Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Kinda Random but...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kinda Random but...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, according to the trivia track on the DVD, "Aladdin" takes place in the 15th century.
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The artefacts drawn in "The Lost City of the Sun" appear to be a sad imitation of early Mesopotamian work. The hieroglyphics on the wall Mozenrath walks past may be a vague attempt at pre-cuneiform writing from Mesopotamia. (Note that while attempts are made in the Aladdin movie to suggest Arabic is the written language, none of the words actually ARE Arabic words, and people read left to right like we do, instead of right to left. Just another minor oversight in the design work. )

Random, but a lot of the symbols that are in the pictures you showed are outside the Forty Thieves lair as well. I can get a picture of this after I get home from school.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:

Random, but a lot of the symbols that are in the pictures you showed are outside the Forty Thieves lair as well. I can get a picture of this after I get home from school.

Oh yeah, it's all coming together [/Kronk]
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Princess Aurora, what have you wrought!

Wrought, I like that word. Wrought, wrought, wrought, wrought, wrought.
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:

It's fun to say... like guava.

/Paul Reiser
Lennox Macbeth
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
Actually, according to the trivia track on the DVD, "Aladdin" takes place in the 15th century.

Thanks, Nez. I've been working for quite a while to run down the canon for time and place in the series (as impossible as that actually is). Does the DVD say anything about the location? Until I came across the site that said it was located in/near Baghdad, I had actually placed it further East along the Silk Road, in what today would be Iran. (I was going mainly by the various contacts with other nations - Greece via Mechanicles suggesting after 300 BCE, since it was Alexander who brought Greek culture to Persia, as well as the Turkish clothing, mentions of imported spice and silks (probably from India and/or China), as well as more offbeat things in the background images.) From those, I figured "Agrabah" would have been somewhere along the Silk Road between Baghdad and Samarkand. (I had toyed with the idea that it WAS Samarkand at one point, but then decided there wasn't enough Eastern influence.)

It's also nice to know that "canon" puts it in the 15th century rather than pre-first century. For one thing, there's more historical records from the 15th century to work from. Laughing Plus, with a few exceptions, a number of references come from mid-millenium rather than pre-millenium (including the Muslim references Calluna mentioned).

It does, however, mean that I'll need to go back and recorrect changes I had made to my fic to drag it back a few centuries. Mad Blah. Oh well.

Laughing Never mind me. A little OCD there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
The trivia track is full of shit; I gave up in disgust after about five minutes. Razz

I think what they *meant* to say was that the architecture was about 15th century, and that's just because that's the age of most of the architecture in Ispahan, Iran (Rasoul Azadani's hometown)
Princess Amber
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
Nez wrote:

It's fun to say... like guava.

/Paul Reiser

Oh, Lord. What have I started. Rolling Eyes
Princess Amber
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:

That would mean aurora is older than Jasmine because that was the 14th century in her time. Shocked She's like a hundred years older. I'll still make them the same age in my stories. Smile
Aurora 101
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I could see them singing Christmas songs... but my mind has been changed. It could never happen. They're muslim! Surprised
Aurora 101
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did spell musilm right....didn't I? Embarassed
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did spell musilm right....didn't I?

No, it's spelled 'muslim'. You had it right the first time.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurora 101 wrote:
I thought that I could see them singing Christmas songs... but my mind has been changed. It could never happen. They're muslim! Surprised

Girl, I've known you long enough...NO! Forget I said anything, alright? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum