Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Tails, You Lose by Brittany Porter
[Reviews - 1] Printer

- Text Size +
Tails, You Lose

by Brittany Porter

It must have been wonderful to be in Agrabah that day. Not a cloud was to be seen in the beaming blue sky, the weather was warm, but not overbearing, and rainfall in the weeks previous had made the desert city blossom like never before. Flowers littered the windowsills of nearly every house and perfumed the streets. Fruit vendors had shops full of ripe, lush goods, which tasted better than ever due to the extra, nourishing moisture in the growing season. Pointed-arch doors and windows stood open, letting in soothing, scented breezes.

Agrabah’s citizens were enjoying life like never before. Because of all the kingdom’s recent prosperity, life had become easier for them. Before them stood a myriad of commodities, with new items available every day. Food cost less due to surfeit spring and summer harvests, making it easier for even the most destitute citizen to eat a good meal. Merchants from far and near were coming to Agrabah more and more, trying to get the upper hand on the thriving market. The kingdom was truly at a peak of economic bloom, and life was good for the citizens, who, in light of the prosperity, had little to worry about.

Of course, the aforementioned reasons were not the only ones that made the day so wonderful. The sultan had declared a holiday to celebrate the kingdom’s present burst of wealth, and nearly everyone was in the streets celebrating. Scores of school-aged children ran rampant in the market, liberated from their otherwise menial tasks of busywork in hot mud-brick schoolhouses. Middle-aged mothers gossiped in doorways, free from household chores, their loose hoods draped around their faces in a carefree fashion. In the city’s main square, old folk music gave rhythm to gathering dancers. A blithe spirit weighted the air, making the day one that would be remembered always in the happy hearts of the people.

„ „ „ „

In another part of the same desert region the atmosphere was not so happy, even though the landscape was lovely. It was just as sunny here as in Agrabah, with mild, damp seaside air touching rough and smooth red-orange rocks. Foamy ocean currents beat on the sun-blanched shore, leaving multi-colored conch shells and sand dollars on the beach. Gulls sang to each other and dolphins played in the pulsing waves, droplets of water glistening off their backs and reflecting the sunlight... .

It may have been paradise, but the mistress of those seas was far from enjoying it. Saleen, deep in her watery home, sat on a cushion supported by a giant clam shell, arms folded stubbornly across her chest.

"I'm bored!" she grumbled and looked around for something interesting to do. She had already sunk two ships that day (but because this is a "G-rated" fan fic, no one was *seriously* injured.) All around her was water, other water and hmm,... more water. How monotonous! Aquamarine was not the most interesting color at the moment, and added to her palled mood.

"Shall we see what the surface people are up to?" she said to no one in particular as she passed her magical hands over a pearl-cased mirror, which clouded and then revealed what she demanded. Through the portal, she could see all the kingdoms of the seven deserts. The people she saw each seemed to be enjoying the day. (With the exception of Mozenrath, who sat on his throne pouting because he didn't have a date that night, Mirage who couldn't find her girdle and refused to leave Morbia ..., and Mekhanikles, who was getting his under-tunic in a bunch freaking out over the kitty litter mess Chaos left him ...) The pleasant scenes, and even the comical ones annoyed Saleen because she was stuck in her watery land with nothing to do.

"I'll just have to find my own entertainment ... or make some," she concluded, looking a bit less bored with the day. Saleen passed her hand over the mirror-portal to reveal Agrabah. The first thing she saw was a very familiar face ... Aladdin’s. He was holding his prize for winning a game in the marketplace. He handed it to Princess Jasmine, who smiled and said something to the effect of 'oh Aladdin, it’s wonderful.’ Saleen just about gagged and disgustedly waved her hand over the portal, causing the surface to mist and the scene to disappear.

"Blast those land-dwellers!" she said grumpily, while throwing a conch shell against the wall of the grotto. Seeing Agrabah’s most famous couple brought back the memories their last encounter. They had tricked her into believing Aladdin had fallen in love with her, and she had lost the cruel game she had been playing with them. "I never lose!" she growled and threw another shell at the wall. It shattered and a little sea creature ran out from the fragments, scuttling away with a metallic-like clink-clink
on the ocean floor.

Saleen smiled and watched it flee, a stray thought sparking her interest. "I didn't lose! Maybe... the game is not over. Not until I say it is," she smirked. "I told them they'd regret the indignity they caused me ... about time I make good that promise." She looked back into Agrabah’s portal and watched with great interest. "don't worry, Aladdin, you'll be mine shortly, and you won't have to worry about your precious Jasmine any more," she declared with a simpering smile.

Through the portal she saw Agrabah, the day light just beginning to give in to dusk. The musicians started playing a slow, sweet song. She watched Aladdin lead Jasmine to the 'dance floor’ in the city’s main square. They began to sway to the entrancing tune. Saleen’s smile did not wane, it increased. "Have fun while you can, you two," she whispered. "We'll meet soon enough."

"One way or another I'm gonna find you

I'm gonna get you, get you, get you

One way or another I'm gonna win you

I'll win you!"

„ „ „ „

The festival in Agrabah lasted all day and was just beginning to die down as the sun started to sink behind the distant dunes. Aladdin and Jasmine had spent the day with the people of the city, participating in the merriment and quite enjoying themselves. But, though the day was wonderful, they were worn out and happy that the party was almost over. As the orchestra began playing its last enchanting cadence of the night, Aladdin pulled Jasmine back in to the city square. A true couple of the people, they danced side by side with their citizens.

Only a few stray party-goers lingered in the marketplace by the end of the dance. Aladdin clasped Jasmine’s hand and started to lead her to her glowing palace home, still humming the melody of the last song. They took the long way, along the silent, still avenues Aladdin had known all his life. The two lovers did not talk much as they went through the streets, just looked at each other now and then and smiled.

Approaching the walls to the palace, they could smell dinner cooking, and what a wonderful aroma it was. Sweet spices mingled with honey-marinated meats, rare vegetables (aah, the beloved carrot) and savory soups. Aladdin’s stomach grumbled loudly with the incoming olfactory sensations and he put his hand on his stomach in an effort to silence it.

Too late. Jasmine turned her head and asked with a smile, "Did you say something?" Aladdin grinned back and sheepishly admitted, "Just forgot to eat today, that’s all."

"Well, that’s an easy problem to settle," Jasmine declared. "Come join Father and me for dinner then." It was not a request; rather a demand, but either way he had no objections. More time to spend with his lovely fiancée. Lucky for our hero, he was already in his "I'm a hot prince, here’s my number" duds, and did not have to change.

When Aladdin and Jasmine walked in the dining room facing the menagerie, they were a little surprised to see the guys; Abu, Genie, Iago and Carpet, already there eating with Sultan. The gang beckoned for Al and Jas to come join them.

"Ah, my boy. Just the person I wanted to see," Sultan expressed as Aladdin came near. "Sit down, there is something we need to discuss after dinner." Aladdin and Jasmine both gave each other the same confused look and sat down next to each other on a large, vermilion cushion. Dinner proved to be interesting at least. Genie did an unusually weird comic show, which included Elizabeth Taylor, Barbara Streisand and Andy Griffith impersonations, sending the sultan into hysterics. Abu and Iago, as their customary nighttime activity, fought over every article of food and just about everything else... you know, a typical Arabian night.

At the end of the meal, Sultan pushed his plate away, which was picked up by an attendant, and rested his elbows on the huge table. He looked over to Aladdin and began, "Now Aladdin, I need to speak to you concerning a favor I need." Aladdin wiped his mouth with his linen napkin, straightened up his posture and faced the sultan.

"Anything you need, sir, I am happy to comply," Aladdin expressed, trying to sound stately. Jasmine rolled her eyes with a smile and placed her soft hand over Aladdin’s.

"This morning I had an ambassador from Gonthestan speak to me," Sultan continued. "He was sent by King Zola and requested the presence of an Agrabanian representative to join them in an alliance accord, joining our two kingdoms in case of war. Gonthestan would make a powerful ally, and they have always been kindly disposed toward Agrabah. It would be wise to take the opportunity to link with them. Therefore, Aladdin, I wish to send you as our representative. I believe you can handle the responsibility of such a task."

After some astounded staring, Aladdin blinked for the first time in what seemed like forever. "Me?" he asked, his voice unintentionally cracking. The sultan smiled and nodded. It would have been an insult for Aladdin to refuse
such an offer, and he felt flattered by Sultan considering him for the job. Aladdin cleared his throat, "I would be honored to, Sultan."

The roly-poly monarch smiled gleefully and clapped his hands while giggling. "Very good," he said happily. "You leave tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?" Aladdin looked over to Jasmine who just gave him a small, regretful smile. They had planned to go to the nearby waterfront tomorrow and spend the day sailing and playing water sports with the guys. It would just have to wait, like so many things often had.

"Yes, will that be all right, Aladdin?"

Jasmine spoke for him, "Tomorrow will be fine, Father." Aladdin smiled, thankful she understood. Still, he hated to break plans with her to go spend two weeks with stuffy royals. Duties did have to be attended to, though, no matter what the parties involved had planned otherwise.

„ „ „ „

In her palace of pearl and obsidian, Saleen watched the dinner scene in Agrabah. "Go Aladdin," she chuckled. "This is going to be easier than I thought!" Laying down on a bed of soft moss, she looked up at the moon through murky azure waves and laughed heartily. "Those surface-dwellers, they never see what’s coming until it’s too late!"

„ „ „ „

Morning came all too soon for Jasmine. She sat up in bed and groaned, remembering she had to send Aladdin off on his journey today. It would be a few weeks until she would see him again, and she resolved to look her best.

Jasmine came to the throne room a little while later. Aladdin was already there and had been for a while, getting ready for the trip. He looked up from packing when he heard Jasmine’s soft footsteps and smiled at her. "Why did she have to look so beautiful today?" he thought to himself, already regretting the weeks of her presence he would be missing.

Jasmine returned the smile, but thought to herself, "Oh, why did he have to look so handsome today?" She walked over to Aladdin’s side and knelt next to him. She started going through his baggage to make sure he had everything he needed for the journey. Aladdin smiled affectionately over at her and watched her carefully fold each item of clothing and arrange the other supplies. Sure, a servant could have done the same, but he loved the way she cared enough to help him out personally. It made him feel as if they were married, not just engaged.

Jasmine finished checking the supply list just before Rasoul entered. Aladdin and Jasmine rose to their feet and Rasoul bowed cordially to the princess and sneered at Aladdin.

"The caravan is ready, your highness," he said, addressing only Jasmine. "They will leave as soon as the streetr- - er, Aladdin- is ready." Rasoul stopped himself short of saying "street rat" seeing Jasmine’s foreboding glare.

Jasmine thanked the neanderthal-of-a-guard and dismissed him. Then, turning to Aladdin, she let out a small sigh. Without looking him in the eye she walked over to him and straightened his collar. "There, that’s better," she asserted with a small smile and let her hand slide down to rest on his chest for a moment before letting it fall. She turned her eyes to his and said quietly, "Have fun on your trip. I'll miss you."

Aladdin placed one hand on Jasmine’s smooth hair and ran his fingers in it for a moment while catching her falling hand in his other hand. He could already feel the mantle of duty falling heavy on his heart but managed to smile. "It’s just for a week or two, Jas. I'll be back soon." He breathed out heavily and gave her a pouting look, then pulled her in and gave her a firm, brief hug. When he let her go, she looked him deep in the eyes, at the floor, then back up to him.

Aladdin’s face fell.

"What did I say?" Jasmine asked, a little confused at his reaction.

Aladdin sighed and hugged her again. It’s not what you say, but what you do. I hate to leave, and it’s worse when you turn those big brown eyes on me."

Tilting her head, she beamed and said, "So I haven't lost my touch yet?"

He answered her with a kiss on the forehead, then a very soft kiss on the lips. "I'll be back soon, I promise, Jasmine. Then we can go on our date to the sea shore and it will all be perfect, right?" He ran his finger under the bottom of her chin and lifted her face to look in her eyes. She still seemed a bit dismayed. "Jasmine, what’s wrong?" he asked gently.

Jasmine looked away for a minute, then confessed her fear. "Why do I get the feeling that the second you leave some horrible monster is going to wreak havoc on Agrabah and we'll be one hero short? The heroine needs a break too, you know," she expressed, a tinge of sarcasm in her voice.

Aladdin grinned and pulled her back in his embrace. "What are the chances of something like that happening?" he asked brightly.

"In Agrabah?!" she returned with a surprised, but amused voice. "Something like that happens every day!"

"Oh, right... Well, don't worry. I'll be back soon. If any creeps come by, give them some of your princess
power."

Jasmine laughed and nodded. "I guess you're right, Aladdin. I'm worrying too much about it. Meet me here as soon as you get back? " she asked hopefully.

"Of course." Aladdin picked up her hand and kissed it while looking her in the eyes.

A few moments of awkward silence followed as the two stared at each other for what seemed like a long time.

"Well, ... I guess you better be on your way." Jasmine gave Aladdin a long, tight hug, her cheek pressed against his. Her long lashes brushed against his cheek, sending a wonderful tingle up his spine.

"That tickles!" Aladdin whispered in her ear.

Jasmine laughed, then let him go and picked up one of his bags. Together they walked out to the waiting caravan and loaded up Aladdin’s horse. Iago and Genie were already at the head of the group of horses, ready for their 'vacation’ to Gonthestan. (Apparently, as Iago pointed out, there were some really good casinos in that town. At least those would keep Bird Boy happy.)

Aladdin gave Jasmine a sweet departing kiss and waved to the sultan and Abu. Upon leaving, Aladdin turned and waved every few minutes. Jasmine stood on the palace steps, waving back. She watched the group until they were only a distant colored speckle between the sand dunes near the city.

„ „ „ „

The days following Aladdin’s departure were perhaps the most monotonous of Jasmine’s life. "What was I so worried about?" Jasmine mumbled to herself as she sat in the garden reading. Books were just about all there was to do to pass the time. Aladdin was not here to talk with, go on adventures with, or . . well, make out with. Genie was gone, meaning no outrageous, spontaneous burst of weirdness. Iago was missing in attendance, so Abu had no one to harass or throw food at. He was, in fact, being a complete and total gentleman. Though Jasmine liked the change at first, it was now really kind of humdrum. She was a little disappointed. During the week Aladdin, Genie and Iago had been gone, she had not even had a nightmare. No threats, no monsters, no bad weather, no talking fruit, no ... anything. Jasmine shrugged and went back to her book, which was written in Greek. (How many princesses can do that, I ask you?)

Abu entered the garden a few minutes later and perked up when he saw Jasmine there. Maybe she could think of something fun to do... He clambered up to her shoulders, then looked quizzically down at the strange text. "What’s that?" he asked in semi-coherent monkey talk.

"Good question, Abu," Jasmine replied with a little giggle. She turned the book upside down just to make Abu laugh. "Does it makes more sense this way?"

Abu cocked his head upside down to inspect the new symbols, then looked at Jasmine and shook his head. "Uh-uh," he told her.

Jasmine scratched him behind the ears and placed the book down. "Me neither," she admitted. I haven't studied Greek in over two years. Makes me wish Mekhanikles was here ..."

Abu grinned and chattered, "Yeah."

"Let’s find something to do, okay?" Jasmine picked up the book and looked at Abu mischievously. She walked over to her Bengal tiger and patted him on the head. "Have fun, Rajah. This is a book about a rich, overdressed prince!"

Rajah grunted happily as Jasmine set the new chew toy before him. What a great best friend she was!

After Jasmine put on her "I'm in disguise, recognize me?" town outfit, she and Abu set off to the marketplace.

Following another few hours of hanging out with Abu in the market, shopping, visiting Sadira, playing with Rajah and releasing captive snow white doves in the menagerie’s carved cages, Jasmine gave up on entertaining herself and she and Abu went to see what the sultan was up to. Even politics would be more interesting at this point! As they walked along the hallway to the throne room, they heard the murmur of voices. One was the sultan’s, the other one a female voice.

"... So you see, your majesty, the advantages of opening trade with Atlantapolis." they heard the woman, who was wearing a flamboyant dress made of peacock feathers, say to the sultan. The woman continued, "Especially with Agrabah being in such recent prosperity. I was in the marketplace yesterday and had a chance to see your fair kingdom. Atlantapolis’s wealth and our own prosperity will add to yours, I am sure." She smiled politely.

"Yes, my dear, but we must know about the city first. I myself have never heard of the place," Sultan expressed, sounding a bit skeptical.

The woman put her hands out in a friendly gesture. In a voice coated with sugar, she proposed, "Oh, by all means, send someone to the kingdom to peruse all it has to offer. We would love to show them all our kingdom has in store. Perhaps you have a spare prince or princess that could favor us with their presence?"

A lightbulb went on in the sultan’s head. "As a matter of fact, my daughter could...," Sultan rubbed his beard and muttered incoherent thought chains to himself. "Jasmine has
been so bored lately, getting out would do her good ... maybe. Hmm..." A few minutes of debating produced an intelligible answer, "Yes, 'tis settled then. Princess Jasmine will leave tomorrow morning."

The woman handed Sultan a map. "Use this to find the way to our kingdom. We will expect the princess in the next few days."

"We are delighted to have her come for a visit. I trust she will find it enjoyable."

"Thank you sir, I'm sure the princess will be pleasantly surprised." The woman smiled and curtsied graciously, then allowed a palace courtier to escort her out. As the two approached Jasmine, Abu scrambled off her shoulders and took off. Something about them apparently made him nervous. The courtier and the ostentatious woman passed by Jasmine, who was waiting to enter the throne room by a light blue transparent door screen. Jasmine only got a quick glimpse of the woman as she briskly walked by. In her hands, Jasmine thought she saw a brown scroll, but it was quickly tucked into the woman’s sleeve. Jasmine brushed it off as being the woman’s travel route. But, there was still something familiar, something suspicious about that woman. Her eyes, deep amber in color, gave Jasmine a feeling of déja vu. Jasmine turned her own searching eyes to the floor as the woman looked at her and smiled. After all, it was rude to stare, even for a princess. The woman passed by and laughed softly.

Jasmine looked down at the floor, quickly noting the thin layer of water that was seeping into her small leather shoes. She gazed at the water jug near the adjacent wall, crouched down and found a small leak in the vessel that was emitting the drifting water. Looking at the jug, then down the hall where the woman had been a moment earlier, Jasmine’s heart suddenly skipped a beat. Somehow she managed to displace the uneasy thoughts that followed. "The vase must have been bumped into by a passing, careless servant," she reasoned with herself. It was not an in-depth explanation, but Jasmine did not want to delve further on the matter. It was, after all, just a normal day in Agrabah, right?

„ „ „ „

In Gonthestan, Aladdin was liking his visit and at the same time really missing his girlfriend. The guys were fun to be with, but did not begin to compare to Jasmine. They could not understand them as she did, they did not have the same sense of humor, however comical they could be, and, let’s face it, they sure couldn't kiss the same... These, with a million other 'I love Jasmine’ reasons, made Aladdin incredibly homesick...

Iago was in a grumbling mood because Gonthestan turned out to not even have one casino. There were only a few night clubs (that closed at 9:00) and very nice, honest citizens. No one to coerce into a treasure hunt, midnight falafel raid or name-calling contest. (Help! we're in Branson, Missouri! No offense to anyone who lives there ...) Poor Iago!

Carpet was just 'hanging out’, like carpets often do. He did not wanting to kick Genie’s butt again in whatever game Genie could conjure up, so he just 'laid low.’

As for Genie, he was finding the trip amusing because, well, Genie found everything amusing! He could, after all, zap any interesting thing into existence. At the moment, he was playing catch with Moby Dick in the city’s main fountain. All around him the citizens were laughing vigorously and quite enjoying their first encounter with a real-life Genie.

Aladdin watched the action with indifferent amusement. He enjoyed it, but something was missing, and we all know who that would be.

A little later in the afternoon, Genie, Iago, Carpet and Aladdin explored Gonthestan’s luxurious gardens. As Aladdin looked at a particular heart-shaped flower bed he noticed a group of small white jasmine flowers. He picked one and held it in the palm of his hands delicately. "What do you think they're doing in Agrabah right now?" he asked Genie without taking his eyes from the little blossom.

Genie pinched Aladdin’s cheek playfully. "Aw, is somebody homesick?"

Aladdin cleared his throat. He knew he could tell Genie the truth. "A little I guess."

It must be fate ... Iago flew up and landed on Genie’s shoulder a second later. In his audacious voice, dripping with caustic undertone, he teased, "couldn't be that you miss all that annoying mush with the princess, now could it be?" He puckered up his beak and make slurpy kissing sounds.

"Well, kind of," Aladdin blushed and admitted, leaving himself open to more harassment. He did not mind Iago’s pestering, though. It at least reminded him of home, the place he genuinely wanted to be. Gonthestan had proved to be grand, but there was not much to do alone. Sure, he was with the guys, but the city was more of a resort ... somewhere he wanted to take Jasmine.

"A few more days, maybe a week ..." Aladdin murmured, reminding himself he had been sent on business. Still, he would have much rather been in Agrabah. Life was so boring without Jasmine! He
wondered how he ever found excitement before. (Besides ducking the guards and avoiding that weird oversized cannibal lady in "One Jump" ...)

"C’mon guys, let’s find something to do. I think they're having me sign the last of the papers for the treaty tonight. Let’s see what this city has to offer. We'll be going home soon," Aladdin offered, trying to sound like he was enjoying his stay.

Carpet gave him a zealous thumbs up and the four took off for good, clean fun. (Aw, poor Iago!)

Jasmine woke with the sunrise the next morning. As is it had been the whole week, she had no nightmares, no anything. She was almost let down ... just a normal trade deal...

"Where’s the fun in that?" She wondered out loud and brushed out her ebony hair. She fingered a picture frame on her dressing table and smiled. "Aladdin, come home soon. Life just isn't the same around here without you," she said to his portrait.

Abu came in the room a few minutes later and handed Jasmine a yellow flower from the garden. "For good luck," he uttered in simian talk.

Jasmine smiled and patted him on the head. "Thanks Abu, you and Rajah take care of Father, you hear?" Abu puffed up his chest and gave her a salute while Rajah grunted happily and nudged her with his head.

Jasmine was near the balcony in the throne room getting ready to leave later that morning when a glittering stream of magic near the horizon caught her attention. She squinted, trying to get a better look. It came from the general direction of the Land of the Black Sand...

All of a sudden, she was knocked back by a burst of light blue and black. She toppled to the floor with the force. Her fists automatically clenched, and she looked up warily, expecting to see Mozenrath. Instead, she was pleased to find a friend. Eden, Genie’s girlfriend, stood there with suitcases in hand.

"Ta da! I'm here!" Eden declared, throwing her arms out and sending her luggage flying. One of the bags flew across the room and hit Rasoul in the head. He held back a string of obscenities and looked around for a perpetrator, beady eyes frantically scanning the room. Jasmine, from her seat on the floor, muffled a burst of laughter.

"Hey, where is everybody?" Eden said, scratching her head and looking around the room. Her eyes ran across Jasmine, who was still on the floor holding back snickering as Rasoul rubbed his forehead and babied the minor injury.

Eden placed her hands on either side of her face. With wide eyes she asked innocently, "Gasp! Did I do that?" she made an 'O’ with her mouth and picked up Jasmine. "Sorry babe. Hope I didn't snag the silk!" She snapped her fingers and Jasmine found herself being brushed off by a broom from Fantasia.

"Eden, what are you doing here?" Jasmine asked curiously. "I'm thrilled to see you, but I thought you and Dandi were going to see ..."

"Cancelled!" Eden interrupted. "Dandi gets seasick, you know. Anywho, she told me I needed to take a vacation, so I thought I'd come here and see my big Blue Boy!" Eden beamed, poofed a mirror in front of her, straightened her hair and makeup, and looked around the room again. "So where is he?"

"Genie went with Aladdin to sign an alliance in Gonthestan. They probably won't be back for a few days," Jasmine related. "Sorry to disappoint you."

"Oh. That’s all right. I can wait. In the meantime, Angel-cakes, what are you up to?" Eden grinned, trying to mask her disappointment of not getting to see her main man.

"Well, I have to go on a trade mission to some place I've never even heard of, but I would be honored if you came with me." Jasmine’s voice turned to a whisper, "I think I would enjoy some real company. My companions for the trip are Rasoul, Hakim and a few ladies-in-waiting. Know what I mean?"

"Combined IQ of a below-average snail, right? Well, at least the guards ..."

"Uh, sure," Jasmine answered hesitantly. Whatever the heck IQ was. She put out her hands in the 'let me explain’ gesture. "they're okay and all, but ... you know. With you here, this might actually be fun!"

"Hey, I'm up for it babe! Girls night out! We can paint our toe nails, make popcorn, and stay up all night talking about boys!" Eden pulled out a poster that bore a suspicious resemblance to Cary Elwes (you know, Wesley on the Princess Bride!) and let some drool fall.

Jasmine just smiled.

Eden grabbed her fallen luggage, turned herself into a 'civilian’, and flashed her pearly whites. "So when do we leave?"

"As soon as Rasoul gets over his head injury!" Jasmine whispered with a laugh.

"Serves him right! Wanna see an instant replay?" Eden winked, but behaved herself.

„ „ „ „

The caravan heading to Atlantapolis traveled all day under a merciless desert sun. They camped at night near mouth of a canyon, and started again with the dawn of the next morning. Jasmine and Eden led the group, with the guards and ladies-in-waiting close at hand. The day proved to be the same as the previous had been, hot, dry
and tedious.

Near evening of the second day, Jasmine called for the group to halt. She pulled the reins for her horse to turn around. The horse conveyed her to Rasoul’s side. "Let me see the map, please," she said.

Rasoul wiped a few beads of sweat from his forehead and handed the map over obediently.

Jasmine scrutinized the map carefully, then let out an exasperated sigh. "Why does it seem we've been going in circles for the last day?" she muttered, more to herself than to anyone.

Rasoul looked at her cautiously, not wanting to be accused of following the map incorrectly. He had done just what the directions told him to, after all.

After squinting at the map for a minute, Jasmine lowered it from in front of her eyes. She did not yell or reprimand, just thanked Rasoul and took the map with her to the front of the team. "Let’s stop for a water break," she declared, and started looking at the map again. Eden poofed into her bottle, which was in Jasmine’s pocket, for a little 'genie time’. Everyone but Jasmine dismounted with thankful grunts.

As the group popped open water skins and began to relax, Jasmine led her horse a little way from the group. Something about the atmosphere was not right. A sickening wave of déja vu hit her and did not pass like it had earlier when she had seen the woman talking to her father. The rocks were familiar. Their rounded edges looked like they had been eroded from years of water, but not a drop of water was to be found near... A few gulls squawked overhead in the darkening blue sky. Jasmine could feel herself tensing up, knowing she had been here before. The problem was she did not know when or how.

"Yes, Princess, just a little closer ..." a siren voice beckoned. The princess could not discern where the voice came from, but felt compelled to explore the area. Jasmine looked back at the group, who were still resting, then nudged her horse with her foot to tell it to keep going. She looked down at the map again. "This can't be right ... this map doesn't even make sense. According to this, there should be a lake or an ocean here. Atlantapolis. Hmm." She checked her vast mental foreign language inventory... . Greek. "City of Atlanta ..." She suddenly realized the name for what it was, a folly seen too late.

"Oh no," Jasmine gasped with frustration as the sand around her started to slide as if going into a funnel. "Quicksand, here?" she marveled out loud, confused how it would be possible without the presence of water. Her horse, suddenly spooked, reared on its hind legs and whinnied loudly. Though she tried to steady the animal, it would not be pacified. Jasmine screamed as she was thrown from the frightened horse, that took off running away from both her and the group. The princess hit the ground hard with a resounding thud. She remained there, unmoving.

"Princess!" Rasoul cried upon hearing her distressed scream. He dropped his waterskin immediately and ran towards her. The ladies in the group gasped in both alarm and fear. They placed their hands over their hearts and uttered, "Oh please no, oh please..."

Though she had fallen and hit the ground surprisingly hard, the princess was, in fact, uninjured. Jasmine was amazed to find hitting the ground did not hurt much. It was, in fact, like landing on something more ... fluid. It felt wet and smooth, not gritty. The sand was still funneling down, and began to create a whirlpool. Jasmine could feel the weight of the moving sands on her back legs, pulling her downward. Rasoul made it to her in time to grab her flailing arms and tried to pull her out. Try as he could to free her, he was unexpectedly thrown off balance by a massive sweeping mound of sand. From where he landed, Rasoul gawked at the scene before him. Whirling, spiraling sand materialized into droplets of water, creating a tunnel of earth and liquid. The whirlwind completely covered the captive princess, gulping her under the sea of tan sand.

When the display of awesome aquatic power was over, the landscape regained its normal appearance of dunes, rock and sand. Rasoul scrambled to his feet, but fell back on his knees. "Oh no, Princess Jasmine!" For the first time in his super-manly life, Rasoul let a tear fall down his face. It hit the ground, and was sucked into the mysterious sand. He punched the earth with his oversized fists, frustrated, exasperated and grieved.

The group ran over to Rasoul’s side quickly, all in shock of what they had just seen. Their beloved princess, gone! Rasoul, Hakim, and the ladies started digging in the sand like rabid animals, hoping to find their purloined treasure. Half an hour of searching produced no results, and each member of the group looked at the others in absolute fear. "What will the sultan do?" they all worried. "Oh no." A jackal howled in the distance and they looked up at the sky. In their mad search, they had not even noticed twilight had set in. Stars began dotting the sky rapidly. It
would be useless to search for Jasmine any more that night.

Rasoul scooped up some of the peculiar sand and put it in an emptied waterskin. The sultan might never believe him without proof. "don't just stand there, let’s get back to Agrabah! The sultan must know immediately!" he commanded the group. No one even teased him about the fact that his voice was wavering in panic.

