Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Discovery by Michelle Bowen
[Reviews - 2] Printer

- Text Size +
Chapter 2 The Discovery

By Michelle Bowen

The greatest discovery on earth, can be found in the heart.

It was a warm muggy day, there was no breeze blowing and the market place was crowded. I looked around carefully avoiding the running children, carts, and merchants. The merchants reminded me of my friend Merkal, he had been gone for weeks. It was strange not having him around all the time, we shared so many ideas, and adventures. "Yesenia" I was quickly snapped out of my thoughts, and turned to see my sister running towards me. "Crystal, what's wrong?" I asked her, Crystal smiled at me. "Nothing but I have a surprise" she said. I looked at her curiously, I was always to curious for my own good. "Lets go see the surprise then" I said while taking her hand, Crystal and I had been through so much not only were we sisters but best friends. She always had something up her sleeve for me and I always had something up my sleeve for her as well, well if I had sleeves which I don't . After walking for a few minutes my curiosity was driving me crazy, what was her surprise? "Okay here we are" she said as we stopped in front of a stand. "What?" I asked looking at her, what did the stand have to do with the surprise was it the surprise. "Close your eyes" she instructed me, after I gave her a side wards glance I closed my eyes. "How long do I have to keep them closed for?" I asked, no response came. "You can open them now" I heard a familiar voice say, I knew it wasn't Crystal's voice. I quickly opened my eyes and to my surprise and amazement my best friend stood before me. "Merkal its you I missed you" I said as I hugged him, he hugged me back and then smiled at me and I at him. It felt so good to see him again and I just couldn't stop smiling. "Merkal when did you return?" I asked him, he looked at Crystal. "Just this morning and I bumped into her on the way home" he said while pointing at my sister.

Merkal looked around for a moment and then took Rafeek's reigns, "I haven't seen my mother yet nor have I seen Fazaal what do you say we head over that way?" I nodded, "I suppose if we have to" I said sarcastically. Crystal came up beside us, "Yeah I miss Fazaal already." Merkal and I immediately laughed it was so sweet when my sister and her boyfriend did this. "So Merkal how was Greece?" I asked him, I had been waiting for a while to hear about any adventure he might have had. "It had lots of nice people, but as Genie put it 'There's nothing quite like a friend" he said smiling at the two of us. I nodded in agreement, "Nothing" I said and looked at Crystal, she nodded. The three of us walked down the street side by side with Rafeek behind us. I don't think he liked it one bit, he wanted to be right beside Merkal.

As we walked into Aadab's house Fazaal looked up and smiled Crystal, Merkal, and me. "Aunt Adab, Merkal is home" he said loud enough for her to hear him. She ran out of the other room and towards her son, "Merkal I missed you so much." She continued to hug him for a few minutes, "I missed you too mother" Merkal said while hugging her back. I smiled at the happy family, then I saw Crystal head towards Fazaal. They hugged and gave each other a kiss, a smile played over my lips it was great to see my sister so happy. After Aabad let go of her son it was Fazaal's turn to hug his cousin, "I want to hear all your stories" he said while grinning. "I'll tell you everything, but first I must sit down I'm tired you know" Merkal said goodnaturedly. I smiled at him, he was always joking about stuff only every now and then completely serious about something and that was only when it was absolutely true or urgent. "I can imagine your tired, traveling all that way" I said talking for the first time since we had arrived at his mother's home. Merkal smiled at me, "Yeah if I had been you I could have just thrown the cape of yours over myself and I would have been here" he said with a laugh, I laughed along with him. "Its not that easy" I said, "It takes a lot of energy to do, and if your traveling with an animal it takes even more." Merkal stood up and went to get a drink of water, "I know that Yesenia you've told me something like that before" he said giving me a side ways grin. My stomach felt like there were a million butterflies in it, "Okay" I said and gave him the same grin.

I watched as Merkal walked to a chair sitting down across from me, he turned and looked at me and said, "still it's handy that you can." I nodded in agreement "in times of danger it sure can" I said. For a moment there was an absolute silence. Setting his glass on the table Merkal noticed that his cousin and my sister only had eyes for each other. Smiling the merchant thought that he missed allot when he was away, his cousin fell even more in love with Crystal. With a cough Merkal got Fazaal's attention. Embarrassed Fazaal broke the connection between him and his girlfriend. I started to laugh causing made Crystal look up it hit her what she and her boyfriend where doing she got beet red and shove away from Fazaal. "So Merkal tell us about Greece?" Fazaal asked his cousin. I thought of how funny my sister and Fazaal acted. "Yes Merkal please tell us what you did there" I asked her best friend.

