Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Comics rant...
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comics rant...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Comics rant... Reply with quote

Disclaimer: If you've known me very long, you know I'm a big defender of the Aladdin comics, I encourage anyone to read them that can, and think some of the stories are awesome (although some also suck). I also don't know how much research the writers have done on their own.

That said, the editor has no freaking clue about anything.

So I was reading through the letters sections of the Aladdin comics the other day (long story), and this is what I found...

Twice someone wrote in to ask why Iago was around and Jafar wasn't. The editor replied that Iago had escaped the lamp, but Jafar was still stuck in the lamp inside the Cave of Wonders. Fair enough, I thought, this is an alternate universe. Except that then she went on to say that they should watch RoJ to find out more about this. What? Either she has never seen RoJ or is purposely lying because she doesn't want to say Jafar is dead or doesn't want to spoil people. I can understand not wanting to spoil, but isn't there a way to do it without lying? If she doesn't want to say that a character is dead that's just cowardly, and if it's the first reason... well, she shouldn't be editing a comic that uses RoJ as canon if she can't bother to watch it or at least remember basic facts about it...

Another time someone asked about Aladdin's parents. The editor said she didn't want to give any details (not wanting to spoil either issue #6 or KoT; fair enough), but then said in the original Arabian Nights story Aladdin's parents were both dead. Wrong, his mom was alive in that one...

Last but not least: Someone wrote in to say they were glad they could read the comics because they couldn't watch the series, as it was on while he was at work. The editor replied that she knew just what that was like, because she couldn't watch it because of work either. Okay, stop trying to stick series characters into the story, then. Rolling Eyes
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Last but not least: Someone wrote in to say they were glad they could read the comics because they couldn't watch the series, as it was on while he was at work. The editor replied that she knew just what that was like, because she couldn't watch it because of work either. Okay, stop trying to stick series characters into the story, then. Rolling Eyes"

~~That's the part where I went from shaking head sadly to full out head-desk. "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV! I don't watch the Aladdin series, but I edit a comic book about him!"

I enjoy the comics; I like some more than others. This is the moment I say thank you for making my reading of them possible. ^_~
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Comics rant... Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:

Another time someone asked about Aladdin's parents. The editor said she didn't want to give any details (not wanting to spoil either issue #6 or KoT; fair enough), but then said in the original Arabian Nights story Aladdin's parents were both dead. Wrong, his mom was alive in that one...

....Laughing

I thought that was at least one of the few pieces of information people knew about that story along with there's two genies. Jeez.

But now I need to read those letters. I always skipped them Laughing

Also, on the topic of comics, does anyone have the ones from the Comic Hits collection? How many other ones are there? All I have is 1-11 of the marvel ones Sad
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comics rant... Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
But now I need to read those letters. I always skipped them Laughing

Also, on the topic of comics, does anyone have the ones from the Comic Hits collection? How many other ones are there? All I have is 1-11 of the marvel ones Sad

The only reason I read them in the first place is because apparantly some people I know wrote in. Laughing And this time it was because I was looking for stuff about the Eden comic that never got published. Crying or Very sad

As for DCH: #6 is about the gang in North America for some reason Laughing , #9 is a bunch of short comics, one of which is Aladdin, and #13 is KoT. And that's as far as I know.

(see my PM...)
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Comics rant... Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
The only reason I read them in the first place is because apparantly some people I know wrote in. Laughing And this time it was because I was looking for stuff about the Eden comic that never got published. Crying or Very sad

As for DCH: #6 is about the gang in North America for some reason Laughing , #9 is a bunch of short comics, one of which is Aladdin, and #13 is KoT. And that's as far as I know.

(see my PM...)

Going back and reading these is fun

"If I had three wishes I would wish for a puppy, a magic lamp and an Aladdin and Jasmine stuffed doll". Well, if you wished for a working magic lamp...Laughing

And that woud explain why I could never find that issue with Eden. I thought I just wasn't looking in the right places, or it was in one of those comic hit issues I just didn't have Laughing

Gotcha!
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say as much as the editor may not have known Aladdin the Series I have a lot of respect for her (assuming it's the same editor as Comic Hits).

I managed to pick up about 4 issues of Aladdin when I was on holiday to the US. A few months later (maybe even a year or more now I think about it) I wrote asking if I could subscribe from the UK and if I could purchase any back issues (ok, my mum wrote for me I was like 12).

About a month later I got a package in the mail with a letter explaining that Aladdin ended with #11 and was replaced with Comic Hits but I couldn't subscribe as that was ending soon, but she had included as many back issues as she could find in the office free of charge! Nearly all the issues of Aladdin I needed and about half the Comic Hits series (including the Aladdin issues, KOT adaptation and the Hunchback adaptation special). Best customer relations I have ever known from a comic company.
Calluna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Shocked

Sorry, I get a bit upset about people not watching the series sometimes. Laughing
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh ! Oh Don't forget Aladdin has an Uncle that looks like Aladdin with a barber shop style moustache.

Oh there are other things that make you go "What the?" in some Aladdin universes out there.

Its like saying in the Television show SmallVille where Clark meets Lois Lane where in the comic book, they met in Metropolis when they are older.

hahaha Imagine us invading Comic Con, if Aladdin comic books continued we be pounding the comic creators comic book questions comparing to the truth of the Aladdin universe. Laughing I'm such a nerd.
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the comic book fans I've talked to seem a lot more laid back about continuity than we are. Laughing
Chris
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no, I know some comic fans who are pretty serious about continuity.

I like it myself, but as a comic fan I can accept that when there are probably about 100 DC Universe comics a month all by different writers/editors and they all share one universe, things aren't going to be a perfect fit and there are going to be contradictions. And I'm sure the same goes for the Marvel Universe.

But when it's something like say Superman, with 2 books a month, 2 writers and 1 editor then I expect good continuity.

Same with Aladdin, it's one show with one group of people working on it (and obviously a much larger scale than a comic), therefore I'd expect pretty solid continuity (which it has if you can figure out the proper order!).
Mariposa79
Lovesick Demented Reject

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I would love to say to the Aladdin comic gurus who do decide to make a continum to the Aladdin comics.

In an two part comic series issue 279, Aladdin was trapped in a cave and was surrounded by desert maruaders. all of a sudden in issue 280, a lever suddenly appeared and this time there was no genie or carpet. He escapes.
Where did the lever come from ? Where did the lever come from ?!

Laughing Laughing Haha always wanted to say that. Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum