Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Villains of Agrabah
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Villains of Agrabah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasmine9
Streetrat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Villains of Agrabah Reply with quote

Many sincere apologies if this has been done before (I'm sure it probably has, but I haven't seen it in the last few pages of threads... if it's there, my bad!) but what are your thoughts on the villains of Agrabah/the Seven Deserts? Which one is your favorite and why? Which ones do you dislike and why? Thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses? Their endearing (or irritating) qualities?

I have to say Mozenrath is one of my favorites just because he's so powerful, yet he has such a "stuck up little suburban boy" complex. He's young and whines a lot, and seems to have such a sense of self-entitlement... yet he's this omnipotent evil being. I think it's hilarious.

So how about you guys?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a thread earlier this year about the villains, but it was a poll about your favorites or...something. I can't remember. Topics get brought up again and again a lot, though, so no worries!

But I think the series villains are really interesting if only because I'm not entirely sure what their deal is. Some of them want to take over Agrabah for various reasons, and some of them just want Aladdin and the gang to suffer, but why isn't always clear so I'm curious. They keep me engaged in what's going on. I think the Aladdin series in general has some of the better ones in Disney's history.

Abis Mal's my favorite, though. He's the only one that's really made the gang have to work to undo what he's already suceeded in or set in motion. He's just not smart enough to keep it that way Laughing. Mirage kind of does this, too, in a way, but she always leaves a huge flaw in her plans that allows for them to be undone pretty easily (She's turned the princess of Agrabah into a snake...but there's a tree that can change her back. She's constructed an obelisk that can destroy Agrabah...but there's a mirror that can stop it, etc. To her defense, they don't always know about the thing that will stop it, but you'd think that they'd eventually find out anyways and she would have gotten rid of those Laughing) With Abis Mal, a lot of the time, there is no solution outside of the thing that's causing the problem. You have to deal with defeating it directly and I like that.

That, and he makes me laugh. I use to quote him all the time as a teen. "There's evil in the air and hot cocoa in my mug!" Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say Mozenrath is definitely the most popular since he was drawn to be somewhat attractive, he is composed and intelligent, well-voiced, really cool, has a really home, has very evil (cool) magical plans, etc.

And while I enjoy his episodes (my co-favorited episode is the one when he kidnaps Aladdin), I have an immediate fondness to Haroud.

He is the only one of the theives who sticks with Abis Mal (reason unknown?), although I'm sure he alone could probably be quite a threat to the gang. I love the way he so coolly completes Abis Mal's stupid sentences.
Maybe he sticks around thinking that the crazy man might some day succeed, but when he fails at least Abis Mal gets the blame, not him.

I dunno. I feel like he is very underrated.
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I too love Abis Mal and particularly is "hot cocoa" line. (In a later episode: "There's always time for cocoa!" -Genie.)

Mozenrath is classic (and I especially love the theory that he's based on Michael Jackson. True or not, it is funny to think about) and the episode where he kidnaps Aladdin is one of my faves mostly because of Jasmine's attitude. I love when she appears near the end, standing on Carpet and says to Mozenrath, "I always get my man."
I have strange feelings on Xerxes: at first he really annoyed me, but then he kind of grew on me. The episode "Black Sand" when Mozenrath and Xerxes jump into the black sand, Xerxes yells up at the gang, "We will return! We will return! Don't think we won't! We will return!" and he keeps going on and on and on. I kept thinking to myself the first time I saw it, "Omg he needs to SHUT UP. Somebody SHUT HIM UP. STOP TALKING." Just at that moment, Genie drops a safe on him. I was like, "YES!" haha. Perfect timing.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite of the major villains is probably Abis Mal or Mirage. The former for being hilarious in a great way, the latter for being hilarious in a bad way. Razz

I'm also a big fan of Amin Damoolah, Hamar, Akbar, and the other Skull and Dagger guys. This may sound like a death wise, but I want to hang out there. Laughing
Booncy
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though she's not a villain per se I ALWAYS loved Sadira Very Happy! I mean who WASN'T in Sadira's position at one point in their lives with an unrequited crush?

I also liked Saleen as well and thought that she should've been used more often throughout the series.