"Okay I tell you" Merkal said, "Well first off all the buildings in Athens are so different then here in Agrabah. At first I got lost, thinking that I should look for Aladdin's friend Hercules I begun wondering trough the streets of the city. At some point I met a girl that seemed to be as lost as me. She told me her name was Yasmine." Stopping for moment getting his glass of water again to take another drink. He looked from his mother, his cousin to my sister and then at me knowing he had all of our attention. "Only her name reminded me of Jasmine and how I already missed home" Aadab smiled. "Anyway she came from another city in Greece close by Athens so with her help I eventually found someone who knew her way around. She helped me finding a place to stay for the next weeks. Together with my new friends I explored Athens the rest of that week. It's a nice city and the people there are nice too but in many ways different then here." Aadab suddenly interrupted her son "how silly of me I forgot to ask you all if you want to drink something." She said to her guests. "Well I would like a glass of water" I replied looking at Aadab. Before she could stand up Merkal held her back saying "I'll get it for her mother."Aadab smiled at her son "thank you Merkal." Standing up and grabbing his own glass Merkal went into the kitchen to get me water and refill his own glass.

"He's such a good son" Merkal's mother said. Hearing Yesenia's response to Aadab did him smile getting a very happy feeling all over. "I'm sure he is Aabad, I know he's the best friend a girl can wish for. I missed him a lot the last weeks and I'm so happy he's back save and sound." Crystal said, "I can see that Yesenia. Fazaal promise me you will never go away for so long." She said to Fazaal looking at him. Walking back into the room Merkal saw the two of them kissing. Holding still at my chair Merkal said, "they are cute aren't they?" I bursted in a laugh "they are." Crystal broke away from the kiss turning to her sister she said "Well if you were in love as I am you too would like to kiss your boyfriend all the time."It made the merchant wonder, knowing her for so many years but she never mentioned anything about falling in love with someone. But then it wasn't so strange; he too never fell in love with someone. But who needs a girlfriend anyway I have my best friend Merkal thought. "And that's all I need" I looked up after hearing him whisper. "What is all you need?" I asked. "Oh nothing" getting a bit nervous looking down at me. But not sure why he thought to tell her later when they were alone. Looking forward to that moment he remembered how he missed her too. Getting the glass from Merkal I kept looking and smiling at Merkal before I said "thank you Merkal" Returning her smile he said "your welcome" Sitting back in the chair Merkal was ready to tell the rest of the story. "I met Hercules and some of his friends. Icarus is a strange boy, I would almost say he's crazy or something. Then there's Cassandra, a girl of 15 years old I think, she's odd, she can see events long before they happen. Then there's Phil, he's a creature half men half goat very weird. Really there are some weird creatures running around Athens. Oh and Herc, as I call him, has also a way to fly. Like Aladdin has Carpet Hercules has Pegasus, a horse with wings." Merkal stopped to drink some more water. He saw that I was about to do the same. He gave me a smile and made a toast gesture, I returned his smile making the same gesture. "May Allah bring you happiness" I said. I could tell he wanted to say something but stopped himself, maybe he decided it was not right to say it or something oh well. Instead he continued telling about Herc's friends "Yesenia I think you'll Pegasus. Since your fond on horses." Crystal spoke up by saying "She would and so would I" Merkal nodded "It's a very friendly horse." Merkal told and told about his adventures for hours and hours. I noticed that the further he came with his telling the more Crystal and Fazaal got caught in the stories. Merkal has a way of telling I thought listing to my best friend.

The Land of the Black Sand, Mozenrath's Citadel...

"Xerxes where are you" Mozenrath bellowed from his throne room, the eel raced to his master. "What master want?" he asked him looking at him and waiting for his answer, Mozenrath pointed towards the mirror. "Do you see what I see, I see the perfect bait to getting Yesenia here so that I can use her power" he asked and stated at the same time. Xerxes shrugged, "No see" he said stupidly. Mozenrath smirked at the mirror ignoring his familiar's stupidity, "Merkal" was all he said before making the mirror go blank. "I have the crystal of IX ready all we have to do is get him and force her into coming" he said to himself and then closed his fist with the gauntlet on it.

Merkal's home late in the afternoon...

