Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Agrabah's Greatest Gift by Michelle Bowen
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
Agrabah's Greatest Gift
by Michelle Bowen

My Hidden Tears (Poem)

You tease, you taunt,
I hurt,
You call me names,
I cry,
You tell me I'm stupid,
I feel what you say,
You say I'm ugly, I wear huge clothes and hide myself,
You laugh when I make a mistake,
I stop trying to answer questions,
You make remarks that hurt, I sit there quietly in my own world,
A world of hurt,
Loneliness,
And tears.

True Friend
I see her all alone,
She cries because she has no one,
I'll be her true friend,
I'll show her that she isn't alone,
I'll teach her about fun,
I'll be her true friend,
I don't care what others say,
They can think what they will,
I don't think they are right,
I will be her true friend,

Take Me
Take me,
I won't run,
Take me
I don't want harm to come,
Take me,
I'll go with you,
Take me,
I'll do it without hesitation,
Take me,
I have no family,
Take me,
I wish to help,
Take me,
Maybe we can be family,
Take me.


Hadiya sat in the dark corner of an alley away from the other children of Agrabah, hiding she wanted to come out and play but she knew she wasn't welcome. She was an outcast, the children refused to play with her because of her face, she had many scars. When she was a small child a man had attacked her, cutting her face, scarring her for life. A tear fell it wasn't unusual for her to cry, loneliness hurt so much, the fact that she seemed invisible was terrible. The small 8 year old wanted to play with the others to laugh and giggle driving the parents and many merchants crazy. After a moment of thought she noticed a young boy approach her, he looked at her and spat the words "Scar face." Hadiya hid her tears until he had left, then she burst hopelessly into them unable to stop.

That night she curled up alone in the alley she had no home, no family, and no friends. She again for not the first time cried herself to sleep, curled up with sand over her for protection. The next morning she left the alley to steal food for herself, she quickly made her way to a stand with bread on it and stole a piece without anyone noticing. After walking away she began to munch on it and filled her belly. There was still much of the loaf left, and she decided to save it. As she walked by an alley she watched a boy looking around deciding what to steal for his meal. She smiled, and walked up to him holding her breath in fear that he might scream and run or laugh at her. He did neither of them, he simply took the bread and smiled back at her, "Thank you very much, what's your name?" he asked curiously. "Hadiya" she said beaming, "What's yours?" she asked in return. "My name is Samir" he replied and began to eat the bread, suddenly one of the children ran by them and looked at Hadiya's face, "Scar face" she hollered. Samir glared at the girl and took Hadiya's hand, "Follow me we can leave the other children alone if they don't want to be your friend its their loss" he said hoping to cheer her up. She stopped in amazement, "You want to be my friend?" she asked looking at him strangely no one had ever offered this to her before. "Of course I want to you showed me kindness, I want to show you kindness, do you not have any other friends?" he asked her calmly. Hadiya hid her face, "I have no one" she mumbled, and looked up at him. He shook his head, "You are lying you have me" he said compassion showing on his face he had never quite figured out why the others treated her so badly so she was scarred he had faults of his own as did they. "Really!" she squeaked excitedly. He nodded, "Really" he said calmly, "What do you want to go do now my friend?" he asked. She thought for a moment, a smile came across her face, "Lets get the merchants mad its always looks like fun" she said with a giggle. He smiled "Okay lets do that then" he said happily, and took her hand. The two made their way along the market, pulling practical jokes. The merchants shouted and ran after the two for a short distance then gave up. Samir approached a young merchant, and Hadiya snuck up with him, tugged on a carpet that was for sale causing a few things to fall, the merchant sighed shook his head and came around faster than the two had anticipated. He stood in front of them, "Trying to break something?" he asked them calmly. Samir lowered his head, "We were just playing around" he said quietly, Hadiya hid behind Samir. "Well try to be more careful next time" he said and smiled at them, "I'm Merkal, who are you?" he asked. This took Samir and Hadiya by surprise, "I'm Samir and my friend is Hadiya," the boy said.

The three talked for a few minutes before noticing a young woman standing nearby. "Merkal I see you have some new friends huh" she said and smiled at the two children, "I'm Yesenia" she said cheerfully. Samir stuck out his hand and took hers in a hand shake, Hadiya did the same. "So how did you three meet?" she asked them while leaning on the stand. Merkal smiled at his best friend, "They were shopping so to speak" he said with a small laugh. Hadiya looked at Merkal funny, "We were pulling a prank," she said while raising an eyebrow. Yesenia laughed, "Merkal she caught you as just as you caught her." Samir laughed along, and soon Merkal joined in, the children of Agrabah walked around them and began to wonder what was so funny. Hadiya looked up and stopped laughing she stood absolutely still and looked at each child. They pointed at her and whispered stuff, she heard only whispers but knew what they were saying, a child in the crowd giggled and pointed at her. Her hands flew up in an attempt to hide from them she walked next to Yesenia and stood behind her. Yesenia looked at the children pointing and laughing then at the child behind her, "Hadiya, what's the matter?" she asked worriedly. A tear streamed down her face, "They always pick on me and call me scar face and they are laughing at me now" she mumbled. Merkal heard the small girls comment and frowned at the children, Samir crossed his little arms over his little chest and frowned more than Merkal. The children began to grow uncomfortable under the stares that they were receiving from the two adults and the little boy. One by one they left quickly running through Agrabah and chasing each other.