I agree with the assessment on Abis Mal. Ironically his evil plans were always the hardest ones out of all of the villains to foil. Sometimes his episodes actually made me (as a Mozenrath-fan) jealous because I always thought to myself "Why on Earth is this imbecile getting evil plans/plots that are better off suited for someone as powerful as Mozenrath?". Nonetheless Abis Mal never failed to entertain me.
Jasmine9
Streetrat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I love how they put that irony in there - that these are plans that could potentially destroy Aladdin, but they only seem to fall into the hands of the one idiot who could possibly screw it up. Classic.

I always thought there should've been some kind of twelve-step program for the chicks in Agrabah who were in love with Al but could never get him - Sadira, Saleen, Brawnhilda... and maybe for the guys that wanted Jasmine: Uncouthma, Prince Wazoo, Prince Ahmed (you know, captain underpants from the beginning of the first movie...), and I'd be willing to put my money on Mozenrath. Come on, I can't be the only one who thought he secretly wanted to tap her...

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." -Alexander Hamilton.

www.postgraduatepurgatory.blogspot.com
Joblom
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm surprised we never got a villain team-up.

Suppose we had, how do you think that would work out? Who'd be the ring-leader and such?

http://goldy-gry.deviantart.com/art/Aladdin-Villains-68890652

http://goldy-gry.deviantart.com/art/Aladdin-Villains-2-75991942
Jasmine9
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's beautiful! Is that your work?

There was that one time Mechanicles and Abis Mal teamed up... and the title "The Flawed Couple" couldn't have been more appropriate! Ha. I think Abis Mal has a genetic inability to get anything right at all. But that's why we love him Smile.
There was also the time Mozenrath hired out Amin Damoolah (although I'm not really sure we can call him a "villain" so much as a benevolent thief) and I think there might have been one time Mirage teamed up with someone, but I could be wrong.

VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of the villains, but my biggest favourite is easily Mechanikles. He's hilarious, and I never get tired of his ranting and whining. The whole concept around him interests me, but I think his tricks got a bit old and started repeating themselves too soon. I always like to imagine him in situations that would force him to step out of his comfort zone. If I ever get back to writing Aladdin fanfiction, I'm going to write a story about him and the Sultan teaming up to defeat a villain who stole the Sultan's toys and Scooter for his collection.

It's a bit embarrassing, but I think he's really hot, too. I've always been attracted to older men with big noses. Laughing
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Aziz (Faziz?) from Seems Like Old Crimes as a villain. He kicks butt majorly in his "comeback" episode. Is it just me, or does he change accents/acting styles in his comeback episode? I liked his voice better in Seems Like Old Crimes.
Jasmine9
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely hear that about Mechanicles. I also never understood why he frequently used insects as the models for his machines -- even though they weren't real insects, wouldn't a germophobe like Mechanicles get grossed out by the mere thought of such dirty, filthy creatures?

As for Aziz, he totally did have at least a little bit of a change between his two (or three, depending on whether you consider Old Crimes one episode or two) appearances. In Seems Like Old Crimes, he's more of a bumbling, entertaining side-kick kind of a character, with Minos appearing to be the leader of the pack. But in Destiny on Fire (that was the one, right?) he seems much more malevolent and manipulative, vastly more powerful, and also a lot smarter. He's more of a scary character than he was at first.

APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if his voice actor was just replaced because in Destiny on Fire, he sounds a lot like Moze. Or maybe the two characters are voiced by the same person. I liked Aziz's bumbling sidekick voice! The "evil Englishy accent" gets so old sometimes. It's kind of funny to think that Aziz purposefully affected his voice just to seem cooler and more evil though Laughing
Joblom
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasmine9 wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful! Is that your work?

Nope, I wish. I'm afraid I can't draw my way out of a cardboard box. (how would one do that anyway?)

Jasmine9 wrote:
I definitely hear that about Mechanicles. I also never understood why he frequently used insects as the models for his machines -- even though they weren't real insects, wouldn't a germophobe like Mechanicles get grossed out by the mere thought of such dirty, filthy creatures?

Not necessarily. They really aren't any more dirty than any other organism. /science

Interesting point though... I'd have assumed the writers/animators would have gone more for some steam-punk-ancient-Greek mechs or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum