don't care, Aladdin is staying here” Jasmine said defiantly. “Very well but I am going to relay this to your father and he will not be pleased” Rasoul said stepping out for a minute. “Aladdin I can't believe him he was too happy about the whole thing I know he doesn't really like you but that was just not right” Jasmine said turning to Aladdin who was scowling after Rasoul. After a few minutes Rasoul came back “He says very well if that is what it takes to keep you in the palace then the streetrat may stay, and those are his exact words not mine Princess” Rasoul added. Rasoul called one of the servants over and quickly told him to make up the guest room, “Aladdin is no streetrat he is my fiance’ and I love him” Jasmine angrily said to Rasoul. “But what your father said was that you two were no longer to be married?” Rasoul said with confusion, “that's just what he thinks” Jasmine said through tears of pain and anger. “Come on Jasmine let's go” Aladdin said to Jasmine taking her shoulder and walking her to her room while glaring at Rasoul as though to say way to go.

After a fitful night of sleep Aladdin and Jasmine met in the menagerie, they knew someone was watching them but they didn't know who it could be. Around mid afternoon Prince Majeed made his presence clear to the two of them, “I don't see why you waste your time or tears over this street rat just accept what your father said I am more than willing to marry you” he said snootily, Jasmine glared at him, “I have all the money you could want, and I am handsome, I have servants, and one of the largest kingdoms” Majeed bragged to an outraged Jasmine. She had heard all these things from the other suitors before she meet Aladdin and every time they made her angry, “No thanks Majeed I don't marry people with their noses in the air, and I am already engaged. “With whom so soon you found someone to replace him” he said rather offendely and snidely, “NO I am Marrying Aladdin, there are no ifs ands or buts about it” Jasmine said hotly to the Prince. “Jasmine I will see you later this evening and hopefully you will see the light before then” Majeed said stomping off. Aladdin smiled at Jasmine he knew that was hard for her not to wring his little neck she had kept from doing that and that took all her willpower. “We need to talk with my father this minute” Jasmine said following Majeed into the palace and taking Aladdin with her, “Father we need to talk” Jasmine said when they entered the throne room. “What is it Jasmine I don't have time right now I am speaking with Majeed, Jasmine glared at her father “Then make time Majeed can wait till later actually this involves him in a way” Jasmine said hotly. “Very well but make it quick” the sultan said sounding very harsh. “Father why did you change the law back again why are you doing this?” Jasmine asked, “I changed the law in the best interest of the kingdom Aladdin isn't fit to rule in my place” the sultan tried to explain. “Yes I must agree with your father on this Aladdin is not fit to rule this kingdom because he isn't of royal descent” Majeed said, “Father that never mattered before today so why now” Jasmine said while glaring at Majeed. Aladdin looked at the prince and gave him the dirtiest look possible, Majeed looked offended, “Why how dare he try to insult me” Majeed stammered. Jasmine glared at him “I would in fact I think I will right now” Jasmine said trying to keep from killing the prince “ever since this morning you have acted like Aladdin is worthless and I am supposed to marry you or something, well you can take your attitude and your comments away from Agrabah” Jasmine said glaring at him. “I will ignore that comment you do know that women are supposed to be submissive not speaking their own mind and if we marry that is what I will expect” Majeed hissed at Jasmine he didn't like when a woman spoke back to him in this manner. “Maybe in some people's ideas they are supposed to be but I speak my mind if you haven't noticed and I would never ever marry you” Jasmine said she was glad Aladdin had her arm otherwise this guy would not stand for too long, she looked back and saw the anger burning in Aladdin’s eyes. “Father if we three may speak alone I would appreciate that Majeed leave or I will have someone escort you out of this room” Jasmine said, “Father you must change the law you know I love Aladdin and he loves me” Jasmine pleaded, “Sultan please don't do this to us you know we won't leave each other and we couldn't live without each other” Aladdin also said with an urgent tone to his voice. “You two will have to live without each other Jasmine’s responsibility is with her people and you know that” the sultan said without looking up. “But father my responsibility may be with the people but so it is with my heart, and my heart tells me what you are doing to us is wrong and Aladdin and I belong together” Jasmine tried to reason with her father. “Many girls have married without having any concern for themselves but for their people” the sultan said to Jasmine, “but father you know those women were never allowed to speak their voice and could care less, they feel as though they are doomed to marry one of those princes so they give up and marry the one their father chooses for them” Jasmine retorted. “I care about what happens to the people of Agrabah but are we not people of Agrabah as well so you are the sultan and I am the princess why shouldn't we consider ourselves as equals with them even if we do have the responsibilities” a very very frustrated Jasmine said. “Sultan I think what she is trying to say is although she cares for the people she also cares about me and you and want neither of us hurt, and I don't want to have Jasmine or anyone else hurt but what hurts the most is that you called me a streetrat after all this time of knowing each other” Aladdin’s voice shook a little as he spoke. With having said to the sultan all either of them wanted to say and having him ignore all of it as though it didn't matter Aladdin and Jasmine walked out.

“Xerxes my plan is working perfectly look at Aladdin he is feeling true pain” Mozenrath said with and evil laugh as he watched them through his portal from his room in the palace. He was surprised but pleased that neither of them seemed to know him when he was disguised as Prince Majeed, “master smart” Xerxes said gleefully. “Yes I am and don't you forget that” Mozenrath said with a sound of threat in his voice the eel coward away. “Jasmine will soon have to make the big decision the title or love, she knows it to but she doesn't know exactly what is at stake here” Mozenrath said with a smirk as he watched the princess walking with Aladdin in the menagerie her face was full of torture and grief about the choice she must make.

“Aladdin I need to be alone for a little while I will see you soon, I love you” Jasmine said smiling at Aladdin who hugged her “I love you too my princess” Aladdin said he also needed time to think alone. As the two departed Jasmine went to her room and Aladdin to his hovel, as Jasmine entered her room Rajah greeted her. “Oh Rajah what should I do” she asked her best friend, Rajah just tried his best to comfort her. “Father is making this so difficult I don't see why he suddenly changed his mind about everything and the names he called Aladdin, it hurt so badly to see father acting like that like he cared not for me or Aladdin” Jasmine paused and walked out to the balcony she still remembered clearly seeing her prince on the balcony asking her if she wanted to go on a ride on his magic carpet. It had been so romantic and she discovered that Prince Ali was the boy she met in the market place and the two had fallen almost instantly for each other, both had understood the other and looked past the material things in life they had discovered each other and the meaning of true love and to have it torn away like this was too terrible to think of. Jasmine sat out on the balcony “he doesn't care whether or not he hurts us” Jasmine said to herself and somewhat to Rajah. Jasmine began to cry she couldn't loose Aladdin ever how could she live without the man she loved, she remembered the time their love had been tested and proved. “Aladdin means everything to me Rajah he is my world and I can't imagine my world with out him” Jasmine continued to cry she let all the tears she had been holding back for Aladdin’s sake much as he had done for hers. Rajah hugged Jasmine in his tiger friend way and listened to her the whole night.

Aladdin walked forlornly back to his hovel and sat down on the steps and looked toward the palace where his love he knew was feeling much the way he was. Abu followed Aladdin along with Genie and Iago, “hey Al if there is anything you need just let me know” Genie offered carefully it really made him mad what the sultan was so selfishly putting Aladdin and Jasmine through. “If you don't mind if I have sometime alone that would be nice” Aladdin said trying hard not to show too much pain although it felt as though someone had cut his heart out and was beating it. “Okay Al buddy just holler and we will be here like that” Genie said softly snapping his fingers with that he, carpet, and Iago disappeared Aladdin was relieved that Abu had stayed behind with him he needed to talk to his long time friend. “Abu I don't get it one day the sultan and I are getting along great and he understands how I feel for Jasmine the next he hates me calls me street rat and says I can't marry Jasmine he could keep the kingdom the only person I want to be with is Jasmine” Aladdin said quickly brushing a hot tear from his face. “OH” Abu said sadly trying to do his best to comfort his best friend. “Abu I can't live without her I just can't and I know that she knows that and so does the sultan, if we can't be together well life won't be worth living” Aladdin said the tears were coming faster and he was now ignoring them as the fell they hit the floor making a small pattern. When he thought back to when he had brought Jasmine up here for the first time he smiled a little through the tears he remembered how she respected him even though she was the princess and he was a “streetrat” they had been so close to kissing and then been interrupted and he had been dragged off to the dungeon. “Abu we can't let her father do this to us” Aladdin said with determination in his voice.

“Jasmine just doesn't understand how come I am doing this and I don't expect that she will but she must just accept it” the sultan said to himself. “Aladdin is a streetrat and knows nothing of running a kingdom, why did I ever think he would make a good sultan?” the sultan questioned himself. Then he remembered why Aladdin had saved him and his daughter Jasmine was in love and it hurt him then to see her in pain so he changed the law for her sake and also because Aladdin had proved to be uncaring for his own safety and only concerned with Jasmine’s and his safety the sultan said remembering it all. “I won't change the law back” he was determined. He had remembered getting up that morning with a strange feeling but just associated it with heartburn or something he had no clue that an evil spell had been cast and the perpetrator was in the palace watching everything.

“Can you believe this the sultan finally saw the light” Rasoul said to the other guards “he finally kicked the streetrat where he belonged” he was smiling happily. He hated Aladdin and wanted nothing to do with him and wished that Jasmine would feel the same but he knew that she loved Aladdin and would always love him. “Oh well she will simply have to accept this” he said to himself.

Jasmine had fallen asleep after crying and thinking for a few hours then she simply couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. She had a dream more of a nightmare in it she and Aladdin was saying goodbye both were crying and Prince Majeed was behind them smiling happily as Aladdin soared away Jasmine wanted so badly to go with him but couldn't she had chosen to do as her father said and was to be married to Prince Majeed in a day or so. She had awoken in a sweat and was relived when she saw that everything was okay it was dawn so she got up and changed into clean clothes. As she walked out she heard something from Prince Majeed's room he was saying something although she knew it was wrong to listen in she did “Xerxes that impudent Aladdin and his princess are both so upset that they aren't even trying to figure out why the sultan is doing this to them, and if Jasmine makes the wrong choice I get the kingdom” she heard him laughing. Mozenrath! Majeed is Mozenrath! was all she could think of that explained the sudden appearance of Majeed with no announcement. So he cast a spell on my father that has to be it Jasmine thought so her father wasn't truly changing his mind but he had, had his mind changed for him. Jasmine hurriedly left the palace and headed toward the market place, “Merkal there you are, have you seen Aladdin anywhere” Jasmine asked the merchant whom smiled at her. “No I haven't but he will probably be in his hovel” he offered her. “Thank you so much” Jasmine exclaimed and hurried toward Aladdin’s hovel, on the way there she bumped into Sadira “Hey Sadira can you help me find Aladdin its important?” Jasmine asked Sadira. “Sure Jasmine what's wrong?” Sadira asked as they hurried along she kept her eyes peeled for Aladdin who could fly by on carpet at anytime. After a few minutes Jasmine and Sadira arrived at Aladdin’s hovel, Aladdin was just getting up when he saw Jasmine he smiled at her and walked toward her and hugged her. “Aladdin I figured it out I know why father is acting this way” Jasmine said quickly, “why?” Aladdin asked. “It's Mozenrath Majeed is Mozenrath” Jasmine said, “And where there is Mozenrath there is trouble” Aladdin finished for her. “He has to have cast some kind of spell on father and we need to figure out what kind of spell, Aladdin father doesn't hate you” Jasmine smiled at him as she saw relief come over Aladdin’s face. The two hugged happily then turned to Sadira, “Thanks for your help Sadira” Jasmine said to a very confused Sadira, “I'll explain later” Jasmine quickly said to her. “Genie” Aladdin said while rubbing the lamp, Genie burst from the lamp in his pajamas they had dalmatians on them and he looked rather tired. “What is it Al?” Genie asked while stretching, “We know what's going on a spell has been cast on the sultan by Mozenrath” Aladdin told him. “But Al Mozenrath isn't here” Genie tried to tell him but stopped when Aladdin and Jasmine both shook their heads at him, “Majeed is Mozenrath” Jasmine said with a smile although she was angry at Mozenrath she was relieved at the same time. “I over heard him saying something to Xerxes” Jasmine quickly explained, “So your father really didn't mean what he said about Al and you” Genie also said with relief. “What's going on here what's all the excitement about you guys I am trying to sleep” Iago complained stretching, Abu also rubbed his eyes. “Our problems are solved well sort of” Genie said stopping short “How do we get Wizard boy to reverse the spell?” Genie asked Jasmine. “I don't know I know that I have to make a decision and it has to be the right one or he gets the kingdom” Jasmine said then she thought of something it had to be made by her heart and mind and she knew what they would say. Then she remembered the night mare if she said good bye to Aladdin she would be giving Mozenrath the kingdom, but what if the nightmare was wrong, no it couldn't be it had to be right. “Aladdin we are going to father now we need to speak with him” Jasmine said she tried to sound sure of herself. “Okay Genie let's go” Aladdin said and in a flash everyone was standing in the throne room. “Father, Father come here” Jasmine called “we need to talk”, after a minute the sultan appeared in the throne room followed by Majeed. Great we need Mozenrath here anyway, “Father I have made my decision” Jasmine said waiting for her father to react “Jasmine I told you the law is changed” the sultan wearily tried to tell her. “Father this is my choice and I have decided what I want” Jasmine paused she noticed that Mozenrath had edged closer he was so sure she would make the wrong move. Jasmine took a deep breath and all eyes were upon her she paused for a second and the spoke “I chose Aladdin and the people” Jasmine says hoping that she did that right and was right. “You can't do that” Majeed said furiously, Jasmine knew she had made the right choice suddenly her father snapped out of the spell and asked “Jasmine why would you need to make a choice like that?” he looked at her as though she were not feeling well he had no memory of what happened. Where Majeed had been Mozenrath was standing and he looked angrily at Jasmine”I thought that night mare would help you be more selfish and choose what you wanted not what was right” Mozenrath looked at Jasmine in disgust and then picked up his cape and disappeared. Everyone was cheering and happy Aladdin and Jasmine were hugging each other and kissing. “So what exactly happened” Sadira asked Jasmine, “Yes do tell” the sultan said, “Okay but first I would like some time alone with Aladdin” Jasmine said her eyes were only for him at that minute and Aladdin’s were just for her. They went out on Jasmine’s balcony that evening and climbed on carpet and flew away for a little while.

(Until another Arabian night)