Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Meeting a Friend by Michelle Bowen
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
This is the story of Yesenia and her sister Crystal’s past they are my characters and Merkal is Marco’s if you wish to use any of them you must ask first. Aisha, Abdul, and Aabad are also mine and Marco’s characters all other characters are Disney’s other than Rafeek he is also Marco’s and the two horses Desert Wind, and Wild Diamond are mine. Enjoy Marco and I plan on writing many stories on the three so I hope you like this story.

Meeting a Friend

by Michelle Bowen


It had been a dry summer with very little rain and the crops were wilting away to dust, the farmer bent over and picked up one of the dying plants. “We can't continue to stay any longer” he said to his wife “we leave for Agrabah this week” he said turning and leaving the field. Yesenia stepped outside that night and walked to the stable where her sister sat watching the sun set. “Crystal what are you thinking about” Yesenia asked her younger sister while she sat beside her. Yesenia had lived in Coronath all her life she was twelve now and she and her family were leaving home for a strange new land of magic and mystery, they were heading for Agrabah. Her thoughts were interrupted when Crystal spoke “I don't want to leave or stay there isn't enough to eat or drink but this is home to us” Crystal said while she continued to watch the sunset, “your right but we do definitely have to leave” Yesenia advised her sister. Yesenia rose and Crystal followed her to the barn, the two entered and went to the stalls containing two young horses “Hello Desert Wind” Yesenia said walking over to her horse and petting her, “hey wild diamond” Crystal also walked over to her horse both girls had a love for horses and these two were their favorites. “Do you think we will take them with us?” Crystal asked her sister, “even if dad says no I will” Yesenia said with determination. “Yeah so will I” Crystal said copying her older sister, “Can we do a few illusions” Crystal asked Yesenia. “You can but I will work at my magic” Yesenia said smiling at Crystal she was so proud of her sister, Crystal was such a smart little girl.

She had learned all the illusions that she knew on her own, “Yesenia watch this” Crystal called to her. She quickly moved her hand and it appeared as though a rain cloud was in her hand, Yesenia smiled at her sister proudly. “Hey Crystal what do you want to see me do?” Yesenia asked her, “I want to see you make a talk” Crystal loved this trick that Yesenia had learned only a short while ago. “Okay” Yesenia bent over and picked up a plant and then waved her hand over it, the plant moved and then said “Hey have you noticed how hot it is lately give me some water” Yesenia quickly made the plant go back to normal. “Sorry they don't do much now I don't really like to do that anyway” Yesenia said sighing, “come on I hear dad calling us” Yesenia said taking Crystals hand the two walked into the house together and the lights went out and all was still for the night. At the end of the week the family was all packed up and ready to go to Agrabah, Crystal waved to the people as they went, but Yesenia paid attention to Desert Wind she tried to keep from getting upset. That night the family settled down in a far off oasis, though she was exhausted out of habit Yesenia snuck out of sight and began exploring the oasis. It is really beautiful here, Yesenia thought, she remembered a time when Coronath had looked flush and beautiful and all the fun she had there a tear fell as she thought of leaving her home the only place she really knew and all the people she knew. She looked forward to Agrabah and seeing new things and meeting new people she just wished she didn't have to leave every one else behind. Yesenia heard someone creeping up behind her and as quickly as she could she whirled around to face the possible danger, when she turned she almost hit her sister Crystal was following her as usual. “Hey Crystal you scared me what are you doing here?” Yesenia asked realizing how stupid that sounded. “I am following you” Crystal said with a little laugh, “hey Yesenia are you okay with us moving?” the young girl asked. “Not really somewhat but somewhat not” Yesenia said, Crystal nodded in agreement with her sister. “Let's go back before mommy and daddy miss us” Crystal said taking Yesenia’s hand and pulling her along. The next morning Yesenia and her family headed back out, the day grew hotter and the sun rose higher in the sky, when the family arrived near some dunes a group of thieves with a young leader approached them. “Give us everything you have and you will be okay” the leader said, “Who are you?” Aisha asked frightenedly backing toward her husband. “I hahaha” he laughed dumbly “I am Abis Mal the greatest thief” he said, “Leave my family alone” Yesenia said the thieves turned toward her and started to laugh they had never seen a twelve year old stand up like this. “Little girl just back off, and mommy and daddy will give us everything and you will be fine” Abis Mal mocked, Yesenia glared at him. “You won't take anything” Yesenia said with anger, “Yesenia back off I can handle this” Abdul said to his daughter. “No dad I can handle this” Yesenia said she wasn't going to let anything be taken, as one of the thieves stepped toward the family's stuff Yesenia lifted a hand and the man tripped over nothing. Yesenia turned and glared down at the fallen thief “I told you, you're not getting anything” she stated clearly. “Oh yeah you really tripped him” Haroud smirked at the young girl, “Shut up” she snapped and instantly his mouth was shut. “Hey how did you do that?” Abis Mal asked stupidly, “Its easy but you don't want it to happen to you he can't say anything for a day, and I can do much worse so go away” Yesenia said with a warning in her voice. “We just want to take things” Abis Mal said with stupidity, causing Yesenia to glare at him again “I said leave” she hollered at him. Abis Mal stepped back wards but was pushed forward by one of his men, “she is just a girl” the man mocked, Abis Mal stumbled as he spoke “bubut did you see what she did” Yesenia smirked and stomped her foot at Abis Mal the small man turned and jumped on his horse the thieves followed their leader while complaining. “Yesenia next time don't do that but we are proud of you” her Mother said smiling at her daughter “Now lets get out of here before they come back” her father said. Later that night they arrived at Agrabah but it was too late to go find a home so they just went to an inn, “Agrabah is beautiful” Yesenia said when they walked into Agrabah.

