Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Canon spelling of "Mechanikles"...?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon spelling of "Mechanikles"...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckret2
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Canon spelling of "Mechanikles"...? Reply with quote

(Look at me show up for the first time in months, just to ask a really easy question.)

I've been trying for a while to find out the canon spelling of "Mechanikles's" name. I personally spell it "Mechanicles," because that's how Greek "-cles" names are rendered in most texts on ancient Greece that I've read, though I have seen some spellings that use a K as well (like "Hercules" vs. "Heracles" vs. "Herakles" and such...). Plus, the word "mechanical" has a C instead of a K. But most sources I've seen online spell it "Mechanikles."

Which led to me going through all of the episodes featuring Mechanic/kles that I can find, and all of my copies cut off before the credits, so I can't see how it's officially spelled there.

For those of you who have a copy of an episode WITH credits intact, which way is it spelled? I'm betting it'll end up being Mechanikles after all, but I'd like to check.
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the credits only list the actors and don't list which character each plays, so unless the character's name appears in an episode title (like Mozenrath) we have no way of knowing the canon spelling, if there even is one. If you look on VHS boxes and official episode guides and other things like that it's spelled all kinds of different ways.

I think my icon says it best. Laughing
ckret2
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... That is an awesome icon. XD Thanks for the info. In that case, I shall continue calling him Mechanicles without worries.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's killing me is I just checked on the figurine package I have for him and his name doesn't even appear. I guess Disney doesn't know either Laughing
ckret2
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Now that's sad, when it isn't even on the merchandise.

But speaking of which, there's a Mechanicles figurine?! My mind has just been blown. Do you by any chance know where it's from, and if it's still available?
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of a name what so ever.

There is! It's from waaay back in at least 1994 when they were making series figurines. I just saw one one ebay recently (like last week recently). If I see it again, I'll send the link your way!
ckret2
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that explains why I don't remember the figurines. I was way too young.

A link would be fantastic. Thanks you so much!
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your inbox Wink
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse my constant inactivity in this fandom. I never thought anybody would ever make a topic about Mechanikles, so I almost missed this.

As the previous sentence shows, my preferred spelling is with a K, simply because it somehow looks prettier in my eyes. I recall a friend of mine (who used to study ancient Greek) mentioning that Mechanikles is the most plausible spelling, but I don't really care either way. I'm just happy whenever someone writes anything about him, so as far as I'm concerned, people can spell it Mecaniklees if they want to. Laughing

But now that I think about it, I think an Aladdin flash game on Disney's site spelled it Mekanikles.
ckret2
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they really? Huh. Well, I guess that's as close to canon as we'll ever get...

But why did they have to switch out the CH for a K? Confused

(By the way, your icon is awesome. XD)
Calluna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there's also the series press kit, which spells it Mekanicles. Laughing I'm sure I've seen it spelled other ways on "canon" sources as well, so, yeah, if there is a spelling the writers agreed on we'll probably never know what it is.

VN - I actually did used to spell it Mechanicles, but switched to Mechanikles after reading a bunch of classical literature in college.

ckret2 - It's not really a "switch" if that that really is the canon spelling. And Greek don't have a hard C sound; they just have the K for that. Which made deciding how to spell it on my icon a lot easier. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm totally guilty of spelling it whichever way I type it out first Laughing
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
I'm sure I've seen it spelled other ways on "canon" sources as well, so, yeah, if there is a spelling the writers agreed on we'll probably never know what it is.

I wish I could take a look at the scripts because the name must be written in some way there.

To talk about another name confusion I sometimes encounter, it bugs the heck out of me whenever I see Destain or something like that in fanfiction. In the Finnish dub, the voice actors decided that they didn't want to pronounce the name of Mozenrath's mentor the English way and instead used the Finnish pronunciation (which has almost one-to one correspondence between letters and sounds), which means that the only possible spelling in the script is Destane.
Calluna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It drives me crazy whenever I see anyone spell it Phasir instead of Fasir. I mean, I don't think there's any evidence either way, it's just an irrational thing. (Maybe because it looks more Greek with a Ph and more Arabic with an F?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum