Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Secrets of the Heart by Merkal
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Secrets of the Heart




By Marco Merkelijn

She is one girl, there is no one like her.
She is more beautiful than any other.
Look, she is like a star goddess arising
at the beginning of a happy new year;
brilliantly white, bright skinned;
with beautiful eyes for looking,
with sweet lips for speaking;
she has not one phrase too many.
With a long neck and white breast,
her hair of genuine lapis lazuli;
her arm more brilliant than gold;
her fingers like lotus flowers,
with heavy buttocks and girt waist.
Her thighs offer her beauty,
with a brisk step she treads on ground.
She has captured my heart in her embrace.
She makes all men turn their necks
to look at her.
One looks at her passing by,
this one, the unique one.


Old poem from ancient Egypt

I was doing my daily routine on the market of Agrabah. Selling my goods, talking with the people who walked by and keeping an eye out for thieves.
"Merkal! Merkal!" Someone was calling my name; I looked up to where it came from. Fazaal, my cousin, came running to me. "Cousin I have bad news for you. Zuban, the one who napped Rafeek when we're kids, is free. He escaped 2 days ago from the palace dungeons."
"What!" I exclaimed. This is bad news; the man was very dangerous then. I didn't want to think what he could do now he most likely wants his revenge.
"Merkal your mother said that you most be-careful for the next days. Keep your eyes open" Fazaal told me.
"I will."
We talked some more then Fazaal left to visit Crystal. I picked up where I left of with my work and yelled "Potts, pans and everything else!"
Before I knew it I saw other merchants packing up. I looked at the time, the sun just had set and it was getting dark. I packed up Rafeek and walked home. After putting Rafeek away I ate some then decided to go to Yesenia and Crystal's home. I didn't feel like spending the evening alone knowing that Zuban was on the streets again. Yesenia welcomed me with a hug, "I heard from Fazaal that he's free again. Are you okay Merkal?" I could hear fear in her voice. "I'm fine don't worry" I told her returning her hug. I greeted Crystal in their living room. "Merkal Fazaal asked me to tell you he's with Aabad just in case he takes revenge on her." Crystal told me handing over a glass. Taking the glass I said to her, "Thanks for letting me know." I feared for my mother's life and for Fazaal's. I spend the rest of day with my friends till late in the evening we talked about several subjects. When I was about to leave Yesenia grabbed my arm. "You be careful Merkal. Please do it for me?" This time I could see it in her eyes. I gave her a smile. "I promise to be careful." I took her hand and squeezed it gently releases it and stepped outside. It's a dark night, only the moon lightens my path back to my house. After a few seconds I turn around to see if nobody was following me. The streets where empty; the only person I could see was Yesenia standing in the door step surrounded by a sea of light. I waved at her she waved back. Tough I'm already several feet from the house I still saw how the moonlight reflected in her eyes. It was an enchanting sight; for a minute it made my heart beat a little faster. "She is beautiful," I was saying to myself breaking the contact I walked ahead to my house.

After 10 minutes or so I got home. I checked on Rafeek making sure he had enough food and water for the night I told him what I heard today. "Rafeek, pal I'm afraid I've not so good news. Our old enemy Zuban is back and might want to get revenge on us. That's why I'm locking your stable tonight." I tell my old friend and pet. Rafeek seemed to understand it because he licked me in the face. After saying goodnight I go inside. Changes into my nightclothes and get into bed.
Soon I forget about the possible danger, I lay down. Yesenia's eyes were the last image on my mind before I fall asleep.

I woke up by the sounds on the street. I hadn't opened my eyes yet so I didn't know what time it was. I listened for a few minutes. Outside I could hear people talking and screaming, wagons passing by pulled by horses, children laughing. It took me a few seconds to adjust my eyes to the light. I rubbed them then sat up straight in my bed. I looked around; the room was exactly the same as the night before. I climbed out of bed, dressed and washed myself. Then ate breakfast when I was finished I sat there for a while thinking back at how Fazaal told me about Zuban and how worried Yesenia seemed. I shrugged and prepared Rafeek for today's workday.
"Rafeek I get a good feeling I'm going to sell allot today." I was telling my pet on our way to the market. I met up with some other merchants while talking we soon get at the market. Everyone got to his or her own spot on the wide market. My feeling was correct in the morning I sold almost all my herb pottery.

It was getting near lunchtime, I was standing with my face to the west when suddenly I felt two arms around my neck I grabbed them ready to break them and throw my attacker on the ground. Before I made any further move I looked at the arms. I let my guard down I knew those arms. I took the hands in min, turned around and spoke. "You scared me."
"That was the idea." The young woman said. "I was testing you, it just could have been Zuban."
"Yesenia you worry to much about me. No thief can get to me that easy." She smiled at me, "I know I'm just worried about my best friend." She looked at the stall. "So I see you have a good day, almost all herb pottery is sold." I nodded. I liked that some one cared so much about me. She was the only one, next to my mother, that was so concerned about me.

"Uh excuse me, may I have on of those?" I turned to the man at the front of my stall. He was wearing a hood so I couldn't see his face. I didn't see any sign of danger in it. "Off course sir, Yesenia can you hand me that pot it's just beyond my reach." I asked her. She reached for the pot. Her arm came close to the customer. Suddenly he grabbed her arm pulled her over the stall. She tried to pull herself free but fell on the ground on the other side of the stall breaking all kinds of things. Before I got react the man dropped the hood and touched Yesenia's arm with something he was wearing. "Now I have my revenge!" he hollered. My eyes widen when I recognized the face of Zuban. With his other arm he pulled out a dagger and stabbed me, he missed but I tripped and hit my head everything went dark.

"Merkal, wake up Merkal!" I heard a voice in the distance. I opened my eyes slowly a blurb turned into Fazaal. I reached for my head.
"What happened?"
"You tell me cousin, other merchants saw you laying on the ground here. They saw a figure running away with a girl hanging over his shoulder."
It all came back to me, the customer, the ring, the hand, the damage, and the flash.
"Zuban has Yesenia!" I called out. The pain in my head was disappeared the moment I realized she was in danger.
"Yesenia? Was she here with you when it happened?" Fazaal asked confused. I didn't say anything put looked around the demolished stall for any clue to where they can be. Between the broken merchandise I saw some paper. I picked it up and read it.

Merkal,

I have your girlfriend. You can come and get her on the east wall near the East Square. You can take her place as slave if you hurry up.

Your old enemy.

"I'm going to get her and take care of Zuban once and for all." I said. Mixed feelings of hate, panic and something else fired trough me.
"Let me go with you." Fazaal said to me. I shook my head. "This is something I have to do on my own. It's my fault that my best friend in the world is in danger." Fazaal signed "Well I won't try to talk you out of it." I saw that Fazaal was thinking. "If you have a plan to get her out of his hands feel free to share that with me." I said mockingly. "No that's not I was thinking of. I tried to understand why he called Yesenia your girlfriend." Fazaal told me. "I don't know, maybe the bad guys think it's fun to mock our friendship.
Mozenrath called me Yesenia's boyfriend a week or 5 ago. You know when she was captured by him to get her magic."
"Yes I remember that very well. I'm glad you two got out of they're in one piece."
I looked at the mess, "Fazaal will you do me a favor and clean up the stall. I'm going home to prepare to face Zuban."
"That's good Merkal but be careful."
"Don't worry when I free Yesenia she'll use her magic to make sure we get out of there without being hurt " I said goodbye and headed home.

"This time he has gone to far. It was awful that he treated to slaughter Rafeek and hurt 2 little boys. But now that he has captured the person that is so very important to me. No wait I have to correct myself, Yesenia is the most important person in my life. I can't imagine how my life would have turned if I never met her and Crystal." I caught myself talking in myself. "Oh well its not that bad." I changed clothes to easier and better protecting ones. Dressed in a shirt with long sleeves and high collar. On my hands I shove thick cloves, something I never wear but for this situation it seemed smart to do. Over my long-sleeve shirt I put a vest with short sleeves. I closed it to protect my body if Zuban might strike against me. Looking in the mirror at his clothing my eyes go down to my pants with long legs. I was sure Zuban wouldn't let it with only enslaving me. "Maybe he wants me dead?" I asked myself.
"Whatever will happen their Yesenia will not be hurt by that man." I looked in the mirror one last time then grabbed my sword and left the building.

Soon I saw the east wall coming into sight. I entered the square. It was late in the afternoon the sun had reached it highest point minutes ago. Lucky for me it was winter in the city, I could manage the temperature. Still I was sweating. I needed to be sure that my old enemy didn't hurt Yesenia. I knew her; she already did attempts to escape. She might even fight and defeated Zuban herself. I put the thoughts aside and looked around the square.
"Zuban I am here. Show yourself!" I hollered looking around with my right hand on my sword.
"So the boy did show up. I am surprised." I heard a voice echoing trough the square. "Drop your sword!"
"First give me Yesenia!" I didn't like the demanding sound in his voice.
"As you want." A figure appeared on the top of the high east wall, I knew it was Yesenia. She walked away from a guard tower on top of the wall. I did a few steps closer to see if she was hurt or not. She was to far away to say for sure. Her mouth was covered and she was tight up with rope. I wondered why she didn't escape; it was easy for her to break the ropes.
"Your sword!" the voice of Zuban was clearer now. I saw him coming out a door below the wall tower. I had no choice then to do what he demanded. I pulled my sword and threw it on the ground.
"Come closer with your hands where I can see them!" Zuban said. I slowly started walking to the fat man. I knew I underestimated him, he wasn't good in hand-to-hand combat. Fazaal and I easily could defeat him years ago but he was very clever. I kept the whole time one eye on Yesenia still standing on the wall, she didn't move. Made no attempt to escape.
"Stop!" I stopped. Zuban came closer to me. "Well, well you have grown a lot since the last time I seen you boy. How's Rafeek?" He asked me mocking. I frowned, "I am here now let Yesenia go."
"Very well." Zuban made a gesture with his hands. I saw a man coming out of the tower I didn't know him. He removed Yesenia's ropes. "Now Yesenia! Transport!" I called to her. She just stood there; I pushed Zuban aside and ran toward the door. I looked up at Yesenia; finally I was close enough to make eye contact even when she was 6 feet above me. The look in her eyes scared me, they where desperate, crying for help. I couldn't understand why she didn't blast the guy away and ran for it.
I was grabbed by my arms by two men who had came out of the door, they where stronger then me and forced me on my knees. I screamed out of pain it felt like he was breaking my arms.

"Bring him inside!" Zuban told the men who dragged me inside. I struggled to get free it only gave me more pain. They walked down a stairs; I felt my back hurting while I was being dragged down. I was thrown hard against a wall. I closed my eyes hoping it would ease the pain.
"You two enjoy your stay here." A voice said. I guessed it was from one of the man. I didn't see him because I still had my eyes closed. Fortunately the pain stopped in a couple of minutes. I hoped my eyes and looked where I was. It looked like a basement or something, I couldn't really tell because it was more then half dark in the space. The only light came trough the cracks and holes in the ceiling.
"Merkal are you okay?" It was definitely Yesenia's voice coming from my right. I looked but couldn't see her.
"Yesenia?" I asked.
"Yes it's me. Are you hurt?"
"I can manage, where are you? Are you all right?" I fired the questions into the dark. The moments of silence worried me. I opened my mouth to say something when her voice said.
"I am on your right. I am sitting the far right-corner." I half-closed my eyes trying to see something in the dark. I saw a figure moving. I crawled on my hands and knees to her; it was easy to crawl since the pain in my arms was gone now. Soon I felt one of her legs I followed it up till I came to her hand laying on her knee. I crawled next to her and sat with my back against the wall. I still couldn't see her in detail I took her hand in mine and repeated my question. "Yesenia are you all right?"
"Zuban stole my magic powers." She said, I could her the sadness in her voice. "What? How? Why?" I asked her shocked.
"He used an enchanted ring, it didn't really hurt me as with Mozenrath's crystal. I feel so, so weak without it." Her voice skipped. I could hear the anger in her voice.
I heard heavy footsteps above us; I looked up to the ceiling. I saw how it was bending and cracking. I heard how someone puts a chair down. It made the ceiling bend even more making a large crack in it. A beam of light shine trough it right on our face. I looked back at Yesenia, now I could see her face. It had a sad expression; Yesenia almost seemed to cry. I could only imagine how it would feel to lose something that was with me for all my life.
I was still holding her hand in mine. It felt cooler then normal I squeezed her hand. "We get your powers back, I promise." I smiled at her when she looked at me. "I hope so. What do you think he will do with us?" she asked me. I was sure my promise made her feel better.
"I don't know my friend. But I won't give up that easy."
Yesenia sighed and placed her head on my shoulder. "I'm tired I need some sleep." My brain was working on a plan of escape. I don't know how long Yesenia slept but the sun had set when she woke up. The light coming from the cracks was gone. It was now completely dark in the basement. It must have been several hours after dark when I heard footsteps. The hatch opened and a man walked down the stairs, the man carried a burning torch to light his path. He walked up and stopped right before us.
"The boss thought you two might be hungry. Here's your supper. Enjoy" the man told us looking form me to Yesenia, he most have been around 30 or something.

He put down a plate with 4 slices of bread. Yesenia took two of them and consumed as if she hadn't eaten in days. I watched how she ate; at this point I was sure she wasn't herself anymore. I didn't touch them but gave a mean look at the guard, "What are you going to do with us!" The guard laughed. "You'll be surprised, merchant!"
He spat the last word with great disrespect.
He knelled before Yesenia who was on her second slice. "Hey pretty, why don't you go for a real man like me? That boy is nothing." "You!" I attacked the guard but he smashed me hard to the ground. "See what I mean?" He said to Yesenia. I didn't make a second attempt to attack him instead I watched Yesenia's reaction.
"Well if you insist, come closer." She said on a sweet tone. The guard grinned and came closer to Yesenia. "Closer. More closer." When he was right before her she spit right in the face then kicked him. "That's what I do to pigs like you!" "Why you!" the guard raised his arm to slap her.
"Try it and you will regret it!" she dared him. I need to do something fast, looking around I saw the torch hanging on the wall. Grabbed it and held the flame near the man's butt. He turned to attack me but I held the flame in front of his face. I saw how the heat of the flame made the man back away a few steps. He decided that the best he could do was get away before I would set his hair on fire. Leaving both the plate and the torch behind he ran up the stairs. I ran after him but he locked the hatch before I could reach it. Disappointed I walked down the stairs down again and sat on the lowest step with my hands under my chin.
"That was a good move spitting and kicking him." I said turning back to my best friend. Yesenia smiled at me.
"Thanks, your butt flame was original too." We laughed. Yesenia let the air escape her lungs, "I hope they do something fast." I put the torch back on the wall. I guessed it would burn till sunrise. "I'm glad I'm stuck here with you. It gives me hope." She said, stood up and hugged me. I hold her in my arms for a few minutes, "Merkal I'm afraid." She whispered in my ear. "I promised you that I get us outta here. And you know that I never break my promises." She holds on to me tighter. "I know my friend. I.." she holds back.
"What did you want to say?" I asked her. We parted. She smiled at me, "Nothing."
We sat down and fell asleep.

I woke up the sound of a rooster. It surprised me because I didn't know their where any in Agrabah. The light shine trough the cracks in the ceiling weren't very bright yet. "It is morning." I said to myself. On my right side Yesenia was still sleeping, gently I shook her arm. She opened her eyes and blinked against the morning light. "How are you feeling?" I asked her.
"I'm okay, still weak. I never knew that so much of my strength came from my powers." She said with a sigh.
"Don't get used to it." I said joking. She laughed, "I won't" Yesenia stood up and looked around. "Any ideas how to escape this prison?"
"Well I do have an idea. When the guard brings us breakfast we attack and knock him out. Then escape trough the hatch." I saw her thinking. Moments later she spoke, "Good plan, if it is the same pig." We grinned. "As yesterday that will not be a problem. You have the honor to knock him out cold." I gestured my arm and hand in such a way as if I said. "Be my guest." Yesenia sat down again, "I better have some more rest before we escape. I don't want to slow you down." She said looking up at me. I was close enough for her to see me. "Don't worry Yesenia, we get outta here even if I have to carry you."
"Well that I have to see."

I figured that it was about one and a half maybe one hour later when we heard footsteps above us. I gave Yesenia a quick look. "I'm ready" she said almost whispering. The hatch opened but to my surprise not one but three men came down the stairs. I frowned, this was not good. I recognized one of them as Mr. Pig by looking at his blue eye. "I think he met Yesenia's fist." I said so soft that nobody heard it. I gave Mr. Pig a better look. I was amazed that we could get rid of him that easy. By day he looked like a man you want to avoid if you met him on the streets. He was at least a head taller then I. His arms where very hairy ending into big hands. He could have knocked me trough a wooden wall. The second man was about my height he wore traveling clothes. He had a normal body shape. He was or a traveler or a soldier dressed for a trip trough the desert. The third man was almost the same as Mr. Pig. His brother perhaps.
"Come you two!" the man who could be the brother of Mr. Pig demanded grabbing Yesenia's.
"Ouch you're hurting me!" Before I could do anything my left arm was bend behind my back by Mr. Pig. He pushed me in front of him up the stairs. I had troubled not to fall. The light was hurting my eyes but I kept them open till I was on the ground floor again. I closed them slowly I opened my eyes to let them adjust to the light. Spending almost a day in the half dark my eyes weren't used to full sunlight. A minute later my vision had returned to normal again. Mr. Pig was still bending my arm, it was really painful.
"What is Zuban going to do with us?" I looked on the left. The brother was holding both her arms behind her back so she couldn't move at all. She was struggling to get lose.
"Hasan you watch out with that woman. She is dangerous." Mr. Pig told his brother. When I saw the look on Yesenia's face when she heard the word woman said in such disrespect I had trouble not to laugh. It was a good thing Hasan was holding her tight by her wrists. I knew her, she would attack Mr. Pig with or without magic.

After waiting for a few minutes Zuban entered. He was fatter then ever; prison life didn't make him lose some weight. He walked back and fort before Yesenia and me. "You know boy, I'm merely a business man. Sometimes I can get my hands on something and trade or sell it for a price. Take your camel for example, what was his name again? Oh yes Rafeek. I knew some one what could pay a good price for the skin of a baby camel. But then you and the blasted cousin of yours had to ruin my plans. Now I'm back to collect your debt. You wonder why didn't take your sweet little camel away don't you? Well here's why....." he leaned closer to me. With his face right before mine looking me straight into the eye he said. "Because skins of camels aren't worth enough to pay me. So I thought and looked what else I could take away from you. And so I came to know about your girlfriend here." Here walked to Yesenia and held her chin in his hand. The anger was building inside me quickly I struggled only causing Mr. Pig tighten his grip around my arm. "I found out that she has magic, and magic sells good these days. I told my client about her and that her powers, he wanted only her powers. As a matter of fact I have several clients that wanted her magic but not her. There's where this ring came into the picture." With an evil grin he picked a ring out of his pocket.
"This ring opened the way to great fortune for me."
"But what do you want with us?!" Yesenia hollered.
"I'm going to tell you my dear. In all those years the interest build up, every year it got higher and higher. Till the day that I got free again. I thought about how you could pay me back the interest. I asked around what was doing well these days and the answer was: slaves." Zuban said the last word on a dark hissing tone. "I got a nice price for you two. Now bye, bye." Before I could react something hit my head hard and everything went dark.

The ground below me was shaking back and fort, up and down. My body rolled with the shaking of the ground. I felt that I rolled against something. I figured out that I was getting back to conscience again, a terrible headache confirmed that thought. My eyes flew open. My head lay behind some one's back. Following the back further down with my gaze I recognized Yesenia's white pants. I crawled to my hands and knees. When I wanted to stand up I was hold back by something around my left ankle. It was a thick iron chain chained to the bars of a big cage. "That will come later." I said to myself and turned my attention to Yesenia's body on the ground before me. Back on my hands and knees I touched her bare shoulder and shook it hoping it would wake her up. I was trilled that it worked. I turned her to her back when she groaned opening her eyes. "I'm going to get that guy knocking me out like that." I smiled, that was my Yesenia again. "Are you okay Yesenia?" I knew she saw that I was worried about her in my eyes. How could I not be worried after what we just had been through.
"Yeah I think so. Merkal Are you okay?"
"Only a headache." Just then I noticed that we weren't alone. I counted 5 other people, 3 men between 20 and 35 I guessed, 2 woman both in their late 20's early 30's and a child. I figured that the child was between 5 and 7 years old. The woman where very poor dressed, there where many rips and holes in their clothes. One was holding the child close to her. The girl looked at me with fear in her eyes. I gave her a friendly smile, "Don't be afraid I'm not going to hurt you. My name is Merkal and this is Yesenia. What is your name little girl?" I asked while kept smiling. The girl crawled behind the woman holding her. "She is afraid of strangers. My name is Jarida and this is my daughter Micha." Jarida told us that we where on an 8 day trip to Cairo.
"Where is Cairo?" I hadn't a clue where that kingdom was.
"Cairo is the capital of Egypt. We are traveling to the sound south-west." One of the men in the cage said.
"Egypt!"
"Quiet in there!" I heard some saying outside the cage. I tried to look but the backs of one of the two elephants where the cage was resting on prevented me to see anything.
"We are going to be sold as slaves in Cairo." The prisoner said looking over the desert.
"We already figured that part out on our own." Yesenia commented. My brain was working full time. There must be a way to escape this hell on earth. I thought. But how? When? And if we escape will we make it back to Agrabah. A lot of questions but for now no answers. It was obvious that this moment wasn't the right time to escape. No one can survive the desert on their own. I thought to let it alone for the moment and focus on my fellow prisoners. Since I was forced to spend a week with them I better get to know them better.

Jarida turned out to be a nice but poor woman. Her family, including Micha's father where dead, they died because of hard life being a slave. I couldn't understand why a person would force others to work for them under such hard conditions. Yesenia and Micha got along great. Jarida told me that it had been a long time since she saw her little daughter smile and laugh. I was glad my best friend was distracted from the loss of her magic by the little girl. Every evening Yesenia crawled next to me. The chains or our legs where long enough to do it. I was sitting with my back against the side of the cage where instead of bars a wooden wall was. It still wasn't pleasant to sit against. We talked about allot of subjects, our family and how we miss them, the woman and her little daughter, our adventures together as friends and many more subjects. I saw how Yesenia was getting more and more tired and weakened everyday. After the third day traveling she said to me.
"Merkal if I don't make it. Tell my family that I always loved them. Will you do that for me please?" she was almost begging me. Her words scared me, I never thought I would lose her like this. Sure we faced many dangers, we could have been killed in some but inside I knew that we would survive. This time I wasn't sure about anything. Just my promise to get her home alive and with her magic. "Yesenia don't say that. Of course you will make it home. I won't let you die here in the desert." I pulled her close to me. "We will survive this." She smiled then fell asleep. Later that night when everyone inside and outside the cage where asleep I did something I seldom did. I said a prayer to Allah to help us. In the moonlight I looked for the last time at Yesenia. My feelings for her where stronger then ever. I was determined to get her magic back and reunite her with her family.

Jarida woke me up the next morning with good news. "Merkal they say that we will stop at an oasis today. To rest some." I smiled, "That is good news." I quickly woke up Yesenia to tell her. "An oasis! Great!" she seemed happy with the news. An hour later I saw the palm trees of the oasis doom up above a sand dune. Just before noon the caravan walked pass the first palm trees. From close by the oasis seemed allot bigger. The elephants kneeled so one of our prisoner takers could climb on top of the animal.
"You have 4 hours to spend in and around the water. But if anyone tries to escape he or she will be killed." Two others joined the man. They opened the cage and one by one the chains around our feet where unlocked. It wasn't until I left the cage I saw a small village east of the water. It was obvious that this oasis was used for a resting-place for caravan's traveling trough the desert. They're where many people walking on the sight. This village was for a big part self-sufficient. Behind the village I saw a hill dooming up with a temple on top of it.
"Come children let's go to the temple of Hibis to bring offers to Hibis." I heard a woman say to her two children. 2 boys of your age. I wondered who this Hibis god was. For me the only true god was Allah.

I counted 5 men armed with a sword. It had no use to try to escape from here. It was disappointing that the plan I made in the last hours wouldn't work. I brought my full attention back to my closest friend. Yesenia looked better then yesterday, "How are you feeling Yesenia?"
"I'm feeling better then yesterday, a good night sleep helped. A good meal will give me more strength too." She was looking at a cooking place a few meters from us.
"Slaves eat!" one of the men ordered us. We did as we where told and gathered around to eat and drink some.

Our meal consisted out of fruit, fish and birds. For starters we could choose from several dishes. I looked around the table the maza had many salads. The baida mahsjia, a filled egg was one of my favorite dishes. "They are spoiling us." I said to myself.
"Yes strange isn't it?" Jarida said while eating salata baldi, a typical Agrabahiran salad with onion, garlic and radish. It took more then half an hour to finish the maza.

Our main course was Tagin samak, fish with sugar and raisins. It was a good meal. I watch how everyone enjoyed the fish with much taste. I shared my meal with Yesenia as my beliefs told me. I remembered what Mohammed said. "Food for 2 persons is enough for 3, and food for 3 persons is enough for 4." And so it happened that Yesenia shared her meal with Jarida and Micha. Even tough we where prisoner we where still in the Arab part of the world. Of course a part of the course was bread, after all we where under Egypt influence.
All in all this oasis was a great place, the fish was fresh from the water. The water made the oasis a good place to grow Tamr palm trees. They bought the rest of the many caravans passing by to rest.

"Why do you give us good food?" I asked one of the men.
"Because weak slaves doesn't bring money in my pockets" he laughed tapping in his pocket.
After the course Yesenia and I walked along the waterside talking some. "You know Merkal now I realize that I was to depended on my magic. I forget Fahir's lessons over the years. He said your strength doesn't come from magic but from your heart." I smiled at her.
"I know I can life without my magic but I need your support my friend." She asked me on a serious almost emotional tone.
"Of course I will support and help you in anyway I can. You don't have to ask me that."
We spend the rest of the two hours at the waterside with our feet in the cool water to refresh for the journey to come.
"What do you think we will do as slaves?" Yesenia asked me.
"I really don't know but we can deal with it together." I told her. Finally after almost a weak I saw a weak spark back in her eyes again.

The next 4 days passed quickly we didn't pass any oasis but on the 6th day Yesenia told me she saw a city in the distance.
"That's Amman." The man said who told us about our trip days before.
Finally the caravan walked pass the gates of Cairo, capital of Egypt. We got a few hours rest in a small building east of the local market and bazaar. Everyone was nervous about what was coming. I knew that this was the time I had been waiting for. Yesenia and I would escape here in Cairo. Micha was scared and crying, her mother and Yesenia where trying to comfort her. I watched how she handled the little girl and smiled. Tough she was dirty with dust and sand she still was beautiful. I started to wonder why I didn't see that before. My mother and she where the most important persons in my life. But I never saw how beautiful Yesenia really was. If she had been a princess she surely would had many suitors wanting her hand. I found it so strange that there was never a man in her life other then her family and friends. I knew that back in Agrabah there where several guys asking me if she was single or not. Afterwards those guys told me that she didn't want to date them. There where 2 or 3 guys she had one date with but it stayed that way. She never told me why she didn't like those guys. I waved the thoughts away and kept looking at her some more. She noticed me staring and smiled at me. I was embarrassed when I realized that I was staring at her and quickly returned her smile. I walked to the small window and gazed outside my thoughts going back and fort between Yesenia and my plan of escape. It was only a matter of time before we would be free again.

I guessed it must have been 4 hours later, but I could never tell for sure in the desert. What can seem like an hour can be 1 and a half or even three hours. The door swung open and a couple of men entered. They where dressed in traditional Egypt clothing. All carried a sword on their belt along with a dagger. I didn't like the way they ordered us to get out of the building. "Slaves go outside!"
They forced us to go outside to a wooden platform. Before the platform, on the ground, was a small crowd of men and woman. With a spear pushed against my back I climbed up the steps onto the platform. There we where set in a straight line with our face toward the people.
"The men must remove their shirts" someone said. The other two men did as they where told, I hesitated and looked at Yesenia standing on my right. I am not someone who undresses in front of strangers, I never did it in front my best friend. Even if it was only the shirt and not the rest; the only one who I did was my own mother. Yesenia nodded telling me that it was okay. One of the soldiers alias slave drivers came to me, he stopped before me. "Didn't you hear me slave! Remove your shirt, now!"
I frowned but did as I was told. Standing with bare chest I looked straightforward to embarrassed to make eye contact with her.
"Ladies and gentle men pick your male slave. I assure you they are strong young men in good health!" The men and woman climbed up the platform and walked pass the line. From the corner of my eye I saw a woman coming straight to me. I saw her looking at me from the crowed just before. She stopped, turned her eyes studying my body from top to toe. She wasn't unattractive, she was older then Yesenia. I guess the woman must have been between 25 and 30. She had short black hair and a pretty face. She walked around me.
"I buy him." She said then I noticed a man, around my age with dark brown hair and brown eyes studying Yesenia carefully. He grabbed her wrist and brought her arm up. I saw him looking at her hand.
"This one is good enough for the job."
"But sir, the women will be next first the man." The man that had announced that the sale had started said.
"I don't care I want her. She's just right." The guy with the brown hair and eyes said.
I got a bad feeling about what he meant by "she's just right." But there was something else, a feeling I got when I saw him looking at my best friend. What was it? I wondered to myself. I didn't like the way he looked at her, I just hated it. I thought hard about it when Yesenia and I where guided away. It seems that the short hair young woman and the guy with the brown hair and eyes knew each other. I was told to put my shirt back on again, but we where chained at our wrists to each other.
"Get used to it, you two will be each other's mates for the next time." The guy said looking again at Yesenia in that way. Now I knew what that feeling was: jealousy. We where lead to a large building, probably a warehouse. As we entered I saw many people sitting on the ground. Chained two by two, all looking anything but happy. "You two sit there." The woman told us pointing to a corner. We did as we where told and sat down. The guy and woman left. "I don't like that guy, no don't like isn't the right word. If he gives me that look again I will throw up." Yesenia said with disgust in her voice. A wry smile came to my lips, "I'm glad you think you agree with me."
"What did you think otherwise, you should know that my taste for men is better then that." She grinned.
"I know Yesenia, sorry that I thought that way." "It's okay Merkal." She gave me an unexpected kiss on the cheek then quickly moved away.
"I - I am sorry I don't know why I did that." Yesenia apologized to me. I smiled, "That's okay it was nice of you." I told her but inside I had a strong urge to kiss her back. A real kiss on her lips, not just a kiss on her cheek. I shove the urge away when we where told to step outside. All the people, 40 maybe more, where connected with a couple of long chains. "Now follow the horse, we're going to bring you to your new work place." A mean looking man with a bullhead dressed in leader said while striking the ground with his whip. We walked for kilometers and kilometers. We passed cornfields, and fruit trees, I was fascinated by the sight of such wealthy land compared to these rich lands was Agrabah only a dusty city.

We where brought to little wooden huts where 2 people would sleep at night at day we had to work on the fields from sunset till sundown. Once again we where told that escaping would be punished with death. I heard that story now 5 times in 2 weeks and it was starting to annoy me. That evening I took the time to talk with my friend how she was feeling. I was happy that she thought she could do the work on the fields. She thanked me again for my support and friendship. When she thanked me she looked me straight in the eye. I had trouble to act normal, of course she looked me in the eye countless times before but this time it was different. I could she was hiding something from me, I only couldn't tell what. We broke contact after a minute or so and talked some more before going to sleep. Finally since more then a week I could sleep on something more conformable even if it where only a pack of rags, and I was chained with my wrist to Yesenia so we where forced to sleep on our side facing each other. I didn't really mind with a smile on my face I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

The next morning we woke up with a start, a slave driver stood in the doorstep yelling that we had to get up.
"Just fine, first we hadn't a bed and woke up normal and now that we finally have one we are woken up like this." Yesenia said while trying to stand up. I laughed about her complaining sitting straight up. But because we forgot about the chain on our wrist she was pulled down by my weight and fell on top of me. Taken off guard by the fall of Yesenia I rolled away again forgetting about the chain. It caused her to fell next to me. On the last second I saw her head falling to a stone on the ground next to my bed. I quickly pulled the chain to me so she fell with her head on my chest. The impact did hurt of course but I didn't mind. She thanked me for probably saving her life. I smiled at her and we hugged as far it was possible with the chain.
"Yesenia you are my very best friend in the word and I care deeply for you. You know that I will save your life if necessary.." I paused. "Even if it would cost my own." My words didn't surprise her, instead she sighed.
"I know Merkal and you know I would do the same for you. You are very imported to me and I'm very happy that we met."
Then we got outside; the sun was standing bright at the sky. The temperature was high, maybe even higher then the mornings in Agrabah. All the slaves where guided to a cornfield where we would work all day. While the time crawled by at the speed of a snail the sun got higher and higher at the sky. To me it seemed like the day would never end. Working on the field was harder then I thought, both Yesenia and I where exhausted at the end of the day. We where glad that we could rest. Our dinner was something with beans in it, I tasted better food. I was smart enough not to say anything about it, I wasn't in the mood for an argument with the slave drivers.

The second day was even harder, I knew that Yesenia nor I could keep this up much longer. Tough I was used to hard work as a merchant this was different. So about half way that day I requested to see the person in charge. I talked the guy who was guarding us, making sure we wouldn't try to escape, into removing the chains and bringing me to his boss. The "boss" was to my surprise a woman. Well woman would be a nice description, I guessed she was in her mid 40's. She had very short black hair, with bare arms covered with some sort of paintings. With one earring and an expression as if she could jump up and beat me up at any second the woman said. "What do you want slave!"
"I'm starting to hate that word" I thought. With a smile and on a nice, sweet tone. "Good day madam, I have a little request. Could you transfer me and my friend to work at the barns please? " The woman looked at me showed her rotten teeth and said, "But of course. Is there something else I could do for you, my lord?" I knew she making fun of me. I opened my mouth to say something but the woman cut me off. "Find his friend and put both to work at barn number 4. Oh and make sure they work hard." She said the guy that brought me to her. Then turned to me, "If I hear that you and your friend aren't working hard enough you'll regret the moment you laid eyes on me! Understand, slave?!" Again she laid the accent on the word slave. With a spear pressed against my back I walked back to Yesenia.
"And how did it go?" she asked me.
"We are going to the barns." I responded. Meanwhile another slave driver chained us together again. After he was done he pulled his weapon, a sharp looking sword and told us to start walking to the barn. The walk to the barn was about five minutes.
"You carry the bags with corn from the wagon to the barn." The guy with the spear who brought me to his boss told me. Then he pointed to Yesenia, "And you will carry them inside with those other slaves." He gestured toward a group of 4 slaves a couple of meters from us. "Those men and that woman will make sure you all work hard." The second man, the one who had the sharp looking sword gestured around. I saw several men armed with swords, spears even 2 with bows looking at us in a way they where looking forward to stop us. The woman was holding a whip. It made me feel uncomfortable but I knew that this would be our only chance to escape. I need something to draw their attention away from Yesenia and me. I only needed to think of what.

The two men left and Yesenia, me and the other slaves picked up our work. Two slaves and me carried the bags from the wagon. Yesenia was put in charge of the other 2 slaves they brought the bags inside and stacked them away. The man of Yesenia's group was looking big and strong he was controlling the crane to lift the bags up to the first floor of the building. Their Yesenia took the bag over and stacked it away. The woman of my best friends group stacked the bags, that where meant for the ground floor, away. We worked hard and as a team. The whole time I kept an eye on the slave drivers or guards as I prefer to call them. They where ordering us to work harder and harder keeping their weapons in sight. The woman used her whip to speed the man and woman on Yesenia's team. I was glad Yesenia was out of her way the thought that she would hurt Yesenia made me mad.

Hours passed then suddenly I heard a scream, I knew it was Yesenia's voice. I dropped the bag of corn, it fell open the corn was all over the ground. The guards tried to stop me, I pushed them away not thinking about their weapons. An arrow just missed me, I didn't care and ran inside the barn climbed up the stairs. I saw how one of the guards was struggling with Yesenia.
"I want a kiss!" he demanded from her. I found a stick on the floor and hit the guard with it on the head. It broke, "So you want to fight boy!" with his fist he hit me in the face. I fell on the ground, I saw how he pulled his sword and raised it above his head ready to strike. Then Yesenia jumped on his back saying "No one is going to hurt my best friend." With his arm he throw her away she fell against a stack of bags they fell upon her. The guard dropped his sword when Yesenia had jumped on his back. I picked it up and held it against his throat.
"You get away or I swear I use it!"
The guard jumped out of the window to the rope but missed and fell down, I didn't care my mind was with Yesenia while my hands where digging her out. It felt like it took me hours to find her. Finally I reached her, her eyes where closed but I couldn't see any injuries. I checked if she was still breathing, I sighed when she was. I ran to the window.
"Quick get a doctor my friend is wounded. Hurry!" Waiting for someone to come I hurried back to Yesenia. I felt like crying. "Yesenia I'm so sorry, it's all my fault." My voice trembled. Minutes later a doctor came he checked her.
"Quick bring her to my practice." Two slaves brought her to his practice on a wooden board.

To me it seemed like hours before the doctor came out. "Doctor please tell is she going to be all right?"
"She has a few broken ribs and some contusions. If she gets enough rest for a couple of days she be okay. Then she needs to take it easy for a while." The doctor said.
"Thank you doctor I will take care of her."
"Yesenia is very lucky to have a friend like you. You must care for her very deep." He said to me. I smiled for the first time in days. "Yes I care for her very deep, she's very important to me."
Then other problem checked in, the leader woman wanted to kill her. "Weak slaves can't work and only costs money." She said. With great difficulty I talked her into letting me take care of Yesenia for two days. If she wasn't up to work by then I will take her place and will be killed. With a evil grin the woman agreed.

Back in our hut I made sure Yesenia was laying comfortable.
"Merkal thank you but you shouldn't do that. If Allah decides it's my time I go." I put my finger on her lips. "Hush, don't talk rest. I be here if you need anything." She pushed my finger away and opened my hand then took it in hers. "Merkal you truly are the best friend I can wish for." I saw a twinkling in her eyes. My feelings for her had grown so strong in the last weeks. Then it hit me, I had fell in love with her. She had become much more then only my best friend. She had become the one I fell in love with. Now I knew how I felt for her I wanted, I needed to tell her. I saw her eyes getting heavy, it won't be long before she would fall into a deep sleep. I saw how tired she was.
"Yesenia I love you." I whispered. Her eyes where closed but I saw my words made her smile. She squeezed my hand with her voice barely above a whisper she said. "I love you too Merkal, for sometime now." Then she fell asleep. I was blown away, I didn't expect that she would love me too. I needed time to think the only feeling I was sure of that I loved her and would never leave her. I kissed her on her forehead. "I get us out of here Yesenia I swear"

Yesenia slept for hours, as I promised I was at her side the whole time. A guard checked every few hours, she demanded to know when Yesenia would be ready to work again. It started to annoy me after the 2nd time. I hoped Yesenia would be strong enough to escape this hell on earth soon. I think I fell asleep because I heard Yesenia's voice but I couldn't remember that she had woken up. I looked at her and smiled, "Good morning how are you feeling?" I asked her. "Merkal it's past noon, look at the clock." She said. I laughed, "That's a good sign."
I got her something to eat, after the meal she laid down again to rest some more but staid awake.
"You know Merkal, I think I be up on my feet in a matter of days. You got a plan for our escape yet? I was thinking that I pretend that I'm still too weak to work. We escape when I got to the doctor for a check up." Yesenia told me. I nodded, "That's a good plan, you think you be strong enough tomorrow early in the evening? Then we can get away in the dark."
"I have not much of a choice do I? I know we can get away from here, I hope I can survive the desert." She said looking at me.
"You have me, I hide some supplies, water, food, blankets and some medication near the doctors office." I stood up ready to leave. "Okay don't take to long, I will get some more sleep." Yesenia answered.

Just before I left I turned around, "I love you"
Yesenia smiled, "I love you too."
Those words made a smile appear on my lips and I left.

Our escape was fast and silent, we had a lead of more then an hour before the slave drivers got after us. We walked the whole night, it wasn't till early the next morning we could rest a little. We lost most of our food that night, I gave everything to Yesenia. She was tired but doing better then I expected. But we both knew that we needed help fast.

With one arm supporting Yesenia and the other holding her arm hanging over my shoulders I dragged her through the desert. She was weak, 2 days walking trough the desert with no food, little water and hardly rest Yesenia was weakened. I knew we had to find help fast I didn't want to think what could happen if we didn't. We walked and walked, Yesenia moved slower by the hour.
"Merkal I can't go on anymore I need rest." Her voice was barely a whisper. "Yesenia you need to go on, I love you and I am not planning to lose you now." I told her. She shook her hand and collapsed on the warm sand. If I wasn't holding her by her arm her face would have hit the sand. I lifted her in my arms and carried her behind a high dune out of the sun. I lifted her head to give her some water. She fall asleep almost instantly. I gently laid her head back on the sand. I climbed on op top of the dune hoping to see a caravan that would rescue us. Instead I saw a black spot in the distance quickly getting bigger and bigger. I thought the heat was playing tricks with my mind because I was sure it was a ship. "A ship in the desert? I am getting crazy here." I rubbed my eyes and looked again. The ship was still there and heading straight at us. At that point I was sure that Allah had mercy with us. I waved and yelled, "Help! We are over here! Help us!" The ship sailed closer and closer to me. Then very close by it changed course and the sail was lowered. It stopped with it's portside to us. Some sort of animals slide down on ropes from the ship.
"Quick my friend needs water and food, she's dying" I said to the animals. They placed her on a plank and hoist her on the ship. With the help of a rope ladder I climbed on board. Quickly I ran after the animals who brought Yesenia below decks. The brought to a room, she was moved on a bed and given some water. We where surrounded by 4 animals that looked closest like the bears who I saw the forests in Greece.
"Can I speak to your captain?" I asked on of the animals unsure if they understood me. One of them made a sound and left. Minutes later they returned with a man. The man was very dark skinned, a strong posture like a soldier but even wider. With dark gray pants and a blue, red and blue jacket he made a uncomfortable appearance. He had a head in the same blue color as his jacked and a small pony tale. He reminded me of some of the sailors I saw on my journey back to Agrabah.
"I am Captain Murk and this is my ship the Desert Fury. I demand to know your names and why you where in the desert alone without any caravan." He said with a dark voice.
"My name is Merkal and this is my best friend Yesenia." I gestured to the sleeping young woman I recently told I loved her. "We escaped a farm east of the river the Nile. We were slaves there and are on our way to Agrabah. Where we live." I told Murk.
"Agrabah." The captain said.
"Yes Agrabah, you heard of the hero Aladdin?" I asked him. He nodded "I know him and his girlfriend Princess Jasmine."
"That's good so will you help us?" I asked the captain.
"Very well, we were sailing in that direction anyway."

Yesenia's straight returned to her in the following days. She slept a lot I stayed next to her bed almost the whole time. The captain had told us that it was about 5 days sailing back to Agrabah. Though he wasn't very talkative I managed to tell him how him knew Aladdin and Jasmine. In the evening of the 4th day I was standing on the bow enjoying the view and feeling the warm desert wind blowing in my face. Far starboard I could see the pyramids. On the other side of the ship I saw how the desert dunes slowly passed the ship. Finally in more then 2 weeks I had a good feeling about the next day. I was on my way back to Agrabah, Yesenia was getting stronger, I had a plan ready to get her magic back and most of all I was sure of my feelings for the young woman that was my best friend. "I wonder that's next. She's my best friend but now that we are in love.." I said to myself.
"Lovers" came from behind me. Yesenia was standing two and a half-meter behind me. I smiled and walked to her and hugged her. "Yes lovers."
"Next time you introduce me to someone you can call me your girlfriend instead of best friend." She said with a smile on her lips.
"Yes my girlfriend and you can say that you have a boyfriend now." We looked in each other's eyes.
"Say our families will be surprised to hear what happened to us." Yesenia said while standing with her back leaning against my chest enjoying the view.
"Yes they will be surprised. I can hear Crystal and Fazaal's comments now. 'It's about time you two told each other what you truly feel for each other. We had seen this coming for months now.'"

The trip back to Agrabah was quick and without any further delays, in a matter of days the mountain where Agrabah was build could be seen at the horizon. I was happy Yesenia had recovered again, as far as you can speak of recovering without her magic she was still not her old self again.
"But that's going to change soon." I said to myself standing on the deck watching how the city was getting bigger and bigger.
"Merkal be ready to go off board, Desert Fury will dock in a little more then an hour!" Murk told me. He was a little grumpy but a man of honor and faithful toward his friends. Even if he hadn't anyone before Aladdin came along.
"Yay captain we will be ready."
I got below decks to tell Yesenia to get ready. I entered her hut to my surprise see was ready already.
"You forgot that Murk speaks so loud everyone can hear him." She said mocking. I shook my head and walked to her and gave her a hug.
"Come we watch the docking from the deck." I said grabbing her hand pulling her with me behind me. I gave my girlfriend no chance to say something back. Soon the Desert Fury docked before the main gate to the city. We thanked Murk for his help, he captain said nothing. I think was just glad he got rid of us. Finally after more then 3 weeks I walked trough the Streets of Agrabah again. Still alive with Yesenia next to me.
"We should see our family first and call in their help to find the ring." Yesenia said while we where walking on the market.
"Okay, you are right." Soon we came to my stall, as I hoped Fazaal had took over my work.
"Merkal is that you? Is that really you!?" Fazaal shouted.
"Yes Fazaal it's me Merkal your cousin and friend." I said. I was happy to see him again.
"What happened?" Then I saw Fazaal looking at Yesenia. "Yesenia!" he said giving us both a hug.
"We will tell you everything later Fazaal, but first how are our families?" Yesenia asked. I saw that she was happy to be back home again. Fazaal's face turned sad, "They are okay but we thought you where dead. Aabad was devastated, and your parents are still very sad too. Crystal isn't the same ever since. I was the only one who could keep my head cool. I cared for all of them in the first week or so. They will all be so happy to see you both alive and fine." Fazaal told us.
"We're sorry but there was no way that we could contact them. They understand when we tell them what happened to us. Now let's go home first, we have something to tell them." I said to my cousin then looked at Yesenia when I said the last words.
Everyone was excited, allot hugs and kisses where exchanged between the families and the home coming children.
"Mom, Aisha, Abdul, Crystal and Fazaal we have some wonderful news to tell you." I begun. I was so happy and so in love with Yesenia. Excited to tell the families I opened my mouth then Yesenia laid her hand on my arm.
"Let's tell them later okay, first I want my magic powers back." She said. "Okay whatever you want. Crystal we need your help, can you locate a ring?" I said looking back from Yesenia to her little sister. Crystal looked at me confusing, "No I can't locate a ring unless it's a special one."
"This ring has my powers, Zuban stole them to sell it to the highest bidder." Yesenia said serious.
"But do you think he hasn't sold the ring by now? You two have been gone for almost a month." Abdul said.
"I don't think he has, he needed to keep the news that he posses a ring with powers that matches Mozenrath's quiet." Merkal said.
"That's true" Abdul said. Crystal closed her eyes and focused on her sister's magic powers.
"Do you think it works?" I whispered in Yesenia's ear.
"Her powers are not as strong as mine. I know she can. Trust me." Yesenia whispered back.
After a few minutes Crystal opened her eyes again. "I know where the ring is, it's in a building in the west of the city."
"Can you bring us to it?" I asked her. She nodded and walked toward to door. "Come on you two, or did a few weeks make you old?"
"Yesenia and I looked at it each other. They ran after the girl.

Yesenia and I looked at it each other. We ran after the girl.
It took us less then 15 minutes before Crystal stopped in front of an building. It was a big building, several windows on every of the 4 floors. A crane was attached just below the roof.
"A warehouse isn't Zudan's style." I said.
"You know Merkal I don't care what his style is, he's going to have a really bad day today."
"Don't let your anger get the overhand." I said keeping an eye on my girlfriend while looking for a way other then the door. There was an old rope hanging at the hook of the crane but it was to high to climb on. I need something to stand on so I could climb to the first floor and surprise them.
"Merkal you are not climbing on that rope you hear me. It's to dangerous."
Yesenia told me firmly.
"Don't worry Yesenia, I know what I'm doing trust me." I said giving her a tight hug.
"I trust you. I love you" Yesenia whispered in my ear.
I smiled, "I love you too. I be back soon."
"What are you two whispering?" Crystal asked.
We parted and smiled. "Nothing" we said at the same time.
Crystal's confused face made us laugh. I pushed some crates under the rope. With the help of the crates I jumped up and grabbed the rope. Seconds later I was inside. I waved that I was okay and carefully walked trough the building. A few minutes later I heard voices, I followed the sound of the voices to a large room. It covered two floors. I stood on a wide balcony looking down I saw people sitting before a platform surrounded by crates, barrels and bags. I kept my head down peaking down over the edge of the railing. I recognized, Mozenrath and Abis-Mal. Based on Aladdin's description the fourth person had to be the half-cat half-human soccer's Mirage.
"Sold to Mozenrath for 12 chests with gold." I heard my oldest enemy saying to the one I most feared. Mozenrath laughed "Finally I have her powers, and no foolish merchant can stop me!"
"I wouldn't be so sure of that Mozey." I thought. I needed a rope to swing down I looked around me, there was nothing I could use. Then I saw metal steps in the wall on my right, I figured they where in chase the other way was blocked. Carefully I stepped over the railing on a step. Holding on tight I climb down. I was relieved when my feet felt solid ground again. I hid behind a crate, "I wonder if all merchants have such an adventurous life as me."

"I think you have something that belongs to me!" I saw Yesenia entering with Crystal next to her. All the villains looked when they heard Yesenia's voice. "You!" Zuban said. I could tell he didn't expect her to turn up.
"Yes me! Now give me that ring!" Yesenia said with her hands on her hips. "You actually think I'm going to hand over this ring to you?" Mozenrath said holding up the ring between his fingers.
"She again! If she's here her merchant friend isn't far away" Abis-Mal said pulling his sword. I watched how Crystal made the sword turn into a branch Abis-Mal was staring at it stupidly. Mirage made created a fireball in her hand. I knew she was about to shoot it at Yesenia. I came out from my hiding place, jumped and knocked her over. The fireball faded away.
"I told you her merchant friend wasn't far away." Abis-Mal commented. "It's nice to see you too." Yesenia said.

Mirage pushed me away, "That wasn't a smart move." With her nails she scratched my arm. The wound wasn't deep it only hurt and bleed. The pain distracted me so I didn't hear Zuban sneaking up behind me. "You put your nose in my businesses for the last time boy!" Zuban threw a dagger at me. I froze of fear, I just couldn't move.
"No Merkal!" Yesenia hollered. She ran to me and pushed me out of the dagger's course. We hit the ground hard. After a second I looked where Yesenia was. I saw her already back on her feet struggling with Zuban.
"Zuban you'll pay for what you done!"
Meanwhile Crystal used her magic to tie up Abis-Mal and Mirage. I smiled at my friend, "Good work Crystal."
Mozenrath tried to put on the ring and so obtain Yesenia's powers. Only he didn't think of me, I ran to him and grabbed the ring out of his hands. The sorcerer was clearly not ready for my move. The surprise on the pale face said so. He fired a bolt after me, I had no trouble avoiding it. Before the sorcerer could do another move I was at where Zuban had a hard time getting away from an angry Yesenia.
"Here Yesenia catch!" I threw the ring to her. Yesenia looked up at the flying ring. Zuban tried to push her away, "No you won't!" Yesenia let him trip over her feet. Unfortunately she was fast enough to catch the ring, it scattered into pieces on the wooden floor. A white pink smoke came out of it and twirled around her. I smiled, my job was finished. My newfound love had her magic powers back. I saw her eyes twinkle.
"All right! Now to finish the job!" She made Zuban floating high in the air. "Yesenia you are not going to hurt him are you?" Crystal asked her older sister standing next to her.
"No I'm not like him or the other bad guys. Watch." She grinned.
She let Zuban float outside and made him hang on the hook. Abis-Mal had freed himself and left as quick as his short legs could carry him. Mirage and left the scene too. Mozenrath decided it was best to leave too, "I'm not in the mood to fight her again."
"Smart move Mozenrath!" I said grinning.

"How are you feeling Yesenia?" I asked her taking her hand in mine.
"I'm feeling great!" She said smiling.
"You two have something to tell me?" Crystal asked curious. I think she already suspected what happened between Yesenia and me. Yesenia grinned, "Just wait sis. We'll tell when we are home."
Hand in hand we walked back home, a doctor took a look at my wound. "You be okay in a couple of days?" he told me. I saw how glad Yesenia was to hear that news. "Thank you so much doctor, I was worried about him."

That night the families had dinner at Yesenia's house. Fazaal was of course there too. He and Crystal where acting as usual. I smiled, now I know understood what it was like to be in love. I knew Yesenia was the right woman for me. She wasn't only beautiful but her personality was to main reason why she had been my best friend for almost 10 years. We shared something special from the day we met, she grew up from a cute girl to an amazing, and wonderful woman. I asked myself why I didn't fell in love with her sooner. I couldn't find an answer to it and shrugged it away. I didn't care, the only thing that I cared about right now was Yesenia. I wondered what the reactions for our families would be. Mom was very found on Yesenia, but I wasn't sure how she would react on the news. I was also a little afraid for Abdul's reaction, would had approve me? He was happy that his oldest child had found a friend in me. But a boyfriend is something else.

Now that I was her boyfriend I figured that we would have more dates. I smiled looking forward to them. Our last and first one was at Aladdin and Jasmine's wedding, more then a year ago.
We never had another. "Well maybe now." I said to myself.
"What?" Yesenia asked me. I looked up reality came back to me; we where sitting on the roof of the house in the mood light just enjoying each other's company. I smiled at her, "A date with you my love. The first date we had is already more then a year ago and I would be honored to take out on another. This time just something for the two of us." She laid her head on my shoulder and sighed. "That would be wonderful, but don't you think we should free our slave friends first?"
Yes that was very like Yesenia to put her own feelings and needs away for her friends. She was much like Princess Jasmine in that way. Aladdin told me about it all and I talked to her many times. They where the first couple where I saw what love could do with someone. I think the love between those too affected the whole city in some magic way.
"Maybe we should, now come my dear." I took her hand once more and helped her up her feet. She smiled, it made my heart beat faster. A minute later we walked in, the mothers had prepared the meal. Crystal helped and Fazaal and Abdul had been talking in the living room.
"Ah there you two are! Dinner is getting cold, where have you been?"
Yesenia and I exchanged looks and smiles.
"Mom, dad, Crystal, Aabad and Fazaal. Merkal and I have something to tell you." Everyone looked at Yesenia and listened to what she had to say.
"In the past weeks I - we discovered something. We discovered that our hearts belong to each other. Mom, dad I am in love with Merkal!" Yesenia exclaimed the last words. She was soon extremely happy.
"And I am in love, very in love with Yesenia. We are boyfriend and girl friend now." I had a big smile on my lips. Yesenia's parents where clearly shocked. Aabad smiled, she was happy. Crystal and Fazaal exchanged looks. "It's about time you two found each other. Fazaal and I saw it coming for a long time now." Crystal first hugged Yesenia then me. "I agree with my girlfriend. Congratulations cousin."
Finally my mother reacted; she threw her arms around Yesenia and me and hugged us tight. "This is so beautiful! I'm so happy for the both of you!" after she released us she took Yesenia's hands in hers. "Yesenia you most be the happiest girl in the city. Believe me my son will be very good for you."
"Uh mom we are not going to marry now." I said. I know my mom often joking about Yesenia as her daughter-in-law.

When Aabad let go of Yesenia she looked at her parents. They hadn't said anything, I saw Aisha crying.
"Please mom don't cry."
"Oh I'm so happy that's all."
I put my arm around Yesenia's shoulders and kept smiling at her.
"I know you won't but this comes as a real surprise for me and your father." Aisha said to her oldest.
"Come on mom, you must have had a clue they where falling in love. Even I could see it." Crystal said.
Aisha sighed and looked at her husband then took her oldest daughter in her arms. "Congratulations" she said with a soft voice. Abdul agreed and shook my hand.
"So what are you two going to do now?" Fazaal asked.
"Well we didn't really think of that." I said.
"I know what you two will do. You two will have a date!" Crystal said. She came to me and whispered something in my ear, I smiled.
"Yesenia my love, do you want to go on a date with me tomorrow evening?" I asked her turning her to me and looking into her eyes.
"Of course I want to have a date with you!" she said. We hugged and kissed.
"I love you Yesenia"
"I love you too Merkal"

When Aabad let go of Yesenia she looked at her parents. They hadn't said anything, I saw Aisha crying.
"Please mom don't cry. As I said Merkal will take care of me, and I won't move in with him yet. I still will be living with Crystal. So you see me still very often, but now Merkal will be here allot more too." She laughed. "He's practically living here already." I smiled. It was true, I was there allot maybe even more then at my own home or Yesenia's place. I put my arm around her shoulders and kept smiling at her.
"I know you won't but this comes as a real surprise for me and your father." Aisha said to her oldest.
"Come on mom, you must have had a clue they where falling in love. Even I could see it." Crystal said.
Aisha sighed and looked at her husband then took her oldest daughter in her arms. "Congratulations" she said with a soft voice. I turned to Abdul. "Sir, please say you approve that I love your daughter." My voice was shaking, I was afraid he wouldn't approve.
"Daddy?" Yesenia said. The tense was building, all eyes where aimed at Abdul.
Suddenly I saw him grinning.
"Off course I approve, you always been a sort of son to me and you are dating my daughter that will only make it stronger. I'm happy for you both. Yesenia you found the right man for you."
"Oh daddy!" Yesenia hugged her father.
"So what are you two going to do now?" Fazaal asked.
"Well we didn't really think of that." I said.
"I know what you two will do. You two will have a date!" Crystal said. She came to me and whispered something in my ear, I smiled.
"Yesenia my love, do you want to go on a date with me tomorrow evening?" I asked her turning her to me and looking into her eyes.
"Of course I want to have a date with you!" she said. We hugged and kissed. "I love you Yesenia"
"I love you too Merkal"

Disclaimer and other information: I created Merkal, Rafeek, Jarida and Micha, Zuban, Hasan and Mr. Pig. Crystal and Yesenia are the characters of Michelle. We both create Fazaal. Ask us if you want to use them in a story. Agrabah and Captain Murk are copyright Walt Disney Company. Desert Fury is inspired by an idea and dream of The Heart of the Tiger but is copyrighted by me. Egypt, Kharga and the temple of Hibes are existing places. The meals and courses are in Arab and taken from a recipe book of the Arab kitchen of my mother.