The next morning her father and mother left them to wander through Agrabah while they looked for jobs, “keep Crystal out of trouble” Yesenia was instructed by her mother. As Yesenia walked through the streets Crystal trailed behind her, suddenly someone pushed through them it was a boy about her age and he was running from some guards. The young boy was teasing the guards jumping out of their reaches and then pulling their hats over their eyes to slow them down. He even yanked one of the belts off of a guard, Yesenia ran past the boy and waited for him to go by the alley that the two had entered Yesenia grabbed him and the three hid as the guards went by. As the guards ran by they heard one of them snickering at the other “Rasoul I can't believe you fell for the old pulling the belt” the guard snickered at the younger one. Yesenia turned to the boy “Hi I am Yesenia and this is my sister Crystal, who are you?” she asked the boy after she had caught her breath. “I am Merkal” he said smiling at her, “thanks for helping me, I thought they were going to catch me that time” he said smiling at her. He seemed really nice, then Yesenia noticed the bread in his hands, “that's what all the trouble was about” she said practically laughed, she had never seen guards make a huge fuss over nothing what did it matter if one loaf of bread was taken. “So do you want to hangout with us for the day?” Yesenia asked Merkal, “Yes I would like to hey I just need to take this to my mother so we can have dinner then I can go with you” Merkal smiled at her as they walked down the streets with Crystal trailing behind them. The three of them entered an alley and walked toward a hovel, when they entered a woman greeted them with a smiled at them “hi Merkal I see you brought breakfast and some new friends” Aadab said smiling at the two girls. “Mom this is Yesenia she helped me get away from the guards, and this is her sister Crystal” Merkal said pointing at each as he spoke. “If its okay I would like to go with them for the day” he asks his mom, “Of course dear have fun just eat this first” she said thrusting a piece of bread into his hands, Merkal smiled at his mother and turned with to the girls “so where do you want to go?” he asked them. “I don't know we are sort of new just moved” Yesenia said, Crystal was watching Aabad and wasn't even listening. “Okay then I can give you a tour” Merkal said smiling at Yesenia and Crystal, Yesenia nudged her sister who immediately turned her attention from Aabad to her sister. “What?” Crystal asked, “we are going now Merkal is going to show us around the city, goodbye Aabad” Yesenia said waving and smiling at her. The three headed toward the streets, Merkal pointed out certain things in the city and the three of them had a lot of fun that day. Near the end of the day they came to the market place, and when they came near a certain stall Merkal looked upset, “what's wrong?” Yesenia asked him. “My father died two years ago and that is where his stand was” he said turning away and walking on, “I'm sorry” Yesenia said trying to comfort him. “It's okay” Merkal said “it was a while ago but I still miss him” he said, Crystal tugged on his arm “Do you want to see something?” she asked. “Sure what” he said smiling at her, Crystal moved her hands and a star appeared in her hands, Merkal's eyes went wide as he saw this but when he went to touch the star it disappeared. “How did you do that?” he asked curiously, Yesenia smiled she knew her sister liked attention “I can do illusions but she can do the real magic” Crystal said smiling proudly at her sister. “You can do magic or is she just fooling” Merkal asked Yesenia “Yeah I can its cool I was born with it” she said smiling she wished her sister hadn't mentioned her magic right yet some people didn't like her because of it in her old home. “Really show me something” Merkal said, “Okay” Yesenia picked up a piece of fruit and motioned at the apple, it suddenly grew a mouth and began to sigh. Yesenia handed the apple to Merkal to prove it wasn't an illusion, Merkal took it in his hand and watched it carefully the apple then talked “I wish they had left me alone” it murmured. It was a bit depressing so Yesenia motioned and the mouth went away, “I don't like that trick but she does” Yesenia said pointing to her sister. “Well I will see you tomorrow” Yesenia said when she and her sister went to the inn that night they waved as Merkal left.