In the light of the rising moon, each shuffled posthaste to their respective horse, and they headed at breakneck speed to Agrabah. Strong winds picked apart the sand dunes, making loose sand go everywhere, hindering the group’s progress. Spitting grains of dirt from his mouth, Rasoul kept prompting, "C’mon, just one more dune and we're home. Let’s keep moving!"

„ „ „ „

As the panicked group left the desert in the night, Aladdin was in his room in Gonthestan, happily dreaming of the not-too-distant reunion with his beloved Jasmine. Though his dreams were pleasant, his sleep was not peaceful. He woke up several times, tossing and turning. Knowing that whenever Jasmine was restless she went to her balcony, Aladdin decided to try the treatment. Gazing at the thousands of pale orbs in the firmament, he wanted more than ever to be home, making that restiveness worse.

He walked back in his room with the intent of trying to go to sleep again but lingered in the doorway for a minute. His eyebrows knitted when he thought he heard the echo of a woman’s scream. No one was nearby, save Iago and Genie, who were both asleep. "I must be hearing things," he reasoned. Aladdin looked back out at the sky and whispered, "Goodnight, Princess," in the direction of Agrabah and let a sigh escape his lips. He looked at the brightest star in the sky for a long time, counting all that he was thankful for before he went back to his room. In the feathery bed, he again slipped into a light slumber.

Like before, the sleep did not last. In the middle of the night, Aladdin’s eyes suddenly popped wide open. He sat up abruptly, cold swept beads on his face from his nightmare. His hands were shaking. Throwing the covers off, he got out of bed and ran to the balcony. The city was peacefully sleeping, with no threat for him to heroically quell. Strange ... He raised an eyebrow and turned to step back into his room.

From nowhere it seemed, a desert wind blew the curtains wildly. A stray something tickled his bare feet. Aladdin looked down. Carried in by the soft wind, a pure white jasmine flower lay there. The gust that brought it had the scent of wet sand and sweet sea foam. A flutter of worry crept into Aladdin’s heart as he picked up the blossom and cupped it in his hands like a precious treasure. The petals were damp, but velvety soft. No one had told him a thing, but somehow he knew his own Flower was in danger.

„ „ „ „

Jasmine woke hours later in a cold, dim place. It was like an underwater cavern, and through the ceiling of water she could see the pale, fading moonlight and upcoming dawn streaming in. "What is this place?" she asked, not expecting an answer from the passing schools of white-bellied fish. It soon dawned on her that she could breathe underwater, which alone was enough to tip her off as to her whereabouts, and an all-too-familiar voice confirmed the suspicion.

"Welcome once again to my world, Princess Jasmine. How nice of you to drop in." The eerie siren voice made Jasmine turn abruptly, looking for the source.

"Saleen! Where are you?" Jasmine tried to keep her calm, but her voice rang true of her feelings. This was not a wanted meeting.

"Calm down, Princess. Why do people always shout when the person they're looking for is right next to them?" Jasmine whipped her face to her left and found an orange-tailed mermaid hovering there calmly, her face resting on her hands. "So, what brings you here?" Saleen asked innocently.

Jasmine ground her teeth. "Quit playing dumb, you know you're the one that brought me here! What do you want now, Saleen? Why am I here?" Jasmine was using her most regal, commanding tone, but it just made Saleen laugh.

"Oh Jasmine, you mean you haven't figured it out yet?" Saleen asked between cackling fits.

"What?!"

Saleen flashed what was perhaps her most charming smile ever. "Do you remember a challenge I proposed the last time we met? That I would steal Aladdin’s heart? Well, Princess, you get to watch me do it."

Jasmine glared in annoyance. "Give it up, Saleen! You lost that game, remember?"

"On whose rules? I made up the game, I get to call when it’s over. This is just another round. I don't think Aladdin will possibly be able to resist me this time."

"Whatever, Saleen. Nothing could ever come between Aladdin and me. Or didn't we prove that last time?" Jasmine answered with a burst of confidence.

"Nothing can come between you? Yeah, sure hun. Take a good look at yourself, Jasmine. Believe me, I don't think he'd ever want you now."

Jasmine scowled at Saleen, then slowly examined herself.
Where silk, skin and leather should have been, she found scales, shells and fins. She gasped at the sight. "What did you do to me?!" she barked at the menacing mermaid.

Saleen fluttered above Jasmine with an amused smile. "Oh Princess, it’s all in good fun, right? we're the same species now, get used to it. Well, until I go human again. don't you think I'd be the talk of the seven deserts? The 'Belle of the Swell’ on the arm of the famous hero, Aladdin? Hmm, sounds good to me."

That was enough to send Jasmine in a rage. She lashed out at Saleen, but was caught off guard by something behind her. Armand, Saleen’s overgrown marine cephalopod, held Jasmine back. "You touch him, I swear I'll ..." Jasmine threatened.

"You'll what? Threaten me to death? Splash water on me? Oooh, I'm really scared," Saleen taunted.

"You won't win, Saleen. Aladdin would never go for you."

"Never? Oh you surface girls, you always underestimate what’s possible... Well, dollface, there are two ways of going about this. You see, first, you now are incapable of being in the same environment together. That might put a little distance between you... Second, he'll never even be able to find you. You think your ape guard and servants could find the way back here without the map? Yeah, right. didn't you hear the sand storm last night? No more footprints. Besides, the sea scape is camouflaged with my magic sand. At sunset, you should be a mermaid permanently, and Aladdin will be mine."

"you're sick, you know that, Saleen?" Jasmine growled, giving the mermaid a cat fight death stare.

"Ooh, if looks could bruise!" Saleen scoffed. "Do humans always talk this much?"

A few seconds later morning rays broke the surface of the cavern. Saleen looked up toward the sky and smiled as the first ship of the morning darkened the interior of the cavern. She turned to Jasmine and grinned. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Come on, Armand." With that, the mermaid was off to the surface.

Upon reaching shore, Saleen zapped herself some legs and began to walk away from where the cavern was. Jasmine took the immediate opportunity to aim for the surface in hopes of escape. "Just a few more seconds to sunlight!" she told herself, nearing the top. A fierce, ice-like barrier hit her at the surface, causing her to fall down a little way into the cavern. Saleen turned heel, walked back near the cavern, and crouched by the water. "Thanks for my morning laugh, Jasmine." She tapped the glass-like surface of the water. "Duh, like I'd make it that easy on you!" With that, she spread her hands across the waterfront, making the beads of blue regain a sand-like appearance. She waved to the peeved princess and went back to planning new mischief.

„ „ „ „

Back in Agrabah, as the dawning sun crept slowly over the dunes, the group Jasmine had been with was just arriving from their hasty journey across leagues of restless sand. Jasmine’s lady-in-waiting, Morgiana, was the first to reach the palace. She ran up the steps, two at a time, until she reached the great carved blue doors. A bit of mumbled explanation got her through the guarded portals, and she sprinted across the throne room. There, Abu and the sultan were playing chess, but stopped when they saw the woman. Reaching the gilded elephant throne, she fell, face to the floor as in prayer, at the sultan’s feet, afraid of being punished. Sultan rose, a bit confusedly, and stepped down from his throne. Kneeling down, he lifted the woman’s shaking shoulders and looked her in the face. Her pupils were huge and she was obviously very nervous.

"What is it, my dear?" Sultan asked gently. Morgiana looked up, her eyes full of tears. "No one is going to hurt you or punish you. Just tell me what is the matter."

The woman’s fearful eyes started to soften. She was about to start speaking, but a moment later, Rasoul walked through the palace doors, out of breath, head hung in shame and shoulders slumped. Immediately the sultan knew something had gone wrong.

"Where is my daughter?" Sultan questioned, his voice edgy. He was a bit anxious about what the response could be.

Morgiana took a deep breath and began spouting the best explanation she could. "The princess ... water ... sand and .." The woman made frantic gestures with her hands to represent what she was incapable of articulating.

"Slow down, Morgiana. Now, again, what happened to Jasmine? No, wait, Rasoul, you tell me. This woman has obviously been through a lot."

Rasoul looked up for the first time, his eyes showing his uneasiness. After clearing his throat, he told the story to the best of his abilities. It was hard for him to describe the part where Jasmine had found herself in danger due to the group’s negligence, and he rubbed his neck sheepishly when he told it. The middle-aged guard did not look at the sultan, though the sultan was intently watching him. Rasoul kept his gaze bent toward the floor. He showed the sultan the
odd sand, which liquefied in the Sultan’s hands and trickled to the floor with a 'plink’ before it regained its grainy form.

Sultan’s eyes grew wide with the details of the account. His facial expressions went from wonder, to amazement, to worry, astonishment and finally anger. "Rasoul, how could you let this happen?! I trusted you with my daughter’s safety! I ..." He could not finish the words, because even grown men sometimes hate to cry. His daughter meant more to him than all of his kingdom, and he was not even sure is she was yet living. Sultan flicked an impending tear and looked at the petrified guard, whose eyes were still, thankfully, on the floor.

"I will resign immediately, Sir." Rasoul managed to emit from his pursed lips.

Sultan waddled over to the guard and actually placed his hand on Rasoul’s arm gently. "No, Rasoul, that won't be necessary. I did not mean to pin the blame on you, I just needed to vent. No one could have prevented what happened." Rasoul did not say a word, but looked a little relieved. Sultan resumed speaking, "Let us see if we can find her. We cannot give up hope yet. Where did she get ... lost?" The sultan could not bring himself allude to a different fate for his lovely daughter.

"Sir, her highness had the map with her when she got ... lost. She could be anywhere. The sand storm last night probably erased all our footprints."

Sultan’s eyebrows furrowed. "If only Aladdin were here..." he mumbled to himself. But even as he spoke, he looked out to the skies. A moving object had to bring a smile to his face.

Carpet was rushing through the city at full blast, and a few minutes later the crew of Aladdin, Genie, Iago and Carpet were on the scene. Abu, ran over to Aladdin and up to his shoulders.

Aladdin looked at Rasoul, who was standing nearby. The sentry would not even look him in the eyes or make a rude comment. Aladdin would have taken it as a normal "anti-Aladdin" Rasoul behavior, but noticed Rasoul’s slouched shoulders and hung head. This alone would have tipped him off that something was wrong in Agrabah if he did not already know. A pitter-patter of elf-shoed feet on the marble floor made Our Hero shift his gaze to the sultan who was running to him.