The earth shuddered and the rose lifted off of the hill it had been resting on for a few months. A form was made, a sigh was heard and the form stretched its vine like arms. He looked around at the world, it was a bright warm day the birds flew through the sky and to his left he saw what was left of his garden shriveled and ruined for now. He gritted his teeth together, the princess of Agrabah had tricked him, and Aladdin had destroyed him so why was he still here. He turned to his right and saw Agrabah in the distance, his eyes narrowed, they would pay the price would be high.

Yesenia kneeled down and hugged the small girl, "Hadiya, I know it hurts when they do that but you shouldn't let them dictate your life other wise they've won" she said sadly. Merkal bent down next to Yesenia and was joined by Samir, "She is right you know" he said calmly. Hadiya looked at the other three and wiped her tears away, "I won't let them win" she said firmly. Yesenia smiled again at Hadiya, "How about we all go for a walk, Merkal if you want to join us we can wait for you" she said while looking up at him. Merkal shook his head, "That's okay I have to sell some more maybe another time" he said and returned to his stand. "See you later Merkal" Samir said after joining the others for the walk.

Arbutus made his way to his garden repairs would be easy and fast, he entered the gate or what was left of it. He went past the fallen harp, and into the main part of the garden. Quickly he raised his hands and a tree sprouted up followed by more motions and flowers, grass, and many plants came back. The harp lifted up, the gates rebuilt and the garden once again flourished. Arbutus turned around inspecting his garden, "Now to Agrabah" he said loudly to himself. His protective dome came up over him and dived into the ground, swiftly it made its way to Agrabah.

"Yesenia were you ever teased?" Hadiya asked her new friend. Yesenia looked at the little girl, "I think they were to afraid to tease me because I have magic," she said realizing that Hadiya didn't know this. The little girls eyes went wide, Samir's jaw dropped open, "Really!" they squealed at the same time. Yesenia nodded, "Really, my sister had magic too but she is an illusionist" she was sure that they would want to see something next. Hadiya looked at her, "I've never seen magic, is it cool?" she asked curiously. Samir nodded "I haven't either" he added, Yesenia waved her hand and said some words, out of the ground a flower grew. But before they could pick it, the flower was gone, "That's an illusion" she said smiling at the two of them.

Suddenly the ground beneath them began to rumble, Yesenia fell over and the two children toppled onto the ground as well. They heard people scream, children cry, and buildings shake and crack a bit from the movement. Yesenia quickly murmured some words and a shield went up over them to protect them from a rock that was falling from a building. Once everything calmed down again she heard Hadiya say, "That was magic wasn't it" Yesenia nodded. She stood up, dusted herself off, and then helped the two children to their feet. Then went to where she figured the tremors were coming from, before the people of Agrabah stood a plant figure. Tall and lean, he looked strong and very magical, also angry. "People of Agrabah, I am Arbutus and your princess betrayed me long ago so now I am here to collect, you will surrender one child, or your city will be destroyed" he paused. "I want the child before tomorrow's sunrise" he paused again, "Or else you will face my wrath and you will pay" he looked towards the palace knowing that the royal family was watching him. His leaves closed around him and he disappeared from sight. The people began to murmur and gathered their children. Yesenia heard one woman say "He isn't going to get one of my children" and watched as the woman's husband pulled out a sword. Yesenia walked up to the couple, "He won't get them I promise, but fighting him with the sword isn't going to get you anywhere sir" she said looking at him calmly. He nodded and put the sword away, "Hadiya, Samir come with me we have to see if Merkal is okay" she said just realizing that her friend could have been hurt next she would check on her family since Merkal was closer in distance. The three ran down the street and found Merkal putting his things away, "I guess that's it for today don't you agree?" he said wryly. "I guess so" Yesenia said and eyed the stands next to Merkal's there was only minor damage but there was damage. "We are going to see if everyone in my family is okay we should check on your mother as well" Yesenia said after Merkal had packed his things onto Rafeek. "Lets go" he said and led the camel forward. After checking on their families and knowing that the houses were okay they headed to the market to see what was being said to see if the sultan had announced anything. Hadiya had remained quiet through out the whole situation Samir had spoken only a little.

As the people of Agrabah assembled below the balcony the sultan came forward looking completely distressed. "People of Agrabah" he said solemnly and paused, "I fear that we have no choice but to comply to his request his demand" he paused. "We tried to fight him before and he was defeated but as he said to us Your sword may severe every limb but my power will always bloom" he looked back at his daughter. "If there is anyone who is willing to give him your child step forward" the words caught in the throat of the sultan. No one moved, only gasps were heard, "We know its hard and I understand if you can't do it if not we will fight till he defeats us" the sultan shook his head, "Salaam my friends" he murmured and left. Yesenia couldn't believe what she had just heard, the sultan, Aladdin and Jasmine were all unable to defeat him in battle. "Hadiya you and Samir are going to stay with me tonight, that's if you live on the streets if not you should let your parents know your okay" she got sad looks from the two that answered that question. "Okay lets go my mom and dad will be happy to have you over" she said reassuring the two that all would be fine.

Arbutus entered his garden and prepared it for another to live in, he made sure there were places to sleep and that all was set. He sat down and waited for dawn to arrive, and thought of how much they would pay by having to surrender a small child to them. His mind brought back his memories of when Jasmine was with him in the garden, she seemed to understand him then she turned on him and betrayed him. He looked up they were the only ones around so who had replanted him, certainly it was not his enemy. He drifted off to sleep for a short nap, the garden flowers bloomed on as he slept.

Yesenia and Crystal tucked the two children in for the night both were happy about having a bed for the first time. They snuggled down into the pillow and covered themselves completely. Soon they were fast asleep and smiling, the two sisters walked out into their kitchen where Merkal, his mother and their parents sat. "I don't understand this, how can he expect us to give up children to him" Aisha said quietly. Yesenia walked up next to her, "He seemed to not think of that point only that he wanted revenge." Merkal looked at the two, "When he took Jasmine it was to repay the sultan having plucked a flower from his garden, Aladdin accidentally killed him and they replanted him doesn't he know that?" he looked angry. "What did they tell you he wanted her for?" Crystal asked him, "To enhance the beauty of his garden with the most precious treasure that the sultan had now he wants Agrabah's most precious treasure, a child" Merkal said slowly. Yesenia looked at him "A special child he knows that the adults aren't going to say here have my kid I don't mind" she paused, "so he may be waiting for a child to be unselfish and give themselves." Everyone looked at her, it made sense more so than the parents having the choice it was up to the child that was brave enough. "If I were a child right now I would go with him, but I can't because I am not" Yesenia said, Merkal looked at her and so did the rest of her family. "I'm glad your not a child" Crystal said quietly. The adults sat at the table the rest of the night talking quietly.

A light broke through the vines and trees it was faint but light, Arbutus stood up and pulled his leaf guard over him and headed back to Agrabah through the same hole so as not to cause damage this time. He knew that the citizens had been up all night thinking about what he had said. With in moments he was in Agrabah, but no crowd stood before him a lone woman stood there. He looked at her and narrowed his eyes, "Jasmine" he said quickly. "Arbutus you can't do this, I didn't betray you I swear I didn't" she said trying to make him see this. "You did and your citizens will pay for it" he said in a low voice. "I guess you really are heartless" she said and turned and left him alone. After the princess left the streets flooded with parents holding their children. All of them looking at him pleading with him to have mercy, none of the glances got to him. Then he noticed five people come to the front of the crowd. "Arbutus, I am the great sorceress Yesenia, this is my sister Crystal, my friend Merkal, and Hadiya, and Samir" Yesenia said loud enough for all to hear. "I beg you to rethink this whole idea" she said calmly, Hadiya watched the man. "No I want a child or you shall all perish" he said coldly. Yesenia felt the two children clutch her, "You have only a few minutes before I destroy you" Arbutus said glaring at them. Hadiya let go of Yesenia though the adults had assumed that she had slept she had been up all night thinking. "No" she screamed out, everyone looked at her, the tall plant man looked at her in surprise. "I will go with you Arbutus but spare them please" she said looking at him and then boldly walked toward him. He eyed her, "Your going to come with me willingly?" he asked in shock, she heard Samir holler "No Hadiya." She looked at him, "I want to do this" she said calmly, Samir ran up beside her, "If you go, I go" he said firmly. Arbutus was even more thrown off by this action, Yesenia watched the two children proudly they were brave. "Very well" Arbutus said, "You shall both come with me" he went to lift the two up and heard someone say something. "Arbutus can't we at least say goodbye" Crystal asked looking at the two children. "You may but make it quick and no tricks" he said, and watched the five of them closely. Yesenia hugged the little girl, "You are what your name means Hadiya and I'm so proud of you" she said and hugged the girl, Hadiya looked at her, "I will see you again I'll get him to let you come visit us" she vowed. Yesenia nodded and then hugged Samir as he came up to her, "Your really brave you know that" she said and ruffled his hair. Merkal and Crystal said their goodbyes to the two, and then walked back towards the crowd. The two children proceeded to walk to Arbutus, then the crowd looked at them, "Thank you Hadiya and Samir," they said in unison knowing it had been a hard decision. The two waved at the crowd and stepped up to Arbutus, "We are ready to go home now" Hadiya said and smiled at him. He smiled back at her and Samir, "I will be like your family" he mumbled quietly to the two. "We have no family only friends" Samir said and waited for the departure. "Then I will be your family after all you will live with me for along time" Arbutus said and motioned for the leaves to close around them.

(Hadiya means (Gift) in Arabic and Samir means (Shooting Star) I consider a shooting star a gift and both deserved these names) this was partially based on what I know of being teased, Hadiya, Samir, Yesenia, and Crystal are mine Merkal is Marco's the families are ours, and the Disney characters are just that. All poems belong to me if you wish to use them just ask and give me credit.)