At dinner that night Abdul and Aisha were talking about the jobs “I found out that at the palace they need a servant” Aisha said to her husband. “Well if you want to work there then go see about it” Abdul said smiling at his wife. “Okay I will tomorrow, have you found anything?” she asked. When he shook his head that he didn't find one Aisha just smiled at him he looked exhausted and still had to find some work, “let's go to bed” the two walked in where their two daughters were sleeping.

The next day Aisha got up bright and early with the sun and dressed her best and headed for the palace. Yesenia and Crystal got up as well and went to the stable after their mother left, Yesenia’s father headed out to find a job and a house for them to move into. “Come on, let's take Desert Wind and Wild Diamond for a ride” Yesenia said to Crystal, within minutes the horses were ready to go and Yesenia and her sister mounted them. As they rode carefully through the market place Yesenia looked around for Merkal but couldn't find him anywhere so she and Crystal went outside the city for a little while and let their horses run. A short while later Yesenia and her sister returned to the city, “I like Agrabah it's more fun than Coronath ever was” Yesenia said beaming at her sister. Suddenly without warning she felt someone tapping her foot she looked down after jumping and saw Merkal smiling mischievously at her. “I got you” he laughed, “yes you did, but I get the last laugh” suddenly a small pool of water appears over Merkal’s head and falls on him. Through his wet black hair he looks at her his bangs falling over his eyes, it was enough to make Yesenia laugh. “That was supposed to be getting even” Merkal questioned, “that felt great it's so hot today” he laughed at the look on Yesenia’s face. “Man that stinks” she said dismounting Desert Wind then taking the reigns she walks beside Merkal. “So get into anymore trouble today with the guards” she asked him, Merkal nodded his head “no trouble at all no one even noticed the missing fruit and bread” he said proudly. “Good” Yesenia said helping her sister dismount Wild Diamond, “I'm glad you didn't have any trouble Merkal” Crystal said beaming at him. “So where were you two?” Merkal asked, “I was looking for you all day.” “We looked for you as well but couldn't find you so we went out side the city and rode our horses for a little while” Yesenia said. The three were walking through the city and failed to notice that someone was following them. Suddenly they were grabbed from behind and their mouths were covered, “try to scare us away from stealing” was what the man holding a struggling Yesenia said. Merkal managed to twist free of the man behind him and kicked the one holding Crystal causing him to drop her, then the two turned to help Yesenia, Crystal did what most eight year olds do in trouble she bit the man causing him some pain and Merkal kicked his shin. The man quickly released Yesenia and Merkal grabbed her arm, “Run” Crystal screamed the three children burst out of the alley and ran through the market conveniently stopping by one of the guards. As the thieves came out of the alley they saw the guard and quickly ducked back in. What the thieves didn't notice was a missing jewel that had been taken in the struggle Merkal felt it in his pocket and smiled he could give this to his mom, he then turned to Yesenia“That was close, who were they?” Merkal asked looking at Yesenia, “They tried to rob my family when we were on our way over but I stopped them, I think they were just trying to get back at me or something” Yesenia tried to explain although she herself was confused at why they would come back.

“Crystal, remember you promised not to tell Mom and Dad about today” Yesenia warned as she and Crystal and Merkal entered the inn. “Hello Yesenia and Crystal, who is your friend?” Aisha asked as her daughters entered. “Mom this is Merkal he has been helping us and showing us the city” Yesenia said Merkal smiled while she spoke. “Hello” he said, “so where did you come from?” he asked curiously. “We came from Coronath it is a few days from here” Aisha said smiling at the polite boy.

Crystal turns to her mother “Mom can Merkal stay for dinner and can his mom come?” she asked looking at her mom pleadingly. Her mother smiled “Yes that would be nice I would like to meet some one around here, why don't you go get your mother Merkal, Yesenia can go with you” Aisha said smiling. “Okay we will be right back” Merkal said while beaming he wouldn't have to steal dinner tonight, “Come on” he said turning and grabbing Yesenia’s wrist. “Hurry back” Aisha hollered to the two running children, “Crystal let's get dinner ready” she said, Crystal smiled and helped her mother cook.

Mom, Mom” Merkal hollered as they approached the hovel but she wasn't anywhere to be found. “Where is she?” Yesenia said looking toward the ground to see if she might be coming back from somewhere but there was no sign of her. “I don't get this she is usually home at this time. “Maybe she left to do something I don't know where she goes lets wait a few minutes see if she comes back” Yesenia said sitting on a small pile of bricks. Some one entered the hovel it was a tall smelly thief with a couple of teeth missing, “I have a message from Abis Mal” the man paused as Yesenia and Merkal stood up. “He has your mother and if you just bring back the jewel you will get her back, if not” the thief motioned his hand over his neck then waited for the two to follow. As he did the motion Merkal and Yesenia’s eyes widened in horror, “where is she” Merkal demanded after the shock was gone. “I told you she is with Abis Mal follow me and return the jewel and your mother will be safe” he said glaring impatiently at them. “Let's follow him” Yesenia said without pausing to think, “Okay but we have to keep our guard up” Merkal said stepping next to Yesenia and then he stuck his hand into his pocket and pulled out a jewel incrusted beetle. “This is what he wants right” Merkal asked showing the jewel to the thief who nodded “Yes that's it” the thief greedily looked at the jewel. “Okay we follow you but if anything happens to my mom I swear you will regret it” Merkal said glaring at the man, Yesenia and Merkal followed the man. After walking for a few minutes they came to an old looking restaurant there where thieves everywhere stealing from each other in the corner of the restaurant sat a short man with Merkal’s mother. “Be careful and make sure to pay attention to everyone and everything” Yesenia warned as the two entered, “I will you do the same” he whispered back being sure that the jeweled beetle made it through without being stolen. “Abis Mal” Merkal asked cautiously, “Yes and who would you be?” he asked stupidly, when the thief next to Merkal and Yesenia glared at him he said “Oh your the little brat that stole *my* jewel” Abis Mal said rather loudly. “Hush sir we don't need every thief to know what you are getting from this kid and his friend Haroud warned. “Oh yes of course I don't want them to know that would be like telling a pack of’ he stops looking around stupidly 'they have tails and growl and live in the desert” Abis Mal said rather stupidly. “Do you mean it would be like telling the jackals that the sheep were unwatched?” Haroud asked. “Yes, yes that is what I was saying I knew that” Abis Mal said, Yesenia rolled her eyes at the stupid leader “we have the jewel now give us his mother.” Merkal showed the jeweled beetle to Abis Mal when the thief was about to grab it he quickly pulled it back “first my mom then the jewel” Merkal said. “Fine, fine let the woman go Haroud” Abis Mal said absentmindedly waving his hand while looking at the jewel. They quickly untied Aabad, she quickly walked over to her son and smiled at him “thank you” she whispered as Merkal handed Abis Mal the jewel. Once the jewel was in Abis Mal’s hands the thieves moved in fencing in Yesenia, Merkal, and Aabad. “This wasn't supposed to happen” Yesenia said glaring at the thief who looked up, “hey I never said nothing would happen to you two and your mom after we got the jewel.” Yesenia and Merkal back off slightly then suddenly the two jumped at the thieves. Yesenia quickly blasted one of them back, and then tripped another. Merkal jumped at the two closest to them landing on their heads and causing some jolting among the thieve, then Merkal quickly jumped down as they raised their hands to grab him. He then tripped them when he landed on the floor, Yesenia shuts Haroud up quickly before he can give the “leader” any advice. “Yesenia watch out” Merkal hollered causing Yesenia to duck and the thief to fall over her and hit the floor where he was quickly knocked out by the others scrambling thieves. “Thanks Merkal” Yesenia said as the two were quickly backing away Aabad was right behind them, as they got to the door Merkal turned to his mom “Mom run as fast as you can and don't look back just know this we will be right behind you” Merkal instructed his mom who nodded “Okay I will but you better be okay” Aabad said trying not to worry. As she got to the door she turned and ran her fastest with Merkal and Yesenia right behind her. After they were sure that no one was following them, they slowed down to a walk and started laughing at how stupid Abis Mal was. “Merkal did you see the look he gave us it was like really weird” Yesenia giggled, “Yes his face was all sort of smushed together” Merkal laughed. “Mom they didn't hurt you did they?” Merkal asked his mom once they had stopped laughing, “No they didn't” Aabad said smiling at her son she was so proud of him and Yesenia.

The three arrived at the inn Yesenia and Crystal were staying in. “What took so long?” Aisha asked with exasperation she had begun to worry something really bad had happened to them. “Oh sorry mom we can explain it after dinner, Mom this is Aabad, Aabad this is my mom Aisha” Yesenia said. “Salaam nice to meet you Aisha” Aabad said, “Salaam and nice to meet you as well Aabad I hope to become good friends with you” Aisha said smiling. The two followed Yesenia and Merkal into the inn and everyone sat down and ate dinner and the story was told during the dinner.

(Until another Arabian night)