"Where’s Jasmine?" Aladdin asked. Strange as it seemed, he 'hoped’ to hear that she had just been ill or something of the sort. But, something inside told him that was not the answer he would receive.

The sultan swallowed, not wanting to tell Aladdin such distressing news. "We don't know, my boy. We don't know where she is. Or if she is ..."

Aladdin felt his throat get tight, but put down the urge to act on it. He needed to hear more of the story to confirm his growing suspicion of where Jasmine was.

"Anyway, Aladdin. The only clue we have is this sand," Sultan narrated, picking up the brown particles and placing them in Aladdin’s hands.

Aladdin closed his eyes and remembered the flower from the night before. Wet petals ... Something inside told him she was alive, and he knew where. "I think I know where Jasmine is," he announced.

The group looked at him in wonderment, not quite believing him.

"Trust me on this one." He smiled to hide his growing doubt. Though he knew who Jasmine might be with, he was not sure he knew where to find that place. After all, it could be anywhere.

"Sultan, do you have some maps of the seven deserts I could look at?" Aladdin asked hopefully. The sultan led him down the corridors of the palace to the military planning room and pulled out dozens of leather-bound atlases and scrolled maps. Aladdin rubbed his forehead for a minute and heaved out a breath of air. "Okay, guys. Let’s get started ..."

„ „ „ „

*Back in Saleen’s domain, Jasmine was looking everywhere for a way out of the prison-like cavern. The only holes she found were only big enough to let in the fish that frequently tickled her side. After a few more minutes of scrutinizing the cold rock walls, her countenance fell. She gave up finally, letting herself slump to the soft, white-sanded bottom of the grotto. In the absence of knees, she curled her tail up toward her chest. She folded her arms around herself like she was cold, even though the water was warm, and looked around the cavern like a lost child. She felt so helpless, so little. What could she do now? If she could not find a way out, Saleen might win this time...

"I will not lose to her!" she suddenly let herself say. "There has to be a way out of this place!"

As if it on cue, a little bottle in the shadows near Jasmine began to glow. Eden slithered out, stretching and poofing her pajamas into her normal clothes. "Whoa, did we take a wrong turn or something?" Eden smiled, turning to Jasmine. Her smile faded when she saw Jasmine’s tail. Trying to make Jasmine smile, Eden turned her transparent sea green tail into a lavender fin to match Jasmine’s. "Hey, we're twins! Where do you do your shopping?" Eden joked. Jasmine half-smiled,
then went back to looking down. Eden swam near Jasmine and knelt down beside her. "Oh, Jasmine, what happened?" She asked, a look of concern on her face.

The princess told Eden what she could about Saleen and her plan. Jasmine kept biting her lip, holding back all kinds of emotion.

Eden, sensing the pain and despair, gave Jasmine a hug and reassured her the best she could. "C’mon Jas, you helped Aladdin defeat Jafar, you've fought monsters, pale-faced magicians, ornery kitties, ... you can do this. I'm here to help you, too. We'll do this together. Now, let’s go fry a fish, shall we?" Eden started swam to the surface, and hit her head on the barricade.

"Um, magic barrier!" Jasmine’s exasperated voice informed Eden, as she pointed to the ceiling of water.

"Hmm, that’s one disagreeable mermaid." Eden returned, rubbing her head. "So how are we going to get you out of here? Well, can't mix magics ... hum. Think, think..." Eden zapped herself a Roman scholar’s robes and laurel leaves behind her ears. She tapped her chin with her index finger for a minute, then a lightbulb turned on over her head. "Got it! If we can't go above, we'll go through!" She pulled out some sheets of calculus notes and a pencil, made some marks on the sheets, then zapped them back into non-existence.

"What’s that?" Jasmine asked, rising from the floor.

Eden transformed herself into Napoléon-Genie and beamed. "A perfect battle plan, mon amie! We'll go through!"

"What? Where?" Jasmine looked a bit confused till Eden handed her a magic mechanical shovel and started digging at the grotto wall. "Oh, I see," Jasmine grinned and started helping her blue friend. Magic shovels will cut through anything, you know.

After twenty minutes or so, the two had created a tunnel that opened to the outside beach. Eden floated up and entered the fresh noon-time sea air. She looked back down the tunnel at Jasmine. "We made it!" She said proudly, then reached in, picked up Jasmine and placed her on the sand next to the tunnel. To the dismay of both, Jasmine’s tail did not dissolve into a pair of human legs.

Jasmine looked down at herself, then at Eden. "I thought the spell was supposed to break when I got out of the enchanted water. I don't understand why I still have a tail."

"I guess it’s not your typical aquatic spell, Jas. I think I know what spell it is, though. There is a cure."

"What is it?" Jasmine asked, her eyes full of hope.

"Well, it’s a two-way spell. A kiss from the man you love will break the spell."

"Easy enough." Jasmine concluded with a shrug, but Eden put her hand up.

"There’s more, Jasmine. A kiss will break the spell, but a kiss can also seal the spell. If Al kisses Saleen, ... . Let’s not think about that. We need to find your boy before she does or you'll be a mermaid forever. Not that the 'fins and scales’ number doesn't look stunning on you. ." Eden winked at Jasmine, then looked serious. "Jas, you okay?"

Jasmine’s breathing was raspy and uneven. "I think being out on land is not good for me like this. I'm having trouble breathing," She admitted, placing a hand on her throat like she was choking. Her sleek tail was starting to feel rough as the sun bounced rays off it, and she was beginning to feel weak. Eden scooped up Jasmine and brought her back to the water. Reaching the moisture, Jasmine let out a relieved breath and smoothed the coarse grains of sand from her tail with her hands.

"We need to let Al know what’s up." Eden declared, worried about her little mer-friend.

"He’s in Gonthestan still, Eden. How are we going to let him know? I don't even know exactly where we are. I can't leave to find him, either. I'll die out there if this spell stays on me."

Eden paced back and forth on the ocean floor. "What would Ariel do?" she wondered out loud as she turned herself into a little red-headed mermaid. In the voice of Jody Benson, she said, "Why don't you tell my father, you're good at that!" Eden got the 'aha!’ look on her face. "Wait, that’s it, I'll tell Genie!"

"Huh?" Was Jasmine’s reply.

Eden perked up, "Sorry, babe. I was having an out-of-movie experience. You said Genie was with him, right?" Jasmine nodded. "Well, that’s easy, we'll do Genie TV!"

"Huh!?"

Eden somewhat ignored the bewildered princess for a minute and fished around for something in her bottle. She pulled out a 1950's style television (complete with round knobs to change the plethora of three different channels! Yes!) Recording a brief message with what she called a 'video camera’, Eden put the tape and tv in a giant box, licked a stamp and scribbled an address. A split second later, a blue mailman (who, oddly enough, resembled Eden ... ) picked up the box and was on his way to deliver it. "That should do it!" Eden said confidently, smiling at Jasmine. "Our rescue squad will be here shortly ... I hope."

Jasmine smiled faintly. She knew they did not have much time. Saleen had said something about sunset...
Jasmine looked up at the afternoon sun, a powerless look on her face. "Aladdin, please come soon."

„ „ „ „

Sultan, Aladdin and Genie had been looking over dusty maps for a few hours now, and it was getting a bit stressful. None of the papers got them any closer to finding Mermaid Central. They had searched all the maps in four atlases, and were now moving on to dusty scrolls. These proved equally useless, and Aladdin was about ready to bang his head on the table. (But, at the risk of messing up perfectly messy hair, he didn't.)

"Sultan, are you sure these are all the maps you have?" Aladdin asked wearily.

"I think so, my boy." he answered. "Perhaps there are some more in the other planning rooms... would those help?" The old monarch posed, trying his best to be useful.

Aladdin, trying not to sound edgy, answered the sultan with a small smile, "At this point, anything might be useful."

Sultan patted Aladdin on the back and left the room. Aladdin put his elbow on the table and cupped his face in his hand. A thought dawned on him. "Wait a minute... ." he mumbled. "Genie, where’s the map we used the last time we went to the beach?"

Genie pulled out some bloodhounds (blue hounds, not greyhounds! ) who scaled all the walls of the chamber in search of the absent scroll. A few seconds later they all gathered at Genie’s feet, tails wagging, tongues out, but no scroll. "Sorry, Al. The chaps couldn't find it. I guess it’s missing." One of the blue dogs barked. Genie picked up what it had in its mouth. "But Fido found this!" He handed Aladdin some moderately slobbery grains of sand.

After fumbling the watery sand in his hand for a minute, Aladdin’s fist hit the table in front of him. "She must have taken the scroll!" he vehemently voiced, before he slumped down into a chair. "How are we supposed to find Jasmine when she’s trapped somewhere we can't get to without a map? It could be anywhere! With that sand Saleen formed, we can't even tell where Saleen’s domain is!" His arms shot up in a gesture to illustrate his bafflement. "We need to find her! She could be ... " Aladdin did not finish the thought, both because he dreaded saying it and because he was exasperated. He was tired from the journey, weary from not eating since the night before, and hopelessly frustrated and worried because his one true Love was not going to be easy to save. That, and he was not sure how much time he had to find her.

Genie looked at Aladdin, who was now pushing his hair back the way he did when something made him upset. Thinking of some way to cheer Aladdin up, Genie felt his own stomach grumble. "Al, I'll be back in just a minute!," he perked up and disappeared into his lamp.

Aladdin looked questioningly at the lamp, from which the sound of banging pots and pans, along with the smell of baking delicacies, emitted.

Inside his rusty home, Genie, donning a chef’s cream puff hat, was making an assortment of foodstuffs to feed himself and Aladdin. "Cooking’s no fun without the Gabby Gourmet guy on!" he declared, and turned on his television to channel 5. A little mailman popped out of the screen and handed Genie a package before disappearing.

Genie looked at the package and scratched his head. All over the top was written, "Urgent! Open immediately!" Genie tore through the layers of bubble paper and retrieved the video cassette that was inside. Upon putting it in his VCR, Genie heard Eden’s 'most urgent’ voice. The video clip of Eden involved her brief story and the coordinates of her and Jasmine’s location. 'Video Eden’ blew a kiss (which landed on Genie’s cheek with a spot of lipstick) and then the tape self-destructed. "Dude, I have got to switch to de-caf!" Genie told himself, blinking at the TV with a smile. He grabbed the soufflé he was making and popped out of the lamp.

"Al! Guess what! ... .d’oh!" Genie expressed, all in one sentence.

"Bad news Genie?" Aladdin responded to Genie’s long face.

"No, my soufflé fell! And I followed the recipe perfectly! ..." Genie zapped it back into thin air and smiled. "I know where Jasmine is!"

Aladdin felt the hope rush through his entire body, filling him with a surge of energy. He started spilling out questions. "You do? Where? Is she okay? It’s Saleen, huh? ... and how do you know where she is?"

Genie beamed. "I'll take the last question first. Eden sent me an instant message on my Genie TV."

"That explains the lipstick."

Genie blushed and continued. "Eden’s with Jasmine. She didn't say much about what happened, but gave me the coordinates and told me to rush and get you to Jas. She was very verbal about the rushing thing ... "

"Why? Is Jasmine okay? What’s happened to her?"

"I don't know, Al. We just need to hurry." Genie turned himself into an airplane and Aladdin stepped aboard. After Aladdin entered the coordinates Genie gave him in the 'autopilot,’ the two set out on their course toward set number 4 from "Elemental, My Dear Jasmine, which
was masked in fake sand. (He he he!)

„ „ „ „

*On an ochre-colored rock, Saleen was relaxing after her long morning of wreaking havoc on everyone else’s lives. She waved her hand over the surface of the sandy water and smiled at the sight before her. Princess Jasmine, fins and all, was still trapped in her watery netherworld. Jasmine, swimming by an opening to the surface close to Saleen’s perch, scowled up at her fishy nemesis. Saleen just laughed and brushed her hand back over the portal, but not before sending a strong ocean current at Jasmine, sending her flying into a garden of sea anemones. After closing the scene, Saleen grinned malevolently. "It’s good being me," she asserted, looking at her dainty hands and fingernails.

The day had been easy and rewarding for Saleen. She had turned an elegant princess into a finned creature, caused a hurricane on the high seas, played chess with King Triton (and won!) and soon, she would have Agrabah’s hero as her boyfriend. Now all she had to do was wait for sunset when Jasmine’s spell would be sealed. Then she could go to Agrabah, get 'her man’ and live happily ever after, right?

I didn't think so, either. As she was tanning on the rock, (bad mermaid, she'll get fin cancer!) she saw a distant blue speck in the corner of her eye. Genie Airlines flight #3064 was fast approaching...

"So I don't have to go get him after all!" Saleen declared, smiling up at the plane. "Well, if he’s that anxious for a kiss, I'll give it to him." Turning her face toward the pseudo-sand covering her watery home, she grinned wickedly and jumped in.

Jasmine was still near the school of anemones when Saleen entered the water. Eden had turned herself into a crab, and was walking along the ground. Jasmine’s back was facing away, so the orange-tailed mermaid tapped Jasmine on the shoulder. The princess let out a startled gasp and spun around.

"Hello Jasmine, and how was your day?" Saleen was answered with a cold glare. "Glad to hear it," she continued, without encouragement from Jasmine. "Me? Oh, you're too kind to ask. Well, I played with some locals, you know, sea-going types. I ruined a sand castle ... that was fun. Kids these days just don't know the basics in architecture..." Saleen stopped when she heard voices overhead. "And for my next trick," she smiled at Jasmine.

Both mermaids looked up and saw Aladdin and Genie walking on the nearby shore. "Jasmine!" Aladdin called, looking around the artificially sandy wasteland.

"Well, that’s my cue!" Saleen alleged, winking at Jasmine. Swimming off, she taunted, "Sorry, Jasmine. I'm afraid Romeo won't be able to break the spell with a kiss. I'll get to him first."

Jasmine sprang toward Saleen, but was hit with another ocean current that swept her back. By the time Saleen was out of the water, the magic barrier was back and Jasmine was trapped again.

"don't get your fins in a bunch, Jasmine!" Saleen taunted, reaching the surface.

„ „ „ „

Up on shore, Aladdin and Genie were seeking their lost princess. Aladdin was walking on the sand with his boots off, and suddenly hit a spot of wet grains. He crouched next to the spot, picked up some of the sand, and watched it liquefy in his hands.

"Well, this is definitely the place, Genie," he expressed, letting the water run through his fingers. Putting his boots back on, he asked, "Do you think she’s down there?" He moved some of the sand and felt the magic barrier.

"I think so, Al. We need to find a way in there."

"We need to find Saleen, too," Aladdin stated, standing up.

"Oh Aladdin, I didn't know you cared. How cute," a siren voice came from a nearby group of rocks. The voice sent Aladdin’s stomach twisting in knots. He turned to find what he dreaded; Saleen posing calmly on a nearby rock.

Aladdin rubbed his head in confusion, wondering how she got there without them knowing ...

"You rang?" she asked innocently.

Genie, in crayfish form, scuttled behind a group of rocks close by. Aladdin followed him. They conversed for a minute, then Aladdin stepped out and faced Saleen.

"Where’s Jasmine?" he asked, teeth clenched.

Saleen got a flirtatious, smug grin on her face. "Hmm? Jasmine, ... . haven't seen her. Saw someone ... well, some thing that looked like her, but not your Jasmine. But that’s okay if you want to use that excuse to come and see me."

Aladdin stood firm, determination flashing in his eyes. "Cut the show, Saleen. Where is she?"

Saleen chuckled and rose from her perch. She walked over to Aladdin, got 'doublemint close’ and placed a finger on the tip of his nose. "Oh, you want to see her? Why didn't you just ask? Silly humans ..."

Aladdin got the chills just having her so near to him, but did not want to make her angry by jerking abruptly away. He knew if Saleen got too upset, Jasmine would be in a lot more danger. "Please, show me Jasmine," he mumbled, not wanting to sound submissive, but knowing he probably did.

"Certainly."
Saleen picked up a handful of the sand and let it change forms. She blew a magic breath across the beads of water and an image appeared. Aladdin looked down into Saleen’s cupped hands and saw his worst nightmare. Jasmine was there, safe and sound, but it was not the Jasmine he knew. He gasped and looked, horrified, at Saleen.

"you're sick, Saleen."

"No, I'm feeling fine." She put her hand on her forehead. "Oh, wait, here comes some sea sickness." She purposely faked passing out. Aladdin, by instinct or reflex, caught her before she hit the sand. Now in his arms, she smiled and threw her arms around his neck.

Aladdin’s face was anything but amused. He pulled her arms off from around his neck and, through gritted teeth, demanded, "Change her back, now!"

"That’s your job, 'Al.’ You want to cure your princess, all you have to do is kiss me." She smiled sweetly, sending more chills up the tanned hero’s back.

After some serious consideration, Aladdin sighed. "Fair enough, Saleen. I'll do it."

Saleen beamed in victory. "So, you don't love your Jasmine this way? can't live with her not being the same species?" Aladdin nodded, head hung in shame. "Fine with me!" she concluded, and puckered up.

"Over here is better," he said, leading her toward the sandy area he had been digging in a few minutes earlier. "The view is so much nicer."

Saleen gave herself a mental thumbs up. 'Definitely a keeper,’ she mused inside.

Aladdin took her face in his hands and moved his face closer. Their lips met and a thunderbolt hit a nearby rock.

Saleen moved away from the kiss, smiling. 'That should seal the spell’ she fancied. She was not so pleased when she opened her eyes to look at Aladdin. Before her stood a blue genie, who was spitting at the dirt.

"Nasty! Shrimp flavored kisses!" Genie attested.

"What! This can't be!" Saleen shrieked, her rage growing rapidly. She would have spouted some naughty, un-ladylike word, but something hit her from behind and knocked her to the sand.

Eden beamed and dropped the hammerhead shark she had snagged to 'whale’ on Saleen. "Keep your lips off my boy!" she warned as Saleen rubbed her head. "Hey blue boy!" she greeted Genie, floating over to his big blue arms. (Well, one arm, at least. The other was busy wildly brushing his teeth and applying mouthwash.)

"Thanks for the thunderbolt." Genie said.

"No prob, Blue."

"That’s my girl!" Genie declared, giving her a smooch. Mmm, minty fresh!

"Eww! Fishy aftertaste!" Eden teased, then the two disappeared into thin air.

Saleen got up from the ground, fish clenched. "How did she get here?" she wondered. "Where’s the real Aladdin?" She began searching the area, and even dissolved the cloaking sand and magic barrier on the enchanted waters to find him. "He cannot have gone far! There’s no way he’s found her!"

„ „ „ „

It is a truth universally recognized, that when a villain says something is impossible, it is always possible. Aladdin was, in fact, very close to finding his sweet Jasmine. Eden had heard the voices overhead and flew up through the tunnel she and Jasmine had dug earlier. She had found Aladdin crouching behind the rock, and told him where to go to find Jasmine.

Aladdin crawled down the muddy tunnel, then entered the magic waters. The first thing to hit his eyes, after a school of angel fish swam by, was his True Love. Jasmine was as shocked to see him as he to see her. She hovered in front of him for a second, feeling about an inch tall as she watched his mouth drop. Maw gaping, Aladdin perused the sight before him. His precious Jasmine ... . what had happened to her?

His eyes met hers. He could tell her eyes were starting to form tears, even under the water. His statement changed from shock to sympathy. He had not meant to make her feel bad. If he could have talked underwater, he would have tried to console her. He would have told her he loved her, no matter what form she was in. The best he could do at the moment, though, was gather her in his arms and hold her to his chest. Jasmine buried her head in his encircling arms, hoping she would not have to let him go. Aladdin, however, needed oxygen and had to release her soon. He tapped his throat and pointed at the surface through the tunnel. Putting up his index finger to say "be right back," he swam away.

Jasmine pointed to her lips, then yelled, "Aladdin! Wait! The spell! . ." her voice trailed off when she realized he was out of earshot. "Kiss me already!" she grumbled, but smiled. As much as she loved the man... . sometimes he just did not get it!

Aladdin returned a minute later and smiled this time. He swam down to Jasmine and took her in his arms, leaning in for a fish-to-human kiss.

"That won't be necessary, kids. I've already had a gag experience today." Saleen interposed, pushing the near lip lock apart. Saleen shot a magic burst at Jasmine, but Jasmine was not about to give up this time. Like a bird in a hurricane, she fought against
it and managed to get out of its pull.

"All right, Saleen. You want to play?" Jasmine threatened. "I'm game."

Even Mozenrath would have had to sit back with a bowl of popcorn and laugh at the massive cat (well, catfish) fight that ensued...

"All right, Princess, this should be a fun workout!" Saleen equaled Jasmine’s glare as the two circled around facing each other. All at once Saleen darted toward Jasmine. Jasmine dodged Saleen’s tail and smacked her with her own. A jumble of nails, loose hair and 'yo mamma’ comments followed.

"C’mon Two Legs!"

"Quiet, No Legs!"

"Make me!"

"Watch me!"

"Oh, did her Supreme Highness break a nail?"

"What did you call me?"

"You heard me."

"That’s what I thought."

Jasmine uprooted a chunk of mossy seaweed and shied it at her finned foe. The slimy plant hit Saleen in the face and made her spit out chunks of green goo. Saleen’s peev-o-meter was far beyond its top level, as the look on her face told.

"Cute one, Jasmine." In a sudden burst of energy, Saleen took Jasmine by the wrists and, with the aid of a magical whirlwind, blasted her out of the enchanted waters. Jasmine helplessly spiraled up through the waters and landed on the gritty shore, creating a puffy sand cloud around where she landed. She groaned and grabbed her rib cage before resting her head in the sand. Her eyes closed, slowly.

"So high maintenance, Al. don't know why you keep her around." Saleen jabbed, looking toward her Arabian crush.

Unfortunately, in her efforts to send Jasmine to the moon, Saleen had ignored Aladdin, giving him time to 'turn tail’ and get away. (Ha, I'm punny!) He was currently scrambling upward in the water, and broke the surface within a few seconds, gasping for precious air. He looked toward the shore, to where Jasmine lay. Genie and Eden were already on the scene, trying to wake Jasmine. She looked completely limp, and when Genie tried to put water to her lips, it just rolled off to the sand. Aladdin bit his lip. This was not something he wanted to be seeing. He started to swim to the shore, hoping for the best.

Saleen, as impaired as her people skills might be, was far from stupid. She knew exactly where Aladdin was heading, and knew she still had a good chance of winning. With a display of awesome aqua power, she shot herself upward through the water. Reaching the surface, she made the water around her form a high throne. Got to admit, the girl had style. She looked down at Aladdin, who had stopped swimming to check out what was going on behind him.

"Now, Aladdin, where were we? I do believe you owe me a kiss." She made a scooping motion with her hand and the water around Aladdin formed an arm that pushed him near to Saleen. The arm brought him closer, till he was only a few feet from her throne, then a few inches from her royal Fishiness. Battling the water did not help, the force was too strong. Aladdin found himself with his face right next to Saleen’s. She puckered up and then her lips hit ... the arm of water that had been holding Aladdin.

"What?!" she stormed, baffled that this could possibly happen again. She turned to see Aladdin rushing off on a Geniha brand jet ski. "Humans never play fair!" she restated, smacking the water with her arm. She sent bursts of glittering magic toward the escaping Genie and human, making sweeping tidal waves all around her. Eden patted an unconscious Jasmine’s hand, and went to help the boys. This was serious business!

A few minutes later, Jasmine cracked open her eyes. Thankfully, her acting had worked. The action was going on all around her, but nobody seemed to notice her consciousness... except Eden.

Eden was going to say something, but saw the "Shh!," on Jasmine’s mouth. Eden winked and sent an inconspicuous bolt of magic at Jasmine, which subsequently formed into a pair of magic bolas. Jasmine crept over to the cover of a jutting rock, careful not to make a sound. She covered her tracks in the sand, hoping to go undetected. It was hard to breathe, but she knew she had to do this or it would all be over and she would lose Aladdin forever.

In the course of composing tsunami symphonies, Saleen managed to snatch Aladdin. She did not say anything satisfyingly maniacal, just stared at him and let a smirk cover her face.

In his most heroic voice, Aladdin had to say, "You'll never get away with this Saleen, you can't win. Jasmine is too strong and too determined."

Saleen laughed dynamically. "Oh Aladdin, didn't you see it? Your precious Jasmine is . ." She looked toward the beach to illustrate her point, but was disappointed in her visual aid. "What?!" She screamed. "Where is she?!" She started blasting rocks and waves, sending crashing tsunamis everywhere. "Where is she?!"

"Right here, Saleen!" Jasmine sat on a low platform that projected from the nearby rock face, bolas in hand. She whirled the first bola over her head and cast it at Saleen. It hit the mark with excellent precision. Saleen’s
arms were stuck at her side, and her tsunamis stopped. Her throne dissolved itself until it was back to sea level. Aladdin dropped from the gripping water hand and smacked the water (ouch!) with full force.

Jasmine’s next shot was not so fortunate, as it was thrown off by Armand. (Apparently, he was on a lunch break the last few scenes.) He grabbed Jasmine with a slimy tentacle, pulling her off the rock and back into the water. She was almost relieved to be back in H²O, where she could breathe normally and let her tail regain its elasticity. However, this was not peaches and cream, and Armand immediately wrapped his big suction-cup lined arms around Jasmine like a boa constrictor.

Saleen cackled mightily at the spectacle and started to fight against the bolas. She got one loop undone with the free part of her hands, but was stopped short of completely freeing herself. Aladdin came up from behind and held her with his arms, trying his best to stay afloat with the struggling mermaid.

"Oh Aladdin, do you always get so close on the second date?" In an attempt to free herself from Aladdin’s constraint, she dove down, her powerful tail beating at Aladdin’s frame. The tough tail smacked him several times and stung his skin. He winced, but kept his hold on her. Unfortunately for Saleen, Aladdin would not let go despite her great efforts. She did not want to suffocate her prize in the game she was playing, and reluctantly resurfaced. There she found Aladdin was not the only one fighting against her. Two genies in full blown ninja costumes poised on the surface of the water, sais and numchucks at the ready. That did not help her confidence much, but she knew how to deal with it. With a simple look at the water, she commanded a wave into a full-speed, twisting burst of aquamarine. It hit Genie in the stomach, sending him far beyond the horizon. She assumed that Eden had been taken care of, because she was nowhere near.

It was down to Aladdin, Jasmine, Saleen and Armand. Aladdin’s grip on Saleen was tight and relentless, with his left bicep close to her neck, threatening, and his other arm wrapped around the front of her. This kept her ability to fight back to a minimum. She might have been magical, but even elementals can have their powers restricted. Her tail twitched in annoyance.

"I am not going to lose this," she hissed. Saleen looked at Armand and winked. Armand, though probably the dumbest octopus in the ocean, got her hint. He lifted Jasmine out of the water and tightened his grip on her, causing her to gasp for air.

Aladdin, appalled at seeing Jasmine suffering, tightened his hold on Saleen’s neck.

"I wouldn't do that, Aladdin. Or do you like your princess fitting into a size 2? Let me go or she gets it!" Saleen’s voice rang true that she mean business.

Aladdin’s eyes went wide, then his eyebrows furrowed. Letting her go would let Jasmine free, but Saleen would still be able to catch him, and possibly force him to stay with her. She could also trap Jasmine underwater forever, and he might never see her again. "Let her go, Saleen," he resolved, deep anger in his voice.

"Fine, pretty boy, let me go."

Aladdin looked up at Jasmine as Armand constricted harder. Jasmine’s eyes went wide, in obvious fear and pain. His stomach fixed in a knot when he saw the fear in her eyes, hard as she was trying not to show it.

"Aladdin, don't, it’s a tr-," Jasmine was cut short by Armand placing a slimy tentacle over her mouth, suction cup and all.

Aladdin’s grip on Saleen got tighter. In a last attempt to free Jasmine, he demanded her immediate release. Apparently, it worked. Armand suddenly dropped Jasmine. In fact, he dropped her and flew several feet in the air, his 'posterior’ smoking.

"Look what I found!" Eden announced, surfacing with a hot trident in her hand. She pulled off her scuba mask and sniffed the air. "Mmm, fried squid! Anyone hungry?" She shoveled the traumatized octo-sidekick into a giant fish bowl (complete with realistic fake plants) and put a lid on it. Pointing to the glowing trident, she chastised Saleen. "You really shouldn't leave these things lying around the house... er, aquarium. Someone might get hurt." She threw the pointy object into the ocean, where it was caught by a sea witch... he he he.

Aladdin, in shock of the events, had let his guard down. Without him realizing, Saleen had been able to weasel her way out of the other loop of the bolas. In a quick movement, she elbowed him harshly and broke free of his restraint. She turned and lunged at Aladdin with the intention of completing the spell with a 'wet’ kiss.

Aladdin saw her and dove underwater to escape such lip action. Saleen quickly pursued, and was almost at his heels when she felt a tap - well, more of a jerk, on her shoulder. She only turned slightly, determined not to be tricked. She looked to her right but was abruptly smacked from the left. Spinning around, full throttle, she found a very, very upset
Princess Jasmine. She was about to make a rude, typical villain-like comment, but Jasmine smacked her in the face with her heavy tail. Saleen’s eyes went wide, then squinted with annoyance, pain and pure anger. Before she could protest, Jasmine got a second shot in, knocking Saleen away from Aladdin.

Jasmine used the few seconds to rush to Aladdin. He caught her firmly in his open arms. She put her hands on his face and their lips locked (yes, a few sparks flew). Jasmine had a queasy feeling in her stomach as her tail split in two, but the wet texture of her clothing against her newly -recovered legs was a wonderful sensation.

Aladdin grabbed her hand, smiled, and they darted to the surface while Saleen recovered. They gasped fresh air, looked to find one another safe for the moment, and frantically headed for shore. Jasmine was a bit out of breath from the energy taken to change her form, and the constriction on her lungs from a few minutes previous. She started lagging behind Aladdin, struggling for breath. Her rib cage had already started to bruise, making it very hard to move. Despite all her struggling, she started sinking back into the clear water.

Aladdin looked over his shoulder to check on Jasmine, only to find her plunging unconsciously into the water. He was a bit ahead of her, so it took him a minute to reach her. He caught her a few feet under the surface, put his arms around her waist and headed back for the surface. Aladdin and the unconscious princess strove for the shore again. A few minutes of wrestling the waves rewarded them with making it there safely. Aladdin laid Jasmine on the sand, fear in his eyes. She was not even breathing. Remembering his past year of 'genie first aid training’ he tried mouth-to-mouth. Jasmine responded and couched up a lot of sea water, but her eyes did not open. Her breathing was not normal now, characterized by rapid, weak intakes of air.

Genie reappeared near the horizon and poofed himself to Eden’s side, who was sprinkling some fish flakes in Armand’s bowl. They were happily reunited for a moment, but heard a great crashing wave behind them. Saleen was rising again from the swell, not quite tired of her game. She pushed the genies aside before they could protest and headed toward Aladdin.

Jasmine was Aladdin’s main concern of the moment, so he completely ignored what was behind him. Saleen was standing there, arms folded. Her shadow crossed over Jasmine’s body and Aladdin looked up, slowly. He turned to see Saleen tapping her foot in annoyance.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Eden grinned at Genie.

"I think so," Genie answered, "but how are you going to get the hippo to wear the tutu?"

Eden smiled. "Close ... I think we should ..." she whispered her idea into Genie’s ear and made him giggle.

"Great idea!"

The two blue sidekicks rushed to Aladdin’s side just as Saleen was letting a magic surge build up in her arm. "don't mind us, Al," Genie winked and scooped Saleen up in a giant fish net.

She struggled like mad and sent a ton of watery bubbles at him, but could not manage to get free. Genie put the elemental in a large crate. (yes, there were air holes. You think I want to get sued?)

He wrapped the box in shiny paper and placed a bow on top. "Be right back!" Genie turned himself into a mamluck and disappeared with the crate. A few minutes later he arrived in the Land of the Black Sand. He knocked on Mozenrath’s citadel door and disappeared, leaving the crate there. Mozenrath stepped out, looking suspiciously around him. He smiled when he saw the present and read the tag. "To Mozenrath."

"Aw, someone remembered my birthday!" Mozey expressed, looking happy for once. He ripped through the layers of gift wrap. "I bet there are a ton of things I could do with a crate!"

„ „ „ „

Back at set number 16 from the TV series, Eden and Aladdin were by Jasmine’s side, trying to wake her. Genie appeared and tried to help out. Aladdin put out his hands to tell them he needed some room, as they were hovering too close and making him claustrophobic. Eden and Genie backed off, giving him the space he needed.

Aladdin placed a hand on the side of Jasmine’s face, caressing her cheek. "Jasmine, can you hear me? Say something, please." She was silent and Aladdin closed his eyes, angry that this had to happen to her.

The tide was getting higher, washing over Aladdin’s booted feet and re-soaking his clothes as well as Jasmine’s.

"A tail, why is it always a tail! You think these villainesses would get a clue and learn to consult each other before ... , " a little voice uttered.

Aladdin’s eyes opened and he smiled down at Jasmine, who had slightly opened her eyes and was trying to smile. "Jas! you're okay!" Aladdin bent down and wrapped his arms around her, but she gasped. Realizing she was sore from the fight, he gently let her lie back down on the sand. He picked up her hand and rubbed it with his own. "Best date ever, right Jas?"
he grinned.

"Yeah, sure," Jasmine smiled back and splashed him with some water from the creeping tide. "Where’s Saleen?" she rasped.

Genie had to beam. "Let’s just say Mozenrath finally has a date on a Friday night. Though I think she’s more Xerxes type ..."

Jasmine laughed lightly. "Let’s go home."

Putting an arm under Jasmine’s knees and the other behind her back, Aladdin picked her up as gently as possible in his firm, protective arms. She winced from her sore muscles, but smiled at Aladdin and let her head rest against his face. Jasmine took her hand and ran it along his jaw line, brushing off the sand that still clung to his skin. She smiled as her hand ran across the stubble beginnings of a beard on his face.

"Sorry Jas, didn't really have time to shave the last day or so," Aladdin smiled as she felt his face. "Been kind of busy, you know."

Jasmine turned and just kissed his cheek.

Genie turned himself into a bullet train and Aladdin, Eden and Jasmine boarded. Jasmine sat in Aladdin’s lap, her arms still clinging protectively around his neck. Aladdin did not mind a bit, he just held her against his chest and gently rubbed her back. Jasmine’s eye lids got heavier and heavier, until she let her face lean against Aladdin’s again in sweet slumber. He let out a contented "hmm" and felt his own eyes starting to close.

Eden smiled at the two as she watched them fall asleep in each other’s arms. She placed a soft blanket over them.

"Blue, you were so brave!" she whispered to Genie-locomotive. Genie twinkled himself into the coach and sat next to Eden.

"That’s just 'cause I was showing off for my gal," he admitted, placing his arm around Eden.

"If you're here, who’s driving the train?"

"I am."

"Oh."

„ „ „ „

The journey back to Agrabah was peaceful, with not much talk. After all, everyone was asleep. The train slowly chugged to a stop just outside the city gates. Its passengers awoke reluctantly and got off the train. Moonlight was kissing the domes of the palace. Jasmine smiled at her home, never feeling happier to see it. Genie made a moving sidewalk to the palace, which the four used to reach Jasmine’s home faster.

Rasoul was on post at the gate, but was too shocked to say anything ornery to Aladdin. The four passed by him easily and entered the massive blue doors to the throne room. Sultan was asleep on his throne. He had been waiting in there all day, hoping for some promising news about his daughter. The footsteps on the polished floor and creak of the doors woke him. He gazed into the dim room, wondering what news he would hear. In the light of the moon from the colonnaded chamber, his eyes met a sight that made him jump off his throne for joy. In Aladdin’s arms, though she looked a bit tattered, was his priceless daughter, sleeping peacefully. Sultan ran over to her and kissed her on the forehead.

"Thank you, Aladdin. I knew you wouldn't let me down," he expressed, patting Aladdin’s cheek.

Aladdin smiled tiredly and nodded to the sultan.

"You can tell me the story in the morning," Sultan said with twinkling, but worn-out eyes. "I do believe we should all go to bed now."

Sultan let Aladdin take Jasmine to her room. He carefully placed her on her divan-type bed and tucked her in with an embroidered blanket. After he touched her soft face with his fingertips, he gave her a gentle kiss. He set Eden’s bottle on the table near her bed, just in case.

Aladdin left Jasmine’s chamber quietly, taking pains not to let the heavy door squeak too loudly. He silently made his way to the room he was always welcomed to use near the menagerie. After he kicked off the still-wet leather boots, he went straight to the massive bed and laid down. He fell asleep nearly the second his head his the soft pillows.

„ „ „ „

Both Jasmine and Aladdin slept till nearly noon, worn out in mind and body from the fight. Aladdin woke first, groaning from the bruises and pulled muscles that a nighttime of rest had not cured. He managed to get up, bathe, dress and shave in the frame of an hour. Everyone in the palace was already busy at their daily tasks, and simply nodded at him as he entered the hall way. Lunch was cooking and Aladdin could smell it wafting through the corridors. He whistled for carpet and went up to Jasmine’s balcony.

In her room, Jasmine was trying to pull her hair back, even though stretching any muscles hurt quite a bit. She was going to put in the last ribbon when she felt someone’s hand covering hers.

"Let me," Aladdin said, tenderly taking the ribbon from her hand. He wove it in her hair and placed the flower he had in his hand in her hair as well. Jasmine smiled, eyes twinkling.

Aladdin put out his hand, "Join me for lunch, would you, Princess?"

"Certainly."

He lifted her to carpet and they flew through the halls of the palace, getting smiles from servants as they passed by.

The sultan was waiting at the lunch table, ready to hear the tale of Jasmine’s
rescue. Genie articulated for him, using all the proper sound effects and hand actions. As Genie embellished the story, Aladdin and Jasmine looked at each other with "did it really happen that way?" faces.

"So help me, if I ever see another fish again ...," Jasmine muttered playfully and seriously at the same time.

"Aw Jas, you looked cute as a mermaid!" Genie protested, winking when Jasmine shot him an "I don't think so" stare.

Jasmine was beginning to quite enjoy the group’s conversation when a few servants walked in to serve lunch. One placed a steaming plate of fresh sea bass in front of Jasmine. She looked at the plate for a long time before looking at the other members of the lunch party. Genie and Eden were laughing hysterically, and Sultan was trying to keep a straight face. She looked at Aladdin, her moral support, and the two of them suddenly burst out laughing.

"I'm not hungry just now," Jasmine claimed, pushing her plate away.

"What we need is a good old-fashioned barbecue!," Eden piped up, smiling at Jasmine. She formed a high-tech-looking barbecue and started flipping steaks. "Anyone for a T-bone?" Genie turned himself into a dog and caught it in his mouth, tail wagging. Eden kept making food. "Jas, this piece of chicken has your name on it! ..."

"That’s okay guys, I think I can make her lunch," Aladdin grinned. "Where’s the kitchen again? ..."

Jasmine rolled her eyes in affection and stood. "How about we make lunch together?" she suggested, taking Aladdin’s hand and leading him to the kitchen before he could protest. Not that he would, anyway.

The two left and lunch continued as usual. After the barbecue and beach party, Eden and Genie had a battle of wits, Sultan broke a toy, and Rajah tried to eat Iago. Another day in Agrabah was starting... Just a normal day in Agrabah... .

~ * ~ The End ~ * ~

*All characters that are Disney's belong to *guess* Disney. We all know that ... I paid all of Mozenrath's psychologist's bills (believe you me, there were a lot . . ) Evidently, Saleen really did prefer Xerxes. Who knew? Anyway, no animals were seriously injured in the production of this fan fic, with the exception of a desert llama, but who could predict that? Reviews are welcome (and required, silly! =D) to queenbrittany80@hotmail.com.

Thanks!