The day went on and it grew later and later finally Crystal and I noticed the time, "We have to go now" we stated at the same time. This caused a laugh to run through the room, we stood and said our farewell to Aadab. Merkal and Fazaal followed us out as usual and walked with us to our house, Crystal and Fazaal hung back behind us and Merkal and I just enjoyed each other's company. As we came to our house we slowed down, then Crystal and I had to say goodbye of course Crystal and Fazaal just had to have another kiss Merkal pointed at them and smiled I nodded. The two guys turned and left leaving Crystal and I to watch them go home.

On the streets of Agrabah...

Merkal and Fazaal walked through the streets of Agrabah after a few minutes of silence they heard something in the alley someone hollering for help. Merkal looked at his cousin, "Let's go see what's going on" he stated and headed toward the alley. A small child was sitting there in the corner crying and afraid, Merkal approached him. "What's wrong?" he asked with concern, the little boy looked up at him and had no tears on his face quickly he changed into a man, "Nothing's wrong with me just you Merkal" Mozenrath stated. He noticed Fazaal, "I wouldn't try stopping me if I were you tell Yesenia if she wishes to see Merkal alive again she must come to my kingdom" he said and grabbed Merkal. "Fazaal do as he says don't try fighting him right now you'll only get hurt" Merkal said before Fazaal had a chance to respond Merkal and Mozenrath were gone. Fazaal turned and ran towards Yesenia's house as fast as he could, as he got to the door he pounded on it "Yesenia, hurry its Fazaal" he hollered. Within seconds the door was opened.

At Crystal's and Yesenia's home...

Crystal opened the door for Fazaal and he walked in, trying to remain calm but failing. "Yesenia Merkal is in trouble and its Mozenrath he wants you to go to his kingdom if you wish to see Merkal alive again" Fazaal said as he sat down on a chair and looked at me. "What!" I exclaimed, Mozenrath was always starting trouble but this was new he wanted me to know about it. "Did he say by when?" I asked Fazaal" he just shook his head, "no" he said calmly. Crystal was sitting next to him trying to keep him calm, "Okay Crystal you stay with Fazaal" I paused, "If I am not back within a reasonable amount of time which means it takes a day by foot to travel but I'm going by teleporting so if I am not back by at least tomorrow morning you are to get Aladdin, Jasmine and everyone else and come find us okay" I said calmly. My sister nodded, "I will do that Yesenia you have to be careful though Mozenrath is a very awful man" she said. I nodded, "I know he is but I have to get Merkal out of there" I looked determinedly around the room for some things that I might need to help get Merkal out. On the counter I saw something that Iago had given me he said that it was a lock pick, that would work, because knowing Mozenrath he would have magic proof chains on Merkal. I grabbed it and stuck it in a safe place a small pouch that was tied to my side. I quickly hugged Crystal, and then gave Fazaal a sympathetic look, then I lifted my cape and was gone. I imagined the land of the black sands and within moments I was there.

In the throne room of Mozenrath, near a window...

Merkal struggled while Mozenrath stood at the window watching and waiting for Yesenia to show up, he prayed silently that she wouldn't be harmed. Mozenrath looked away from the window momentarily and laughed at Merkal, "Fool you can't break those" he said. Merkal scowled at him, "Do you think I didn't know that Fool" he retorted. Mozenrath only glared back out the window, suddenly a smile lit his face the crystals were lighting up and very brightly, "here she comes" he murmured. He moved from the window and waited to greet her, as the door opened he smirked, "Hello Yesenia its nice of you to show up" he said calmly.

The Citadel, the entrance...

