Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Genie and the Djann by FloweroftheBlueStar
[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All characters, save for the obviously made up ones, belong to Disney
The desert sands seemed to twinkle beneath the light of the full moon, perfectly mimicking the twinkling sky above. The moonlight bathed everything in a deep blue hue so that the oasis that rested among the dunes looked as if it had been carved from sapphires.

This oasis was special for it was hidden from the rest of the seven deserts, appearing as nothing more than a mirage to unworthy travelers. Only one soul was ever allowed entry into this paradise and he was there now, watching the reflection of the moon upon the still waters of the oasis’ lake.

He was as blue as the foliage around him, a single top knot of dark hair emerging from an otherwise clean scalp. His frame was broad at the shoulder and lean at the hip. His broad chest remained bare to the elements while from the waist down a red sash indicated a hint of clothing, though it was nothing more than a wisp of blue smoke where legs should have been. His face sported a dark goatee that ran down and along his jaw line, ending in a faint curl. There was nothing human about this being and only those who knew him would know that at one time gold shackles had adorned his wrists to show that he had been a prisoner.

He had won his freedom however, thanks to the kindness of his last master. He was free to do what he pleased and how he pleased to and this had been the first place he had paid a visit when he had left to see the world. It had been countless centuries since he had last been here, but it was still the same as it ever had been. A part of him had feared that it had disappeared with the desert sands, but the sands never touched this place.

He lifted his gaze from the surface of the lake and stared at the cluster of Arabian Jasmines that bloomed on a small island in the middle of the lake. Their white petals basked in the light of the moon; when their petals closed when the morning came, the island would look like nothing more than a sanctuary for simple leafy plants. Opening his hand, he conjured a similar blossom from a puff of blue smoke and placed it gently in the water. The blossom drifted there for a moment before it began to float toward the island of its own accord, little ripples distorting the reflection of the full moon above. At the shore of the small island, there were other blossoms that he had left, having taken root to join their brethren.

“Hey kid…” He said, a sad smile slowly playing across his lips. “I…don’t have much to say right now.”

He rubbed the back of his neck, his pointed ears appearing to droop as he heaved a sigh. So many times he had been here since he had been free and this was the first time that he couldn’t think of anything to say. He perked up a bit then as a thought hit him. “Oh that’s right! Did I tell ya? My buddy Al finally got married.”

The blossom that he had let go on the lake floated around the small island, not quite drawing near to the sandy shore. He watched it as it danced on the small ripples that it made. The wisp of blue smoke disappeared as his legs appeared, red pointed shoes adorning his feet. He sat down on the shore of the lake and placed his chin in his hands.

“That was quite a wedding but, ha! Oh man!” He laughed as he slapped a hand to his forehead. “The trouble we had along the way trying to get Aladdin and Jasmine hitched! Ha ha!” His laughter subsided after a moment and he stared at the blossom as it floated once around the small island. “I’ll tell you that story next time kid… It’s a little bit longer than the others but, I’ll know you like to hear it.”

The smile seemed to fade and he hung his head, his large blue hands covering his face. “By the lamp, I do miss you...” Another sigh slipped passed and he shook his head. “Over ten thousand years and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss you.”

The blossom danced once more around the small island of Arabian Jasmines. However, instead of magically taking root upon the small island like the others, it began to float slowly back toward the shore upon which he sat. He did not notice that it was floating there at his feet until a flash of white caught his eye. Lifting his head up, he stared at the flower before he leaned down to scoop it out of the water.

“That’s never happened before…” He mumbled as he turned it over between his fingers. The petals were in full bloom, basking beneath, not the light of the moon, but by his presence. The blossom leaned into his touch and settled there quite happily. He frowned at it in confusion as he scratched his head with his free hand, now what on earth was this supposed to mean?

Cupping the white flower, he stared at the other jasmines on the small island. They sat there quite happily, enjoying the moonlight, looking no different than they had before. A moment passed before he took the flower that he had and held it over his heart. The oasis had always had a life of its own; a magical quality that even he, as a magical being in his own right, did not fully understand.

“I’ll take this as a sign that you’re here… somewhere… and that you miss me too.” He said this with that famous wide grin of his before it melted away into a smaller smile. “I gotta go but I’ll be back soon and I’ll tell you all about Al and Jas’ wedding. I promise Triv…”

He stared at the island one last time before his legs disappeared in a veil of blue smoke. “See ya later kid.” He said with one last look before turning and flying off into the night sky.