Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Mistakes Made
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mistakes Made
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does that explain RoJ? It just has Iago watching Abu, and showing that Iago is still villainous. That's not tied to RoJ at all.

I can see "Hero with a Thousand Feathers" as one, to give Iago the conscience arc. But not TCAT.

Don't ask me, I read that somewhere. I'll try to find the site again. I don't understand it either... just don't shoot the messanger.

I can't wait for ROJ and KOT to come out on DVD. I'm so excited, because the special features. They should be pretty interesting seeing how I'm not as informed on the animation and other behind the scenes facts as I am on the original.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I liked the series, don't get me wrong, but it would help to say my favorite episode is "The Ethereal" because I like the "Aladdin and Jasmine" aspect of the Aladdin trilogy/series.

Ah, I disagree with you there. The "Aladdin and Jasmine" side bores me, which is something that probably keeps me from liking the original more. Episodes like "Bad Mood Rising", "Elemental My Dear Jasmine", and "Eye of the Beholder", that focus on the relationship, make me sleepy.

I do like "The Ethereal", though, just for the idea of it, though I think the execution could have used a little more work.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah, I disagree with you there. The "Aladdin and Jasmine" side bores me, which is something that probably keeps me from liking the original more. Episodes like "Bad Mood Rising", "Elemental My Dear Jasmine", and "Eye of the Beholder", that focus on the relationship, make me sleepy.

I do like "The Ethereal", though, just for the idea of it, though I think the execution could have used a little more work.

That's why we're not going to agree on these ideas. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I like romance. I like the action that goes along with it, and I LOVE Genie's humor. I just don't like the little adventures because it doesn't have to do with Aladdin and Jasmine.

I'm not trying to argue, but I found why we're not going to agree on ROJ... because the aspect I like isn't there, and the aspect you like is there.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, but I found why we're not going to agree on ROJ... because the aspect I like isn't there, and the aspect you like is there.

*Nods* the mushy stuff, and the over-the-top Genie humor both annoy me. That's another reason why RoJ holds an important place for me- it's the only time Dan does Genie in a movie, which I would have *loved* in KOT. *Sigh* But I've realized that now, after all the times I have seen KOT (which is *a lot*), I'm finally starting to find Robin's stuff in the movie hilarious. I cracked up during the Genie/Jasmine scene a few days ago, and now don't skip through his stuff. *Shrugs*
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, well see I like to think his over-the-top humor in the beginning of the first was due to the part that he finally had someone to perform to after 10,000 years of that building up. Part of who he is is to be a joker, and to not be able to let all your jokes out to someone for years is hard….(Kinda like us and our "build-ups" that we had a few weeks ago around here on the board. That didn't go over too well with some people Wink ) As the movie went on, he wasn't as loud and flashy as he was when he first came out of his lamp. I can't really say if Dan is a real life Genie, but Robin IS Genie. So, a lot of him is in the character already. However, Robin himself can be a bit much for people who aren't used to his style of humor. I didn't have a problem with him as Genie because 1.) the humor he brought to Genie isn't all of why I love Genie so much, 2.) I grew up watching Robin, so I'm used to the style of humor he brought to Genie anyway, and 3.) I think Robin Williams, Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler's style of comedy is hilarious and I am sure there are some people here who would disagree with me strongly, lol.
Then, by Dan being Genie it brought that high level of humor down like it should have gone during ROJ and the series because he let a lot of that energy out, and it wouldn't have showed any growth at all on that trip he took. I didn't really feel that special buddy bond with Dan that I get in the first with Robin, though. I get that Al and Genie are friends and all, but it seems like at times Genie is "his genie". Maybe it's just me, or because Al tends to talk to Jasmine more about issues than Genie at times, but that could be just a me thing too. But he brought Genie to a level that I think he needed to be at for a while. He was even more of a sidekick in the series, and I think his character needed that. I'm not sure what leaving Robin there would have done to Genie's character in the series, and the series itself. It's not like Robin can't do serious stuff or bring it down if he wanted to.
And even in KOT Genie's humor wasn't as out there as he was in the first movie with Robin back, IMO. It did jump up a little from the level Dan left it, but it's not like Robin did that character growth in the series or had it to work with. It's kinda like when Jeff did Mozenrath for "Black Sand." He was doing well until it got to the part where Al told him he made a mistake and Mozenrath was doing that pitiful beg for him to tell him what it was. It was so OOC for me. Mozenrath would not beg like that. He would have made a smartass remark, but not beg in such a tone and manner. But, it's not like Jeff had what Jonathon had created. So, with Robin being back it looks like Genie totally lost his mind in KOT and he's just hella excited Aladdin is getting married/finding his father, lol. But I can't see Dan in KOT either. He'd give Genie more of that sidekick tone that he did during the series, and I think Genie was needed to stop back up in KOT to be there for Al during this important time. Granted, some of the parts where a little pointless, but that connection between the two was back…at least for me. Feel free to ignore this if you haven't already, lol.
This is why I don't mind either Robin or Dan as Genie in any of the movies or series because they both brought something that I think the other couldn't do. Genie has never bugged me, and probably never will. Genie himself has a lot of sides, so it works out in the end. Very Happy
*takes off Genie fan hat*
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is why I don't mind either Robin or Dan as Genie in any of the movies or series because they both brought something that I think the other couldn't do. Genie has never bugged me, and probably never will. Genie himself has a lot of sides, so it works out in the end.

Robin Genie doesn't so much bug me as.. bore me. It just seems so redundant- I feel like he's missing a true personality underneath all the humor, but I do have problems with the way most of the characters are done in the original film (as I find them rather tiresome).

Oh, hell, why don't I just say it: I'm shameless Dan biased. There you go. Twisted Evil
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
Quote:

Probrably because Robbin Williams wasn't doing the genie so they probrably figured "ehh Robins not doing the genie so lets just do a crappy job on the movie"

You know what, you're probably right. But they knew that Robin wasn't coming back even before they started ROJ. I don't know why they would use Abis Mal either... that was a big mistake. It was a let down in animation, and the plot line wasn't that good either.

I think alof the reason people like Aladdin so much is the "Aladdin and Jasmine" aspect, and they kinda let that down in the sequels. I mean, I know KOT was all about their wedding, but you still didn't get that "lovey" feeling like you did in the first movie.

y'know i just relised somthin...thats probrably why not alot of people cared for ROJ, because RW wasn't Genie. I know for sure thats why my mom and aunt wouldn't buy it (also because they said it was a rip off...)
and i couldnt save for it 'cause I was only 4 when ROJ came out so... you can guess how rich i was at age 4 Sad I have it now but its my neibors and i refuse to give it back (like a dog with a bone)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, ahh but see behind every comedian is a true personality or tragic story that they won't let you see. I relate to Genie, so I see that unlying personality that is hidden underneath all the jokes and funny comments. I know, because I do it all the time. Very Happy If things get too serious, I tell a joke, joke about it, do something other than let the real emotions that are supposed to be there show. That's probably why I cry at the end of the first movie when Al sets him free. I get how much him being free meant to him as a person..if he was a person, lol. Then he made a joke to not let it settle in so much, but went right back to that underlying character.

....I'm thinking too much again. Confused
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:

you think ???? Laughing jus kidding
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Naga. You made a lot of good points. You know, Genie is one character that I almost never think about. I tend to focus on characters that I really like (and that are involved in my fanfiction world), and because I like to focus on pre-stories, Genie becomes a non-issue for me.

Personally, I find myself relating to Iago. I've begin to realize exactly how much like him I really am. We have the same way of making things worse for those around us, especially when they're down. But we still care in the end- I'm babbling at this point, but I hope you understand what I mean.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
Quote:

Naga. You made a lot of good points. You know, Genie is one character that I almost never think about. I tend to focus on characters that I really like (and that are involved in my fanfiction world), and because I like to focus on pre-stories, Genie becomes a non-issue for me.

Personally, I find myself relating to Iago. I've begin to realize exactly how much like him I really am. We have the same way of making things worse for those around us, especially when they're down. But we still care in the end- I'm babbling at this point, but I hope you understand what I mean.

*nods* I can relate to a little of all the characters, but Genie the most. No one ever really thinks of Genie as more than the comic relief, and that he has no real desires, wants, and feelings, (See Aladdin in "Some Enchanted Genie" when Genie tells him he is in love.) just as a lot of my old friends saw me. I never have problems like everyone else, and everything in my world is just peachy keen. I can't have a serious conversation or anything of that nature. I was put here to entertain and that's it. Just like they think Genie was put there to grant wishes and that's it. People get what they want out of us and that's it, we are no longer needed. There's a few people; however, who do stick around and disprove that constant cycle of misuse. But much like Genie, I can be too generous and willing to help when I shouldn't at all, then it ends up coming back to bite me in the butt at some point.
There's so much with Genie's character that can be played around with, it's crazy. *hugs Genie*
Dragonessa
Snarky Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know why Genie's sidekick part in the series is okay with me somehow? I think being a sidekick is basically the nature of a genie, they exist to serve, not to have wishes and ideas on their own. Of course I also see a true personality in him, but I think most of the time he is just a genie, no matter if he is a free one or not.

But when I watched the movie, a friend of mine pointed out that he maybe only makes this tons of jokes to keep everyone from seeing is sadness that he is a slave, to divert everyone from who he really is. And since I think Iago is also doing this constantly, it somehow touched me.

Lol, this made me think about it a lot, although I actually find Genie quite annoying Wink Then again, this is perhaps the reason why I love Aladdin so much, every character has a deeper level of personality than you can see at first sight. There's just more to them than meets the eye, even to Genie.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. That's something that has always bugged me. Sometimes everyone sees him as their buddy and best friend, but then other times they order and treat him like a "genie". I know that's what he is and all, but it seems like sometimes he is there for genie purposes, you know? I guess I can't expect too much out of this considering he is magical being, and naturally you are going to use that magic to help aid whether or not he is a genie, witch, sorcerer, etc. Genie is a genie. He's a pun in himself, lol.
Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iago wrote:
y'know i just relised somthin...thats probrably why not alot of people cared for ROJ, because RW wasn't Genie.
Bingo. That's what I was about to say myself. Everyone I know IRL likes Aladdin for Robin, or (if they're guys in their teens or twenties) because they think Jasmine is hot. The only people I've seen who were big into Al/Jas were online Disney fans.

Anyway, if you want to know where I'm getting all this information about KoT, most of it is here (the author has talked to Tad Stones and Robert Schooley, so I assume she knows what she's talking about. Wink ) :

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-10744/disneyania_e/aladdin.html

And the cel from the cut scene in RoJ is here:

Last edited by Calluna on Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
Iago wrote:
y'know i just relised somthin...thats probrably why not alot of people cared for ROJ, because RW wasn't Genie.

Shocked uhhhhh ok.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum