Shimmering Traces of Hope by laurelstar73



Summary: Laurel hides a secret that if revealed threatens certain death, but when her path crosses Jasmine's she wonders if she can finally break free from the lies that have been kept for so long...
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Aladdin
Characters: Aladdin, Jasmine, Original Characters
Genres: Action/Adventure, Dark/Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 08/01/06
Updated: 12/20/06


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Alone
Chapter 2: Chapter 2: Allies or Enemies?
Chapter 3: Chapter 3: Suspicion
Chapter 4: Chapter 4: Strangers Meet
Chapter 5: Chapter 5: Get Out
Chapter 6: Chapter 6: Escape
Chapter 7: Chapter 7: Free


Chapter 1: Chapter 1: Alone

Author's Notes: hey I'm laurel and this is my first story so i'd love to hear what you have to say! lol

and trust me, honesty is definitely the way to go, so any comments/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for reading :)


Shimmering Traces of Hope


Chapter 1: Alone




Laurel ran and hid behind a huge ivory vase that stood beside the palace walls and held her breath, waiting to hear his footsteps.


“Laurel, you can’t run from me, I will find you…” came a man’s voice echoing down the hall.


She closed her eyes and waited, praying that he would turn down another hallway and miss her.


Her heart beat, as fear grew steadily in her mind.


“Look it will be much easier if you came out and saved me the trouble of finding you Laurel, come on…you can’t escape your fate.”


The voice was coming closer and closer and she knew that it was only a matter of seconds before he found her.


She was about to run from her hiding place when the footsteps stopped. Laurel waited and her ears were met with only silence.


Her soft brown eyes shone with simmering hope as she looked around and saw that she was alone in the room. A sign escaped her and she was about to move when a man grabbed her by her arm.


“Laurel I’ve been looking for you. Now let’s not make this harder than it has to be my little princess…” his voice was cold and unforgiving and Laurel shivered in his grasp afraid of what was to come.


“Come we have some arrangements that need to be made…this kingdom is mine now and you with it. You should know that you will never escape me,” he said, leading her down the hallway, his face unreadable in the dark of the night.


Laurel struggled against his grasp.



“Please Michael, let me go,” her voice cried out in pain.


He just sneered and dragged her along without sympathy, his impatience growing with every second.


“Your parents are dead now Laurel as well as everyone else you once knew. I have no intention of letting you go when I plan to rule over your father’s palace and take you as my wife.”


Tears rolled seamlessly down the girl’s face as they continued on their way.


“Why did you kill them?” she whimpered, her innocent child face looking up at him through pain filled eyes.


He sneered at her and she saw his eyes drowned in their darkness, consumed by his own evil heart.


“They were in my way princess, but now nothing will stop me from ruling over this city and taking what should have always been mine.”


His voice pierced through her heart as she turned and looked out into the night, knowing that this was only the beginning of something that would change the course and her life and many others.



“You’ll learn Laurel to love me, and see the way I see the world. After all I’m the only family you have left…no one can help you now.”


Michael’s words entered her heart and stole the last glimmer of hope she had as she whispered good bye to her loving parents and knew that she was alone with someone she once believed could be trusted.

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2: Allies or Enemies?

Author's Notes: hey you guys are great~ the reviews have really helped me! hope this chapter doesn't disappoint... oh and again feel free to drop me an email or i offically have a myspace now. lol. keep it up!


Chapter 2: Allies or Enemies?


“We have some visitors today and I expect that you will only show them our hospitality Laurel,” Michael said, straightening the golden crown upon his forehead and smirking to himself arrogantly.


“They could prove to be a strong alley to our kingdom.”


Laurel shot him a dirty look, her eyes a deep shade of brown.


“An ally for the kingdom that is wrought with only corruption and lies because of you Michael.”


Michael brought back his hand and slapped her hard across the face, like he had done so many times before.


“You’ll say nothing Laurel, I won’t have you stopping me from the obtaining the very power I so rightly deserve.”


His eyes were blazoned with a deep fire and only cold ambition burned from them.


A second later he took her face in his hand, turning up her chin so that he could see straight into her eyes.


The woman was beautiful, long silky hair fell to her hips and deep, soft eyes stared back at him against her lightly tanned skin.


She shoved him and as she left she turned back once more, anger burning within the depths of her heart.


“One day Michael Allah will punish you for all of your evil deeds and the power that you have will fall beneath your hands and you’ll have nothing.”


Michael smiled knowing that even Laurel couldn’t stop him from adding yet another kingdom to his shelf of trophies. For years he had convinced kingdoms around the Seven Deserts into becoming his ally only to use his own power and influence to over take their kingdom as his own. Now he was too powerful to be stopped, and he knew that no kingdom stood a chance against him.


Agrabah, that was the kingdom that claimed to be the most prosperous and strongest of all the kingdoms he had ever come by. It would also be a lovely addition to his collection…


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Oh come on Aladdin, please I promise you we will only be in Darkstine for a few days and then we’ll be home,” came Jasmine’s sweet voice. She wrapped her arms around her fiancé and gave him a playful smile.


“I know but this stuff always bores me Jasmine, plus I have to pretend that I know what is going on when you bring all this legal stuff into the conversation,” Aladdin stopped and saw the look Jasmine was giving him.


He kissed her lightly on the lips and smiled. “All right, I guess I better get used to it, huh?”


Jasmine poked him teasingly. “Yes, you’d better because one day it will be you making all the boring legal decisions.”
Aladdin wrapped his arms around her and leaned in to give her another kiss when one of the guards appeared out of nowhere.


“We’re ready your highness to make way towards Darkstine,” he said briskly before turning to leave.


Jasmine smiled at Aladdin who stopped in the middle of leaning in to kiss her, an annoyed look on his face.


“Save that thought,” she replied as she got up and began talking to the guard.


A moment later she returned. “Okay I guess this is it, ready?”


Aladdin flashed her one of his boyish smiles. “As ready as I’ll ever be,” he said following her towards the stables.


“Hey and don’t worry about it Aladdin, I’m sure everything will work out fine,” Jasmine said as she mounted her horse.


Aladdin did the same. “Yeah I mean what’s the worse that can happen, right?”



Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3: Suspicion

Author's Notes: hey guys, again sorry for the long wait, but hopefully the next update will not take as long.

tell me what ya think!


Chapter 3: Suspicion


“It’s very nice to meet you as well,” Jasmine responded politely as she introduced Aladdin.


Aladdin bowed, feeling extremely out of place. Michael smiled and led them towards the dining area.


Jasmine whispered to Aladdin, still keeping her gaze forward.


“Just relax, you’re doing great.”


Aladdin gave her a weak smile and tried his best to show that he wanted to be here.


But as the conversation turned to politics and policies that needed to take form he could feel his attention lost and he ended up staring blankly at his plate in front of him, wondering when the conversation would end.


“Well I hope your stay here is most enjoyable,” Michael said, indicating the meal was over. He had two of his servants lead Aladdin and Jasmine to their rooms.


When they were alone Aladdin let out a huge sigh of relief, clearly overwhelmed. Jasmine gave him a small playful shove and smiled.


“So was the meal that much more interesting than what we were discussing? You didn’t say much,” she said.


“Well I can’t say I didn’t try Jasmine, but all this is so new to me,” he replied, his face worn with exhaustion.


Jasmine wrapped her arms around him.

“Don’t worry Aladdin, it will come to you.” A look of question crossed her face. Aladdin asked her what was wrong.


She hesitated, almost wondering if she should tell Aladdin.


“Don’t you think it was odd that Michael didn’t have his wife come and talk with us, or at least introduce her?” she asked, apprehension in her tone.


Aladdin thought for a moment. “Jasmine I’m sure he will eventually, maybe she had other plans and couldn’t make it.”


Jasmine nodded in agreement, but she felt as if there was more to it than that.


“Let’s go to sleep, we’ve had a long journey here and we’re both pretty tired.”


“Yeah I guess you’re right, I mean it’s probably just nothing,” Jasmine replied as she got ready for bed.


But still something worried her and she silently wondered if it was a warning of something yet to come…



Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4: Strangers Meet

Author's Notes: yeah sorry for the delay...writers block what do ya know...lol


Chapter 4: Strangers Meet


Jasmine woke up with a sudden jolt as a hand reached out and covered her mouth. A moment later her world was plunged into darkness as she felt someone lift her away…


Three hours before….

“Make sure that no one sees you,” the man said. His voice was cold and emotionless as he ordered another to make certain that his plans would prevail.
“But…what of the princess? Surely you can’t…” another voice spoke mysteriously.

The first man interrupted him, and turned to leave, as if his time was being wasted.

“I’ll take care of the rest, just make sure you hold your end of the deal.”


His robes of pure black fluttered in the night as he disappeared again into the night.



Present:


Jasmine painfully opened her eyes, feeling as if there were tiny needles stabbing her with a relentless pain. She squinted and saw that she was in a room dark as the night and only lit by the distant reflection of the full moon.

“Where am I?” she wondered out loud. The sound of a door opening made her look up and when her eyes met the person she gasped in surprise.









Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5: Get Out

Chapter 5: Get Out


“Who are you?”


“No one. I’ve come to warn you…get out while you can,” came a mysterious voice.


Jasmine shook her head. “Can’t you see that I’m trapped,” she indicated the shackles wrapped around her arms and legs.

The stranger produced a small metal key from her cloak and unlocked the chains.
She lowered her voice to a whisper, and her words came urgent, as if she knew that time was vital.


“Take your husband and leave, it’s the only way to be safe…trust me.”


Jasmine looked carefully at the woman, wondering whether or not to believe her.


“Why? What danger could there possibly be?” she asked, disbelief lining the edge of her voice.


The woman took Jasmine’s hand in hers, as if they already knew each other and looked dead in her eyes.


“He wants to kill you…” she said.


Jasmine gasped in horror as she took a step back from the woman.


“What are you talking about?” she demanded, crossing her arms in front of her.


The woman’s eyes darted nervously around the dungeon walls and Jasmine could sense the immense fear in her eyes.


“I know you don’t know me, but listen, Michael will do anything to get what he wants and your kingdom is the last remaining kingdom that he has yet to conquer. If he kills you, Agrabah will fall.”


Jasmine couldn’t believe what the woman was saying and turned to leave. The woman grabbed her arm gently and pleaded with her.


“Please believe me. You don’t have a lot of time, at sunrise he plans to take your life and make it look like an accident…you need to get out of here, it’s the only way…”


Jasmine stopped, her eyes searching the woman’s wondering if her story were true.


“Okay, just tell me what to do,” she finally said.


The woman smiled and whispered, “Go back to your room, and leave with your husband…there’s a trap door underneath the bed, now go!”


Without another word Jasmine turned and ran up the stairway, but as she reached the top, she stopped and glanced one last time at the woman. She nodded as if to thank her and left

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6: Escape

Author's Notes: hey thanks for the reviews guys!
they really do help i promise ;)

hopefully next chapter will be up soon!


Chapter 6: Escape


Jasmine hurried through the palace hallways, her heart racing with fear…the warning the woman had given her still ringing in her mind with perfect clarity…


Would they make it?


As she struggled to restrain the growing fear in her soul she rounded another corner and stopped suddenly. Soft echoes of footsteps were faint to her ears as she listened, holding her breath in panic.


She could barely make out the sound of two men talking in hushed tones.


“The princess is safe in the palace dungeons Sire…just as you wished,” came a man’s voice.

“And the husband?”


Jasmine had to stop herself from gasping- it was Michael’s own voice she heard.


“Sound asleep for now…” came the man’s reply.


Jasmine felt her heart flutter with fear…


“Good…now let’s check on the princess and see we can come to some agreement over the alliance between Agrabah and our kingdom.


Jasmine could feel her heart freeze as the sound of the men approaching grew louder. Her eyes scanned her surroundings and she quickly ducked behind a large stone statue and waited in silence.


The shadows hid her face, but Jasmine felt a surge of alarm flow through her and settle in her soul.


Michael and the other man passed her without stopping and she let out a sigh of relief.


Quietly and carefully she backed away and made her way back to her room, closing the door and locking it behind her.


She rushed over to Aladdin and nudged him awake, pressing a hand on his mouth so he wouldn’t yell in surprise.


Her voice came in a wave of excitement. “Aladdin we have to get out of here now.”


Aladdin stared at her in confusion and was about to ask her what was wrong when yells were heard outside the door.
Jasmine pulled his arms urgently and whispered for him to follow her. He nodded as the shouts from outside grew louder and fueled with anger…


“Open this door or we’ll break it down!”


Without missing a beat Jasmine threw open the trap door and both of them escaped through the secret stairway.


As she closed the door she felt the vibration of the door being broken down and ran with Aladdin through the dark tunnel without looking back.


Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7: Free

Author's Notes: sry for the LONG delay...*hides*

but i hope the next chapter will be up in no time...as always R and R ;)


Chapter 7: Escape

Aladdin and Jasmine ran breathlessly through endless dark corridors and corners. Hours seemed to pass before a faint light seemed to break through the endless black.

“We’re free.” Jasmine exclaimed as they both climbed through a small portal to the ground above.

They were miles from the dark palace and anger burned in the princess’ heart.

“I wonder who that woman was…” Jasmine began. Aladdin threw her a questioning look.

“She was the one who freed me and warned me that Michael would be after us.”

Aladdin took her hand as they headed back towards Agrabah just as the sun was rising above the horizon.

“Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at Michael’s Palace:

“They’re gone!” Michael shouted at his servants, his eyes narrowed in disgust. He paced the length of the throne room and sighed angrily.

“How did they escape?” he pondered aloud. Suddenly his eyes became consumed with a deep loathing as he stopped in mid pace.

“Laurel…”

He stopped and ordered his guards, “Get ready…Agrabah is our next target. Prepare for war.”

And with that he left them. He headed down a long dark corridor…his eyes relentless in search for the woman who betrayed him…




Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.aladdincentral.org/library/viewstory.php?sid=810