I glared at him, "Don't Hello me, where is he Mozenrath and why did you want me to come here" I growled. Mozenrath led me into the other room, by this time I knew it was a trap, but I had no choice but to follow him. "Here is Merkal but I'm afraid that the two of you are going no where" he said as he removed a cloth from a very large object I stepped back. "The crystal of IX" I exclaimed, I knew I was in for some agony then he wanted my power or me to be a servant either way it would be torture. "Yes and you know what will happen too" he stated, he lifted his hand and rubbed the crystal. But before he said anything I said something "Wait I want to say goodbye to my friend before this happens" I walked up to Merkal and quietly handed him the lock pick, "Good luck Merkal" I whispered and kissed him lightly on the cheek.I turned back to Mozenrath, "I'm ready" I said evenly with a glare, I glanced at Merkal once more and then waited for Mozenrath to say the word. "Ixtala" he hollered and a white beam shot out towards me and pulled me in I didn't bother to fight it, Merkal would only get hurt. The process didn't really hurt that badly, as compared to what I knew would happen later on.Mozenrath turned and left the room for a few moments, "Merkal hurry" I said loudly but it only came out a whisper the crystal made it hard to talk with someone. Merkal began to work with the lock pick, he hadn't figured it out when Mozenrath came in and caught him. I held my breath would he hurt him now that I was trapped. Mozenrath only took the lock pick and melted it, "Merkal not wise, now that I have Yesenia trapped I can hurt you anytime" he said and then walked towards me and the crystal. He touched the crystal and closed his eyes as though the feeling of my magic was a treat, he took nothing from me just felt the magic flow. I began to get really worried now he was going to take it instead of just making me follow orders.After a few moments he closed his eyes even more and began to concentrate, I bit my lip in pain he was taking some of it away from me. Merkal watched me the whole time, my thoughts were on him, I would do anything to keep him from harm, and it suddenly took something this dramatic and painful to make me think. We had been friends since I was twelve I was now 20 so for 8 years we had known each other, cared for each other as friends. Bonded so much, we understood the others thoughts without a word being said, we laughed together and cried together. Suddenly my thoughts were broken as Mozenrath drew away, he breathed deeply. "Yesenia your magic is just like mine but unlike mine it is not harming you" he said calmly and then began to test her magic on Xerxes. The eel waited patiently but not wishing himself harm he knew more harm would come if he flew away. Mozenrath said something and zapped the eel, immediately Xerxes was changed into a large animal it was a Horse. Mozenrath changed him back to an eel and then walked up to Merkal. "Your girlfriend's Magic is quite a bit like mine after all" he stated, Merkal looked at him when he said girlfriend he gave him an odd questioning look. I just sat back in the crystal and thought about Merkal some more, he had always treated me and my sister with respect, and there was always something happening that brought us only closer together. Without realizing it a tear went down my face, Merkal saw it and was angry he thought it was because Mozenrath had hurt me. "Mozenrath your going to pay" he hollered at him. "I've heard that many time before Merkal so don't think I'm afraid of you" he mocked him. I wiped the tear away and glared at Mozenrath, "SHUTUP" I hollered at him, I hated him right now for what he was doing. He was stealing a part of me, my magic it had been with me my whole life and like a cruel thief he was stealing it from me. He glanced over at me and then left the room again. Merkal and I relaxed at the same time and then I closed my eyes to rest from the magic that had been drained from me. It was only a short nap more like dozing off, after a few minutes of rest I thought some more. If Merkal and I got out of this alive it would be a miracle, I just hoped I could figure out these new feelings. Strange I knew that they had been with me for some time just I didn't realize it until now, the butterflies in my stomach, and everything else that I had noticed.

Crystal's home midnight...

Crystal and Fazaal sat up all night waiting it was only midnight by now several more hours till they would go get Aladdin and the others if they were needed. "I am going to hurt him if he hurts her or Merkal" Crystal said angrily, Fazaal took her hand and got her to sit down, "Yesenia and Merkal will be just fine" he said reassuring her. Crystal smiled briefly, and then relaxed and looked out at the night sky.

At the Citadel, throne room near Merkal's cage...

"Wake up" I heard Mozenrath say to Merkal, I opened my eyes and watched as Merkal looked at him. "You can actually sleep like that" Mozenrath said with mock in his voice, Merkal just ignored him. "Moz what is your problem did you have no friends to play with for such a long time that you had to invite us in this way?" I asked and mocked the sorcerer back. This drew the attention away from Merkal and onto me, "If I were you I would watch what I say to my new master" he said. I glared at him, "I'm not a genie, stupid" I crossed my arms and then just eyed Mozenrath. Mozenrath looked matter of factual, "You don't have to be a genie to have a master" he retorted. I looked at him, "Your not my master no way are you going to tell me what to do" I growled. Mozenrath shook his head, "Then Merkal will just get it won't he but for now I will just stick to taking your powers from you I know yours come back more swiftly than mine" he walked away from the crystal and out of the room. Merkal looked at me and spook for the first time, "Yesenia I'm sorry that I got you into this" he said and looked at me. I shook my head "Merkal it's not your fault and you know it" I said calmly and with sympathy at the same time. "I know but if I hadn't gone to help that boy then I wouldn't have gotten us into this" he said, I shook my head again. "Merkal if you hadn't gone to help that boy there might have really been someone in trouble and you wouldn't have been able to help them" I reasoned with him this worked. We both relaxed and smiled at each other even though the situation was not good, for some reason just being able to see one another gave us hope.

Agrabah, Crystal's home...

Crystal looked out at the sky as it began to lighten, the sun was rising and Yesenia was not back yet. "Fazaal we're going to the palace now" she said and took his hand, the two walked out into the empty street. As they made their way towards the gates a guard stopped them it was Rasoul, "And just where do you think your going?" he asked Crystal. She just looked at him, "Merkal and Yesenia are in trouble and Mozenrath has them we need Aladdin's and Jasmine's help so we are going in the palace" she stated. Rasoul raised an eyebrow "Really how if I don't give you permission who will?" he asked he rather disliked having people expect to be allowed into the palace. Genie appeared next to him, "Rasoul buddy come on let them in cause if you don't I will" he said with a smile. Crystal smiled at him, "Thank you Genie" she said and hugged him. Rasoul rolled his eyes and allowed the three to pass, "If I had it my way I would only let royalty in" he growled under his breath. "Al, Jas Crystal is here to see you" Genie said as he came into the throne room. Aladdin and Jasmine smiled at the other two that came in, "Its great to see you Crystal and Fazaal" they said. "Aladdin Mozenrath kidnapped Merkal to get to Yesenia and now he has them both at his citadel" Crystal said quickly, Aladdin and Jasmine stood up, "Carpet come here, we are going to the land of the black sand" he said loudly, "Come one lets go get them" he said helping Jasmine, Crystal and then Fazaal on Carpet but they didn't fit. Genie looked at them and then formed another carpet, "All Aboard" he hollered and Crystal and Fazaal boarded him. The two carpets took off and flew towards their destination.

Back at throne room inside the crystal...

I noticed the sky change from a dark black to a dull gray, I smiled inwardly but kept the solemn look on my face Mozenrath had just come into the room. He was carrying around a book, and he came and sat down by me and the crystal. He read through it for a few minutes before walking to the window something was bothering him. A crystal lit, he grew angry at me, "You had help ready didn't you" he growled. I bit my lip I had to keep him busy he could hurt Merkal, "Of course I did but there are lots of magic beings out there that could be any one of them" I said. He shook his head, "Don't try to play stupid with me Yesenia" he came close to the crystal, and concentrated briefly. I wanted to cry out but didn't I just bit my lip, tears of pain streamed down my face and anger built within me. Merkal struggled and tried to help me he knew he couldn't but he tried anyway, "Mozenrath" I heard someone holler the voice was familiar a male voice but not Merkal's. I was on my knees and my eyes were closed from the pain by that time. "Aladdin" I heard him scream in rage, after a moment I opened my eyes and looked at them. Mozenrath was getting ready to shoot at him and then behind him I saw Abu picking at the locks that bound Merkal. Merkal rushed over to the crystal and made sure I was okay, I smiled at him. "Merkal get someone with Magic to say Ixtravore" I whispered to him so that Mozenrath wouldn't hear it. Merkal nodded and left, "Genie or Crystal come here now" he hollered. He got responses from both of them at the same time, "One of you must say Ixtravore to get her out of there" he said. Crystal nodded, "Genie it has to be you" she said calmly. Genie nodded "Ixtravore" he said loudly the crystal began to shine brightly, and then it released me. I was so relieved at being out of it, the fact was now he couldn't steal my power. Mozenrath turned to see me out of the crystal, he hollered angrily at me. I just walked by him, and ignored him for the moment, when he quit hollering he left the room there was no use in wasting his magic and he knew it. Merkal ran up to me and so did all the others we ended up in one of Genie's group hugs. Then we got on Carpet and Genie, and went home I was going to sleep all day and I knew Merkal would as well. Though Mozenrath had hurt me so badly and had hurt Merkal I forgave him, for without this horrible incident I would not have known how I felt, now to wait and see if Merkal felt the same way about me. As we flew home my eyes grew heavier and heavier pretty soon I was out of it.

On Genie carpet in midair...

Merkal smiled at Yesenia as she laid her head on his shoulder he wrapped his arm around his dearest friend and let her sleep the entire ride home.

Copyrighted 1999 by Marco Merkelijn and Michelle BowenCharacters are all ours except Al, Jas, Genie, Abu, Carpet, Rasoul, Mozenrath, and Xerxes they are Disney's.